Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Holy poo poo there's a left wing version of insane right wing facebook images.

https://twitter.com/MontyBestUK/status/1201476770903576576

Like I don't technically disagree with the point but I feel like it could be communicated in a way that doesn't make me want to run the other way.

"Auschterity" is a good one, mind you. The Tories even say that working will make you free from it.

E: holding 21 is winning in blackjack. Holding a blackjack is winning in politics, depending on which alley you're holding it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I'd be a little bit leery of invoking the holocaust to criticise austerity?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I will forgive the bbc for all of their sins if they hire ricey

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

"Auschterity" is a good one, mind you. The Tories even say that working will make you free from it.

E: holding 21 is winning in blackjack. Holding a blackjack is winning in politics, depending on which alley you're holding it in.

More proof of Labour anti-Semitism smh

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Like I don't technically disagree with the point but I feel like it could be communicated in a way that doesn't make me want to run the other way.

I don't like these. I think they could easily be taken as anti-Labour messages given how when images get shared around the place they are often cut. There'd be a red background, way too many words, bad stuff, Jezza and a 'Vote Conservative' logo visible. People just have these things float past, they don't stop to read them.

Ed: yes that auschwitz one is horrendous. FGS delete it whoever made it!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 2, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm getting severe cognitive dissonance between style and content at the very least yeah.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
cant believe a fake rumour spread about the queen dying as labour released a new policy and the tories activated their late game bullshit ad campaign

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean, is it surprising that there's insane left-wing memes when Skwakbox and the Canary basically exist to propagate exactly such things?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Needs a fluorescent bulb emitting Mossad rays and some GMO corn in the background.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I'd be a little bit leery of invoking the holocaust to criticise austerity?
What would be a good comparison. We're not yet at the Bliain an Áir but we're well past the Harrying of the North. We're at least in Suuret kuolonvuodet territory.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I get that they're attempting to communicate unpleasant truths, but did they have to be so awful to look at? To most people, that eye-mangling density of imagery and variety of fonts will just scream "holy poo poo I'm nuts, none of this is true outside of my head"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Evil as the Tories are I don't think it's quite gotten to T4/Todeslager levels. Although I fully expect Priti Patel to set up Unit 731.

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 2, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They'd never do anything like T4, but only because it involved paying doctors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that even if you ignore the obvious contextual problems of a pro-labour campaign in 2019 appropriating imagery from the holocaust to make its political points, austerity is its own thing? It's not a particularly good comparison because it's not the tories sending out actual death squads to round up and murder people industrially because of their ethnicity, it's really just... how capitalism works but turned up slightly. The idea that wealth and the concentration of wealth at the top of society is good and nothing else matters, including people's lives, combined with the aristocratic mindset that the people who go to the posh schools and have all the money are better than everyone else.

It's not the same as ethnic cleansing, for more or less exactly the same reason that anticapitalism is not antisemitism. Austerity is more or less pure class war, just in the other direction.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It does have a bit in common with the Harrying of the North in how the funding is distributed though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's still funny that William the Conqueror was previously known as William the Bastard until he achieved his new name.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Tesseraction posted:

It's still funny that William the Conqueror was previously known as William the Bastard until he achieved his new name.

Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus swapped the last name for Cunctator after successfully frustrating Hannibal's campaigning in Italy. The old name meant approximately "warty-face-guy" and the second meant "the delayer" because he refused to fight battles and instead shadowed the Carthaginians, allowing Rome time to recover from their recent enormous defeats to Hannibal. I think that's a pretty good cognomen upgrade ;)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

What would be a good comparison. We're not yet at the Bliain an Áir but we're well past the Harrying of the North. We're at least in Suuret kuolonvuodet territory.

If we're talking globally I wouldn't be surprised if austerity deaths outstripped the Holocaust. Especially if you interpret particular famine genocides through the lens of austerity politics, even if they wouldn't have been formulated as such at the time.

Generally better to just not compare things to Auschwitz. In college, we had a lil CO2 box for euthanizing mice that we called "Mauschwitz". Seems iffy in retrospect (also Spiegelman did it first)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Crikey https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/1201446735945580544

This slightly mistakes it though - Lukasz wielded a pole, not the tusk, and was stabbed five times in a one-minute solo fight with the attacker, but still managed to chase him through the building until the maintenance guy, having just been stabbed, tumbles Khan into the street.

Lukasz then runs into the street with his pole (ooer) still ready to go (two er), screaming for the public to get away from the attacker, which this guy then says "which the Great British public refuse to do nowadays" and indeed they run forward to help disarm the attacker while fire extinguisher man and narwhal tusk wielder run out and continue poking the and dousing the fucker until other members of the public join in.

It was only at this point, when others had tackled the guy and gotten the knives out of his hand, that Lukasz allows himself to succumb to the stab wounds and bows out of the fight.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Rarity posted:

Look I was just out with the lads and we were having a bit of bants in the Whatsapp group, I dunno why everyone's making such a fuss

Best post in thread

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And for the record as seen in the thumbnail, Lukasz was cleaning glasses down in the basement but when he heard the screams from the initial victims he dropped what he was doing and ran to the scene two floors up, apparently he is a first aider and went to provide aid before he ended up becoming a loving combat hero.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Welsh goons:

Just out. Most deprived areas in Wales report. Might help in canvassing.

https://seneddresearch.blog/2019/12/02/where-are-the-most-deprived-areas-in-wales/

Report, infographics, etc on the link.

I think this is the most useful and readily accessible graphical link:

https://wimd.gov.wales/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 2, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I looked at my crazy gammon father-in-law's facebook page after having blocked him about 6 months ago.

The funny thing is, he's not far off on the problems, it's just that final leap of logic into what to do about them. He has a lot of memes about how the NHS is important and under threat (even sharing an infodump from a remain page). Tons of stuff about how the Lib Dems are liars. How the BBC are terrible.

But instead of looking into why these things are the way they are, he just rages against them and lets the tabloids feed that rage and misdirect it towards foreigners.

I almost feel though like he's primed for a conversion to Labour at the moment, and if I could have a calm, reasoned chat with him about it while looking stuff up on my phone, I could get him turn it round. I've never felt like that was possible before, because he's always had a kind of impenetrable, irrational anger about the issues.

But looking at his page, he is so frustratingly close to piecing it together in a way he hasn't before. His wife has chronic illness so maybe the NHS is what's making things less clear cut.

I guess the positive thing is that most of the poo poo he's sharing is giving off strong "Don't bother voting" vibes rather than "Vote Tory," so at least if I chicken out it's not a total loss.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Superterranean posted:

Best post in thread

You don't want to know why they call me Gibbo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

This reminds me of a favourite show, Better Off Ted, in which a memo gets sent out that employees must notNOW use offensive and insulting language in the workplace. Episode 8 in the second series, but all of it is worth watching. I can’t find any great sources for linking the original clip, but the actors tried to make each other laugh by being as completely filthy as possible, and if you like cursing you’ll probably enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7Nz4bIwss

Edit: on a rewatch, I caught a couple of jokes that are probably ableist, fyi.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 2, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Do we want to know why they call you Rarity? :ohdear:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

https://twitter.com/diaspora_is_red/status/1201347934572298242

Posting from the discord because lmao :discourse:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mga87IgkYMw

Here's that full UKIP manifesto launch I mentioned this morning. Seriously it's worth a watch, it's genuinely loving amazing. Half your nan, half Guy Goma.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Welsh goons:

https://seneddresearch.blog/2019/12/02/where-are-the-most-deprived-areas-in-wales/

This is a good read, one of the worst area is only 5-10 minutes from where I now live. (Rhondda).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:lol:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I looked at my crazy gammon father-in-law's facebook page after having blocked him about 6 months ago.

The funny thing is, he's not far off on the problems, it's just that final leap of logic into what to do about them. He has a lot of memes about how the NHS is important and under threat (even sharing an infodump from a remain page). Tons of stuff about how the Lib Dems are liars. How the BBC are terrible.

But instead of looking into why these things are the way they are, he just rages against them and lets the tabloids feed that rage and misdirect it towards foreigners.

I almost feel though like he's primed for a conversion to Labour at the moment, and if I could have a calm, reasoned chat with him about it while looking stuff up on my phone, I could get him turn it round. I've never felt like that was possible before, because he's always had a kind of impenetrable, irrational anger about the issues.

But looking at his page, he is so frustratingly close to piecing it together in a way he hasn't before. His wife has chronic illness so maybe the NHS is what's making things less clear cut.

I guess the positive thing is that most of the poo poo he's sharing is giving off strong "Don't bother voting" vibes rather than "Vote Tory," so at least if I chicken out it's not a total loss.

A friend's sister is a nurse up north somewhere. They're understaffed and relying a lot on agency nurses (mostly forins) who aren't particularly well-qualified or experienced and make mistakes. She's a kipper because everything wrong with the NHS in her eyes is the fault of the immigrant agency nurses. Beyond conversion.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Fuckin incredible :laffo:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The queen should fake her own death every now and then so we all get a holiday. She'd be able to get away with it a few times i think

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

RockyB posted:

:ntlised: the fuckers already. Labour are proposing £2billion to cut fares by a third.

This is a splendid idea but mainly, holy poo poo somebody bought :ntlised:. I'm so proud.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Can't believe Gibbo lied to me :(

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Welsh goons:

Oh hey, Rhyl is ranked 1 & 2 most deprived, that's right near where I grew up. Makes you proud :britain:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Just come back from canvassing in Exeter w/goons. Good folks to go canvassing with, had a mixed reception but a lot of people out (inevitably, given it was ten in the morning)

Then Ben Bradshaw joined us and he's a dickhead. Overheard him talking to a nana about how 'we' don't like Corbyn either, and that she should vote Labour so 'we' could have a 'sensible' leader. Left after that and won't be going back, there are better people than enemies of my enemies to campaign for

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Will from Chapo just tweeted out this thread and it goes a long way to explain the problems with all the accusations of left wing antisemitism.

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1201200502215626753

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Hi my tenants keep going on about this Gil O'Teen bloke, any idea who he is?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Look at this bollox:

https://twitter.com/MaajidNawaz/status/1201461002270851072?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Will from Chapo just tweeted out this thread and it goes a long way to explain the problems with all the accusations of left wing antisemitism.

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1201200502215626753

I disagee with this:

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1201204575971102722

Because it relies on the assumption that "supporters of israel" means "jewish" when uh, that's definitely not what I think of when I think of supporters of israel. I think psychotic, probably christian, warmongering shitheads. And I definitely think that they are a bad influence on our democracy, have a massive amount of sway with the media, and wouldn't want to spend any time around them.