Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Man, I hope they don't just keep Link exclusive to the SMB tileset. LTTP Link in the World set would be rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
No on tell Mac about the dash pads.

Macaluso posted:

You fool! You buffoon!!!

Also I wonder if I could make Link auto scrollers 🤔

Oh no!

Internet Kraken posted:

We have to go back.

I guess so. Where the hell is my twitter account password?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Update looks neat but I want bookmark site!! Nintendo!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

hcreight posted:

Man, I hope they don't just keep Link exclusive to the SMB tileset. LTTP Link in the World set would be rad as hell.

It's exclusive to the SMB tileset.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 6 PM PST/9 PM EST. Mostly Reddit Levels tonight.

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Moray Towers
By: Inu 1Y1-RFT-VYF

1. Piranha Planet
By: Alexamerling45 TY7-FHL-Q0G

2. Sky High Cargo Chase
By: Gotdatmoneyy 5PL-QKX-95G

3. Super Luigi World 3-3 Mount Sherbet
By: The2ArmedGuy W6M-RNG-S7G

4. Desert Dash
By: MickeyDorfling KTR-9HK-LDF

5. Toadette's Cute Mellow Park
By: KirbyQT 7XK-24R-2PG

6. Platform Pass
By: Merenub 2N4-HCS-7YG

7. Super Yummy Ice Cream Festival!
By: MarioMoon H03-KKQ-VBG

8. Flimsy Lift Sprint #2
By: Emmett86 K9T-Q3T-SGG

9. Koopa's Paradise [20s]
By: Sharknado_hs 9KT-MFV-SVF

10. Mad Mystery Manor
By: Torran2Glitchy C0N-1PV-SHF

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

On one hand I'm excited about Pokey. On the other hand, all my desert levels featured fake Pokeys made out of Goombrats/Spinys and I don't want to remake them.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Overbite posted:

Update looks neat but I want bookmark site!! Nintendo!

:emptyquote:

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
I wonder if there's anything weird you can do with pokeys. how does the grabby claw handle them? what happens if you stack 2 pokeys and destroy the head of the bottom one? cant wait to find out

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Haschel Cedricson posted:

On one hand I'm excited about Pokey. On the other hand, all my desert levels featured fake Pokeys made out of Goombrats/Spinys and I don't want to remake them.

I want to remake my Pokey pandemic level now, but that would require me to delete 70 other levels so it stays in the correct numerical value :negative:

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Here's a thing I did without enemies, just some platforming and jumping off of winged blocks to avoid the purple punch.

7SW-JGQ-SVF - Purple Nurple
Forest day and night theme, with rising and falling purple soda and platforming sans enemies. Maybe in a few days I will stuff it full of spikes and pokeys?

Two of my biggest actual wishes, spikes and blocks that can be melted with fire have been answered, but at the same time,

Argue posted:

Won't be satisfied until we get my wishlist:

https://i.imgur.com/fvPgbpB.mp4

I would love chucks, and the various dinos too! I'm looking forward to ridiculous link courses and spin jumping around complicated spike ball setups and whatever other silliness people come up with. Curious to see how arrows and down stabs work with everything, and could there be gannons in the future to play with my bowsers? I hope so! If they do add gannons though, I bet it's as alternate bowsers :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I haven't really looked into this since I'm positively obsessed with the good old Super Mario World tileset, but does Mario Maker 2 have the Game Boy tilesets? Especially the one from Super Mario Land 2, as that had Mario in a space suit for a couple levels. Would be interesting to make levels like that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No, it's got the bouncing ball powerup from Mario Land 1 in the Mario 1 tileset, though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm playing J-Spot's latest, Squeekstravaganza! I like it a lot but I am utterly baffled about how to complete the 4th section. Anyone finished it (or J-Spot himself) want to point me in the right direction? I die to the spiky blue blocks, I don't seem to be able to make the mice chasing me jump and hit the On/Off switch after I hit it the first time. I thought it might have something to do with the P Switch, but I can't manage to hit that safely.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

guppy posted:

I'm playing J-Spot's latest, Squeekstravaganza! I like it a lot but I am utterly baffled about how to complete the 4th section. Anyone finished it (or J-Spot himself) want to point me in the right direction? I die to the spiky blue blocks, I don't seem to be able to make the mice chasing me jump and hit the On/Off switch after I hit it the first time. I thought it might have something to do with the P Switch, but I can't manage to hit that safely.

you are supposed to hit the on/off switch, and remember that enemies can activate p-switches.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm wondering about the controls for Link. It needs to be simple and quick. My guess:

fireball = Sword
Duck = Shield
Duck+Fireball = Arrow
Up+Fireball = Bomb

Obviously hold sword to Pegasus boots and sword+down to do the thrust.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

guppy posted:

Are you maybe dying at the part where you're supposed to long jump? Some people don't know that move but you just tap Z while running and Mario will do a long jump through the blue spike blocks.

Here's a video:

https://twitter.com/JeffTMBG/status/1201640690138005504

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 3, 2019

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
I'm most excited about the new enemies. In fact, they're all that I care about and I just want more enemy types to play with. And the ability to make Mario 2 levels. And Mario Land 2 levels.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

welp once again i am being sucked back into the world of mario maker

and it's good

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live with some Mario Maker!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

J-Spot posted:

Are you maybe dying at the part where you're supposed to long jump? Some people don't know that move but you just tap Z while running and Mario will do a long jump through the blue spike blocks.

Here's a video:

https://twitter.com/JeffTMBG/status/1201640690138005504

Yup! Thanks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was just looking at the video again and... what if Link holding the bomb above his head is a dry run for the SMB2 style; the bomb even arcs the same way.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

This was posted in the switch thread: some goddamn genius is attempting a SMB3 'Lost Levels' type affair, and it looks boss: https://twitter.com/AegisCook?s=09

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Flint_Paper posted:

This was posted in the switch thread: some goddamn genius is attempting a SMB3 'Lost Levels' type affair, and it looks boss: https://twitter.com/AegisCook?s=09

That was me, but I also posted it ITT back in October.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: holy poo poo, check this out...

SMB3: The Lost Levels

I've played through all of these and holy poo poo, they really feel like how new SMB3 levels would likely play, authored by Nintendo, via SMM2.

It's the biggest argument towards level chaining/linking so far. They're so good!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Little Mac posted:

I'm wondering about the controls for Link. It needs to be simple and quick. My guess:

fireball = Sword
Duck = Shield
Duck+Fireball = Arrow
Up+Fireball = Bomb

Obviously hold sword to Pegasus boots and sword+down to do the thrust.

The arrow can be shot in three arcs, up neutral and down.

Argue posted:

I was just looking at the video again and... what if Link holding the bomb above his head is a dry run for the SMB2 style; the bomb even arcs the same way.

Don’t make me hope.

I will be in complete shock if they support this game for as long as Splatoon 2. I was surprised enough that they did this update.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

The arrow can be shot in three arcs, up neutral and down.

Don’t make me hope.

I will be in complete shock if they support this game for as long as Splatoon 2. I was surprised enough that they did this update.

I truly, sincerely hope that this isn't nearly the last update available.

Nintendo, I.... I'll pay for extra game styles.

I will :negative:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DalaranJ posted:

Don’t make me hope.

They said multiple times that additional parts would be forthcoming, Nintendo isn't really in the habit of announcing things they don't plan on delivering. Or do you just mean you didn't expect them to add this much?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess there was a event with 2.0 so there's footage out now today and it does show that Link is like any other powerup where you lose it if you get hit once. All the levels shown off (that were made by Nintendo) had pipes in every room to let you pick it back up if you got hit.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Straight White Shark posted:

They said multiple times that additional parts would be forthcoming, Nintendo isn't really in the habit of announcing things they don't plan on delivering. Or do you just mean you didn't expect them to add this much?

I forgot. :911:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In Training posted:

I guess there was a event with 2.0 so there's footage out now today and it does show that Link is like any other powerup where you lose it if you get hit once. All the levels shown off (that were made by Nintendo) had pipes in every room to let you pick it back up if you got hit.

Way to ruin the coolest power up Nintendo :smith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Way to ruin the coolest power up Nintendo :smith:
Why were you expecting this to be different from every other powerup in the series?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Kins posted:

Why were you expecting this to be different from every other powerup in the series?

Because it's wildly different and changes the gameplay entirely?

Like sure say it's far fetched but imagine getting it and you get 2-3 hearts to work with. Mushrooms are turned into half hearts and fire flowers are full hearts. I thought it would be a great way to make full zelda stages without totally defanging all challenge by including pipes with infinite power ups.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

In Training posted:

Lol of course. So much for that. Figured it was too good to be true

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I really appreciate SMB3: TLL's Beatles puns

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Lol of course. So much for that. Figured it was too good to be true
???? how is everyone surprised by the revelation that the powerup is in fact a powerup

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Think people are disappointed since it may be a bit harder to design the level around that power up and are forced to dump infinite Master Swords on them or make other decisions to ensure the player doesn't get stuck.

Even with that restriction, it should still be possible to make interesting levels around it. It's not like it's the Koopa Car in terms of really narrow use cases.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Amppelix posted:

???? how is everyone surprised by the revelation that the powerup is in fact a powerup

Because like the amiibo costumes, it's worthless to build a level around it if one gently caress up causes you to lose it. It's even worse because they gave you Link's wholes kit. I'm surprised because of that specifically. Like I went from "I can't wait to make a Link themed level" to "That power up is pointless". Unless you build a stage with no enemies I guess

Or I guess build a bunch of pipes that drop the power up constantly, which looks ugly and I hate doing that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3GRpuf9s68

I'm kind of really pumped for Link now. I don't know if I'll make any more levels (I've literally made one on my own, and two others with a lot of input and direction from my 5 year old son :3:), but I'm looking forward to playing through a ton of Link-based levels now :toot:

EDIT: I haven't watched this yet, but the above video doesn't touch on speedrun mode, which this next one apparently does, along with everything else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIyaQdF60MI

EDIT 2: Forget that second video, that's just general discussion on the trailer. Here's the GameXplain analysis we all knew was coming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRD9_MTOM_Q

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 4, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Because like the amiibo costumes, it's worthless to build a level around it if one gently caress up causes you to lose it. It's even worse because they gave you Link's wholes kit. I'm surprised because of that specifically. Like I went from "I can't wait to make a Link themed level" to "That power up is pointless". Unless you build a stage with no enemies I guess

Or I guess build a bunch of pipes that drop the power up constantly, which looks ugly and I hate doing that
Or build a level that's completable without a specific powerup, but with optional challenges/rewards (bonus rooms, big coins etc.) for sword-havers.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I should state for my own interests. It feels kind of pointless for the way I specifically would want to build a level.

I'm still gonna attempt to do something with it, but what I would want to do with it would basically require not having enemies at all. So for my own personal interest it feel like a disappointment.

Of course the thing I'm most excited for are the boost pads, so I'm sure I'm in the minority there as well :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

It’d be nice if there were a way to switch to a life bar, but this is not a new problem if you’ve ever tried to design around any other power up. There’s various workarounds depending on your level design but as long as you make sure the player can kill themselves to restart I think most serious players will look past it.