Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dogsicle posted:

it will be. Salem is mostly cavalry mobs so you'll have rider nodes as much as assassin/zerk/caster ones. casters also suck rear end offensively so most of the boss nodes are out for bond bonus unless you like tedium

What? No. There are three fights in the Singularity that have Riders and they're all weak bronze enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

definitely fewer than i remembered but Salem is battle light in general. i still don't think going full bond bonus is going to make most neutral class waves/bosses particularly fun. Nito and supports being excluded from that ofc.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sounds like I should level my Sanzang, she seems strong for a Caster

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

Okeanos was fine?

Orleans too. All they really need is less random wyvern attacks.

All the arcs are at least "OK," particularly by "mobile gacha game" standards (though that's a "genre" defining by hilariously lovely writing).

I think the most underrated arc is America - people always talk about Camelot/Babylonia, but I felt like America was the first arc that made me feel compelled to find out what happened next. All the ones before it were boring for most of their length.

dogsicle posted:

it will be. Salem is mostly cavalry mobs so you'll have rider nodes as much as assassin/zerk/caster ones. casters also suck rear end offensively so most of the boss nodes are out for bond bonus unless you like tedium

I think my most useful two servants, particularly in comparison with my experience in JP, have been Caster Nero and Shuten Douji. Both are immensely useful just as servants who fill a different niche than their class usually fills and are good at clearing waves.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 2, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sanzang just destroys everything so far.

Also now would be the time to listen to that Dollop about Matthew Hopkins I linked earlier.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Random speculation, spoilers up to the first like 5 minutes of the singularity (if you've Rayshifted into Salem you're good on this) plus spoilers on Abigail's true name:

"Medea" is the pillar but they actually don't want to burn everything down anymore and they've deliberately lit the Chaldea signal so we can solve the little Lovecraft infestation that's going on in Salem.

Feel free to point at this and laugh later on if when I get it wrong, I could use some mirth.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

As an anime only/non player fan, 1) what are the best summons you guys have gotten? 2) How aggregious is the gacha system compared to, say, Heroes of the Storm for instance?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hots is a totally different beast, and also much more generous. You can buy units in hots just from daily gold, but there’s no guarantee of the same in fgo.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Grouchio posted:

2) How aggregious is the gacha system compared to, say, Heroes of the Storm for instance?

Gacha is bad civilization.
Gacha is horrible civilization.
(This is an Altera aka Attila the Hun quote)

No, really, it may be on par with HotS random chests (I'd need to see the numbers on that), but there's no currency* you can buy the servant you want with.
*once per year they give a pick the 4* of your choice ticket and technically with 10 unregistered spirit origins you can get the 5* of your choice but those don't count

It's all loot chests. The game is a flat picture standing on four elephants standing on a loot chest, and it's loot chests all the way down.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

We still don't have a Ringmaster Costum and that's a crime.

Grouchio posted:

As an anime only/non player fan, 1) what are the best summons you guys have gotten? 2) How aggregious is the gacha system compared to, say, Heroes of the Storm for instance?

The gacha is evil, with 1% chance of 5* Servants, but I feel like it is counterbalanced by the game being very playable with common 1-3* Servants. There's always someone on youtube doing every new even super boss with a low rarity team. Therefore the trick is to love whatever Servants you pull and learn to use them.

As for my best summon, I'm super happy to have both Arjuna and Karna in my roster. Reuniting the brothers!

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

The best way I can put it is that even as a casual Free to Play player you will be able to get many 5* servants with time, you just probably won’t be able to get the 5* servants you want.

If you actually pay then god help you because unless it’s the biannual GSSR gacha you can pump hundreds of dollars in and still not get anything.

It is, however, perfectly possible to clear the whole game only with low rarity servants. But it is fairly difficult on the hardest boss fights and you may be unhappy when farming since a lot of the best farmers and supports are rare.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bakanogami posted:

The best way I can put it is that even as a casual Free to Play player you will be able to get many 5* servants with time, you just probably won’t be able to get the 5* servants you want.

If you actually pay then god help you because unless it’s the biannual GSSR gacha you can pump hundreds of dollars in and still not get anything.

It is, however, perfectly possible to clear the whole game only with low rarity servants. But it is fairly difficult on the hardest boss fights and you may be unhappy when farming since a lot of the best farmers and supports are rare.

Arash and Spartacus are free for all.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

As others have said, the rates on high rarity servants are just AWFUL and there's no mercy/pity counter or buy with currency system. However, as far as how generous the game is, the low rarity characters are actually full characters with stories and personality, rather than generics or the less interesting people, and they're often good gameplay wise too. Any event with some kind of super hard challenge quest, you'll find youtube videos where someone utterly humiliates it with a lineup of low rarity servants. So if your question is "how easy will it be to get my favourite character without spending money or being lucky", the answer is "very hard", but if your question is "is the game still fun and possible to clear even if my luck is terrible and I don't spend a cent", the answer is "yes".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

All the 3* Archers are ridiculously good, Cu Chulainn is amazing, Hans is a great support, Saint George is one of the best Tanks in the game, Mash is free to use and remains good throughout, etc.

You also get a garanteed 4* from a limited roster during your tutorial roll, and some of these (Emiya, Hercules, Lancelot) are pretty drat good.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
If you want to spend a reasonable amount of money and get something from it, that twice-yearly GSSR is a good way to go. You’re guaranteed one 5* servant for paid quartz (I usually buy the $40 option for each GSSR), and any of them will improve your gameplay options. Unlike other gachas I’ve played, the money is worth it for the story alone. Just accept there will always be one fave you will never pull.

Edit: You can also Grail low-level Servants to raise their levels and make them do even better damage. It’s very workable to remain free to play even if you have bad luck.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Grouchio posted:

The best summon I have is probably Waver

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
FGO in a nutshell: Pay for what you want. Play with what you have.

dogsicle posted:

babylon has its own set of enforcement knight style enemies :shrug:
They're weak to instant kill, at least.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

All the 3* Archers are ridiculously good, Cu Chulainn is amazing, Hans is a great support, Saint George is one of the best Tanks in the game, Mash is free to use and remains good throughout, etc.

You also get a garanteed 4* from a limited roster during your tutorial roll, and some of these (Emiya, Hercules, Lancelot) are pretty drat good.

don't recall if Lancelot was added in the JP refresh but he's not in the NA pool. that one still has the old top 4 (Siegfried, Carmilla, Herc, Emiya).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

*snerk*
Oh God Jalter is going to murder Handersen if she hears about that particular play.

Anyone got some popcorn to share before I snitch on him?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Squiddycat posted:

Sounds like I should level my Sanzang, she seems strong for a Caster

Sanzang is a good Servant. She's still considered a strong option in the Quick AOE era.

Omobono posted:

Feel free to point at this and laugh later on if when I get it wrong, I could use some mirth.

I'm guessing that it's Caster of Okeanos.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sanzo is in the special subcategory of raid servants like Kintoki, Scath, etc

they can remain relevant despite being ST and any other drawbacks they might have due to high ST damage and/or large batteries that make them compatible with stuff like BG. she can do some work for you next Halloween and in the Case Files collab. probably the Apocrypha colab too.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, some story stuff, which I could be wrong as I am guessing:

False Medea is this Caster of Okeanos in disguise.

Given she is a caster from ancient Greece and her NP is pigs, I'm betting it is Circe.

I don't recognize Abigail or Tituba but hoo boy the names Randolph Carter and Lavinia Whately are not good signs at all. Things have already gone sideways.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Factor_VIII posted:

I'm guessing that it's Caster of Okeanos.

Good catch, I didn't think of that. Wasn't she Medea's teacher? It would explain how she ran circles around everyone in Chaldea.

fake edit: :tviv: this Jeanne play is so bad it circles into amazing. Props to the actual writers for making it feel like something that had to be wrote under a surprise strict deadline.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, some story stuff, which I could be wrong as I am guessing:

False Medea is this Caster of Okeanos in disguise.

Given she is a caster from ancient Greece and her NP is pigs, I'm betting it is Circe.

I don't recognize Abigail or Tituba but hoo boy the names Randolph Carter and Lavinia Whately are not good signs at all. Things have already gone sideways.

Oh don't worry, if you recognized Abby and Tituba you'd know that things aren't just going sideways, but rolling off a cliff.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kyte posted:

They're weak to instant kill, at least.

Pretty sure that's only for the one quest where they cheat the death rates to show off the support servant. Outside of that quest they all seem to be 10% or 1%.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Omobono posted:

fake edit: :tviv: this Jeanne play is so bad it circles into amazing. Props to the actual writers for making it feel like something that had to be wrote under a surprise strict deadline.
Don’t forget that Hans and Billy Shakes were probably nursing hangovers at least as bad as Robin had.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Despite my avatar, I haven't been exposed to many spoilers about this chapter, and even if I was I don't think I would have believed the part about them putting on a silly play about the three Jeannes. Kind of a mood whiplash going from that to what comes afterward, but it was funny enough that I don't mind.

I'm happy to hear that they didn't do this time-gating thing in later singularities. it's annoying enough in events.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The timelock is specifically to torture NA players who wanted to 10/10/10 eresh on release, and you can't convince me otherwise.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

dogsicle posted:

don't recall if Lancelot was added in the JP refresh but he's not in the NA pool. that one still has the old top 4 (Siegfried, Carmilla, Herc, Emiya).

I was talking about Berserker Lancelot.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was talking about Berserker Lancelot.

Neither Lancelot is in the tutorial pool on either server.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Boy, I'm actually using Babbage a lot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

Neither Lancelot is in the tutorial pool on either server.

You sure? Huh, I was sure.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Boy, I'm actually using Babbage a lot.

Babbage Gang.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
BB (BabBage)

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, they kinda spoiled who Tituba is in the very first play, huh?

Also, huge thanks to Wrinkle and Celeste for their Chaldea Lunch Waver teams. 3655 bond points per fight.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 2, 2019

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Loving the story so far. I haven't been spoiled beyond the true names of characters and Abby's later ascension artwork, so I'm really curious to see where it goes from here.

As long as no one starts talking about cats later on

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
During the Thanksgiving gatcha I decided to have a 10roll and got spooked by another Stheno. It made me think of an idea for a servant: Valentine's Stheno (Alter Ego), the personification of emotions and wishes of those spooked by her.
Her NP is "Stheno's Chocolate" and it is similar to Jekyll and Hyde's NP in that it turns a male servant of your lineup into a Beserker with steroids, NP Charge with the demerit(?) of a taunt. Skills are Heart-Stealer (Male only NP Drain Rapid Word style NG Charge), Rejection EX (Male only Stun, buff removal) and Give Me Chocolate (3 turn heal).
The event gimmick is Stheno, Mata Hari and Boudica (they also get new forms) broke into your grail horde on Valentine's because you neglect them and made a singularity where they are S Tier servants.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
1) Salem is good.
2) I am having zero problems running an all-caster team. I too was filled with dread seeing 'oh no the first node is riders' but then yeah. Easy. This just reinforces my complaints about the other three EoR chapters being fine to relax and have fun with the bond bonus, but Shimosa actually kicks you in the dick for attempting it. Maybe I'll get my poo poo pushed in by later fights, who knows.
3) The play with the Jeannes was very silly and kind of a mood breaker but I considering how oppressive the atmosphere of the rest of the story is being I don't mind the attempt at breaking it up with some levity.
4) I'm glad my boy Sanson is getting some screen time without Madness Enhancement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59tNQvYc7c8
UFO christmas tree missile is good.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Oh boy, actually paying attention to Nezha's skills and NP, she looks like an amazing farmer. NP charge, Buster boost and NP strength up, what's the catch?

...Oh. Oh You need the battery maxed to get to 100 with a Kscope, and it takes 60 spine juice and 20 Magatamas to do so. Oof.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Now that's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ashsaber posted:

Oh boy, actually paying attention to Nezha's skills and NP, she looks like an amazing farmer. NP charge, Buster boost and NP strength up, what's the catch?

...Oh. Oh You need the battery maxed to get to 100 with a Kscope, and it takes 60 spine juice and 20 Magatamas to do so. Oof.

Now if you have a max limit broken k-scope, you're cooking with gas