Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

anilEhilated posted:

What the hell. Had no idea that was a thing.
Any chance for beam-parrying in the LP or do you have it all recorded?

I recorded everything ages ago. Wish I knew that at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Shichimen means seven faces, and they indeed have seven faces on their weird head mound thing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

bike tory posted:

For anyone playing along with the LP: you can parry the Shichimen Warrior's kamehameha beam thing. The timing is quite generous, and it makes the fight significantly easier.

Mother fucker

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

Mother fucker

Good thing I haven't played the game yet. I actually get to utilize this information!

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Dominicius posted:

The way we are going about this makes me think that every single head of the Ashina clan will be dead by the end.
That's the shinobi way of stealth. If you kill everyone, it's perfect stealth because it's the same as if nobody ever saw you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Crystalgate posted:

That's the shinobi way of stealth. If you kill everyone, it's perfect stealth because it's the same as if nobody ever saw you.
The burning of Hirata Estate? 100% stealth ranking, perfect marks in ninja school.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

anilEhilated posted:

The burning of Hirata Estate? 100% stealth ranking, perfect marks in ninja school.

Inosuke was blinded and his mother was to traumatized to process the events. Yep, that checks out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Akuma posted:

Re: Sekiro the last time I posted about this people assumed I was making it up or incorrect but I didn't have the guide to hand, so here's a tip:

The picture under this is Lady Butterfly doing a Consecutive Attack (a long string of attacks.)

If you've ever guarded and then let go and found you were still guarding an entire string of hits - this is why. People told me I was wrong and was thinking of something else, but no. Because people assume that deflecting all the time is better than guarding, they might never come across this.

Ultimately Sekiro is really poo poo about teaching you the actual, real mechanics. Great game, but I shouldn't have to buy a guide to find this stuff out. You'd have to experiment with every single consecutive attack string to figure out which ones can be guarded in this manner; or buy the guide.

Ain't that a kick in the head?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
My take is that it's just a hidden assist because the devs realised some of the attacks are way too fast to be perfectly deflected all the time. You cant really call it a proper gameplay mechanic because it doesnt follow any specific rules.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Ain't that a kick in the head?
This actually really threw me off in the early stages of the game - I assumed there was an input delay that wouldn't let me attack immediately after deflection and it turned out Wolf was still guarding. The result was not being hurt when I would have been if the attack happened, but it was pretty frustrating.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

anilEhilated posted:

This actually really threw me off in the early stages of the game - I assumed there was an input delay that wouldn't let me attack immediately after deflection and it turned out Wolf was still guarding. The result was not being hurt when I would have been if the attack happened, but it was pretty frustrating.

I feel like this is something I intuited and then internalized and forgot about consciously as I played the game, because I can't remember being frustrated by it at all.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oops wrong thread

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 7, 2019

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Ah, the quiet dignity of being shot point-blank.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8TfzFTM5Ys

Between today's video and this one that was posted earlier in the week, I believe we've had the full Sekiro experience today.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
"This game but with furries"

Lugaru, you just described Lugaru. And its sequel Overgrowth, I suppose.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Usagi Yojimbo is not an Eastman and Laird joint, its by Stan Sakai. Yojimbo does show up in some of the TMNT stuff but they didn't make him.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The visual design of the forest area is really beautiful. Even without many animals it manages to feel rather alive.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Splinter's backstory and relationship to Hamato Yoshi is actually dependent on media. Splinter is mutated from Yoshi in 1987 and 2012 cartoons and media based on them whereas he's Yoshi's pet rat in the original Eastman and Laird comics and the 80s live-action movies.

The IDW Comics series gave Splinter and the Turtles the backstory of being test subjects at Baxter Stockman's bioengineering firm while being the reincarnations of Yoshi and his sons which was also their backstory in 2014 film series though the latter drops the reincarnation part

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I found out last night that Snake Eyes in the Depths is not immune to poison. hosed up my sneak and she aggroed on me so I went back up on the platform to try and get her to reset. Well, she never does but she'll also stand in the muck until she gets poisoned. I let her kill herself for being a pain in the rear end :v: (You do still have to deathblow her though, just have to get 1 hit in and then do it). It takes a good long time but it does happen.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Them basket hounds, always scared of strangers.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I found out last night that Snake Eyes in the Depths is not immune to poison. hosed up my sneak and she aggroed on me so I went back up on the platform to try and get her to reset. Well, she never does but she'll also stand in the muck until she gets poisoned. I let her kill herself for being a pain in the rear end :v: (You do still have to deathblow her though, just have to get 1 hit in and then do it). It takes a good long time but it does happen.

Go figure. Turns out the weapon Sabimaru is just what doesn't poison her.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ThornBrain posted:

Them basket hounds, always scared of strangers.

Go figure. Turns out the weapon Sabimaru is just what doesn't poison her.

She’s super resistant and so Sabimaru cannot apply it fast enough, standing in the Poison swamp can, eventually.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Is there enough Sake in the game to see all the drinking dialogue in a single play through, or do you have to pick and choose or savescum to get all the special conversations?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The Samurai guy's story arc seems kinda weird. It's like they're trying to go for a Dark Souls thing where people lose hope and go hollow and it's very tragic, but there's no going hollow in this game. So he just kinda... stops? I guess we're to take it that he was haunted to death?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

The Samurai guy's story arc seems kinda weird. It's like they're trying to go for a Dark Souls thing where people lose hope and go hollow and it's very tragic, but there's no going hollow in this game. So he just kinda... stops? I guess we're to take it that he was haunted to death?

He looks extremely injured to me.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Following an enchanting lady playing any kind of instrument is tantamount to suicide in pretty much every folklore I've seen.

So yeah, either he died from injuries sustained from following her or from being so driven to following her he forgot to do things like sleep, and eat properly.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Thorn Pine Resin is also from Dark Souls. They are the buff items for different elements you may recall.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, the setting in this game is quite interesting. The previous souls games were all about worlds that were supremely hosed up and postapocalyptic/dying/sucked into an elder god's nightmares, whereas this one seems to be more... grounded, sort of. Less dead/dying/beyond hope of saving, anyway. Although the deeper we go into it, the more I wonder whether the first few areas seeming relatively normal feudal Japan-ish are just a facade covering some horrible truth (probably also that this world is hosed up and dead/dying/the figment of a great one's nightmares).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

edit wroooong tab and thread :argh:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 15, 2019

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

the more I wonder whether the first few areas seeming relatively normal feudal Japan-ish are just a facade covering some horrible truth (probably also that this world is hosed up and dead/dying/the figment of a great one's nightmares).
Suddenly I feel a need for Insight and more eyes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ousire posted:

Is there enough Sake in the game to see all the drinking dialogue in a single play through, or do you have to pick and choose or savescum to get all the special conversations?

There is enough Sake but sourcing it all is a slight challenge.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alavaria posted:

Suddenly I feel a need for Insight and more eyes.
There's plenty of hosed up poo poo to be discovered, but Sekiro's story is much more grounded in mythology and history than in fantasy - after all, unlike the other named games we know the time and place (Sengoku Japan) it's taking place in.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres themes and elements taken from both japanese myth and some injections of weirdness from Fromsoft's side.

However since this isnt strictly a souls game they've graciously become a lot more straightforward and the game just tells you about almost everything.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Each character you can give sake to has a conversation for each type of sake, and there are exactly enough in each play through to have all the conversations:
https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fextralife.com/Unrefined+Sake
https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fextralife.com/Ashina+Sake
https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fextralife.com/Monkey+Booze
https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fextralife.com/Dragonspring+Sake

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You might want to mark those as spoilers, we haven’t even met some of those dudes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've been assuming that most people.don't ressurect when they die and Wolf is pretty unique for that. Not the only one but one of the few.

And of course you can't draw life out of the enemies, only people you care about. :jerkbag:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

RareAcumen posted:

I've been assuming that most people.don't ressurect when they die and Wolf is pretty unique for that. Not the only one but one of the few.

And of course you can't draw life out of the enemies, only people you care about. :jerkbag:

Uh, the resurrection spheres getting filled in whenever you do a murder would suggest otherwise.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Uh, the resurrection spheres getting filled in whenever you do a murder would suggest otherwise.

I mean the dragonrot system life steal.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Dragonrot is the game's harshest punishment for you for being bad (along with some inferred plot things about the nature of Wolf's immortality and why Kuro hasn't given the power to more people.)

'Cause remember, the majority of mooks you kill respawn when you sit at an idol. Buddha's power is greater than yours :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

That's because whatshisname is ressurecting him. It's the boy who does it, not Wolf.