Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Is that Mariqueen on "Kicked in the balls"?

Vol 2 is my favorite of the 2 so far

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Not on Amazon music yet? Wtf!

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

wow, is all this saxophone jazz my man T Rez?? This is loving awesome.

Yup, he's studied trumpet and sax a bit. Back when he toured with Bowie in '95 he busted the sax out and did a solo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8rxWlUF3Eg

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
https://youtu.be/yMLL23l79KU

Track from volume 3. How is Trent just so good at everything he tries?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

Track from volume 3. How is Trent just so good at everything he tries?

Vocals by Laura Dickinson. Laura is known for being featured vocalist on a variety of Disney tv and movies.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress the jazz music was all original stuff by Trent? I honestly thought it was stuff from old jazz/music hall records, not original recordings by Trent.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and it got me wondering - has trent ever spoken about why he moved into the Tate house to record and the significance of the Pig references? Was he just being a 20-something edgelord?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

polyester concept posted:

I just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and it got me wondering - has trent ever spoken about why he moved into the Tate house to record and the significance of the Pig references? Was he just being a 20-something edgelord?

Not sure, but I remember him saying that he was confronted by (I think) Sharon Tate's sister over the fact that it seemed like he was just there to profit off of the murders and the legacy and all that, and that really affected him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Donovan Trip posted:

wow, is all this saxophone jazz my man T Rez?? This is loving awesome.

Madkal posted:

Holy gently caress the jazz music was all original stuff by Trent? I honestly thought it was stuff from old jazz/music hall records, not original recordings by Trent.
When I listened to it, I imagined that Atticus was playing the upright bass and that they were performing as a duo in a jazz club. I was cracking up imagining them in old timey suits playing jazz :lol:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Not sure, but I remember him saying that he was confronted by (I think) Sharon Tate's sister over the fact that it seemed like he was just there to profit off of the murders and the legacy and all that, and that really affected him.

I think the real estate guy tricked them into getting that house, since no one else wanted to buy or rent it. So they said gently caress it, and then it was only until they got there that they realized it was the Sharon Tate house iirc

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

A few years back I got to see Hans Zimmer performing live and last year I got to see the guy who did game of thrones music live.

It would be incredible if Trent and Atticus did a tour just performing score music

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think the real estate guy tricked them into getting that house, since no one else wanted to buy or rent it. So they said gently caress it, and then it was only until they got there that they realized it was the Sharon Tate house iirc

I just realized how weird it is that Manson makes a guest appearance in the video for Gave Up, shot at the Tate house, given the origins of Manson's stage name.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

A few years back I got to see Hans Zimmer performing live and last year I got to see the guy who did game of thrones music live.

It would be incredible if Trent and Atticus did a tour just performing score music

The Carpenter Tour a few years ago was amazing.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I remember an article/interview in a magazine years ago where Trent talked about meeting Sharon Tate's sister, and how she accused him of using her sister's death for shock value and how it brought home that there were real people involved in the tragedy and he felt bad about doing it.

Which was when I first thought that he might actually be a decent guy as well as a great songwriter.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

So he was just being an edgelord. Okay, that's fair.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Madkal posted:

Practicing for that Pixar movie I guess.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

So he was just being an edgelord. Okay, that's fair.

For what it's worth, he said he didn't know it was the site of the Tate murder until after he signed the lease. He did lean into it after the fact though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Leon Einstein posted:

For what it's worth, he said he didn't know it was the site of the Tate murder until after he signed the lease. He did lean into it after the fact though.

Isn't that sort of thing required to be disclosed upon a house sale, though? I mean, murder aside, if someone died in a house, don't realtors have to tell you about that? Or is that a dumb bullshit tv-fact that isn't actually true, like the 'one phone call' thing when people are arrested?

Trent: Yay, bought a house.
Someone: This was where Sharon Tate was murdered.
Trent: Oh yeah? Cool!
Tate's sister: No, not cool, she was my sister.
Trent: You are right. Not cool. Sorry. :smith:

Is this basically how it went down?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Some states have a disclosure requirement about deaths in the structure but many do not.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I thought he just rented it.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Isn't that sort of thing required to be disclosed upon a house sale, though? I mean, murder aside, if someone died in a house, don't realtors have to tell you about that? Or is that a dumb bullshit tv-fact that isn't actually true, like the 'one phone call' thing when people are arrested?

Trent: Yay, bought a house.
Someone: This was where Sharon Tate was murdered.
Trent: Oh yeah? Cool!
Tate's sister: No, not cool, she was my sister.
Trent: You are right. Not cool. Sorry. :smith:

Is this basically how it went down?

Except add in that he named the studio Pig, which is what the Manson family wrote on the wall of the house in Sharon Tate's blood, and it likely went on to inspire all of the Pig/Piggy references on TDS.

Found the interview:

quote:

While I was working on Downward Spiral, I was living in the house where Sharon Tate was killed. Then one day I met her sister. It was a random thing, just a brief encounter. And she said: "Are you exploiting my sister's death by living in her house?" For the first time the whole thing kind of slapped me in the face. I said, "No, it's just sort of my own interest in American folklore. I'm in this place where a weird part of history occurred." I guess it never really struck me before, but it did then. She lost her sister from a senseless, ignorant situation that I don't want to support. When she was talking to me, I realized for the first time, "What if it was my sister?" I thought, "gently caress Charlie Manson." I don't want to be looked at as a guy who supports serial-killer bullshit." I went home and cried that night. It made me see there's another side to things, you know? It's one thing to go around with your dick swinging in the wind, acting like it doesn't matter. But when you understand the repercussions that are felt ... that's what sobered me up: realizing that what balances out the appeal of the lawlessness and the lack of morality and that whole thing is the other end of it, the victims who don't deserve that.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, like I said, even if he didn't know at first, he sure leaned into it when he found out. He even took the door with him to NOLA.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Thanks for digging that interview up, I tried to find it a while ago and didn't have any luck.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If you have not been watching the show, here is a song from volume 3

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Am I alone in thinking that 90% of all TR&AR's soundtrack work is too samey? Like when the social network came out it was a breath of fresh air because at least it was different than most other scores, but to me most of everything they've done sound like an extension of Ghosts I-IV and a little Hesitation Marks. I get that's their signature sound but I have stopped listening to most of their soundtrack work beyond an initial skim through because there's just not much interesting going on.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Am I alone in thinking that 90% of all TR&AR's soundtrack work is too samey? Like when the social network came out it was a breath of fresh air because at least it was different than most other scores, but to me most of everything they've done sound like an extension of Ghosts I-IV and a little Hesitation Marks. I get that's their signature sound but I have stopped listening to most of their soundtrack work beyond an initial skim through because there's just not much interesting going on.

I get you, but that's most soundtracks really. A lot of the time the goal isn't to make something super memorable on its own. Even though that's how I've been trying to consume them anyway. (I think the only movie I've actually seen that they've scored is The Social Network, actually.) For what it's worth, I remember the Vietnam one being pretty distinct.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Their david fincher scores are all unique as hell. Once they started doing other stuff it’s kind of like diminishing returns.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't remember anything from a few of them, though I also haven't listened to them as much as NIN stuff. I bet if I listened to them more often, they'd probably stand out more to me.

Social Network score will always stand out to me though, and recent stuff like Mid90s and the Watchmen stuff has stood out to me too.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 2, 2019

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I think the watchmen score actually has a bunch of unique tracks for TR/AR compared to their other soundtrack work. IMO it's the best ost they did since the social network, which also had some unique songs like the cover of in the hall of the mountain king, and more recognizable tracks instead of just moody atmospheric soundscapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7okwONyEGMM - very orchestral and bombastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9odockw_M - could've been an uptempo instrumental track from nin's main oevre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3B7SVQh054 - literally a jazz track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEiUNXFk5GY - very ghost-ish but more melodic

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Am I the only one that gets serious Halloween vibes from the song they play every time they show (Watchmen episode 1 spoiler) Judd's murder? It's something about the style of synth he's using that gives me that lo-fi 80s John Carpenter feel. Which is weirder that my brain goes there since the score for that film was on a piano.

Either way the show rules and the soundtrack is definitely contributing to it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Wild T posted:

Am I the only one that gets serious Halloween vibes from the song they play every time they show (Watchmen episode 1 spoiler) Judd's murder? It's something about the style of synth he's using that gives me that lo-fi 80s John Carpenter feel. Which is weirder that my brain goes there since the score for that film was on a piano.

Yes, most definitely. Trent is a fan of John Carpenter's work, and TR/AR's cover of the halloween theme is cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAbDvqPFXvQ

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wild T posted:

Yup! Get that too. Very Carpenter esque

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I loved when they worked with Fincher because he would specifically ask for a type of vibe or experience. The gone girl OST is just so loving weird and off putting. I love it

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I never saw Patriots Day, is it worth watching? I like to expereince score with the movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I loved when they worked with Fincher because he would specifically ask for a type of vibe or experience. The gone girl OST is just so loving weird and off putting. I love it

The scenes that accompany “The Way He Looks At Me” followed by “Technically, Missing” are even more amazing because of the contrast between the two songs.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I never saw Patriots Day, is it worth watching? I like to expereince score with the movie.

it's extremely jingoistic but a good tense and interesting watch. the score elevates it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

From last night's episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4fQhHBuvc0

There's something so simultaneously beautiful and sad about Trent covering Bowie :smith:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

From last night's episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4fQhHBuvc0

There's something so simultaneously beautiful and sad about Trent covering Bowie :smith:

One of my favorite Bowie songs ever. Amazing.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Impressed with his restraint in trying to sing that