Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

IOwnCalculus posted:

IDK, I've seen first/second gen Mopar minivans do some crazy poo poo in the name of church camping :v:

:laffo: you are not wrong. Here it was usually Suburbans though. So many suburbans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:laffo: you are not wrong. Here it was usually Suburbans though. So many suburbans.

Suburbans are still trucks underneath so offroading those hardly even counts. Not blowing up a transmission, now that's a feat for a Suburban.

I distinctly remember on at least two occasions my dad would get a proper-hosed blowout on the way home from camping with our Grand Voyagers, and another dad dragged the oil pan of his minivan just wrong enough to spin the drain plug out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

IDK, I've seen first/second gen Mopar minivans do some crazy poo poo in the name of church camping :v:

A Mopar minivan is on my list of potential Gambler rides. Mainly because I want to camp in it rather than a tent, but also because of the absurdity of it.
Also on the list: Crown Vic, possibly in ute form, lifted Vette Kart, lifted Fiero Kart, lifted RX-7 ute.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Can anyone give me a rundown on roof racks? I have a ton of dumb questions on them, but I'd like one of those ARB awnings on the next vehicle I buy. Can that attach to pretty much any name brand roof rack I buy? Do you leave the awning attached to the rack all the time when you're driving around, or just when you're going out somewhere where you might use it? Do people steal them from your parked car? Also, do the roof racks really make it that much louder while driving?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Can anyone give me a rundown on roof racks? I have a ton of dumb questions on them, but I'd like one of those ARB awnings on the next vehicle I buy. Can that attach to pretty much any name brand roof rack I buy? Do you leave the awning attached to the rack all the time when you're driving around, or just when you're going out somewhere where you might use it? Do people steal them from your parked car? Also, do the roof racks really make it that much louder while driving?

I spent a lot of time researching racks and honestly it just never seemed like I was going to make a good choice. That said now ~7 months after my decision I am very happy with my rack choice. I wish I could have gotten the 2.2M length but it was out of stock and I didn't want to deal with waiting. There seems to be two kinds of main racks; platform racks (what I am using) and basket style racks. It seems like a lot of the basket style will usually bolt on to the factory load bars. That makes everything lifted higher, and then you have more things to consider like weight/load limit. It seems like either choice of rack you get there should be a mount that will allow you to install the awning to your car. I have seen universal style ones that are for clamping on round type bars, or clamps for oval type bars to mount on. No comment on how well those would hold up to speed or how sleek it will look when installed. Most big platform racks are going to be around $1500 plus or minus some dollars.

Popular platform style racks generally have a higher load limit and they are very sleek. Many like mine are modular so you have a huge variety of optional things you can add on. As you can see from my post the mount was dead nuts easy to install and the finished product is very nice. It doesn't look boogered together or anything that I really appreciate. Popular brands: Eezi-Awn "K9" (my choice), Gobi, Rhino, and Bowfin were all ones I considered for my truck.

I leave the awning attached all the time. I have been at speeds north of 80 MPH with no ill affects. My ARB is a "bag" type awning too. People have not stolen anything I have attached. My roof tent would be a ball ache, but an awning would in theory be pretty easy to swipe.

Roof racks are louder. My Lexus has some very nice insulation because Premium Vehicle and a little air dam that runs under the chin of the front of the rack. With my sunroof cover slid back to let light in I can hear wind noise. With the cover in place not really. I have basically no use for my sunroof at all other than opening it up and making it easier to grab my little velcro straps for my roof tent.

I am working on the draft for my next post (Can your Grand Caravan do THIS??!!) in this thread! I am going through photos and video to post as well as :words: so hopefully tomorrow I will share some good stuff! To hold over, have a pic I took of a Lexus GX that was built as heck I passed on my drive back towards home from the adventure:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I leave mine on the rack at all times, but don’t run the racks all the time. The arb roof racks for the 100’s are really easy to take off tho because they have seperate feet that bolt into the roof of the car and then 6 bolts hold the rack to those.

They’ll fit pretty much anything you can throw them at- If your rack has sides, you drill holes and bolt them to that. If it’s a flat rack, you use a 90 degree bracket, if it’s roof rails, just use a bracket for that too.

On my ARB deluxe rack the awning is just bolted straight onto holes drilled in the uprights for the sides, but on my ARB roof top tent rack, they’ve got a specific bracket they make for fitting awnings to that that fits between the feet and the rack itself

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Thanks for the roof rack info, seems simple enough. I may be wrong on this, but it seems like for once it's easier to find aftermarket parts for older versions of the LC/LX/4runner/GX, I imagine because no one is beating up their brand new $100k LX 570.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Looks like I am about to pull the trigger on a '04 gx470, 170k miles but 1 owner with a full history at the lexus dealership that is selling it, $10.5k. Sadly it has navigation, but its in good enough shape with such a good history I feel like I can't pass it up. Still trying to come to terms with spending over 10k on a 16 year old suv with 170k miles....

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

slurry_curry posted:

Looks like I am about to pull the trigger on a '04 gx470, 170k miles but 1 owner with a full history at the lexus dealership that is selling it, $10.5k. Sadly it has navigation, but its in good enough shape with such a good history I feel like I can't pass it up. Still trying to come to terms with spending over 10k on a 16 year old suv with 170k miles....

Seems a tad high although full history helps; a lot of these trucks will have been serviced at Lexus dealers that probably report into Carfax etc. on service so that’s not going to be super rare.

Quick local check, here’s a ‘04 no nav with 184k for $6300: https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/aurora-car-for-sale/7023490402.html

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Yea, there definitely seems to be a premium for these trucks in the Seattle area. I had thought l
about flying out and driving home, but it's a hard sell to the wife with a toddler around. I travel enough for work as it is. Is rust a concern with Denver cars?

Even better than car fax is being able to run the VIN thru the Lexus website so you get to see the notes about everything that was done during the service. From that I can see the original owner brought it to the dealer at least every 5k miles, if not sooner. I still need to go in and actually drive the thing and make sure that the rear suspension works properly before I hand over any money. And I got an email about being handed off to a different dealer, so we will see how it goes today.

I have actually been pretty amazed at the number of these trucks that haze zero reported maintenance on either Carfax or the Lexus site.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 1, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

slurry_curry posted:

Yea, there definitely seems to be a premium for these trucks in the Seattle area. I had thought l
about flying out and driving home, but it's a hard sell to the wife with a toddler around. I travel enough for work as it is. Is rust a concern with Denver cars?

Even better than car fax is being able to run the VIN thru the Lexus website so you get to see the notes about everything that was done during the service. From that I can see the original owner brought it to the dealer at least every 5k miles, if not sooner. I still need to go in and actually drive the thing and make sure that the rear suspension works properly before I hand over any money. And I got an email about being handed off to a different dealer, so we will see how it goes today.

I have actually been pretty amazed at the number of these trucks that haze zero reported maintenance on either Carfax or the Lexus site.

I just had a car shipped from Pennsylvania for $900 so if it’s a car you were really interested in I suspect you could still come out very cash positive while not driving it back yourself.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Re: shipping - Like Tremek said it’s a good option, should cost somewhere in the $300-900 range depending on difference. That opens you up to markets like CA, AZ, NM, etc. where rust isn’t a thing.

Re: roof racks - I’m really happy with my Rhino Rack. It’s aluminum so no corrosion issues and the t-channel accepts standard M8 channel nuts so I’m not limited to just ‘official’ Rhino accessories. Also it’s super low profile so I can still cram my truck into the garage.

A better view thanks to a friend and his drone. This was taken Saturday at Rauschenberg Creek Off-Road Park as part of the FJNortheasters Turkey Trot event. They’re an awesome bunch and the signal-to-noise ratio is very favorable, e.g. they’re very into getting out and doing stuff.

Not my pic and not my 4Runner (I wish!), this dude bought a brand new TRD Pro and promptly replaced most of the suspension with an Icon dual shock kit and all the trimmings. When asked about it he mildly stated that he had done all the work on the truck in his driveway except for painting the fenders.

Lunch break!

And the piece de resistance, a bright yellow *manual* FJ in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlWo5PYnofs

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Fantastic picture!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tremek posted:

I just had a car shipped from Pennsylvania for $900 so if it’s a car you were really interested in I suspect you could still come out very cash positive while not driving it back yourself.

That is true, but I don't think I would feel comfortable buying a car off a random person on CL without ever looking at it. Buying off something like BaT wouldn't be an issue.

Arishtat posted:

Re: shipping - Like Tremek said it’s a good option, should cost somewhere in the $300-900 range depending on difference. That opens you up to markets like CA, AZ, NM, etc. where rust isn’t a thing.

I have been watching SF/LA area CL for a while since I have to go to SF often for work, but nothing was really showing up that ticked all the boxes. The amount of trucks I would find that looked like a great deal, but after running them thru the lexus site and seeing they hadn't been to a lexus dealer since 2005, got old. I was also watching AZ CL, since its good to have an excuse to go visit my grandmother.

I ended up buying the one from the Lexus dealer. Got them down to $10k and they are dropping it off for me this morning. Time to start tire shopping, as it has basic street tires on it that are at the end of their lives. Are K02's still the go to? My buddy recommended Falken A/T3 as good alternatives that are a bit cheaper. I have never been into offroading before, so this all new for me.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

slurry_curry posted:

That is true, but I don't think I would feel comfortable buying a car off a random person on CL without ever looking at it. Buying off something like BaT wouldn't be an issue.

I have been watching SF/LA area CL for a while since I have to go to SF often for work, but nothing was really showing up that ticked all the boxes. The amount of trucks I would find that looked like a great deal, but after running them thru the lexus site and seeing they hadn't been to a lexus dealer since 2005, got old. I was also watching AZ CL, since its good to have an excuse to go visit my grandmother.

I ended up buying the one from the Lexus dealer. Got them down to $10k and they are dropping it off for me this morning. Time to start tire shopping, as it has basic street tires on it that are at the end of their lives. Are K02's still the go to? My buddy recommended Falken A/T3 as good alternatives that are a bit cheaper. I have never been into offroading before, so this all new for me.

Congrats on the car! I have AT3Ws on our 200 series right now and while they’re a little floaty/wander-prone versus the KO2s I had on it previously, they’re also substantially cheaper. Interested to hear your impressions if you go that way. FWIW I have my 3rd (total, across my 200, 2500 Suburban, and now my Raptor) set of KO2s and I continue to like them.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Congrats on your purchase slurry_curry, I don't think it is a bad thing to spend a few extra K's on a known service history truck.

But like Tremek said and for anyone else tuning in, shipping a vehicle across the country is much, much cheaper than I ever thought it would be now that I do it all the time.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tremek posted:

Congrats on the car! I have AT3Ws on our 200 series right now and while they’re a little floaty/wander-prone versus the KO2s I had on it previously, they’re also substantially cheaper. Interested to hear your impressions if you go that way. FWIW I have my 3rd (total, across my 200, 2500 Suburban, and now my Raptor) set of KO2s and I continue to like them.

huh, good to know. Seeing as the gx is going to be my "DD"*, I would probably want to spend the extra cash on the k02's if they have better road manners. I plan on doing some offroading with a buddy who drives a new tacoma, and mostly using it as a truck for all my home projects. The interior is in good shape for the miles, but not nice enough for me to care about loving it up. Which helps me care less as my 16 month old spreads cheerios and other food across the back seat.

*I only commute to my office once a week and its only ~6 miles door to door, but usually in hosed traffic. Other than that, I barely leave my neighborhood. I think I have put less than 15k miles on my ls430 in the ~3 years I have owned, and most of that time it was the only car we owned.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

slurry_curry posted:

Nice! Congratulations on your new vehicle.

You really cannot go wrong with KO2s. I swear that I see a set of KO2s for every other kind of tire put together at events. Other viable options are Cooper Discoverers, General Grabbers, or the aforementioned Falkens.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Only had a couple seconds to snap a quick picture when they dropped it off. It looks surprisingly small next to the ls I think the tire purchase is going to be sooner rather than later. The tires that are on it are ok, but are definitely useless off pavement, and I don't think they will be great in the wet.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I'll go against the trend and say i wasnt as impressed with the KO2's as I was with the original KO's- I got terrible tread life on my 100 and they're hyper expensive for something that only lasted 40k kms.

I went to Toyo AT2s and they're REALLY impressive. Quieter than the KO2's, wearing way better (still got over 50% tread left at 35K kms) and they do really well offroad- I was in sticky black clay yesterday on some tracks for work and while i had to lock the centre and rear diff to get up a hill that was more so I had 3 tyres spinning trying to get grip instead of 1.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

Honestly you can't go wrong with either the AT3W or the KO2. I was really happy with the AT3Ws on my WJ, I'm really happy with the (much embiggened) KO2s on my TJ.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Thanks for all the tire input. I think I am going to go for a set of AT3W's, mostly since they are ~$200 less than the k02's sound like they are still good tires. Then its time to go up in the mountains and see if I can get it stuck!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Great job slurry_curry! You’re going to love it! I’ve made a post about being basic as hell, which means I bought the K02’s.

I have some sad news involving Laney. In eighteen years of driving this happened and I’m so discouraged and disappointed.
[Snip]
I’m phone posting and my daytime is just inundated with the effects of the Thanksgiving sale we had at work but I’ll try to update soon...

Fake edit: balls the Awful app isn’t loading pics so I’ll do it the old fashioned way in a few. I lunched the front end into the back of a Dodge Journey. :negative:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Nooooooo, but time for an armored front bumper?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
At least you hit a vehicle with no redeeming qualities :yotj:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Kastivich posted:

At least you hit a vehicle with no redeeming qualities :yotj:

I shall make a novel with the title ‘The Lexus; an unexpected journey’

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I shall make a novel with the title ‘The Lexus; an unexpected journey’

Nailed it!

Also the subtitle to the book.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Nooooooo, but time for an armored front bumper?

gently caress thats ugly....

According to the guys on the Lcool forums, you can make the 100 series full deluxe winch bar (With all the upper bar work to protect the headlights) fit with a little bit of modification to the grille mounts to move em in a few mm to clear the top hoop

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
In addition to just absolutely annihilating any vehicle in front of you, you can easily transport small dead animals on the front deck of an ARB going 80+ mph on the highway, as well as use tie straps to attach string trimmers or larger dead animals to the front.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Well this thread took a weird turn.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

aioli is just mayo posted:

In addition to just absolutely annihilating any vehicle in front of you, you can easily transport small dead animals on the front deck of an ARB going 80+ mph on the highway, as well as use tie straps to attach string trimmers or larger dead animals to the front.

I...what?

Here is a pic.

The ARB will definitely be going on during the rebuild.

And here is a pic of happier times for my next post should I ever get a free minute to write up the words

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Why is there a fox there :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This is not as bad as I imagined it would be. :unsmith:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Here is a pic.

I totally missed this happening, drat sorry!!! But now you have an excuse for "upgrades"

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

taqueso posted:

This is not as bad as I imagined it would be. :unsmith:
The weirdest thing is the radiator fan apparently went into self preservation mode and was running on high even with the key off and removed from the ignition. I waited to see if it was a "turn off when cooled down" thing but it appears permanent. The big crease upward in the hood allows for direct access to the battery. A 10mm socket and the neg battery wire was removed so I fixed the drain! :toot:

everdave posted:

I totally missed this happening, drat sorry!!! But now you have an excuse for "upgrades"

This just happened on Tuesday of this week. Total ball ache for sure; this thread has consistently been "back dated" for the sake of making sure I have a steady stream of cool/interesting content.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, so at a minimum new bumper, quarter panel, hood, headlight, daytime driving light, probably radiator fan, maybe radiator?

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

Wrar posted:

Why is there a fox there :(

I found him on the road and he was too majestic and grizzled to leave there, so now he is in my freezer awaiting a mount.

If you take a check from insurance instead of letting them fix it for you, consider replacing both headlights with the plastic ones from an LC100, if you were ever considering retrofitting projectors and HIDs in. The glass headlights require dremeling apart the glass, the plastic headlights are, as I understand it, literally screw in.

That electric fan is the condenser fan for your AC. If you tear into this yourself, I imagine you'll find a short in the wiring somewhere.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I was going to say if i was in your situation i'd get a 100 series nose put on it, since you've gotta replace the grille and bonnet anyway.

But I prefer the look of the late 100's nose over the LX face..

Man I wish mine was that shiny... Actually, I wish mine was Sandy Taupe, but Im too cheap to either get it resprayed or vinyl wrapped since either of those options are hideously expensive in Australia (its about $4K to vinyl wrap a 100, and you wont get much change from $10K to do a full body respray on one because of the absolute acres of paint on them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I think the LC does look better than the LX with regard to grill/headlights but swapping all that over I believe is a more involved thing that one would think.

I dropped the truck off last night, my buddy ripped into it for the claims adjuster to come and have a look at it. The prognosis is...not good :smith:

He will be calling me soon but he is thinking that the adjuster might just total it out. If that happens I will definitely buy it back and have it fixed. To be fair on the 12 mile drive to his shop I was amazed how there were no vibrations, steering tracked straight, not even wind noise or anything.