Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh my god the cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

For some reason Channing Tatum is co-producing a film adaptation of 'The Maxx'

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/23/channing-tatum-to-take-on-a-90s-superheroa-and-it-isnt-gambit

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

asecondduck posted:

Oh my god the cringe

to be fair, at least he shows some modesty and doesn’t try to pin the film’s failings entirely on Fox. also, the overlong first act, where he clearly had the most creative control, is easily the best part of the film

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Huh. I'm a huge Maxx fan, so i'll watch it, but it's hard to think of a comic that was more beholden to a very specific time, place, and ambience than the Maxx.

It'd be like rebooting Daria.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

This will happen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Huh. I'm a huge Maxx fan, so i'll watch it, but it's hard to think of a comic that was more beholden to a very specific time, place, and ambience than the Maxx.
Instead of a current show they can sell it as an early 90s period piece.

I'll see if they can stick the ending that made the cartoon so drat good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

This will happen.
I don't know where it stands now, but this summer there were reports of a Daria spinoff centered on an adult Jodie happening.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

I for one am hugely anticipating the reboot of Beavis & Butthead and Celebrity Deathmatch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh jesus gently caress

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I forget how the rights to the Maxx go. If Sam Keith owns it completely or if MTV has any ownership over the character. Regardless, it’d be nice if Messner-Loebs got some sort of kickback.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I for one am hugely anticipating the reboot of Beavis & Butthead and Celebrity Deathmatch.

They brought Beavis and butthead back a few years ago and it was very good.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Oh jesus gently caress

If it's anything like Girlfriends or Blackish it's gonna be great

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

If it's anything like Girlfriends or Blackish it's gonna be great

But what if it's not

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I'll see if they can stick the ending that made the cartoon so drat good.

No, I demand they go full bore Maxx; banana slugs and horse-Maxx and balloon fairies. If we're going to do this thing, let's do this thing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

He's the only guy with a wide enough jaw to pull off the role.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
But how's his overbite?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The MTV series is all the Maxx adaptation anyone needs, fight me.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The concept for the show actually came first. MTV made a deal with Keith to come up with a show for Liquid Television. Same Keith and whoever at MTV came up with the concept, and William Messner-Loebs was brought in to write the comic, and help flesh things out.

The Maxx action figure was probably one of the last toys I actually played with, and I remember trying to convince my dad to buy me the bag Iz’s at a comic show.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

But what if it's not

I trust Tracee 🤷🏾‍♀️

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Maxx first showed up in that same weird little anthology issue that had Deathblow and Bloodwulf in it, right?

I remember somebody coming into the store and thinking that issue would net them a ton of cash because the Maxx was on TV and all. It did not.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

The Maxx first showed up in that same weird little anthology issue that had Deathblow and Bloodwulf in it, right?
Darker Image #1, yeah. Image always used to put out little mini-anthologies for all their upcoming new books.

It was always fun collecting the preview comics in the early days of Image because, what with the massive delays caused by Image's crazy unprofessional output, they would often have previews for characters that wouldn't appear in an actual comic for years.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Maxx is bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's one of about 10 thousand indie comics where the main character is a weird inhuman thing but his girlfriend is a hot human babe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The woman in the Maxx is drawn to have a belly and a big butt/thighs. But it's bad because almost the entire plot revolves around rape.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

The woman in the Maxx is drawn to have a belly and a big butt/thighs.
Yeah. Julie is drawn on the thin side, but she's not cheesecake material like Rogue/Polaris were at the time. And she recognizes that her body has realistic proportions/"flaws"

It's only in the outback that she gets the amazon warrior queen look.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Been ages since I read Maxx but isn't it about trauma and how some people can't get deal with it/don't deal with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gone is a serial rapist and Julie was raped by a hitchhiker when she was in college. Don't remember Sarah's deal other that Gone being her daddy.

Julie is also dealing with, iirc, running Dave/Maxx over and the childhood trauma of trying to keep a mortally wounded rabbit alive and watching it suffer through a prolonged death.

The Outback is supposed to be empowering, but the show explores how much of that wish-fulfillment is just a coping mechanism to retreat to when Julie doesn't want to deal with her trauma, and the extent to which she's dragging Maxx into this as a codependent toxic relationship.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Madkal posted:

Been ages since I read Maxx but isn't it about trauma and how some people can't get deal with it/don't deal with it.

Yes. All the weird poo poo in the Maxx is unresolved psychic trauma made manifest. Mr Gone, the main villain, in an attempt to escape his own trauma, got into weird spiritual rites and basically punched a hole through reality and into the collective human unconscious, and poo poo keeps escaping.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yes. All the weird poo poo in the Maxx is unresolved psychic trauma made manifest. Mr Gone, the main villain, in an attempt to escape his own trauma, got into weird spiritual rites and basically punched a hole through reality and into the collective human unconscious, and poo poo keeps escaping.

If I remember right even Julie's working as a social worker was to avoid dealing with her own issues by helping others with theirs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

If I remember right even Julie's working as a social worker was to avoid dealing with her own issues by helping others with theirs.
Yeah. It's also penance for the hit and run.

And the series was like "well are you really helping them with the martyr savior act? Or is this just so you can feel better?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

These thumbnails make both these films look like TV shows from the 90s.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I do find a lot of streaming services choose baffling images that make the film look kind of lame. No idea why.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Karloff posted:

I do find a lot of streaming services choose baffling images that make the film look kind of lame. No idea why.
THE ALGORITHM causes the screencap to vary now and again. I first noticed it when Stranger Things went from a cool Drew Struzan-like poster to El walking in the dark limbospace.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Thumbnails are a pretty common and easy split test for Netflix:

https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/selecting-the-best-artwork-for-videos-through-a-b-testing-f6155c4595f6

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAtuMu_ph4

Huh, that looks to be about what I think we all expected it to be.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAtuMu_ph4

Huh, that looks to be about what I think we all expected it to be.

I have a lot of questions about this movie, like when it takes place and what impact (if any) it has on the future of the MCU, or what it's going to do to make me care about this character that is dead and gone. This trailer answered none of them. It actually felt really vague and generic.

I'm sure there will be future trailers that offer more details, but right now I'm surprisingly disinterested.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Looked really good up until that last bit which looked like a lazier version of a scene that Shoot 'Em Up probably did way better.

Jamesman posted:

I have a lot of questions about this movie, like when it takes place and what impact (if any) it has on the future of the MCU, or what it's going to do to make me care about this character that is dead and gone.

Jamesman.

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose
Yeah it looks kind of whatever right now. Hopefully another trailer and more info will make it more interesting, but the fights should be cool. I like the white suit and after midsommar I’ll watch anything with Florence Pugh in it. I’m Lisa buying Al Gore’s book levels of excited.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Trailer was quite likeable. I like Red Guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fangz posted:

Trailer was quite likeable. I like Red Guardian.

David Harbor is generally a crowd pleaser.