Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rent-A-Cop posted:

WWI had a more satisfying ending.

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of being offended by a mild unspecific World War I joke of all loving things.

*Makes a 'Star Spangled Banner' pun*
"GUYS CAN WE PLEASE NOT MAKE JOKES ABOUT THE WAR OF 1812?! THAT IS VERY HURTFUL"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Many bothans died to bring us this dad joke

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Too soon I guess

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of being offended by a mild unspecific World War I joke of all loving things.

*Makes a 'Star Spangled Banner' pun*
"GUYS CAN WE PLEASE NOT MAKE JOKES ABOUT THE WAR OF 1812?! THAT IS VERY HURTFUL"

Am I the only one who recognized that WWI comment as classic SA sarcasm/irony? That's pretty much all we used to do around here...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
WWI definitely subverted expectations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I thought the reboot with the assault rifles and heavy bombers and nukes was a bit much. And the villain they got to replace the Kaiser was trying WAY too hard. It was transparently just more of the same with a healthy dollop of trying to one up the last thing. "Oh, you liked tanks? Well now they're bigger and have huge guns and they're everywhere." Like they forgot what made the original special.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Owlbear Camus posted:

I thought the reboot with the assault rifles and heavy bombers and nukes was a bit much. And the villain they got to replace the Kaiser was trying WAY too hard. It was transparently just more of the same with a healthy dollop of trying to one up the last thing. "Oh, you liked tanks? Well now they're bigger and have huge guns and they're everywhere." Like they forgot what made the original special.

I love you.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

'oh great another superweapon'

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

When viewed in tandem, the World Wars conform to the ancient storytelling technique known as Ring Theory. In other words,

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Based on prior experiences everybody thought it would be quick and easy. But then it turned out to be a brutal slog that went on even past the most out-their projections. Every time it seemed like this had to be when it was finally over, it just kept shambling on. When it finally ended the vast majority of those who walked away were left embittered and exhausted. Those few who argued that it was actually a good thing if you thought about it were scorned. And while we wouldn't know it until it was over, it would give rise to providing right-wing extremists with a large public platform with which to argue their views.

And to think that was just TLJ. They're making another one of these things!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sydin posted:

Based on prior experiences everybody thought it would be quick and easy. But then it turned out to be a brutal slog that went on even past the most out-their projections. Every time it seemed like this had to be when it was finally over, it just kept shambling on. When it finally ended the vast majority of those who walked away were left embittered and exhausted. Those few who argued that it was actually a good thing if you thought about it were scorned. And while we wouldn't know it until it was over, it would give rise to providing right-wing extremists with a large public platform with which to argue their views.

And to think that was just TLJ. They're making another one of these things!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's wild that this, out of all, turned out to be the best star wars thread

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Walrus posted:

'oh great another superweapon'

It's clear they didn't even have a coherent plan to make a sequel. Like, they set up dirigibles as this whole thing where you think there's going to be payoff and just drop them between films.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ww1 at least left room for a sequel. And side stories.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fartbox posted:

Can we not joke around about WW1? A lot of people died in that war, a huge amount

Have some loving class

Imaging registering an account on the Something Awful forums only to wind up making posts like this one. In GBS of all places

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Having Hitler survive at the end of WW2 was a weird decision, were they going for a sequel or something?

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

It was pretty obvious that they had plans to continue the Pacific theater for at least another two or three years. I've seen some behind the scenes stuff on how far along they were with prep for it (it was even going to be called "Operation Downfall", a pretty sick name imo), they had millions of Purple Heart medals readied. It was going to make Overlord look like a playground fistfight, since they had free reign to focus all of their budget and attention on it. But I guess they thought the audience would lose interest after the European war arc got resolved so quickly, and just asspulled those superweapons to have Japan just up and quit. Lazy writing. :rolleyes:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Looking at some of the background material for the origin of "Germany" and man this stuff is more convoluted than the Similarian.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

General Patton was such a Mary Sue, it makes me sick

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

They were building up that superweapon forever but in the end the Slavic hordes just beaten down all the stormtroopers? Way to subvert my expectations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
When the first one came around, everyone was pretty excited because we hadn't had one of these in so long. So everyone rushed off to join in and there was a lot of initial enthusiasm. But then it was kind of just the same old thing, when we were hoping for something special and new. Still, a lot of people believed in the potential, so we were kind of waiting for the next one to really sell us on it. Maybe they could still recapture the magic. We were willing to give it a try.

That first entry, it left a lot of things unresolved. So people were curious to see where this setup would lead. But the second one was just totally off the rails. The old Good Guy Ally was wiped out basically offscreen before the fight even started, even though they just won the war not long ago, and the bad guys had built this huge army from who knows where. I mean when the last one ended it seemed like they had nothing left! Anyway it ended up finagled into just redrawing the same old battle lines from the first one even though it didn't make any sense. The bad guy's motivations were nonsensical, and the old hero just pouted about how he was tired of this poo poo and didn't want to get involved. Then after the bad guys are mostly falling apart anyway, he finally jumps in at the final act and steals the credit like he did all the work. And don't even get me started on that spaniard or italian or whatever. He just mumbled a bunch of nonsense, talked a big game but contributed nothing, and then switched sides. I'm not sure if he was insane or just a jerk who was bored. All these characters were so unbelievable.

Anyway the whole thing was a disaster and even though a lot of people ended up turning out for the second one, it just really dampened the public's appetite for more. Most of us are just tired of this poo poo. The people in charge though, they don't get it. They keep trying to make these spin offs of side shows, but it's just not the same. Some people show up, sure. But the reception is usually lukewarm at best and they end up costing so much money to make it doesn't seem worth it. The whole thing has really gone down hill.

My opinion: if it weren't for the video games I don't think there would be any value left to it. At least some of those are good.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 2, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

QuarkJets posted:

General Patton was such a Mary Sue, it makes me sick

MacArthur's the key to all this, if we get MacArthur working... 'cause he's a funnier general than we've ever had in the wars...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So there's this great far eastern empire that won't surrender and continues to fight fanatically because they hold their emperor as some kind of godhead? Seems like a pretty on-the nose orientalist trope smdh.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Yeah right, like a bunch of uppity Russian T-34 tanks could defeat the mighty German Panzerkampfwagen Schnauzerfocker and its 5.5 inch Mittelschwanzkanone, this poo poo is so unrealistic :rolleyes:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If you watch the prequel closely you can see a cameo appearance by Hitler as a trench guy who gets mustard gassed

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If you watch the prequel closely you can see a cameo appearance by Hitler as a trench guy who gets mustard gassed

His mustache doesn't even match the sequel though! Fuckin hacks can't even keep their lore straight.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The best part of the prequel was that thing that could dice the operator, and landed on balls.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

dont kinkshame

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

The best part of the prequel was that thing that could dice the operator, and landed on balls.

Oh sure, the ball-dicers. But you really need to read the EU comics to understand their importance

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You're telling me they named the guy who's death set the plot into motion after an Indie Rock band? That's some George Lucas level naming.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

You expect me to believe there was a second world war in the works when the first world war was barely over?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You are not having a stroke or a weird vivid post-thanksgiving dream, they really are doing a Star Wars take on of Legends of the Hidden Temple hosted by Jar Jar's actor.

https://news.avclub.com/jar-jar-act...source=Facebook

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

those reddit spoiler pages are down, are they available somewhere else?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Kazak posted:

You expect me to believe there was a second world war in the works when the first world war was barely over?

If cinema taught me anything, its that trilogies are all the rage nowadays.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sydin posted:

MacArthur's the key to all this, if we get MacArthur working... 'cause he's a funnier general than we've ever had in the wars...

when MacArthur's not there, people should be asking: 'where's MacArthur?'

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I saw this and I thought of you guys

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Creamed Cormp posted:

I saw this and I thought of you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Who needs a girlfriend when you have The Force.