Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

genericnick posted:

So how can I get Kim to lend me his gun so I can shoot the body down, now that I'm specced for motorics? Is it a hidden authority check?

Nah, I think just ask nicely and he'll let you after his failed attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

Nah, I think just ask nicely and he'll let you after his failed attempt.

Got it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Alpheratz posted:

Its amazing how the RPS writers went from the initial kneejerk rejection of DE to actually falling in love with the game

The current deputy editor (Alice Bell) came in hot to review the game as usual, which imho was a pretty big mistake of their part. This is a game that needs plenty of mental space for the player to work through the many ideas it presents, and you can't do that in a small amount of time.

Besides, it must have been staggeringly difficult given RPS' bouts of liberal pseudo-woke-ness to realize that the game can only tackle such difficult subjects as it does if it did not allow the absolute moral poo poo garbage options to the player. Alice made the mistake here of not remembering "depiction does not mean endorsement", particularly given the whole context of the game. I think she turned around on it given the whole bunch of other opinion pieces about the game that appeared later, but eh, DE stands for everything RPS apparently is about so not giving it a recommended is very silly

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

RPS's review was glowingly positive, let's not mischaracterize it. The only major complaint Bell had was that the game throws a fuckton of worldbuilding text at you, and if you don't care for that world then the game really holds no appeal for you.

The implicit contrast, I think, is that other RPGs have mechanics like combat and stealing and whatever. Those things tide you over when the world-building doesn't click with you. I think that's a fair point.

In any case, the Recommended decision seems to always come from a very personal place for RPS. I can think of plenty of games where I felt their recommendation was undeserved. I can respect that they aren't pretending to be neutral like the other sites. Don't think we need to dunk on them, particularly when this game is in no shortage of accolades.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I didn't mean to dunk on them; my point is that their usual approach caught them unprepared, perhaps? I felt that the recommendation became implicit with the other writers coming along and putting their thoughts out there, instead of the explicit one coming from a review.

also

hahaha, I didn't get that Encyclopedia check first time

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

tripwood posted:

Also, there are hints that Harry may have grown as a street urchin himself in a street gang, so it explains why Cuno can learn to respect him so easily. Possible source here: https://discoelysium.gamepedia.com/The_Fifteenth_Indotribe
Lol, I didn't read that as a street gang at all, that's just growing up Eastern Europe style.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, it is a figure of speech, like "brother from another mother". That fact that English isn't the writer's first language is insane to me, with the level of nuance he achieves.

I specifically took it to mean he's a cop from a different precinct. Brothers in blue, but sort of from a different "family," which makes him your half-brother. That it's Esprit de Corps telling you that makes sense too, IMO.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Lol, I didn't read that as a street gang at all, that's just growing up Eastern Europe style.

kinda like the kids in season 4 of the wire. no opportunities, no real education and the only 'easy' way out was joining the drug trade.

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 1, 2019

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Alpheratz posted:

Its amazing how the RPS writers went from the initial kneejerk rejection of DE to actually falling in love with the game
No way I’m ever forgiving them for stiffing out the “RPS Recommended” / “RPS Bestest Bests” badge.

I MEAN

If DE doesn’t deserve the gently caress out of it

Then, honestly, who the gently caress even does at all

Perhaps a hamster posted:

This so loving much

Foglet fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 1, 2019

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Accordion Man posted:

I honestly felt not having Kim with me really stressed how hard poo poo had hit the fan. Though I did save everyone else I could.

At least if you're on good enough terms with him, (like failing the authority check at 92% :smith:), you can get a side-flash from esprit d'corps. Even in a hospital bed Kim still has your back and tells some other cops to better get down to Martinique and help Harry instead of questioning Kim about what happened.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Digital Osmosis posted:

I specifically took it to mean he's a cop from a different precinct. Brothers in blue, but sort of from a different "family," which makes him your half-brother. That it's Esprit de Corps telling you that makes sense too, IMO.

It also calls the guy with his son the same thing.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

question about the autopsy:

if you found the bullet, you did everything? no need to put the guy in the fridge?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

if you found the bullet, you did everything? no need to put the guy in the fridge?

If you opted in to taking his boots, you might also want to do that before sending the body away.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Many things only unlock with failure.

Finding a fridge to put the body in is one of those, and you might as well do it for the XP if you can, assuming you amped a skill to get a reroll going.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
So I'm really confused right now. I'm toward the end of the game, I think, in the middle of the tribunal shootout and have a possible bug or broken gamestate or...something?

I keep failing checks even though I make a successful roll? I tried a logic roll with a 93% chance...I think? Made it easily, but the "FAILED" text/result pops up and Liz gets shot. I reloaded and tried it a few times with the same result. Then I tried a rhetoric roll with a 97% chance ("come up with something, blah, blah") and the same thing happens. When I mouse over the roll text the "results" pop-up even shows me as succeeding, but I'm still failing in-game?

Has anyone seen this before? Are these rolls really auto-fail for some reason? If so, I haven't seen the game do that before and it kind of sucks rear end.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 2, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

aas Bandit posted:

So I'm really confused right now. I'm toward the end of the game, I think, in the middle of the tribunal shootout and have a possible bug or broken gamestate or...something?

I keep failing checks even though I make a successful roll? I tried a logic roll with a 93% chance...I think? Made it easily, but the "FAILED" text/result pops up and Liz gets shot. I reloaded and tried it a few times with the same result. Then I tried a rhetoric roll with a 97% chance ("come up with something, blah, blah") and the same thing happens. When I mouse over the roll text the "results" pop-up even shows me as succeeding, but I'm still failing in-game?

Has anyone seen this before? Are these rolls really auto-fail for some reason? If so, I haven't seen the game do that before and it kind of sucks rear end.

Do you have that thought that makes you fail all red checks while you're thinking about it?

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Do you have that thought that makes you fail all red checks while you're thinking about it?

Motherfucker.

Thank you!

I even thought when I activated it, "Hey remember this or you'll get really confused."
Sad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love that everything about that thought is a terrible game-ruining trap, because it is a bad thought.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Which thought is it? I don't think I've come across a thought that's so obviously bad and not good.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

The automatic red checks failure thought is Precarious World, which is by no means a trap option, and also has one of the best problem/solution texts in the entire game:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The precarious world is most useful if you’re save-scumming, I’d say. Going from a 3% chance of critical success to 8% makes hitting the success that bit easier and less tedious. But for regular play I don’t think I’d ever take it because that 8% chance of critical failure on a check you absolutely should pass would feel way worse than the successes.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think the increased crit failure is why I failed like three 97% Conceptualisation checks, making it so that instead of a talented art cop I was a pretentious wanker who constantly thinks random things are ~art~ but is unable to actually produce anything worth a drat

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'm curious, is there more to the ominous red chair in a shack, where you also find the bowtie?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sekenr posted:

I'm curious, is there more to the ominous red chair in a shack, where you also find the bowtie?

I think it ties in with a story the washerwoman says, but there is no content I found, just a bit of set dressing.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
So is the reference to turning into seagulls or a pillar of salt in The Precarious World's solution text a Drakengard 3/NieR reference, or am I imagining it?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sinner Sandwich posted:

So is the reference to turning into seagulls or a pillar of salt in The Precarious World's solution text a Drakengard 3/NieR reference, or am I imagining it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lot%27s_wife

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Sinner Sandwich posted:

That, but also this, if we're staying Biblical (and keeping in mind the game text just references turning into salt generally rather than "pillar of salt" as such):

quote:

You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt has lost its flavor, with what will it be salted? It is then good for nothing, but to be cast out and trodden under the feet of men. — Matthew 5:13 (World English Bible)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Rabid Snake posted:

This delores dei fellow seems like a "holy" george washington figure. she had a mandatory education programs (lets be real "reeducation" seems like a brainwashing) and mass resettlement? and called her military force the "army of humanity"? I hope we get to slay this poo poo
Dolores Dei did nothing wrong.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I have just finished this game and it was rad.

Needs a closer eye on some of the text though, especially through/though mistakes and a couple of paragraphs near the end had obviously never even been looked at by an editor. I get there's a lot of text to check but at least turn on spellcheck.

Biggest regrets: Ruby blew her own brains out and eight people died in the shootout because I was hoping for a non-violent resolution. Kim murked two 'em, motherfucker is ice-cold, not exactly what I was hoping for.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Blessed

Protect kim.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If you guys haven't looked on Youtube to see what happens if you pass the dancing check in the stave church club then you should watch this video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbbBd5myZ0M

Text description of video in spoiler

You dance so hard you commune with the spirit of the City of Revachol, who tells you that you must save the city from being destroyed by a nuclear device. This happens in a short story by the game's writer, apparently.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Gort posted:

If you guys haven't looked on Youtube to see what happens if you pass the dancing check in the stave church club then you should watch this video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbbBd5myZ0M

You dance so hard you commune with the spirit of the City of Revachol, who tells you that you must save the city from being destroyed by a nuclear device. This happens in a short story by the game's writer, apparently.

Sadly, I passed that virtually impossible dance check, and then critically failed the 97% chance Shivers check and just passed out without getting the weird vision. I did get to order Kim, as his superior officer, as my one and only rank-pull, to cut a rug.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Gort posted:

Well poo poo, I passed the dance check and the Shivers check, but it's the passive Reaction Speed one that failed me so I never got the "Why are you afraid?" option; which in turn finally explains how I got the vision without getting the nuclear device part spelled out.

Guess I know what I'm gonna max out next playthrough, in addition to making sure Kim's with me for this part!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The devlog thread has some really excellent posts from the writer that I've been thinking about all morning

https://zaumstudio.com/2016/07/12/benefits-modern-fantasy-world/ some spoilers

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Do they sell prints of the game's art anywhere? I'm normally 100% averse to merch of all kinds but drat if I wouldn't take some kind of print of the (endgame spoilers) phasmid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

xiw posted:

The devlog thread has some really excellent posts from the writer that I've been thinking about all morning

Everything he says about how unrealistic and static the 'grittywelt' is is absolutely spot on.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

xiw posted:

kind of unfair to compare it to other games now, I don't think 99% of video game writers know what 'modernity' is

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Another decent videoessay about DE:

Disco Elysium is a Role-Playing Dream Come True by RagnarRox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lightningproof posted:

Do they sell prints of the game's art anywhere? I'm normally 100% averse to merch of all kinds but drat if I wouldn't take some kind of print of the (endgame spoilers) phasmid.

IIRC they've said they have plans but they don't have physical merch in place in general yet. Someday there will be a thought cabinet poster :unsmith: