Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Imagine knowing in advance that a candidate's progressive platform is all a charade and still psyching yourself up for them. I've never actually seen any of them admit it before.

What's these peoples' excuse for not favoring Harris then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goddamn I finally got slapped with one of those bloomberg ads

https://twitter.com/postXamerica/status/1201519137903656961

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
how can you possibly say they'd be the same when the executive can unilaterally lower medicare eligibility age, end forever war, and cancel student debt

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dog Toothbrush posted:

how can you possibly say they'd be the same when the executive can unilaterally lower medicare eligibility age, end forever war, and cancel student debt

they don’t know what a prez can do

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Parity warning posted:

dem field like the fukken playable character cast in chrono cross

This is super apt. One main character, a handful of guys with some significance, and then like 35 dudes that are exactly the same except with slightly different speech impediments

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Parity warning posted:

Skelly 2020

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Parity warning posted:

All you really want is Magus, but no. Here are 50 loving talking dogs or sapient mushrooms or whatever.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheRachelFisher/status/1200646607483604994?s=20

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Also her housing plan sucks because her base are landlords.

https://twitter.com/showusyourwork/status/1201590303653814272

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nichael posted:

i don't think it's a waste of time, but i think it should be pursued while also addressing other elements of voter disenfranchisement... like ending "voter registration", and having all people 16+ instantly able to vote, even if they're in prison.

And also going to rank-choice voting, instead of first-past-the-post.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yo dear ruling class assholes: rent control and m4a are fundamental, non negotiable, non-fudgable elements of any arrangement with the working class that doesn't just end in all of you people losing your heads so please, for the love of having your head firmly attached to the base of your skull, if not the God you've clearly forsaken, stop trying to prevent them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

joepinetree posted:

That's because of his political ambition. He wants that political success, but knows that he has no chance on the consultancy circuit since those guys are a dime a dozen. So his road to DC politics is "red state dem." And you know that his ambition is DC because his "democrat who can win in red states" is the sort of bullshit that anyone in Indiana can see right through, but that gets play in DC (in his sole statewide run he underperformed the democratic candidate for the senate by some 3% of the vote).

I've seen first hand several people like Buttgieg. There's this particular type of academic, especially in the ultra crowded fields in the humanities, who despite a good record and an ivy PhD, ends up teaching at a big state school in a red state. They live in a liberal bubble of a college town, where they complain about the lack of culture and everything being aimed at your average college student. They ooze contempt for the people of the state, privately complain discuss how they're trying to get out of there, but are just too invested in the idea of being a professor to just give up on academia position because they hate where they live. At some point, they'll give up their tenure track position to be a lecturer at a prestigious school, because they can't seem to be away from academia but can't stand to live in the red state anymore. I've seen this happen at least 3 times at my own big public school in a red state within the past few years.

Point is that it's obvious that while Buttgieg talks a big game about being the democrat from a red state, he oozes contempt for the people in his home constituency and he craves being in the liberal intelligentsia circles of DC/NY. He probably realized early on that the consultancy circuit is soul sucking work that would never lead to the type of circles he wants to be in, and was too wedded to his political ambitions to give up the game. But he's had enough of Indiana living, so he's going to DC, even if its in the "adjunct professor" equivalent in politic, which is the democratically aligned think tank leadership role.

I mostly agree, though I guess I also see a desire for actual power that might not be satisfied with "merely" getting some thinktank position.

I've also had the displeasure of knowing people who remind me of Buttigieg - in my case it's some of the people I knew at college who went to work for elite investment banks/hedge funds, though that mostly just explains the obvious extent to which this is all a "game" to him and the obviously cynical and calculated nature of all his words/actions. It honestly baffles my mind that other people can't perceive how full of poo poo the guy is. I understand it in the case of people who have been playing that game themselves and internalized the idea that doing so is intrinsically a virtue, but I don't understand the random people who support him who aren't involved in those circles.

I feel like both of our anecdotal understandings of Buttigieg might be leaving out the whole "did god knows what horrifying poo poo at black sites in Iraq" stuff, though. I think the guy has done some directly hosed up stuff that goes beyond your average careerist.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Do you think Nate just pastes a bunch of poll results into excel and uses =AVERAGE

No, he's announced that he has an unskewing algorithm.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m surprised he bothered saying he did that.

it’s not like he cares anymore

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Thoguh posted:

No, he's announced that he has an unskewing algorithm.

Ah, =MEDIAN.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

You know, I was somewhat hopeful at the first sentence, because yeah, she is like obama: says something progressive but never intends to back it up.

Shageletic posted:

btw dont know if it was here or in trump thread but there was a discussion a bit back about the best written manifestos against imperialism and capitalism that isnt Marx and there was one manifesto mentioned that was supposedly really well written and quick to read. Love the title if anyone remembers

The Communist Manifesto by Friedrich Engels

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I mostly agree, though I guess I also see a desire for actual power that might not be satisfied with "merely" getting some thinktank position.

I've also had the displeasure of knowing people who remind me of Buttigieg - in my case it's some of the people I knew at college who went to work for elite investment banks/hedge funds, though that mostly just explains the obvious extent to which this is all a "game" to him and the obviously cynical and calculated nature of all his words/actions. It honestly baffles my mind that other people can't perceive how full of poo poo the guy is. I understand it in the case of people who have been playing that game themselves and internalized the idea that doing so is intrinsically a virtue, but I don't understand the random people who support him who aren't involved in those circles.

I feel like both of our anecdotal understandings of Buttigieg might be leaving out the whole "did god knows what horrifying poo poo at black sites in Iraq" stuff, though. I think the guy has done some directly hosed up stuff that goes beyond your average careerist.

I don't think he wants power for the sake of power. His supreme court position, for example, is precisely an abdication of that desire to use power. I think he wants that prestige of being president, of being the next Obama, in terms not of fundamentally changing things but being the popular guy in the room who hangs out with billionaires and celebrities. And I don't think he will be satisfied with the thinktank world, but I do think it's his next step. My larger point is that for someone who has based his entire persona as "the democrat from a red state who wants to teach other democrats about unity and reasonableness," he oozes contempt for the people of his state and even the poor people in his city. He is all about being the "democrat who won in a red state despite being a pro-choice, culturally liberal gay man (never mind that it is a solid blue city)" but he is obviously dying to get out of there, craves being able to hang out with Lin Emanuel Miranda and Lena Dunham so that he can impress them with a Sartre quote in French, and will take the first opportunity to leave that still leaves him with a path in politics.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I think most people just don't meet weirdos like buttergreg in their daily lives so they have no experience dealing with people like him because people like buttlegeg self-select outside of the circles of normal people with normal lives, even among the educated and elite there is a separate tier of ambitious and self-important freaks who need to always be striving for further accolades, incapable of enjoying what they're doing with their life because they pursued their career not for love of topic but because their career is a penultimate goal towards simply being respected and admired (and having enough social authority to instill fear)

also most people are kind of just tuned out of the primary process because they don't have time for this poo poo, so they don't hear any alarm bells when they see a guy like nice pete, who always looks like he just snapped a thighbone in half off-frame whenever he has his photo taken

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pete did "economic development" in Afganistan where the only economy to develop locally was in the opium trade

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
this man has to be stopped

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1201628507870240768

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I didn't realize the Osteoporosis Dance video had a sequel

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Phi230 posted:

Its gonna rule to browbeat libs with "vote blue no matter who" after bernie wins the nom

:hmmyes:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SpaceGoku posted:

I think most people just don't meet weirdos like buttergreg in their daily lives so they have no experience dealing with people like him because people like buttlegeg self-select outside of the circles of normal people with normal lives, even among the educated and elite there is a separate tier of ambitious and self-important freaks who need to always be striving for further accolades, incapable of enjoying what they're doing with their life because they pursued their career not for love of topic but because their career is a penultimate goal towards simply being respected and admired (and having enough social authority to instill fear)

in the very rare chance these people get their hands on significant power they tend to turn into ridiculous tyrants(see france's president who thinks he's a literal greek god and adored by the public after only winning via not being a literal nazi sometimes)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shageletic posted:

btw dont know if it was here or in trump thread but there was a discussion a bit back about the best written manifestos against imperialism and capitalism that isnt Marx and there was one manifesto mentioned that was supposedly really well written and quick to read. Love the title if anyone remembers

Lenin had a lot of stuff directly addressing and confronting imperialism, and each one comes with a bonus manifesto woven throughout about how much he hates Kautsky

If you're looking for one that isn't an immediately well known source tho it's tough to say, there's a lot. I think Wretched of the Earth came up fairly recently, that may be what you're thinking

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Just a reminder of how far we've come

choose your fighter

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
big structural Bailey eating poo poo in the latest harrisx poll lmao

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

It's more scientific, that's what I and Nate learned in stats in 4th grade.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Warren's drop in polling coming as a result of not doing internal polling and just doing whatever of her supporters were rich enough to get 1on1 time with her before events and the NYT/WaPo Op-Ed pages wanted her to do is actually extremely loving believable

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

joepinetree posted:

I don't think he wants power for the sake of power. His supreme court position, for example, is precisely an abdication of that desire to use power. I think he wants that prestige of being president, of being the next Obama, in terms not of fundamentally changing things but being the popular guy in the room who hangs out with billionaires and celebrities. And I don't think he will be satisfied with the thinktank world, but I do think it's his next step. My larger point is that for someone who has based his entire persona as "the democrat from a red state who wants to teach other democrats about unity and reasonableness," he oozes contempt for the people of his state and even the poor people in his city. He is all about being the "democrat who won in a red state despite being a pro-choice, culturally liberal gay man (never mind that it is a solid blue city)" but he is obviously dying to get out of there, craves being able to hang out with Lin Emanuel Miranda and Lena Dunham so that he can impress them with a Sartre quote in French, and will take the first opportunity to leave that still leaves him with a path in politics.

Yeah, by "power" here I mainly mean "the prestige." He strikes me as the sort of ambitious who needs to achieve a level of public importance/prominence (as opposed to the more private power that might come from, say, being the CEO of Pimco or something).

Watch his first act as President be drone striking that person who tweeted about throwing his eraser in the toilet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Warren's drop in polling coming as a result of not doing internal polling and just doing whatever of her supporters were rich enough to get 1on1 time with her before events and the NYT/WaPo Op-Ed pages wanted her to do is actually extremely loving believable

Also how the slightest amount of political pressure caused her to backpedal on her original positions like M4A.

Exactly the sort of personality you need to reign in insane GOP politician behavior.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Guessing "Conquest of Bread" which is really short and eminently readable as far as Marxist theory goes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SpaceGoku posted:

Yeah, I should probably add that even most of the ibank/hedge fund people weren't like Pete. Most were doing it either because they felt like they were supposed to, or just because they wanted to make a ton of money in NYC. Only a handful were similar to Pete. I forget if I mentioned this, but I feel like Pete's particular mindset is likely usually the result of being privileged but not rich. It's the sort of thing that is more likely to happen with an upper-middle class ladder climber than someone actually born rich.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

etalian posted:

Also how the slightest amount of political pressure caused her to backpedal on her original positions like M4A.

Exactly the sort of personality you need to reign in insane GOP politician behavior.

I was just thinking about how the GOP and the media would fearmonger about the immigrant caravan and MS-13 during the midterms, and it was fun imagining how Warren would respond to them doing the same thing in 2020. Trump would have her building the wall in a month of campaigning.

OK Boomer
Sep 2, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What's the Liz/beer connection I am not getting? Usually Garrison doesn't go too deep for me but this specific shibboleth eludes me.

fire water

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

If his goal was just to live in a big city, wouldn't staying a McKinsey consultant (or something similar) allow him to do that? I get the impression he specifically wants actual political power.

mckinsey consultants are well paid, but have a pretty bad lifestyle (60-70 hour mandatory minimum work weeks, away on business trips mon-fri every week for 11 months/year). a former worker posted a 'typical' schedule that goes from 7am to 12:30 am (95 hours/week, plus whatever billiable hours they put in at the mandatory weekend meetings!). the consultants tend to leave once they inevitably burn out after some years. because it is such a resume booster, younger pmc types tolerate this so that they can springboard into positions with better working conditions. you can't really claim to live in a big city working at mckinsey when you only spend 1 evening a week in the city.

GoluboiOgon has issued a correction as of 23:50 on Dec 2, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I should probably add that even most of the ibank/hedge fund people weren't like Pete. Most were doing it either because they felt like they were supposed to, or just because they wanted to make a ton of money in NYC. Only a handful were similar to Pete. I forget if I mentioned this, but I feel like Pete's particular mindset is likely usually the result of being privileged but not rich. It's the sort of thing that is more likely to happen with an upper-middle class ladder climber than someone actually born rich.

Most of the Mayor Pete supporters I know talk about things like Harvard education like it's some sort pro for his political image especially in era with populist backlash against centrist candidates.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Parity warning posted:

They're mostly weird, underdeveloped clowns that have no significance to the main plot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly I get that. My parents were downwardly mobile middle class. Unlike Pete I have a personality and realize I'm not that important; but that drive is something that was instilled in me and that I feel strongly and actually causes me quite a lot of problems with guilt and anxiety. I could definitely see another version of myself becoming like Pete and thinking that if I become the most beloved and respected person in the world all my insecurities, doubts, and feelings of worthlessness will dry up.