Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Working from home is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Working from home is amazing.

The only moral question is whether you owe your company the full 8 hours of work per day, or just the 4 that you'd actually get done in the office between pointless meetings, dull colleague conversations, filling the photocopier/coffee machine as you're the only one with courtesy and poo poo that gets dumped on your by passing managers?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's not a question.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I barely do any work as it is heh.

Cool event: migrating tens of thousands of people to O365 and then emails suddenly start delaying by 8+ hours.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Office 365: it's bad

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Weedle posted:

Office 365: it's bad

Then what is good?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Office Space 365

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

... so Monday morning scrum call, then?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
"Hey Junglist, can you review this code for me?"
"Uh...sure. But first, what are you trying to accomplish?"
"To remediate that insecure executable permissions vulnerability from a couple weeks ago."
"The one where you blew up 5% of my Windows fleet with a bunch of un-tested and unnecessary icacls work?"
"Yes!"
"Um...your code hasn't changed. It's just being more specific about where it looks for exes."
"Yes."
"Why?"
"What do you mean?"
"Why do you hate me? Why do your managers hate logic? Why is anyone trying to do this when there's no loving reason for it and the actions are just going to gently caress it up further?"
"I don't understand."
"It's fine. Please don't loving do anything until I talk to your manager..."

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Alas, somebody has been tasked with a problem they do not understand it would seem.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Alas, somebody has been tasked with a problem they do not understand it would seem.

Exactly this. I can't blame the analyst, because he doesn't know what he doesn't know, but if his manager is going to continue to tell him, "Yes, Patching Guy, do this thing and drat the torpedoes," I'm going to remove everyone's Bigfix permissions and not give them back until we've had a Come To Jesus with said manager.

I mean, if Patching Guy hadn't reached out to me, this poo poo would have gone back out to prod again in next month's patching cycle :allbuttons:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Exactly this. I can't blame the analyst, because he doesn't know what he doesn't know, but if his manager is going to continue to tell him, "Yes, Patching Guy, do this thing and drat the torpedoes," I'm going to remove everyone's Bigfix permissions and not give them back until we've had a Come To Jesus with said manager.

I mean, if Patching Guy hadn't reached out to me, this poo poo would have gone back out to prod again in next month's patching cycle :allbuttons:

Wow why are you being such a roadblock don't you know he's still got 95% of the fleet to patch?!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Ordered 100+ HDMI KVMs to solve a thing. Manager approved it.

His manager approved it.

Procurement "found a cheaper supplier."

We now have 150 VGA KVMs.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

sfwarlock posted:

His manager approved it.

Why do you need 150 KVMs

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Methanar posted:

Why do you need 150 KVMs

This hoteling concept that this idiot came up with. Each desk gets a desktop and a docking station and a KVM.

If you have a laptop, you dock it and KVM into the dock. If you don't have a laptop - or forgot yours - you KVM to the desktop.

It falls under "mine is not to reason why."

EDIT: By the way, neither these thin desktops or the docks have VGA.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

sfwarlock posted:

This hoteling concept that this idiot came up with. Each desk gets a desktop and a docking station and a KVM.

If you have a laptop, you dock it and KVM into the dock. If you don't have a laptop - or forgot yours - you KVM to the desktop.

The question is, are they going to admit fault and purchase what you wanted or are they going to get adapter cables and make life shittier and dumber for everyone.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

MF_James posted:

The question is, are they going to admit fault and purchase what you wanted or are they going to get adapter cables and make life shittier and dumber for everyone.

They've already asked about the adapter cables. They're going to compare them to the restocking fee. :suicide:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Taking bets on the dude in question not hearing anything after "it's fine"?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

"Hey Junglist, can you review this code for me?"
"Uh...sure. But first, what are you trying to accomplish?"
"To remediate that insecure executable permissions vulnerability from a couple weeks ago."
"The one where you blew up 5% of my Windows fleet with a bunch of un-tested and unnecessary icacls work?"
"Yes!"
"Um...your code hasn't changed. It's just being more specific about where it looks for exes."
"Yes."
"Why?"
"What do you mean?"
"Why do you hate me? Why do your managers hate logic? Why is anyone trying to do this when there's no loving reason for it and the actions are just going to gently caress it up further?"
"I don't understand."
It's just amazing to me that someone knows enough to know what an .exe is, that you can use icacls to change the permissions for them, that you need to leave the ones in system32 alone, but still think it's okay to remove permissions from all the others.

The hole in knowledge there is so specific it's amazing. I'm guessing this is some green-behind-the-ears security person fresh out of school?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Where do I go on this forum to bitch about the Internet screwing up a lot more since Disney+ launched. I don't just mean mine, I'm getting more "this is plainly packet loss" calls since that sucker launched.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Thanatosian posted:

It's just amazing to me that someone knows enough to know what an .exe is, that you can use icacls to change the permissions for them, that you need to leave the ones in system32 alone, but still think it's okay to remove permissions from all the others.

The hole in knowledge there is so specific it's amazing. I'm guessing this is some green-behind-the-ears security person fresh out of school?

Not even that. He's a general IT analyst type who happens to know how to Google things. He's not even specifically security, so much as someone from the NOC who demonstrated they could take direction and vaguely write some scripts. His boss, however, is dangerous...

Arquinsiel posted:

Taking bets on the dude in question not hearing anything after "it's fine"?

I trust this dude to listen to me, but only until his boss puts more pressure on him than I can exert.

Which is why I have my finger over the, "DISABLE USERS," buttons in Bigfix. Worst case, I can yank their accounts until everyone slows the gently caress down.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

sfwarlock posted:

His manager approved it.

Please tell me that you have a manager with enough balls to drop these useless items in the procurement offices and tell them to deal with it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Which is why I have my finger over the, "DISABLE USERS," buttons in Bigfix. Worst case, I can yank their accounts until everyone slows the gently caress down.

Just do this until they see reason.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Wibla posted:

Just do this until they see reason.

You know I will.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

It gets better. I asked about are we purchasing a large number of docks. The answer is no. He wants laptop users to carry their docks with them and "just plug them in every morning, IT can show them how."

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Can you glue to dock to the laptop so I don't lose it?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

sfwarlock posted:

It gets better. I asked about are we purchasing a large number of docks. The answer is no. He wants laptop users to carry their docks with them and "just plug them in every morning, IT can show them how."

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I saw this story, and thought of this thread. I wonder how close this hits to home for some of you?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0zo8CRe6Qs

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Finally resolved the saga of the computer that spontaneously powered off when left idle. Power strip was plugged into an outlet that was hooked up to a motion detector that controlled the lights.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

klosterdev posted:

Finally resolved the saga of the computer that spontaneously powered off when left idle. Power strip was plugged into an outlet that was hooked up to a motion detector that controlled the lights.

Ticket closed: Working as intended

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

klosterdev posted:

We moved into a new building a year ago and only after setting up 60 meeting rooms we realised that the upper outlet in every pair was connected to the motion detected lights, so everything would shut off if you weren't moving enough.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

klosterdev posted:

wtf. Why?

less than three posted:

We moved into a new building a year ago and only after setting up 60 meeting rooms we realised that the upper outlet in every pair was connected to the motion detected lights, so everything would shut off if you weren't moving enough.

WHY?!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

less than three posted:

I visited a client whose windowless meeting room was like that.

I joked that they must have to 'YMCA' during dull meetings. Turns out that it was a regular requirement during their financial meetings.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shut up Meg posted:

I visited a client whose windowless meeting room was like that.

I joked that they must have to 'YMCA' during dull meetings. Turns out that it was a regular requirement during their financial meetings.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Our workplace had an issue with a line of printers that had inbuilt light sensors in them, and a power off function tied to that. They used to be in an always lit area, but we moved to a new office building with those movement detecting lights, and all printers were in placed their own room with no regular traffic.

It took me a fairly long time to figure out why some large print jobs would randomly fail for no apparent reason.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Proteus Jones posted:

wtf. Why?

WHY?!

LEED Platinum and building codes. :allears:

The Dilbert comic applies too. The lights have one motion sensor per 16 cubicles and shut off the lights over each group if there's no motion. Those work okay, I guess.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shutting lights off makes sense but not outlets, that's crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Shutting lights off makes sense but not outlets, that's crazy

Turning off outlets is actually a really old way of doing things, I just never heard of it connected to sensors.