Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Mannnnnn, that is the best part of MMOs, this one in particular. I'm not a big holiday person really, but events like these in online games really does get me in the spirit!

:ohdearsass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Back when the game's shut down was announced my SG decided to do a bunch of Arena fights for shits and grins cuz we realized it was one of the very few parts of the game we had almost never engaged with (I think we probably did it maybe three times throughout the lifetime of the game) and it was actually a lot of fun.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I feel like it's like MtG where as long as it's just your pals loving around and with a relatively fixed level of investment it's pretty fun, but as soon as anyone gives a poo poo it all goes to hell

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hiii, popping in to wish everyone a happy gently caress NC Soft day. It's a little happier this year though :kimchi:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LordSaturn posted:

I feel like it's like MtG where as long as it's just your pals loving around and with a relatively fixed level of investment it's pretty fun, but as soon as anyone gives a poo poo it all goes to hell

The gap between a casual player with a perfectly functional SO build and a fully kitted out IO monster is so huge that in a fight it'd be like trying to solo a Giant Monster. Except said Giant Monster has a full compliment of attacks and doesn't have their morale break from having 2 whole debuffs applied.

Also multiple times I've seen drama erupt when hardcore PVPers dragged casuals into it, because that goes exactly as well as you'd think.

Back in the day I used the arena for some RP business and that naturally went fine because it was more shadowboxing with a bit of verisimilitude.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 30, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You ever have people contact you, saying they remember you from the live servers, but you have no idea who they are?

I seem to get that often while on my main and it's getting embarrassing.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Freakazoid_ posted:

You ever have people contact you, saying they remember you from the live servers, but you have no idea who they are?

I seem to get that often while on my main and it's getting embarrassing.

Just explain that you are in your 70s now and can't even remember what you had for breakfast.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Over on Virtue we had Fight Night at the Golden Giza.
Which resulted one night in the most fun I ever had in CoH in combat.

See, after the elimination 1v1 match ladder, we'd do a free for all for fun.
Aaaand you know how sometimes the game would glitch and dump you in someone else's mission?

It dumped us in a Mayhem mission. PvP in a Mayhem mission. Everything exploded. EVERYTHING!

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I was always terrible at PvP but that sounds loving rad.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Warcabbit posted:

Over on Virtue we had Fight Night at the Golden Giza.
Which resulted one night in the most fun I ever had in CoH in combat.

See, after the elimination 1v1 match ladder, we'd do a free for all for fun.
Aaaand you know how sometimes the game would glitch and dump you in someone else's mission?

It dumped us in a Mayhem mission. PvP in a Mayhem mission. Everything exploded. EVERYTHING!

I thought that was an original intent when they added villains, but it never worked.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

if there was a queue for PvP bank robberies I don't think I'd do anything else

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LordSaturn posted:

if there was a queue for PvP bank robberies I don't think I'd do anything else

OMG I made that very suggestion when the game was live. Have teams of heroes and villains: the villains must enter the bank, grab a bag of loot, and make it to the extraction point. The guy who is carrying the loot has his movement speed capped and cannot be teleported by any means. Heroes win if no villain makes it out after a certain time.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I can think of a LOT of design hurdles with such a mish type but the main idea is undeniably really goddamn cool.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Big Red Ball!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

implement PvP bank robberies, and Nordenwatch. boom, game's done

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
A better design would probably have Heroes & Villains with different goals in the same place. Heroes get rewarded based on how many villains they can defeat, and villains get theirs based on how much stuff they can steal from the city. Maybe give them a small thing for beating up on Heroes too, but have it structured so they're trying to smash & grab as hard as possible.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So Katie Hannon's a weekly strike on Homecoming. Helpful tip: the first mission spawns an escalating ambush of witches that caps out at +3 to mission diff. Do not run it at +2, especially if you're heavy on melee.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Glazius posted:

So Katie Hannon's a weekly strike on Homecoming. Helpful tip: the first mission spawns an escalating ambush of witches that caps out at +3 to mission diff. Do not run it at +2, especially if you're heavy on melee.

What's that? Crank the difficulty up to +4? :hurr:

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I downloaded tequila and am grabbing Homecoming (64-bit) is that right, ETA: if I want to play on WS18?

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 10, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I downloaded tequila and am grabbing Homecoming (64-bit) is that right, ETA: if I want to play on WS18?

Homecoming on Indom is where most goons are these days.
Though you can do both.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

OgNar posted:

Homecoming on Indom is where most goons are these days.
Though you can do both.

All I've ever done with this game is gently caress with character creator. How prevalent are horrible Monster Factory type abominations? I don't want to be the only one. Else I will be a cool edgelord Cable-type.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

TVsVeryOwn posted:

All I've ever done with this game is gently caress with character creator. How prevalent are horrible Monster Factory type abominations? I don't want to be the only one. Else I will be a cool edgelord Cable-type.

I've seen a few Cable-types, but I say the weirder the better.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What's the goon hero to villain split like?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

How is there no fez hat in this game? A criminal oversight.
Edit: Behold Uncle Granpa

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 10, 2019

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Most people are on hero side, but you can change sides at will in Pocket D so pick whichever you like and hop back and forth. Just talk to the Gull in Pocket D.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

TGG posted:

Most people are on hero side, but you can change sides at will in Pocket D so pick whichever you like and hop back and forth. Just talk to the Gull in Pocket D.

he's on top of a box truck in the red/villain part.

this is pretty much par for the course

most people itt play on Indom. WS18 is still there and uses mostly the same client but you gotta load a different manifest file into Tequila to connect to it, and get a login set up, I think the deets are in PGS?

if you're playing on any of the homecoming servers, use /channeljoin goonsquad, that's how we get in touch in game. everyone just has their own SG, because there's no reason to pool resources anymore

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

TVsVeryOwn posted:

almost every indom goon is rogue or vig in my experience

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

TGG posted:

Wait.. I can change at will? I'm currently playing on Everlasting as a villain and i'm level 23. From my understanding you need to complete 'alignment missions' to switch over to the other side. I love the idea of being a villain, but its lower playercount on the server is kind of a turnoff. But if theres a way to at-will instantly switch over somewhere I will gladly check that out if somebody can go into better detail about it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Imapanda posted:

Wait.. I can change at will? I'm currently playing on Everlasting as a villain and i'm level 23. From my understanding you need to complete 'alignment missions' to switch over to the other side. I love the idea of being a villain, but its lower playercount on the server is kind of a turnoff. But if theres a way to at-will instantly switch over somewhere I will gladly check that out if somebody can go into better detail about it.

In Pocket D, on the Villain side is a box truck, with a seagull on it, talk to Null the Gull and he can change your alignment to rogue or vigilante, I prefer vig.
Then you can just flip to where ever you want from Ouro or a base teleporter.

FYI there is a weird problem where if your team leader is the opposite alignment as you and you use Ouro as a shortcut, you will get auto kicked from any team.
It doesnt do it from a league though, I dont think.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 11, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also don't forget to ask Null for ultimate power. :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Imapanda posted:

I think this is something specific to Homecoming, so don't feel too bad you didn't know. The intended way is to use alignment missions, but Homecoming is all about making it easy to play with your friends, so you can just talk to Null the Gull in Pocket D and change your alignment at will.

Null hangs out on top of the van.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah, Null himself isn't new but his ability to automagically swap your alignment is. Because originally it took 10 (well, 11) missions over 2 days all because being a hero or villain got you extra super duper special rewards (in the form of yet another currency, of course) which needed to have a fixed rate of accrual. This naturally balanced out the incredibly overpowered ability for Rogues and Vigilantes to team up on either side of the game. :downs:

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Imapanda posted:

yeah. just go rogue so you can team up on blueside (in the interest of furthering you evil schemes which run deeper than they could possibly imagine)

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Can anyone help me get the ReShader thing from page 40-something set up?
Do I want to point the install at cityofheroes.exe or homecoming.exe? And D3d or OpenGL?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So I've been getting an itch to come back to this, but not a full blown urge. My compromise is that I'm gonna make a bunch of posts about my characters and ya'll are gonna have to deal with it. I know I posted some of these in the previous thread when Homecoming had just hit, but never in this one so neener neener.

The Aegis of Lost Souls: An enchanted suit of armor that houses any wayward spirit in need of protection or strength. (Psi Melee/Invuln, turns out spooky green Psi Melee works fantastically for ghost stuff.)

The Monitor Lizard Buddy: His description pretty much says it all. He talks sort of like Max Headroom, if Max Headroom was solely interested in selling you FREE 10,000+ ANIMATED WALLPAPERS and such. Still proud of his monitor face and power cord tail. :3: (Beam Rifle/Rad)

Outrun: A digital DJ with a knack for escaping trouble with her superior speed. (Sonic/Kin)

The Lamplighter: Carries two powerful mystic forces inside of her. One is a world-devouring darkness that must be kept contained at all costs. The other is the flame to oppose that darkness, but with the severe drawback that it is always hungry and quick to burn out. It will feed on her if it needs to...or anything else she can find to sustain it. (Staff/Fire)

Anarchy Warrior Vi: A cutesy British pop star has a disastrous accident involving a shipment of Superadine. Being forcibly turned into a Troll, she pivoted into the punk scene instead. Just one problem: She still has the powers and responsibilities of a magical girl. (SS/WP)

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
"degauss rifle" :golfclap:

I'm gonna have to steal spooky green ghost Psi Melee, too.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I have an alt that I've been meaning to level that uses a blue / dark gray color scheme for psi melee with a similar color for dark armor that works really well. I think it may be literally one row off from that shade of green.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

John Murdoch posted:

Anarchy Warrior Vi

okay but I'm going to pronounce it "Anarchy Warrior Six" every single time

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LordSaturn posted:

okay but I'm going to pronounce it "Anarchy Warrior Six" every single time

I can't decide if Vi should coincidentally be sixth in line of the magical girl lineage or if Anarchy Warrior VI is her descendant, to inevitably show up in some far-future apocalypse scenario. For the record, her name is Viola "Violent" Vickers, so it's short for...well, I guess any of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

So my main character, Beam/Dev blaster Pacey E. Watkins, is closing in on 50, and figured it was time to sort out a final build for her. But...it's been a while since I've done this!

Thoughts? Some of these picks are kind of thematic - she's a grad student who took her research, started building tools to go fight evil. You know, like you do.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.5
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Pacey E. Watkins: Level 50 Technology Blaster
Primary Power Set: Beam Rifle
Secondary Power Set: Devices
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Munitions Mastery

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1: Single Shot
(A) Accuracy IO
(3) Damage Increase IO
(46) Damage Increase IO

Level 1: Toxic Web Grenade
(A) Accuracy IO

Level 2: Charged Shot
(A) Accuracy IO
(3) Damage Increase IO
(43) Damage Increase IO

Level 4: Fly
(A) Freebird - Endurance
(5) Freebird - FlySpeed
(5) Freebird - +Stealth

Level 6: Disintegrate
(A) Apocalypse - Damage
(7) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge
(7) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
(9) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge
(9) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance
(11) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 8: Cutting Beam
(A) Accuracy IO
(11) Damage Increase IO
(42) Damage Increase IO

Level 10: Targeting Drone
(A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff
(15) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge
(15) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge/Endurance
(17) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Recharge/Endurance
(17) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Endurance
(19) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up

Level 12: Lancer Shot
(A) Accuracy IO
(13) Damage Increase IO
(13) Damage Increase IO

Level 14: Aim
(A) Recharge Reduction IO
(31) To Hit Buff IO
(31) To Hit Buff IO

Level 16: Smoke Grenade
(A) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff
(19) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Recharge
(31) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Recharge/Endurance
(33) Dark Watcher's Despair - Recharge/Endurance
(34) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Endurance
(37) Dark Watcher's Despair - Chance for Recharge Slow

Level 18: Penetrating Ray
(A) Accuracy IO
(34) Damage Increase IO
(43) Damage Increase IO

Level 20: Field Operative
(A) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance
(21) Shield Wall - Defense/Recharge
(21) Shield Wall - Endurance/Recharge
(23) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
(23) Shield Wall - Defense
(25) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Level 22: Hover
(A) Defense Buff IO

Level 24: Afterburner
(A) Soaring - FlySpeed
(25) Soaring - Endurance
(27) Soaring - Endurance/FlySpeed

Level 26: Piercing Beam
(A) Accuracy IO
(34) Damage Increase IO
(42) Damage Increase IO

Level 28: Maneuvers
(A) Endurance Reduction IO
(29) Defense Buff IO
(29) Defense Buff IO

Level 30: Assault

Level 32: Tactics
(33) To Hit Buff IO
(33) To Hit Buff IO

Level 35: Body Armor
(A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
(36) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
(36) Unbreakable Guard - Endurance/RechargeTime
(36) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
(37) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
(37) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

Level 38: Overcharge
(A) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage
(39) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
(39) Positron's Blast - Damage/Recharge
(39) Positron's Blast - Damage/Range
(40) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
(40) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)

Level 41: Gun Drone
(A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
(42) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
(43) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance
(45) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
(45) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
(45) Expedient Reinforcement - Resist Bonus Aura for Pets

Level 44: Surveillance
(A) Analyze Weakness - Defense Debuff
(46) Analyze Weakness - Accuracy/Defense Debuff
(46) Analyze Weakness - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
(50) Analyze Weakness - Accuracy/Recharge