Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

upgunned shitpost posted:

I like the scene with the trapdoor. just some random old nazi bitch waving around an actual 'clicker' from a tv made in '78. no one would register that as a threat.

'what are you doing?' is a perfectly natural and believable response, cuz she's being an absolute loving weirdo.

...not if you live in a world where supervillains are real and exist and you personally used to fight them!

My response in the moment was "oh my god, DO SOMETHING"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

She even gave Laurie a head start by loving around with the remote for a few seconds. Just punch her!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

...not if you live in a world where supervillains are real and exist and you personally used to fight them!

I think they were all lame fetishists. She’s probably never fought a genuine threat aside from Veidt.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Mike the TV posted:

Crazy theory time:

Trieu says that her father will be with them soon. Who is her father? The assumption at the start is that it's the Comedian, although speculation now is that it's Veidt, and I'd also make a case for Dr. Manhattan being her 'father' on the evidence that he's just returned. But I think we need to look at the obvious: She brought her mother back as a clone and is dosing her with memories of that life. The obvious assumption at the start was that her father is the Comedian, and honestly most answers have been fairly straightforward so far in this show. So she would need a clone of him, and need to slip his memories to him over time so that he can come back soon.
So who is the only possible candidate to be a clone of the Comedian, being the right age, sex, etc?

Petey.

And if he's lubeman, he's following his inherited genetic memories of being a costumed vigilante. That's why he loves the history of the masked adventurers.

Even though this show is on HBO and its probably dark enough to do an incest storyline, there’s no way they would do that to the female lead of the original novel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

parara posted:

I genuinely love how this thread is rapidly spiraling into Luuke Skywalker territory.

I think you mean Lube Skywalker

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think they were all lame fetishists. She’s probably never fought a genuine threat aside from Veidt.

Yeah but lame fetishists would totally install a trap door because its in the movies. A real supervillain would just shoot people.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Orange Devil posted:

I guess we give them the benefit of the doubt for at least another episode.

It's actually just a mental health issue, really.

I guess the show is going to sci-fi the explanation, but Keene's plan is to go into an intrinsic field chamber to become like Dr. Manhattan? Isn't there a throwaway line in the comic about the Soviets killing tons of people trying exactly that? And they intend to kill Dr. Manhattan, something Veidt also tried and failed to do with an intrinsic field chamber. I'd love if their plan is actually that ill-conceived and they straight-up fail in the exact same ways. But I guess we're supposed to take them seriously.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
They're practicing with basketballs. They're going to teleport Joe's head onto Jon's body. Or maybe brain into skull.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Xealot posted:

It's actually just a mental health issue, really.

I guess the show is going to sci-fi the explanation, but Keene's plan is to go into an intrinsic field chamber to become like Dr. Manhattan? Isn't there a throwaway line in the comic about the Soviets killing tons of people trying exactly that? And they intend to kill Dr. Manhattan, something Veidt also tried and failed to do with an intrinsic field chamber. I'd love if their plan is actually that ill-conceived and they straight-up fail in the exact same ways. But I guess we're supposed to take them seriously.

If his plan was just an intrinsic field generator they wouldnt need ot capture the real manhattan.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

it would be if they wanted to kill dr manhattan so joe wouldnt have competition

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Should have gotten a Wilson:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/trap-door/n9681

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

plan is to mesmerise Manhattan, have him reassemble Keene, then destroy himself?

edit: nah, doesn't explain the teleporters. Plus maybe only Trieu's team has the mesmerise tech, 7th cav have not been shown using it at all.
I got no loving clue. I've been floored by every twist so far and seems like I will continue to be swept along.

Really interested to see how Veidt works into this: Could be he set one or both sides of the whole plan in motion long ago and entrusted Trieu to carry it out. Maybe he decided that he couldn't take more slaughter and didn't want to be a part of whatever is going to happen.

Has it been explicitly stated that all the guys and gals Veidt is hanging out with are Jon and Janey clones or is that just based on the play he made them put on?

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 3, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Have you even been watching, because this is the first time you've posted itt in a month. Almost as though you only post in show's threads when you're able to say they suck without immediately being identified as a troll.

I have been lol. Thanks for keeping up with my posting in this thread! I just don’t post in here because every time people got upset. I’m still watching cuz gently caress it I need to know. Not a good show in my opinion!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I’m still watching cuz gently caress it I need to know. Not a good show in my opinion!

I'm not upset you don't like it or whatever, but this seems odd when we're right in the middle of a massive glut of prestige shows competing for your time. Why not just read the wiki or something?

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Whoever they are, and whatever they can do, you can sure as poo poo bet the house that they don't have much respect for Dr. Statenisland.
Wow. How dare you disrespect the RZA like this. Mods?!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Rewatching the episode, when Angela is detoxing and connected to the other subject I wonder if not only were they trying to bring her back but also making copies of here memories and storing them for later. Is the other subject the keeper of all the memories?

Also, I kinda like the anachronistic nature of this timeline. Sort of like Archer where somethings are old school and others are modern.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm not upset you don't like it or whatever, but this seems odd when we're right in the middle of a massive glut of prestige shows competing for your time. Why not just read the wiki or something?

Because again I have to know and it’s just 1 hour (or less or more) each week. I watch a lot of stuff and right now I don’t really have anything I’m watching. I’m not up to date on a lot of tv like Mr Robot. I love the watchmen comic and have read it many times and for me this show has done a very poor job of being a sequel and adaptation of the source material. You don’t get stuff like the smaller details in wikis. I want to be able to discuss the show when someone asks me why I don’t like it. Sometimes people don’t want to hear about that, that’s fine. It’s not personal, it’s just TV.

The only things competing for my time are a few games and maybe some anime series as well as movies/documentaries. I just manage my time to be able to watch the things I am interested in.

Personally for me this show is a wash, but I knew this by the 2nd episode. The only thing keeping me here is just to see what other things they’re going to do to subvert or whatever. The soundtrack as well is still the only consistently good thing in the show for me.

Prestige tv is weird. The only show I’ve truly loved recently is Twin Peaks the return and nothing comes close. I fell off the Americans and other shows on Netflix don’t appeal to me much at all.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

tarlibone posted:

Whoever they are, and whatever they can do, you can sure as poo poo bet the house that they don't have much respect for Dr. Statenisland.
Everybody disses Dr. Shaolin, but his sword they're all choppable.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If the clones are of Jon and Janey, wouldn’t their genetic memory imprints or whatever make them want to gently caress? Are the clones secretly loving all the time? Where’s the clone orgy scene?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Chadzok posted:

plan is to mesmerise Manhattan, have him reassemble Keene, then destroy himself?

edit: nah, doesn't explain the teleporters. Plus maybe only Trieu's team has the mesmerise tech, 7th cav have not been shown using it at all.
I got no loving clue. I've been floored by every twist so far and seems like I will continue to be swept along.

Really interested to see how Veidt works into this: Could be he set one or both sides of the whole plan in motion long ago and entrusted Trieu to carry it out. Maybe he decided that he couldn't take more slaughter and didn't want to be a part of whatever is going to happen.

Has it been explicitly stated that all the guys and gals Veidt is hanging out with are Jon and Janey clones or is that just based on the play he made them put on?

I’m guessing it’s a “the fly” scenario. Put both him and Manhattan in a teleporter and smush them together

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Weedle posted:

If the clones are of Jon and Janey, wouldn’t their genetic memory imprints or whatever make them want to gently caress? Are the clones secretly loving all the time? Where’s the clone orgy scene?

They're clearly not clones of them emotionally and intellectually because they're stupid and passive and have little sense of self preservation or worth.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Weedle posted:

In what is perhaps the most subversive act possible for a drama on hbo, Watchmen has featured to date only naked dicks and man assess. There has not been a single boob or girl merkin anywhere on this show (naked clone butler lady in the aging booth was obviously a mannequin).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This episode had a great second half and a weak first half imho. Everything was very IM GONNA EXPLAIN THINGS even about little stuff including Looking Glass's murder spree. Second half was loving gold.

Unanswered questions right now for me are
1. So if the chief of police was with the 7K, why did he take part in the first raid
2. Is there more subtle mind control going on with the 7K. People seem to do dumb poo poo around them and then get caught I.E. Looking Glass and Laurie. (Though knowing Laurie, she probably wanted to get captured)
3. How is the 7K so good at rigging lettuce to fall off trucks!?!?
4. LUBE MAN WHEN

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Laurie was just surprised guys. The whole season her thing has been making bare-faced power plays to gently caress with whoever she's talking to and get them on the defensive. She was trying to do that with the widow by nakedly accusing her of being 7th Cav and was just honestly taken aback by her immediately confessing and pulling out a dumb looking remote which didn't seem to be doing anything.

I mean who the gently caress expects someone to have a goddamn trapdoor in their livingroom in 2019? It was completely out of left field.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Did anyone mention that the truck with the 50cal on it, the one that was at the beginning of the show with lettuce, is outside Angela's house?

I thought the ep was going to end with her house getting ripped apart by a machine gun siege

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So of all the women on Earth, Dr. Manhattan falls for the secret granddaughter of the secretly black first masked vigilante? Lol ok

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

nother good one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC-lhRfZSRU
lots of good little connections

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Part of me thinks that Keene's plan will go right, setting up a Trump analogue and portraying the futility in relying on trusting power structures to enact progress, and part of me thinks that it will go horribly right, transforming Keene into a real version of the squid monster that annihilated New York on 11/2.

And I'm still wondering what Trieu is up to. It seems obvious that she and Angela's grandfather are going to hijack American Hero Story's signal to broadcast a hypnotic message, but I couldn't tell you what that would be or how it relates to the Seventh Cavalry's scheme.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

maybe the millennium clock is jut going to broadcast the ep1 Tulsa opener to garner empathy

Basically, millennium clock is just going to broadcast hbo's Watchmen, and we are taking part in the experiment and yada yada yada It's some recursive story telling

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Millennium Clock is going to broadcast the Brown Noise.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Millennium Clock is going to broadcast something alright

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I think the clock's just going to wipe everyone's memory.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ohhh, save me daughter could be what Viedt wrote on the planet.

The vid I posted seems to say Angela doesn't believe the Keene/7k plan that Lady Triue posited. Interesting, cuz there is a good chance that Angela actually knows what's going to happen because Cal told her long ago

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why was hooded justice able to transform into an elephant and why didn't we learn about this in the flashback episode?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

KoRMaK posted:

Ohhh, save me daughter could be what Viedt wrote on the planet.

My guess is that Veidt was the meteor that landed a few episodes ago and he's (as most everyone has guessed) currently chilling out in that statue. The escape plan (which the clones are in on) was to both alert Trieu and inflame the Warden to banish/bronze him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Save Me D.....ave Coulier

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hilario Baldness posted:

Am sort of mad that Billy Crudup isn't gonna be the voice.

Going back to this but I seriously loved him as Manhattan but the dude playing Cal sounds really good as him.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

Why was hooded justice able to transform into an elephant and why didn't we learn about this in the flashback episode?

The flashback was in an era where black Republicans weren't unusual.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

My guess is that Veidt was the meteor that landed a few episodes ago and he's (as most everyone has guessed) currently chilling out in that statue. The escape plan (which the clones are in on) was to both alert Trieu and inflame the Warden to banish/bronze him.

The Ms. Crookshanks who was playing prosecutor did wink at him really clumsily after her closing statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The Ms. Crookshanks who was playing prosecutor did wink at him really clumsily after her closing statement.

Ms Crookshanks, when is a lie not a lie?