Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

C-Euro posted:

I still have no idea why I remember nothing about Tom Brady's time at Michigan. I have clearer memories of John Navarre behind center than Brady, I'm sure that's extremely healthy.

I remember illinois putting the beat down on Brady in 99 and then the refs loving over Illinois in retaliation the next year on consecutive incorrect turnover calls

Then the NFL refs in Champaign in 02 blew a 4th and 3 sneak call, didn't measure and the bears lost. Brady hasnt come close to losinf to the bears since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is real

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
MGoBlog deleted the tweet to the article and also had it dated 11/31 when he first posted it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rad Valtar posted:

MGoBlog deleted the tweet to the article and also had it dated 11/31 when he first posted it.

LMAO.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dean over here chaos dunking on Alabama.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Democrazy posted:

but I do think that a player taking all-online classes without some special reason is pretty shameful.

I'm kind of surprised that they're allowed to do so in the first place. Seems like a scandal waiting to happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It is nearly 2020, lots of people, athlete or otherwise are taking online classes. Football is effectively a full time job with significant OT demands, in a lot of cases taking classes online is the easiest way to work around that schedule while still getting in all your required classes

Also I'm sure if you gave Fields the option to just go play football professionally he'd take it but he can't so

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
if I could fulfill every one of my professional responsibilities through a web browser you better loving believe I'd do it

I worked remote for almost three years before moving to an in-office client and it's killing me. I'm a precious butterfly! I need to fly!

More importantly, I need to call into my daily standup meetings while still lying in bed.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My wife is about to graduate in two weeks having not stepped on campus for a single class for a college that is 15 minutes away because she is also working a full time job. The idea that it's some weird thing to not take any classes in person is some old man poo poo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Rad Valtar posted:

My wife is about to graduate in two weeks having not stepped on campus for a single class for a college that is 15 minutes away because she is also working a full time job. The idea that it's some weird thing to not take any classes in person is some old man poo poo.

Starting QBs get a tutor to take all their exams online or live in class anyway.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rad Valtar posted:

The idea that it's some weird thing to not take any classes in person is some old man poo poo.

I believe Sash is younger than I am and also 35 years older somehow.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It's just great that Justin Fields got so many Michigan Men frothing mad by uttering a simple sentence in a presser.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

MourningView posted:

It is nearly 2020, lots of people, athlete or otherwise are taking online classes. Football is effectively a full time job with significant OT demands, in a lot of cases taking classes online is the easiest way to work around that schedule while still getting in all your required classes

Also I'm sure if you gave Fields the option to just go play football professionally he'd take it but he can't so

If football is so much that players can’t make it into the classroom to learn, maybe we should free up their schedules by cutting back on football hours. Classroom learning offers the chance for athletes to interact with other students and teachers in an academic setting, and allows for an active learning that helps many students. I’m not saying that it’s right for everyone, but I do think it is different enough that athletes should be engaging with it. Especially since, given the way football programs structure their athletes’ schedule, I highly doubt it’s really up to the actual athlete whether they go to in-class classes or online.

Justin Fields may be able to skip right into the NFL, but not everyone can, and no one will be able to work in the NFL as a player until retirement age. These are young people, so I understand a lot of them won’t want to consider doing anything but athletics, but if we want to take seriously the idea of using athletics as a way of giving kids an education they can help them later in life, maybe we should put some serious thought into how we educate our athletes. Our current system where most athletes are either actively steered away from pursuing their own choices in academics or else simply can’t manage their course-load with athletics isn’t doing them a lot of favors.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rad Valtar posted:

Woody Hayes was a racist rear end in a top hat who punched a player. I'm sure there are still fans who praise him but to me he's been tainted. I don't mean to single out Michigan fans on here because you guys are cool but living in Michigan I hear about "not giving up our integrity for winning like Ohio State" all the time.

The old people still idolize Woody but most people stopped by the end of the Tressel era. Now, nobody really talks about Woody except for the oldest of boomers.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Democrazy posted:

If football is so much that players can’t make it into the classroom to learn, maybe we should free up their schedules by cutting back on football hours. Classroom learning offers the chance for athletes to interact with other students and teachers in an academic setting, and allows for an active learning that helps many students. I’m not saying that it’s right for everyone, but I do think it is different enough that athletes should be engaging with it. Especially since, given the way football programs structure their athletes’ schedule, I highly doubt it’s really up to the actual athlete whether they go to in-class classes or online.

Justin Fields may be able to skip right into the NFL, but not everyone can, and no one will be able to work in the NFL as a player until retirement age. These are young people, so I understand a lot of them won’t want to consider doing anything but athletics, but if we want to take seriously the idea of using athletics as a way of giving kids an education they can help them later in life, maybe we should put some serious thought into how we educate our athletes. Our current system where most athletes are either actively steered away from pursuing their own choices in academics or else simply can’t manage their course-load with athletics isn’t doing them a lot of favors.

They have tutors that work with them at the athletic facilities to provide any hands-on stuff they need but for the vast majority of these kids, they’re loading up on the online courses available during football season and attending actual classes in the spring.

It’s also not just an athletics thing. Lots of schools are moving base level elective type stuff to online because it allows them to cut overhead. This is as much an effect of institutional greed as anything.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

PostNouveau posted:

At some point, they're daring the SEC to try to enforce their rules. I imagine the poo poo would hit the fan in the media if the SEC tried to fine a school 7 figures for a field rush.

FWIW, the fine caps out at $250k. Personally I have no idea why there is such a fine in the first place, every actual fan loves field rushing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It offends the delicate sensibilities of the olds that populate most of the stands.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Captain von Trapp posted:

FWIW, the fine caps out at $250k. Personally I have no idea why there is such a fine in the first place, every actual fan loves field rushing.

They don’t want fan-player altercations happening on field.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Captain von Trapp posted:

Eventually someone is going to get hurt and sue

or that one girl will just decompose in the bushes.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

And perhaps more importantly, if they do happen and lawsuits start flying, they can say that they were against it from the start and did everything they could to enforce the rule and it's all the individual school's fault for not hiring Pinkertons to hold the line at all costs and mercilessly truncheon any fan who tries to get on the field

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

sportsgenius86 posted:

They have tutors that work with them at the athletic facilities to provide any hands-on stuff they need but for the vast majority of these kids, they’re loading up on the online courses available during football season and attending actual classes in the spring.

It’s also not just an athletics thing. Lots of schools are moving base level elective type stuff to online because it allows them to cut overhead. This is as much an effect of institutional greed as anything.

I don’t think that one-on-one tutoring is the same as going to class, although I understand that it is often needed as a supplement. And, call me suspicious, but some NCAA investigations have led me to believe that some of these tutors may be going above and beyond their tutoring role.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Democrazy posted:

I don’t think that one-on-one tutoring is the same as going to class, although I understand that it is often needed as a supplement. And, call me suspicious, but some NCAA investigations have led me to believe that some of these tutors may be going above and beyond their tutoring role.

Nah you paranoid

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If you want to stop cheating in online classes you can make it extremely laborious, much more so than in person classes. You don't have to remove every person, monitor and electronic object from whatever room you're taking a test in, sometimes to the point of ridiculousness, and then have some weirdo stare directly at you and only you for an hour at 8:00 AM on a Saturday like the service the professor used for one of my friend's online course. And just from my own experience, while yes, some online classes are jokes, some were extremely laborious.

I could argue against the EFFECTIVENESS of these classes because they weren't very for me, but, well, everyone learns differently.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

General Dog posted:

Does this regularly happen in conferences where rushing is tolerated?

FizFashizzle posted:

Are they going to win more than the $250k the schools lose per rush now?

I mean ok, objectively it's hard to talk modern bureaucrats into allowing a hundred thousand people form a mob, but come on it's so fun!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Shappa posted:

I was thinking about Auburn/Alabama in terms of the last decade, in the 2010's Alabama lost 15 (i think) games total and 4 of them were to Auburn, which puts the Iron bowl at 6-4 'Bama for the decade.

Auburn plays UGA and Bama every season, of course, and during Saban's time in Tuscaloosa UGA has a better record against Auburn than Bama does. Wild.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Gus has got the anti-Saban juice recipe perfected.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/1201572201603981312

What's going on at Coastal Carolina

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
So, uh, ESPN projects Tennessee to play Minnesota in the Outback Bowl and I’m just not so sure I understand how that adds up.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28168924/college-football-bowl-projections

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

FizFashizzle posted:

or that one girl will just decompose in the bushes.

Rarely happens at Clemson. If everyone is invited on after every game, there's not as much sense of urgency.

Buncha kitty cats. Be more like dawgs. Dawgs don't transfer. Be a daaaawg!

Scarf fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 3, 2019

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A lot of those *cough* sports academies *cough* like College of Faith operate via online classes.

Kids are "enrolled" at the academy, but are taking online classes from another, slightly more legit school. I don't know how any fees would work, but figure the sports academy is ripping them off in that regard, too.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sir Thats Gross posted:

So, uh, ESPN projects Tennessee to play Minnesota in the Outback Bowl and I’m just not so sure I understand how that adds up.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28168924/college-football-bowl-projections
SEC bowl pecking order is after the playoff (LSU) and the rest of the NY6 (Georgia, assuming a CCG loss, Alabama and Florida) the Citrus née Capitol One picks (Auburn) and then the "Pool of 6" -- Outback, Gator, Music City, Liberty, Texas, and in alternating years the Belk (who's actually dropped their sponsorship so name TBD) or Las Vegas -- bowls, who in theory receive teams assigned by the SEC itself, with traditionally the Outback being the most prestigious of those. So by overall record the top team of those not already more or less locked in would be either Tennessee, A&M or Kentucky at 7-5, and I guess Tennessee is the most trending upward and probably not too depressed to travel? I don't remember the who's been to Tampa more recently history, that may be a factor.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

What are the chances of a Lonestar Showdown bowl game now? Both teams are 7-5, and I don’t think anyone wants yet another KSU-A&M snoozefest like the one two years ago

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Cnidario posted:

What are the chances of a Lonestar Showdown bowl game now? Both teams are 7-5, and I don’t think anyone wants yet another KSU-A&M snoozefest like the one two years ago

Let’s do that some time when Texas isn’t terrible. We’ll let you know.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sir Thats Gross posted:

Minnesota is pretty much locked into the Outback under the big ten rules because all the other options have been too recently.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

The comments are just stream of conscious things of beauty.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Cnidario posted:

I think last time it was on the table one of the schools threatened to decline the invitation if they were invited to a bowl together.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cnidario posted:

Zero because A&M will have the SEC kill it if a bowl tries

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Cnidario posted:

This is never going to happen unless it’s the NY6. The SEC can assign teams to its affiliate bowls at its discretion.

When we play again, it needs to be a big deal, not in some sad third tier bowl with a quarter of the starters and half the staffs gone. It needs to be a setting where we can really light some candles and lay out some rose petals. Reliant Stadium isn’t it.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 3, 2019

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Athletic posted:

“We didn’t play the run very well,” Saban said. “To be honest with you, I kept asking the question, ‘Why are they spitting that run?’ Based on the defense that we called and the defense that we were in, I thought we should be good. The quarterback pulled the ball and scored a touchdown when the guy who had the quarterback didn’t take him. So it was a combination that I can’t really put my finger on right now relative to the execution, but somebody wasn’t in their gap. Somebody didn’t do their responsibility.”
:qqsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Sir Thats Gross posted:

Alamo Bowl sounds good for Texas. It seems like the perfect median bowl for Texas to shoot for. I just expect more of a 9-3 record with some middle ranking rather than 7-5.