Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
BTBAM covered TDH's The Tank
TDH covered BTBAM's Rapid Calm

It was just the two songs on the split, came with the VIP package on that tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kumba posted:

BTBAM covered TDH's The Tank
TDH covered BTBAM's Rapid Calm

It was just the two songs on the split, came with the VIP package on that tour

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK0MR9JG2No

Hey, idiots, here's a song to listen to while you punch your friends or set a new bench press PR or whatever you do

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I like it. But man, I blew my eardrum out a week ago while swimming and now I'm deaf in one ear and listening to music like this makes me sad.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

wandler20 posted:

now I'm deaf in one ear

forever??

whenever my brain is being a little stupid idiot, i think about the "would you rather be blind/deaf" thing and it's like... music.. blind for sure

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ShoogaSlim posted:

forever??

whenever my brain is being a little stupid idiot, i think about the "would you rather be blind/deaf" thing and it's like... music.. blind for sure

Hopefully not. Supposed to heal within 3 weeks. It's been one so far and I don't recommend it.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
New Beneath the Massacre loving slaps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhPB9BDIeBA

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://youtu.be/2Wxk3E84w4k

Aw, hell, y'all. We got a new Currents track to do push-ups to.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

XIII posted:

This song loving rips. That breakdown at the end :stare:

Also from SharpTone, new Loathe (this band is growing on me like crazy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcb28aqJjo

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Dango Bango posted:

Also from SharpTone, new Loathe (this band is growing on me like crazy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcb28aqJjo

I'm seeing them tomorrow night! They're excellent live

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My ears are terrible and half-shot from attending/playing metal shows for 15 years, but I really like the remaster of The Great Misdirect. Everything is just so much cleaner.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

XIII posted:

gently caress yeah, Currents own!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

catching up on albums I missed throughout the year and the Callous Daoboys album loving rips

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

deadwing posted:

catching up on albums I missed throughout the year and the Callous Daoboys album loving rips
It was like Keith Buckley and the Buffalo Boys released Last Night in Town or Hot drat! again.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Admittedly I am posting this almost exclusively for kumba, but maybe someone else will get a kick out of it too. Northlane covered a lovely Vines song that kumba and I have had to play a zillion times in Rock Band, and it's freaking me out. Anyway, looks like Alien is definitely making my top 10 this year, which I never would've believed in January. Good to have Northlane back in form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi_10MPP_po

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it was my computer speakers, but that cover sounded really phoned in. :(

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvuAKXgh6jA

Been listening to these dudes the last couple days off a recommendation from a buddy and I think there will be some people ITT that digs 'em as much as I me. I've listened to their two latest albums and both have been solid. Just some thrashy hardcore to get ign'ant to. Also, Get The Shot is a solid band name.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

deadwing posted:

someone posted about them/that album in this thread. i checked them out (without a link being shared -- effort!) and i'm really glad i did because now that 2019 is almost over, it's absolutely in my top 3 of the year

that said.. i know some of you guys loosely/strictly keep aoty lists. whatcha got?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

that said.. i know some of you guys loosely/strictly keep aoty lists. whatcha got?

Probably missing some bangers (and in no particular order), but here's what's been getting a lot of play in my headphones this year

LPs
Knocked Loose - A Different Shade of Blue
Norma Jean - All Hail
Stray From The Path - Internal Atomics
Deez Nuts - You Got Me hosed Up
Call of the Void - Buried in Light
Kublai Khan - Absolute
Dead Kelly - Such Is Life
Gideon - Out of Control
Grayscale Season - Everything Hurts
Crystal Lake - Helix (got wide release in 2019, so I’m countin’ it)
Johnny Booth - Firsthand Accounts
Counterparts - Nothing Left to Love
Oh, Sleeper - Bloodied / Unbowed
Thy Art Is Murder - Human Target
SeeYouSpaceCowboy - The Correlation Between Entrance and Exit Wounds

Not -core
The Damned Things - High Crimes
He Is Legend - White Bat
Sheer Mag - A Distant Call
Bayside - Interrobang
Bring Me The Horizon - amo
Cave In - Final Transmission
The Menzingers - Hello Exile
PUP - Morbid Stuff

Singles/EPs
Dying Wish - Enemies In Red
Currents - Poverty of Self
Cancer Bats - Inside Out
Can’t Swim - Foreign Language
Mongol Horde - Godfrey Newman / Selfiestixamitosis
Power Trip - Hornet’s Nest
Sharptooth - Mean Brain
Graphic Nature - Mortal Fear / Grit
Orthodox - Let It Take Its Course
Bloodbather - End
Dealer - Soul Burn
Don Broco - Action / Half Man Half God
Ghost - Seven Inches of Satanic Panic
Like Moths To Flames - Where The Light Refuses To Go
生 Conform 死 - Luxury Letdown

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I haven’t done mine yet (Earthshatter tape out this week and a couple other odds and ends), but I’ll post it here once I do

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Counterparts has my core pick, Capstan has my heavy elements but not quite core pick, and my wildcard make-fun-of-me-if-you-want-but-shits-good pick is Taylor Swift.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Stelio Kontos posted:

make-fun-of-me-if-you-want-but-shits-good pick is Taylor Swift.

I will stand beside you and die on this hill, brother. If I included my "guilty pleasure" non-heavy poo poo genres, my list would be at least twice as long.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Yeah, the new Taylor Swift album is fun as hell.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Happy to hear I’m not the only one. If i had to put those in definitive order though, it’d be:
1. Capstan
2. Counterparts
3. Taylor

It’s not a perfect fit for this thread, but that Capstan record is all sorts of incredible. Their vocalist has stupid range, the guitarists are as good as the guys in Counterparts and the rhythm section is best in class. Stupidly solid post-hardcore.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Counterparts - Nothing Left to Love was my favorite core record of 2019

Non-core favorite was Jim Jones - El Capo

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Album of the year: Judiciary - Surface Noise
EP of the year: Mortality Rate - You Were The Gasoline

Parachute
May 18, 2003

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Album of the year: Judiciary - Surface Noise
EP of the year: Mortality Rate - You Were The Gasoline

i can ride for both of these picks. ive been listening to that new knocked loose a ton too and i think its way better than their other material. the old stuff just didnt have the same umph.

edit: man this currents single just fuckin slaps

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey why did all of Grayscale Season's stuff disappear from Spotify?

Stelio Kontos posted:

Counterparts has my core pick, Capstan has my heavy elements but not quite core pick, and my wildcard make-fun-of-me-if-you-want-but-shits-good pick is Taylor Swift.

XIII posted:

I will stand beside you and die on this hill, brother. If I included my "guilty pleasure" non-heavy poo poo genres, my list would be at least twice as long.

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, the new Taylor Swift album is fun as hell.

I'm going to make fun of you all because you picked the Taylor Swift album over the vastly superior Carly Rae Jepsen album.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

drat, I'm realizing I didn't have a lot of album purchases this year - at least those that were actual 2019 releases.

But my album of the year is Periphery - Hail Stan.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

For -core stuff? Yeah probably Hail Stan. But there was a ton of great metal out this year: Boris, Cult of Luna, Moon Tooth, Earth, Opeth, Russian Circles and Pelican all put out new albums this year that were top-notch.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Periphery decided to start Hail Stan with Reptile and it only gets better from there. Car Bomb released Mordial and, in my humble opinion, it absolutely murders. Knocked Loose is fine, but yeah, so far it's Periphery and Car Bomb for me as far as core-ish bands go.

Also (non-core in this care), Alcest released Spiritual Instinct, demonstrating that Kodama wasn't just a fluke and it's just... so drat beautiful. :allears:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wark Say posted:

Periphery decided to start Hail Stan with Reptile and it only gets better from there. Car Bomb released Mordial and, in my humble opinion, it absolutely murders. Knocked Loose is fine, but yeah, so far it's Periphery and Car Bomb for me as far as core-ish bands go.

Also (non-core in this care), Alcest released Spiritual Instinct, demonstrating that Kodama wasn't just a fluke and it's just... so drat beautiful. :allears:

the Car Bomb songs they played on the radio had way too many 80's-Casio-FX pew pew noises, IIRC, so I never listened to the full album.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey why did all of Grayscale Season's stuff disappear from Spotify?

It'll be back soon. They signed with a new label who is going to reissue their latest album, so they've temporarily pulled stuff while they figure out the details

quote:

I'm going to make fun of you all because you picked the Taylor Swift album over the vastly superior Carly Rae Jepsen album.

New CRJ is definitely great and I'd probably take it over TS if I had to choose.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

I honestly don’t get the hype around her, Emotion had some interesting instrumentation and was structurally not your average pop album, but everything since then has been middling at best.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

the Car Bomb songs they played on the radio had way too many 80's-Casio-FX pew pew noises, IIRC, so I never listened to the full album.
The album is so good that the little pick-scrapping and crazy-rear end freakouts Greg does only add to the loving insanity the rhythm section bring forth, imho, except for 1 song. But I respect your opinion. :)

Hopefully Gojira can step back on the pick scrapes too.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wark Say posted:

The album is so good that the little pick-scrapping and crazy-rear end freakouts Greg does only add to the loving insanity the rhythm section bring forth, imho, except for 1 song. But I respect your opinion. :)

Hopefully Gojira can step back on the pick scrapes too.

I just checked out a couple tracks from Mordial and it's definitely NOT what I was thinking of, I'm not sure what I'm remembering now, tbqh.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

XIII posted:

It'll be back soon. They signed with a new label who is going to reissue their latest album, so they've temporarily pulled stuff while they figure out the details

Ah, I figured it was some kind of label thing.

Stelio Kontos posted:

I honestly don’t get the hype around her, Emotion had some interesting instrumentation and was structurally not your average pop album, but everything since then has been middling at best.

u r ded in the pit

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

carbomb sucks but not as bad as the call me maybe girl. y'all are crazy

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I can't imagine how bored I'd be if all I ever listened to was the most brutal (as approved by Shoog) pigsqueal deathcore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Posted this in the other thread but if you guys never listened to Maximum the Hormone you probably should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdwT5JlH8gM