Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/watchmen-season-1-episode-7-an-almost-religious-awe-explained-1258567

quote:

"Considering episode seven's ending, it would appear we have some explaining to do," Lindelof tells The Hollywood Reporter about the ending of "An Almost Religious Awe," in a quick interview conducted over e-mail. "I'm answering these questions before it airs, but if I were watching the show, I'd be starting to panic that we can't possibly bring this all together in just two more episodes. So, uh…don't panic?"

quote:

What were your initial ideas about how to bring Dr. Manhattan into the fold for your series, and how did that lead to the Cal Abar character? Was this a turn you arrived at early on in breaking the season, or did it come late in the process?

I started this whole journey from the perspective of a fan — what would I have to see in a television show daring to call itself Watchmen? Dr. Manhattan was near the top of that list. But even higher was that we needed to tell a new story with a new character at the center of it. Once we landed on Angela Abar as that center, the new rule became that any legacy characters we were using (Veidt, Laurie and Hooded Justice) could only be used in service of Angela's story…she was the sun, everyone else needed to be orbiting around her. So how could Dr. Manhattan, a man with the power of God, be in service of Angela's story as opposed to the other way around? Based on his past (and all the tropes of Greco/Roman mythology), the answer was intuitive…love. We knew this relationship could only work if Manhattan took the form of a human, and so, the idea of Cal was born. And yeah, it came early. Almost from the jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Midgetskydiver posted:

So of all the women on Earth, Dr. Manhattan falls for the secret granddaughter of the secretly black first masked vigilante? Lol ok
Dr. Manhattan originally started reconnecting with his humanity when he realized how unlikely Laurie's birth was.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nephthys posted:

Laurie was just surprised guys. The whole season her thing has been making bare-faced power plays to gently caress with whoever she's talking to and get them on the defensive. She was trying to do that with the widow by nakedly accusing her of being 7th Cav and was just honestly taken aback by her immediately confessing and pulling out a dumb looking remote which didn't seem to be doing anything.

I mean who the gently caress expects someone to have a goddamn trapdoor in their livingroom in 2019? It was completely out of left field.

I mean, I had no idea what the thing with buttons she was ominously clicking actually did before it happened, but in my head I'm screaming "bitch, that's a ray gun, or mind control, or it explodes hearts: loving run!" :derp:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, I had no idea what the thing with buttons she was ominously clicking actually did before it happened, but in my head I'm screaming "bitch, that's a ray gun, or mind control, or it explodes hearts: loving run!" :derp:

Yea but now that I think about it again, slapping it out of her hand and or running isn't really becoming conduct of an Agent questioning a suspect. Crawford wasn't under arrest or anything, and maybe Laurie knows she's got to wait to get more evidence to react as if Crawford is an actual threat or braking the law

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
drat, poor Dr Manhattan, having to spend all those years posing as a man who took his wife’s last name.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

There were a lot of pages that I can't read so if this was already mentioned, sorry, but my friend is rewatching the show now that he got his wife on board and in the first 2 episodes noticed that every single Cal scene was book-ended by a timepiece being on screen. So that's neat.

I still call some shenanigans on Angela's kid playing with the floating mansion building set. That's such a Doc move.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Maybe it was a toy only Cal gave him? Like, it's a one of a kind, maybe

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

Save Me D.....ave Coulier

Save Me Dudes

Bill and Ted confirmed

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lindelof made dr manhattan do blackface but literally. Lol

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

There were a lot of pages that I can't read so if this was already mentioned, sorry, but my friend is rewatching the show now that he got his wife on board and in the first 2 episodes noticed that every single Cal scene was book-ended by a timepiece being on screen. So that's neat.

I still call some shenanigans on Angela's kid playing with the floating mansion building set. That's such a Doc move.
I know, intellectually, that Dr. Manhattan being Cal is way more thematically appropriate than being Topher. But holy poo poo, if that loving castle had that big a payoff... man, that would have been wild.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I enjoyed how unimpressed Laurie is with Keene's supervillainy. This is a woman who, in the course of one day when she was in her 20s, witnessed unseen wonders on the surface of Mars, broke up with God, went to Squid Ground Zero, then to Antarctica, found out about an actual supervillain's supervillain plan, shot him, watched god kick his rear end, then hosed her new boyfriend by the world's most expensive swimming pool. Its fun seeing that character here, 30 years later, just totally Not Buying literally anything any other person considers extraordinary

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Topher isn't adopted, right? Maybe he's just a chip off the ol' atomic pile.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Millennium Clock is going to broadcast something alright

gently caress yes

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I find myself imagining what it must have been like to read Watchmen as it was coming out in 1986 and being unable to shake the feeling that this wonderful intricate jewel was going to poo poo itself any second instead of just enjoying the ride because you're a cynical rear end in a top hat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tin can made man posted:

I enjoyed how unimpressed Laurie is with Keene's supervillainy. This is a woman who, in the course of one day when she was in her 20s, witnessed unseen wonders on the surface of Mars, broke up with God, went to Squid Ground Zero, then to Antarctica, found out about an actual supervillain's supervillain plan, shot him, watched god kick his rear end, then hosed her new boyfriend by the world's most expensive swimming pool. Its fun seeing that character here, 30 years later, just totally Not Buying literally anything any other person considers extraordinary

Silk Spectre was almost 40 for the events of watchmen and is 70 when the show takes place.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
At least there isn't a love triangle.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wow it gets even worse.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

My guess is that Veidt was the meteor that landed a few episodes ago and he's (as most everyone has guessed) currently chilling out in that statue. The escape plan (which the clones are in on) was to both alert Trieu and inflame the Warden to banish/bronze him.

Yup, he is in that statue

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Killer robot posted:

The flashback was in an era where black Republicans weren't unusual.

So like a were-elephant?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

KoRMaK posted:

Yea but now that I think about it again, slapping it out of her hand and or running isn't really becoming conduct of an Agent questioning a suspect. Crawford wasn't under arrest or anything, and maybe Laurie knows she's got to wait to get more evidence to react as if Crawford is an actual threat or braking the law

if the old nazi ginger actually seemed like a threat, spectre would have pistol whipped the taste out of that cow's mouth.

she also hasn't been able to spring out of chairs since the hip replacement.

I love Jean Smart.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

upgunned shitpost posted:

if the old nazi ginger actually seemed like a threat, spectre would have pistol whipped the taste out of that cow's mouth.

I love Jean Smart.

She is fantastic in Legion

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

upgunned shitpost posted:

I love Jean Smart.

I want a show that’s just an hour of her dunking on people. I don’t think they could get Laurie to work without her, she’s so good in this.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The elephant is Watchmen's polar bear.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I find myself imagining what it must have been like to read Watchmen as it was coming out in 1986 and being unable to shake the feeling that this wonderful intricate jewel was going to poo poo itself any second instead of just enjoying the ride because you're a cynical rear end in a top hat.

There are no bad issues of the watchmen comic. While every episode so far has been worse than the last on this show. In my opinion!

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I think they're using elephants just because of the raw brain size. Kept sedated, used as storage for traumatic memories of either key individuals or just as many people as possible, then hijack the 7th cav broadcast and give them and everyone the broadcast reaches (all of America) a super dosage of empathy.

Maybe Keene will succeed in whatever he's planning but thanks to Trieu he'll actually become a decent human and therefore a superhuman that is a force for neutral/good in the same way that Manhattan has been.

edit: Nah, nostalgia is a drug, not a broadcast. I need to stop guessing. Maybe they'll forcefeed nostalgia and all the memories just to Keene, maybe mesmerise him to swallow a whole bunch. STOP THINKING ABOUT IT BRAIN

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 3, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Re: the book: Veidt’s plot is dumb. The squid sucks and isn’t set up properly.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Veidt’s plot is dumb. The squid sucks and isn’t set up properly.

It’s good actually.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If anything they spend too much time setting up the squid with the Black Freighter segments.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

:same:

McSpanky posted:

he is

youtube alerts payin off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4fQhHBuvc0

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I'm really not sure how I feel about this show right now but goddamn, I know how I feel about this!

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Raxivace posted:

If anything they spend too much time setting up the squid with the Black Freighter segments.

those don't set up the squid, except in the thematic sense of "this is about Veidt murdering a ton of people because he's paranoid", the squid is really just in the discussion of the disappeared artists on a secret island, which if you add up all the panels is maybe two pages in the whole thing tops?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

ElNarez posted:

those don't set up the squid, except in the thematic sense of "this is about Veidt murdering a ton of people because he's paranoid", the squid is really just in the discussion of the disappeared artists on a secret island, which if you add up all the panels is maybe two pages in the whole thing tops?

The mechanics of Veidt's plot are less important than the fact that he did it.

In the movie they replaced the squid with a Manhattan fusion reactor and it did not really modify the impact of the story which is focused on Veidt's misguided moral purpose.

Also, they showed an artist painting a giant squid.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I wonder if there's also a sort of 'when poo poo gets real, Dr. Manhattan will show up' kind of protocol in action with Angela. It would not only explain her jumping into dangerous situations with a seeming sense of invulnerability (which, to be clear, may just be who she is) but also how she was saved during the White Night. We all assumed that she was just saved for some reason by Judd. Maybe it was Jon.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I'm just running the numbers, because, really it's not actually too much, it's in fact just enough for the information to be there and for you not to contextualize it until it's too late. If you want a take, the reason why we think Watchmen the comic is so great is, in part, because we've had 30 years to study it in its totality back and forth, and to wring every bit of intention laid there by Gibbons, Higgins and Moore out of it. We're seven out of nine chapters into this show called Watchmen, and for as much as I've enjoyed the ride, I don't think it's all that wise to make grand pronouncements until we have the full context for some of its most "out there" ideas.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ElNarez posted:

I'm just running the numbers, because, really it's not actually too much, it's in fact just enough for the information to be there and for you not to contextualize it until it's too late. If you want a take, the reason why we think Watchmen the comic is so great is, in part, because we've had 30 years to study it in its totality back and forth, and to wring every bit of intention laid there by Gibbons, Higgins and Moore out of it. We're seven out of nine chapters into this show called Watchmen, and for as much as I've enjoyed the ride, I don't think it's all that wise to make grand pronouncements until we have the full context for some of its most "out there" ideas.

It’s 7 episodes of a 9 episode season. The time has run out and we’re not going to get almost any satisfying end, at least I don’t think so personally. It’s cool a lot of people in this thread enjoyed the ride and this show but I just wish I could see what you guys see. All I see is a bad show with poorly written characters, a confusing plot and a bunch of mysteries. Next week is supposed to be another flashback episode as well. When will something happen? The final episode?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I noticed more conspicuous lettuce right before the bombing that killed Angela's parents. One more for that motif, I guess.

McSpanky posted:

pay attention

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It’s 7 episodes of a 9 episode season. The time has run out and we’re not going to get almost any satisfying end, at least I don’t think so personally. It’s cool a lot of people in this thread enjoyed the ride and this show but I just wish I could see what you guys see. All I see is a bad show with poorly written characters, a confusing plot and a bunch of mysteries. Next week is supposed to be another flashback episode as well. When will something happen? The final episode?
cool

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ok let’s just post theories instead lol!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It's just a bunch of stuff happening... when is the stuff going to happen??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Loving the scenes with Laurie making GBS threads all over traditional comic book tropes. The trap door and 70s looking broken remote are just icing on the irony cake for her.