Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gabe sucks and if you talk badly enough about his wrestling promotions, he'll come online and yell at you about it. then delete the tweets and block you.

And all that bullshit that went down with SHINE was on his watch. If you go back and look at SHINE's cards, you'll notice a sudden drop off in made talent and a lot more new locals. That's because WWN were loving up transport and accommodations for fly in talent.

The only thing Gabe has ever consistently gotten right is using Lenny Leonard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I don't know what my favorite part of the Dynamite Kid prank war story is. I can't decide between Vince of all people having to tell them to cut it out because the pranks were just violent assaults or Dynamite lying about being paid for fixing his teeth and getting paid by Jacques Rougeau to fix his teeth even though WWF had already given Dynamite money to get them fixed.

Also I'm thinking we're all sleeping on Moolah and she has a good chance at winning this. Yeah there are murderers in this but I think I'd put running a sex ring and destroying women's wrestling in the US as pretty loving awful. The US scene really still hasn't recovered from all the awful poo poo Moolah did.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

alleged slaver Moolah is what they should call her.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

This matchup feels like Heyman vs Benoit lite. Much like in the previous match I went with systemic abuse over personal abuse but I'm hardly married to that here.
And I've been on the Moolah train since before the last tournament ended. If Hell has layers, Moolah is looking skyward at Benoit.

Gumball Gumption posted:

https://deadspin.com/espns-30-for-30-on-ric-flair-glorifies-decades-of-sexua-1820305314

Flair sucks and he will get away with it until he dies and most likely beyond then because he's so beloved.

If it's any consolation he's probably suffered the most consequences of any wrestler on this list. Can't keep a marriage together, lost one of his kids because he was a lovely father and role model, broke, gets sober just long enough to remember why he spends most of his life drunk.

This is what happens when Peter Pan wakes up.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 2, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, I think Moolah should be the front-runner here, I think she goes the whole way and I'd vote her over Benoit in a heartbeat. Tons of horrible people enabled her, but her poo poo is both heinous and severely underacknowledged. The only thing she doesn't have is a murder rap (that we know of), otherwise she basically excels in being a garbage human being.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I thought it was Mick Foley whose jaw Dyno broke, or did he do that to Bruce Hart too?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dias posted:

I mean, I think Moolah should be the front-runner here, I think she goes the whole way and I'd vote her over Benoit in a heartbeat. Tons of horrible people enabled her, but her poo poo is both heinous and severely underacknowledged. The only thing she doesn't have is a murder rap (that we know of), otherwise she basically excels in being a garbage human being.

They both died with feebled 80 year old brains but only one of them was actually of that age, so I'm inclined to vote Moolah there.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought it was Mick Foley whose jaw Dyno broke, or did he do that to Bruce Hart too?

He only hurt the ligaments in Foley's jaw, it wasn't as bad as Bruce Hart's jaw. Unsurprisingly the violent sociopath has so many violent interactions that they blend together when people retell them.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
In theory, Moolah runs into Vince K McMahon in the third round and I have absolutely no idea how that one plays out.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Wouldn't surprise me if there were a few bodies buried on Moolah's old ranch

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pinche Rudo posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if there were a few bodies buried on Moolah's old ranch

she strikes me as more of a pigs kind of cleaner. buried bodies tend to pop up at the worst possible times.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Benoit's bracket should also be interesting since Hogan is getting such a huge percentage of votes in his match and the winner of that will face HHH.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Would be genuinely surprised if Enzo got a single vote against Moolah.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Justin_Brett posted:

Would be genuinely surprised if Enzo got a single vote against Moolah.

The battle to see who's the realest sexual predator in the room

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mekchu posted:

I went with Hogan because Flair was always portrayed as an evil rear end in a top hat both on screen and thus he was always viewed as a bad guy.

Hogan was the guy you were supposed to look up to and it turned out he was equally as awful as Flair in real life. Plus all the bullshit he did to keep other people under him in the card.

That said, I think that guy who abused his kid into this decade should probably face off with Vince McMahon who seemed to enable these assholes.

Interestingly I only started watching in 94 or so so for me character history is that Hogan was always a transparently counterfeit motherfucker just playing "hero" until he got angry that people didn't love him enough and dropped the act and tried to become the ultimate super villain.

Which then also had the dual effect of making Flair the defacto lesser of two evils hero representing family/friends and history and everything Hogan lied about. And that weirdly seemed to just carry over and cloud our judgments of what a scumbag Flair was. Then add in that weird thing we do where because much of Flair's badness was written into his character it almost softens the blow and feels less like a betrayal.

But still, Hogan over Flair.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also for his part in the Gawker/Thiel stuff (however justified his initial lawsuit was) Hogan has indirectly put dozens of innocent people out of work and helped to weaken journalism as a whole.

The aftershocks of that stuff are being suffered by people who had nothing to do with any of the sex tape stuff.

:psyduck: if you're gonna stretch that far, the blame for gawker (and the job losses) has to wrap back around and be almost pure Denton. He decided to run the Hogan tape and refused to take it down after a court order. Hell Peter Thiel's vendetta was because the rear end in a top hat thought it was cool and good to publicly 'out' people. Denton and Hogan even came to a settlement that absolved him of enough personal liability he got out of bankruptcy while gawker still died.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if someone is responsible for the Gawker stuff its the guy who did the lovely thing that caused everything.

Hogan's got plenty of other stuff.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also for his part in the Gawker/Thiel stuff (however justified his initial lawsuit was) Hogan has indirectly put dozens of innocent people out of work and helped to weaken journalism as a whole.

The aftershocks of that stuff are being suffered by people who had nothing to do with any of the sex tape stuff.

:agreed: completely. gently caress Hogan and gently caress Thiel

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn’t Dynamite once inject milk instead of steroids into Davey Boy’s rear end as a joke?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn’t Dynamite once inject milk instead of steroids into Davey Boy’s rear end as a joke?

yeah, but i still have to vote for him over Sapolsky

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Peak Gabe.

https://twitter.com/ldpyes/status/1201634358697832454

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I really thought that the real championship match was going to be Moolah v Benoit, but then I read Grizzley's wikipedia page. But yeah, Moolah can go the distance I think

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chris James 2 posted:

:agreed: completely. gently caress Hogan and gently caress Thiel

Hulk Hogan: so evil that people feel compelled to defend the company that was recirculating someone's sex tape despite multiple requests to take it down instead of him.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Defiance Industries posted:

Hulk Hogan: so evil that people feel compelled to defend the company that was recirculating someone's sex tape despite multiple requests to take it down instead of him.

Literally the crux of Hogan’s lawsuit is that the sex tape was damaging to his career (to the tune of a hundred million dollars). How is that panning out? He got caught saying the n-word on camera multiple times and took just a brief reprieve from WWE but is now back on their payroll.

No one taking this position is actually defending the actions of Daulerio - we’re acknowledging that REGARDLESS OF JUSTIFICATION it’s bad for a billionaire oligarch to bankroll lawsuits with the express purpose of bleeding publications that he doesn’t like dry.

Daulerio literally didn’t work for Gawker anymore at the time of the lawsuit, and the ripples of that lawsuit are far reaching.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1201664723655307264

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Reputed prosecutor hooks up with 2 bit con artist and flips to defense.
I feel like there's an even more interesting story that isn't being told here.

This Brevetti character played a role in keeping Vince out of jail so she gets the nod. Was briefly tempted to not give her the nod because she was just doing her job (in a 'a system of law needs both prosecutors and defense' sort of way, not a Nazi sort of way) but doing crooked illegal poo poo to keep Vince out of jail? Whoops my finger slipped and clicked the button next to her name.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 3, 2019

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

This Brevetti character played a role in keeping Vince out of jail so she gets the nod. Was briefly tempted to not give her the nod because she was just doing her job (in a 'a system of law needs both prosecutors and defense' sort of way, not a Nazi sort of way) but doing crooked illegal poo poo to keep Vince out of jail? Whoops my finger slipped and clicked the button next to her name.

I voted the same way for the same reason. I feel like if you're going to point at Vince as the front runner to win this thing then the people who enable him and allowed him to keep going need to be held to accountable as well. I know that's a bit of a slippery slope but helping to keep him out of loving prison warrants a vote.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That lady sounds like a real piece of poo poo but child molesters are always worse

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Brevetti is absolutely awful, but Lawler is a racist, sexist, pedophile scumbag rapist who just last week called someone a jumping bean.

gently caress 'im. He gets my vote.

EDIT: https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-news-jerry-lawler-on-puppies-falling-asleep-and-upset-fans-at-raw-25

Just last year he was trying to get his puppies nonsense back on air too.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 3, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not going full "for a functioning legal system we need people to defend the guilty with the best of their ability" to justify her actions or tactics... but in a functioning legal system we do need people to defend the guilty with the best of their ability but we totally don't need lecherous, racist, sexist, abusive, rapists.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Also, the idea that one lady stood between a rich white man and jail in the United States is hilarious.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Also, the idea that one lady stood between a rich white man and jail in the United States is hilarious.

woah woah woah, vince wasnt THAT rich back then

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

posting the sex tape was legal

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

*preparing for Stephanie vs. Johnny Ace*
If the feds are Al Qaeda and Vince is the World Trade Center then Laura Brevetti is one of our heroic first responders. :911:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Including a note about EVOLVE that flies under the radar.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1201560713493385216

On top of the recent not paying talent allegations.

Oh hey, Peter Kaasa's a name I haven't heard in forever. He's also bad. Homophobic/transphobic if I recall correctly and during his like, three month excursion in Dragon Gate a couple years ago he injured like three people because he couldn't do his finisher (630 Senton) safely.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
BTW, before I reply to stuff directly: Since MFT didn't mention it, Brevetti folded her firm after 16 years in 2009, went to work as a partner in the NYC office of K&L Gates (McDevitt's firm) in 2013 while becoming WWE's general counsel the same year, and then left both jobs to reopen her firm in 2015. So while she's best-known for the steroid trial work and, among people who remember it, her late husband's (then-fiance's) involvement, she has had further association with the company.

Oh, and for some reason, when Linda McMahon showed up at Tom Cole's unemployment hearing to personally fight his benefits(!), well-known expensive criminal lawyer Laura Brevetti of all people was flanking her. http://wrestlingperspective.com/issue/79/cole2.html

Tom Cole: ...I came out and said, “Let me just mention one more thing. How many employees are in the WWF, Titan Sports, Mrs. McMahon?” She’ s like, “350.” I was like, “How many unemployment hearings do you attend yearly?" She goes, “I never attend.” “Well, I’m a measly ring crew guy. Why on Earth are you attending my unemployment hearing?" “Well, it’s the situation, ba-ba-ba.” They found in my favor. Then they took me one more time and they found in my favor and that was it.

Wrestling Perspective: This was (Laura) Brevetti who was the lawyer.

Tom Cole: Yes.

Wrestling Perspective: So they actually brought Brevetti in who was actually the one from the steroid scandal as opposed to using McDevitt or one of the other lawyers.

Tom Cole: Yes, she was a very, very mean woman. Not that a lawyer’s not supposed to be.

Wrestling Perspective: Did you find it suspicious? Brevetti is a big gun.

Tom Cole: Oh, absolutely. I didn’t know who she was at the time because I’d never met her. I thought I’d met all their lawyers. But evidently I didn’t. I was very surprised they brought her in; very surprised.

ChrisBTY posted:

Do you mean their larger personal story? I agree, but she had already gone into private practice two years before she and Bergman became an item, FWIW.

quote:

I know they didn't have a firm idea of what the feds had on Vince and were building the attempted prosecution around when Bergman was first brought on. (Bill Bastone's Village Voice feature says "early 1993" for the bogus complaint filed against DOJ investigator Anthony Valenti to be parlayed into a New York Observer cover story; that's a good 6-9 months before Vince was indicted) But still...what does it say about what was actually going on when they tried to pull all of these tricks when Vince was indicted and then tried for such a laughably weak case? Remember, regardless of whatever you or I think about Vince's personal culpability for the steroid epidemic, not to mention the other scandals he wasn't charged in connection to, the DOJ did kind of a terrible job unless you buy their conspiracy argument, which the jury didn't. https://deadspin.com/vince-mcmahons-defiant-paranoia-was-shaped-by-his-stero-1836707000 (Vince/Titan/McDevitt/Brevetti not having to call a single witness says a lot, like it or not.)

Coolness Averted posted:

:psyduck: if you're gonna stretch that far, the blame for gawker (and the job losses) has to wrap back around and be almost pure Denton. He decided to run the Hogan tape and refused to take it down after a court order. Hell Peter Thiel's vendetta was because the rear end in a top hat thought it was cool and good to publicly 'out' people. Denton and Hogan even came to a settlement that absolved him of enough personal liability he got out of bankruptcy while gawker still died.
This isn't exactly what happened. Specifically...

Nobody at Gawker ever refused to take down the video after the court order went down. This is explained pretty explicitly in John Cook's blog about the court order: https://gawker.com/a-judge-told-us-to-take-down-our-hulk-hogan-sex-tape-po-481328088

A lawful order from a circuit court judge is a serious thing. While we vehemently disagree with Campbell's order with respect to the video itself, we have chosen to take it down pending our appeal.

But the portion of the order compelling us to remove the entirety of Daulerio's post—his words, his speech—is grossly unconstitutional. We won't take it down.

Even setting aside that I like John Cook a whole lot, "they defied a court order to take down the video" has always been a load of bullshit. Understandable why someone would fall for it, but falling for it means you never read the post about the decision. And that's not even getting into how they won their appeal of the trial/county court judge's order on both the video AND the text, though they never added the video back.

(Also, I forget the specifics, and I should probably look into it again at some point, but during my time reporting on the case, I remember someone pointing out to me that, at some point during all of the appeals, one of the filings with the Gawker edit of the video as an exhibit got fully unsealed. Meaning that by all rights, someone could request it from the court and publication of it would be fully protected speech legally in most states as publication of a court record. Whoever it was told me something to the effect of it not being worth the trouble, though. Which makes sense since the FBI sting recording was also unsealed—at the same time as the big document dump with the N-word related stuff the day of the verdict, actually—but was, mysteriously, not put on the website with the documents or provided to the in-person reporters who picked the documents up on...I forget if it was a DVD-ROM or thumb drive.)

Also, nobody outed Thiel, or, if you feel it was outing, did it without his consent. Owen Thomas, the reporter who wrote the article, checked with a rep for Thiel, who said that it was fine and simply recitation of a fact: https://medium.com/@owenthomas/gawker-peter-thiel-and-me-f80389b84fa3

Add to that the subsequent conversation with a representative for Thiel who assured me that he had no issue with the post, which he viewed as simply stating a fact.

The Thiel side has never disputed this. In his interview for Ryan Holliday's book, Thiel said that he was much more concerned with Denton's comment on the post. In his broader comments about the lawsuit funding the destroy the company scheme, he generally speaks in terms of Gawker/Valleywag being "bad for the Valley" and how it covered he/his friends critically.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 3, 2019

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thank you for your posts Bix

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Chris James 2 posted:

Thank you for your posts Bix
You're welcome, I like to share knowledge of stuff, and also things.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I still maintain that Gawker wouldn’t have been hosed so bad if AJ Daulerio was a normal human and not a massive condescending piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

one might make the equally meaningless observation that they wouldnt have been hosed so bad if peter thiel was a normal human being and not a massive piece of poo poo