Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cr0y posted:

They are all in on just saying the only reality is their own and up until this point they have suffered no negative consequences so why wouldn't they?

I wonder how much of it is that they get off on watching all the senators/reps and news personalities and pundits hop to like jumping jacks desperate to be seen loudly and enthusiastically cleaning up after them, no matter how ludicrous the challenge they set.

Like at this point it’s not just that it’s all a game, it’s that they find it fun to troll their supporters and see just how far they’ll go. Like Yosemite Sam shooting at their feet yelling DANCE VARMINT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

FizFashizzle posted:

hell, in 2-3 years we're going to see the biggest spike in beef since the nixon administration because of how bad the year was for them this year

I am intensely curious about this, could you provide more information

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Amazon Workers to Protest Outside Jeff Bezos' Penthouse on Cyber Monday
vice.com/Dec 2 2019
"A week after a protest at Amazon’s Staten Island warehouse, workers will march on one of the company’s biggest sales days of the year in New York City."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PhazonLink posted:

if they havent done that to Clinton at the height of their power before the slow blue tide, i dont think they'll do that, but who knows.

agreed. i think there are too many long term thinking monsters in the party(roberts and to an extent mitch and a bunch of the senate) who don't want to blow the load with trump. they are better off waiting for another genuinly popular Reagan type monster to pull that poo poo. i also think a bunch of the smart monsters hate trump and want him gone so people will ignore the horrible poo poo again.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 3, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
Not a tiny image tax:

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1201637267938430981

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1201645983580471296

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1201662354414559232

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1201693918988914689

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Hi y'all.

It's late o'clock, but you were warned. I'll write up a big effortpost on soda taxation and related issues tomorrow. Spoiler alert: all of you, on all sides of this conversation, are getting really basic facts, like how these taxes are even constructed, wrong.

Ah damnit noooo now look what you fuckers have done

I'm sorry, the what now?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

Ah damnit noooo now look what you fuckers have done

I'm sorry, the what now?

Probably a report on the impeachment process as it stands right now, given that it all goes to the judiciary committee next.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1201693019780657152

loving lol. Watch the whole clip

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

I wanna be an evil buffoon so I can have some sweet arm candy too.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

republicans: somehow making Cuomo look good

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

republicans: somehow making Cuomo look good

He's terrible and his "Aw shucks, we're all friends here even tho you're a war criminal" shtick gets old real quick, but he does sorta hold idiot's feet to the fire sometimes. He got Joe Kennedy to back down on his stupid Ukraine conspiracy BS. Even Cuomo seemed shocked that someone would say they were wrong.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1201526337724399618

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1201526343571296256

lol at Rudy trying to say he didn't do crimes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think someone had posted a good article about it in the last month, but apparently Barr is a true believer in the right wing conspiracy nonsense about the ‘deep state’ and considers them a legitimate threat

You also don’t go making speeches like the one he made recently to the Federalist Society which was full of just crazy nonsense about ‘progressive values’ being a threat to America if you don’t believe some of it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats interesting is i always weirdly assumed Barr was one of the smarter monsters, liker roberts and mitch or nixon. but recent events including this have made me realize how mistaken i was. the big question is will he make this bigger by attacking the inspector general and trying to dig deeper or just out and out make poo poo up and call for investigations into obama/comey/whoever.

after reading the article. i think he is gonna make some vague dumb statement that sounds positive to trump enough that he just shouts victory and fucks off from the subject.

I do believe that given his former actions with regards to Iran Contra, and even the way he managed to torpedo the Mueller investigation, that he is smart. It's just that like a lot of these guys, he's simply marinated himself so much in the right wing media echo chamber, that he's started to believe the conspiracy theories, and once you do that it doesn't matter how smart you are. You're going to behave erratically.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think someone had posted a good article about it in the last month, but apparently Barr is a true believer in the right wing conspiracy nonsense about the ‘deep state’ and considers them a legitimate threat

You also don’t go making speeches like the one he made recently to the Federalist Society which was full of just crazy nonsense about ‘progressive values’ being a threat to America if you don’t believe some of it.

I mean it could also just be massive projection on his part considering he helped cover up Iran-Contra, and also in 1992 began a secret phone surveillance program on all international calls involving US Citizens.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

He's terrible and his "Aw shucks, we're all friends here even tho you're a war criminal" shtick gets old real quick, but he does sorta hold idiot's feet to the fire sometimes. He got Joe Kennedy to back down on his stupid Ukraine conspiracy BS. Even Cuomo seemed shocked that someone would say they were wrong.

Here's hoping seeing Republicans get even more turbobad than usual in real time in front of his face leads to the same kind of awakening Nicolle Wallace had after she was forced to deal with Sarah Palin in person for the duration of the 2008 Republican campaign. Like touching the Monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey level poo poo.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

This is incredible

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
they all believe that "facts" are things that are flexible, that the "truth" depends on your point of view and they are all trying desperately to find some angle, some place where what trump did looks ok.
look at the old gently caress: he just can't wrap his head around the fact that the truth is a hard "no", "b-b-b-but if you look at it from THIS angle" they squawk.
or, in other words, they 100 percent and totally believe that facts care deeply about your feelings.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

so how do news orgs pick pics for stuff? like god they realy really really really......really....morereallys hate Donnie and his peeps to pick the worse pics. And they dont need to do poor photoshops.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WOW:

BREAKING:

THE UTTER END:

NO COMING BACK:

APOCALYPTIC:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

PhazonLink posted:

so how do news orgs pick pics for stuff? like god they realy really really really......really....morereallys hate Donnie and his peeps to pick the worse pics. And they dont need to do poor photoshops.

To quote the first scene of eastbound and down, Barr looks like "a big ol' bag of mashed up assholes"

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

The most ridiculous thing about this clip is him saying that Trump wants to look at information on the DCCC server to see how they attacked his campaign. That statement alone makes my head hurt to think about it. It's victim blaming with a heavy dose of stupid Trumpian spin. It amazes me how Trump and his supporters manage to make themselves the victim in any situation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
This cannot be stressed enough: the Republican position is now literally Russian disinformation.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

SubG posted:

This cannot be stressed enough: the Republican position is now literally Russian disinformation.

I think that is why people cling so tightly to this ship, honestly:

Either you have guys like Barr who just drink it all down so they can feel like noble victims, guys like Nunes and Rudy who are too tied up in the mess to pull away as he sinks, and longtime ratfuckers like Mitch who know that Trump will pull down as many as he can with him if he falls.

Especially in light of the news that folks like the NRA have been on the Kremlin payroll for years now. While he compains that the DNC conspired with Ukraine, he 'knows' that everyone has kompromat and has told them to toe the line. It doesn't even need to be real, with how easily his base claims his word as gospel: if he went and said 'Old Wrinkly Mitch has been on the Russian Payroll for years! We need a REAL leader who will stand for your GREAT President! (Trump)' then Mitch would be toast. And it could be a complete lie and not matter one whit because he has been conditioned by the Ailes Machine to be the next Great One, victim of conspiracy and valiant champion against the other.

Projection, all the way down.

What I am interested in is the next eight to ten years. The work that Ailes put down in making the right wing sphere so powerful had been cracking even before he was ousted, and his death only exposed the wounds and let them fester. I wonder what it will look like a decade after he is gone. We've already seen splintering harming the party, and it will only get worse as even the die-hard believers will fracture into different pockets.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

skeleton warrior posted:

There are two things going on simultaneously that the media constantly gets confused.

Thank you (and everyone else) for the detailed answer(s). I see that this is more of a Trump makes a big deal out of mundane stuff that was already happening and slaps his dumb brand all over it situation and less of a Trump makes dumb bullshit up whole cloth situation.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

J.A.B.C. posted:

I think that is why people cling so tightly to this ship, honestly:

Either you have guys like Barr who just drink it all down so they can feel like noble victims, guys like Nunes and Rudy who are too tied up in the mess to pull away as he sinks, and longtime ratfuckers like Mitch who know that Trump will pull down as many as he can with him if he falls.

Especially in light of the news that folks like the NRA have been on the Kremlin payroll for years now. While he compains that the DNC conspired with Ukraine, he 'knows' that everyone has kompromat and has told them to toe the line. It doesn't even need to be real, with how easily his base claims his word as gospel: if he went and said 'Old Wrinkly Mitch has been on the Russian Payroll for years! We need a REAL leader who will stand for your GREAT President! (Trump)' then Mitch would be toast. And it could be a complete lie and not matter one whit because he has been conditioned by the Ailes Machine to be the next Great One, victim of conspiracy and valiant champion against the other.

Projection, all the way down.

What I am interested in is the next eight to ten years. The work that Ailes put down in making the right wing sphere so powerful had been cracking even before he was ousted, and his death only exposed the wounds and let them fester. I wonder what it will look like a decade after he is gone. We've already seen splintering harming the party, and it will only get worse as even the die-hard believers will fracture into different pockets.

The problem with being a die-hard believer in a reality that doesn't exist is that while it motivates people to mobilize against their foes, it causes tons of unforced errors because their view of reality is warped. A fascist leader is at heart, a con-artist. They attempt to impose their will onto reality instead of observing it and conforming to reality.

I'm reminded of when Steve Miller allowed many immigrants to pour into sanctuary cities specifically because he thought that they'd act like savages and rape and burn and murder. That didn't happen and it caught him off guard. If you observe fascist movements throughout history, the people in charge become victims of their own lies. The worst kind of con-artist is the kind that buys their own bullshit. It makes them successful at running the con, but reality is ever-present and will launch its foot up your rear end when you're not ready for it.

Personally I think that the Ailes machine will fragment because the republican party has become so insular that it can't create new narratives that appeal to people. It wants to go backwards into a past that not only no longer exists, but can't exist again in the current environment. To go back to a time where white males dominated when there are less of them as a percentage. The same goes for white people in general. The same goes for religious affiliation.

I see the naked appeal to racism as a party that really doesn't have anything else. They'll continue to pivot and posture and bullshit and a good number of people will believe in that bullshit. The cynical will flee from the passionate when they take charge because the world that the passionate, true believers want to create will not be the comfortable, backroom dealings of power. It'll be loving coocoo bananas and anyone not indoctrinated into their ever expanded conspiracies and self-mythologizing will be turned off by how dumb and crazy it's going to get. And to make up for their shrinking base, they'll whip their remaining people into a froth to get more power from a shrinking population. The problem is that there is a finite amount of action you can get from a group of people. Some become exhausted and tune out. Some ask questions and get drummed out. Others won't accept the abuse when people in the power structure vent cruelty on them. And this mass of people, this movement, grows wilder and crueler and dumber by the moment.

The problem with the Ailes machine is that it was made for a specific purpose. Don't allow another republican president to be removed from office ever again. This machine needs competent people to operate it and those competent people are primarily rational in their actions. That is not to say that they're good people, but it is to say that they understand reality largely for what it is and just don't like it. However, when true believers get access to that machine, it begins to break down because you need a rational, if not cynical worldview to understand the levers of power and how to pull them and how hard to pull them and when to pull them. As rational people are ousted or leave in disgust, true believers replace them because that's the pool of people available to you. You attempt to patch up the faults with zeal, but institutions don't run on zeal. In fact, institutions crumble when too many zealous people infiltrate. Institutions require practiced, disciplined people who achieve practiced, measured results over and over again. It's a machine and that machine needs parts that fit and behave according to the needs of that machine.

The machine that Ailes made is coming to its logical conclusion. It achieved its goal. Donald Trump will most likely not be removed from office. But the means that it took to create those circumstances meant that people need to be shielded from reality and that there needs to be some sort of narrative that contradicts and attacks reality. The problem is that we live in reality and reality can only be ignored for so long before it kicks your rear end.

The republican party was not always a fascist movement, but fascists have infiltrated it. And you've correctly identified what is going to happen. Fascists are fractious and catty. If there's no one to unify them, they'll continually break into smaller and smaller segments. And as the true believers infiltrate positions of power and don't have a figure to rally behind, those machines will break into smaller, less optimized, even non-functioning machines.

Talent flees when the zealous are stupid and in charge. The current iteration of Fox News can't survive. Its viewership is ancient and shrinking. It can achieve its goals, but only at the expense of becoming delusional.

Imagine a man huffing his own farts forever.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

SubG posted:

Yeah, it's more obvious than ever this whole thing's a sham. Guys, they're not scared of "Trump 's base" and they're not protecting Trump for his sake, they're protecting Russian interests.

It would be so easy for them to dump Trump and bring in someone else willing to say all the racist stuff and tax break stuff a little more coherently and without all the obvious crimes and organizational incompetence. If Republican leadership turned the media and propaganda apparatus against Trump the majority will turn against him because it's the main thing keeping him going at this point.

And they would get away with this basically scot free politically because all they would have to do is blame Russia! It'd be easier for them to form a nationalist authoritarian majority constituency with a bipartisan existential foreign threat that they could use to keep everyone properly freaked out and bludgeon the left with ("what are you, one of them loving commies?") and just live out Cold War II, and hell, if they're really lucky they might be able to eventually leverage all this into bombing Iran or some poo poo.

But no, instead of using any of this to their advantage they're bending over backwards and blowing any and all political capital they've ever built to keep an obviously criminal rear end in a top hat buffoon from getting impeached, keep their 40% in polls from ever venturing outside their bubble, and to extremely painfully cultivate a pro-Russian constituency in the US.

Whatever is motivating them, they're not even working for their own interests anymore, it's all about Russia.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It would be so easy for them to dump Trump and bring in someone else willing to say all the racist stuff and tax break stuff a little more coherently and without all the obvious crimes and organizational incompetence. If Republican leadership turned the media and propaganda apparatus against Trump the majority will turn against him because it's the main thing keeping him going at this point.

I disagree. Someone charismatic doesn't rise to the top in politics very often. When they dump Trump, they'll memory hole him fairly quickly, but who fills those shoes?

And this is an honest question. Who in the republican party has Trump's charisma to unite the fascists together? I don't see anyone at the moment in power who can do it. They'll pretend at charisma, but anyone truly charismatic will still need money and they'll bow to corporate interests who will water down what they say and that will turn people off.

Trump isn't unique, but our political system tens to filter out charismatic demagogues.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/RepMattGaetz/status/1201578378429681665

"PROJECTION your honor, PROJECTION"

*judge bangs gavel* "Case over."

Amazing Zimmo fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 3, 2019

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

I disagree. Someone charismatic doesn't rise to the top in politics very often. When they dump Trump, they'll memory hole him fairly quickly, but who fills those shoes?

Kanye West

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Ice Phisherman posted:

And this is an honest question. Who in the republican party has Trump's charisma to unite the fascists together? I don't see anyone at the moment in power who can do it. They'll pretend at charisma, but anyone truly charismatic will still need money and they'll bow to corporate interests who will water down what they say and that will turn people off.

Trump isn't unique, but our political system tens to filter out charismatic demagogues.

Honestly? You'll see it come from the Prosperity Gospel side of the house.

Trump's biggest sin is that he pulled the curtain back on just how dirty politics can get. A perennial grifter, a bankrupt-prone fool moving from one scam to the next, using one of the world's most prestigious offices to blatantly enrich himself. And his supporters love him for it because he is as nakedly vicious and petty as they are. He is the zenith of the angry, beset 'real american' made by the Ailes Machine, despite being a cowardly, useless silver-spoon coastal elite. Denying reality once again.

He fits right at home with the fake doctorates and bullshit line of Prosperity Gospel. Joel Osteen, Jim Bakker, Paula White, Franklin Graham, I could list names for days. These moneychangers in the temple defend him partly because he feeds the same base and partly because they are cut from the same rotten cloth of preying on the weak and gullible in the disguise of something grand. And ever since the 'Moral Majority', huckster religion and huckster politics have entwined like inbred lovers chasing money and power.

And it isn't new, of course. But I could definitely seeing someone like Graham or White deciding to 'continue fighting and giving for the Lord' by running for office. The old barriers were scattered by the 2016 election and everything after, so I can't confidently say that they would stay out because of their personal fortunes or past scandals.

Living through Nehemeah Scudder. These are The Crazy Years.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol, so, this is 100% definitely going to be the exact same thing as Ukraine, right?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

lol, so, this is 100% definitely going to be the exact same thing as Ukraine, right?

What did Lebanon announce in the news recently?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Amazing Zimmo posted:

is claiming that our overlords are "the media" a dogwhistle?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

the president is so poor he has to get Pro Bono lawyers?

Also doesn't a lawyer need to be paid to represent someone, or is that one of those Better Call Saul / John Grisham TV tropes?

E: or is this as admission that he doesn't need to get paid because the grift is so good?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Amazing Zimmo posted:

It's not projection. Saying it's projection is implicitly arguing that all of the Republican shrieking ghouls are basically honest actors who are merely falling victim to cognitive biases. That's not what's happening. And, more importantly, even if it was it's kinda past the point where that would even matter.

Years ago the Kremlin and the Russian intelligence services launched a campaign to attack the integrity of American elections and to undermine democracy in America. As of right now, today, President Trump, House Minority Leader McCarthy, ranking member of the HPSCI Nunes, AG Barr, and other senior members of the Republican leadership are actively participating in that campaign. That is: they are specifically and actively undermining US institutional efforts to counter the Russian activities, and they are specifically and actively acting in furtherance of them. As in it is beyond any reasonable doubt true that this is happening, beyond any reasonable questions of interpretation or political bias or anything like that.

Note that I'm not suggesting that ranking Republicans are all Russian moles, or on the Russian payroll, or any James Bond superspy horseshit like that. It is neither necessary nor, from the Russian perspective, desirable that that be true. It is sufficient that Russia has created a crisis and then dangled a lifeline for the Republicans to cling to, and they're clinging to it. There's certainly room to debate to what extent various Republicans are willing or knowing participants in all of this, and to what extent they're merely barking mad tools. But that's just set dressing that doesn't change the underlying fact that they're doing it.

So when turboshitheels like Gaetz engage in up-is-down propaganda like this it's not projection any more than it is economic anxiety. It is part of an active campaign to undermine democratic institutions predicated on undermining the ability to conduct the (at least semi-)rational discourse necessary to maintaining anything like a functioning democracy.

Psychological projection is a defence mechanism. What Gaetz is doing here isn't defensive. It's an rhetorical attack. And specifically it's a rhetorical attack favoured by fascists: accuse your enemy of wanting to do what you want to do, as this justifies attacking them. If you're a cop and want to shoot an unarmed black man, you say the unarmed black man made you fear for your life, so you had to kill him. This isn't projection. It's propaganda.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats interesting is i always weirdly assumed Barr was one of the smarter monsters, liker roberts and mitch or nixon. but recent events including this have made me realize how mistaken i was. the big question is will he make this bigger by attacking the inspector general and trying to dig deeper or just out and out make poo poo up and call for investigations into obama/comey/whoever.

after reading the article. i think he is gonna make some vague dumb statement that sounds positive to trump enough that he just shouts victory and fucks off from the subject.

It doesn’t matter how smart you are. You’re gonna sound like an idiot if you have to go outside every day and tell the world the sky is purple because your boss says so.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Discendo Vox posted:

Hi y'all.

It's late o'clock, but you were warned. I'll write up a big effortpost on soda taxation and related issues tomorrow. Spoiler alert: all of you, on all sides of this conversation, are getting really basic facts, like how these taxes are even constructed, wrong.

you sir have piqued my interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Charlz Guybon posted:

I do believe that given his former actions with regards to Iran Contra, and even the way he managed to torpedo the Mueller investigation, that he is smart. It's just that like a lot of these guys, he's simply marinated himself so much in the right wing media echo chamber, that he's started to believe the conspiracy theories, and once you do that it doesn't matter how smart you are. You're going to behave erratically.

Yeah, you can be a Rhodes scholar but if you spend all day watching Fox news you'll still act like an idiot because your brain will get poisoned.