Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Dean should have looked at Jamal’s reaction to the fake advantage play, because that would have told him that Jamal knew it would be fake, and thus the “real” advantage is also fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think Survivor has a history of fans sympathizing with someone who's genuinely annoying because their castmates all treat them like poo poo. Which is fair. For example I do prefer Karishma to Missy, Sugar to Corinne, etc. because even if the former people have some personality flaws that's different than just being unkind.

Spook posted:

Why didn't Karishma vote for Dan? So bizarre
Good thing she didn't or we'd have had to watch Janet get voted out over Dan in the re-vote

Also: Glad to see I was correct regarding Jamal's fake legacy advantage being one of the best things he could've come up with given what he was working with. It worked! Sort of!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AdmiralViscen posted:

That wasn’t a diss on her (though I don’t know why she needs a defender after her conduct on the show). I have no idea if she gave an interview or not. I get everything about Survivor from this thread, so I asked.

I didn't think I was defending her but :shrug:

Fast Luck posted:

I think Survivor has a history of fans sympathizing with someone who's genuinely annoying because their castmates all treat them like poo poo. Which is fair. For example I do prefer Karishma to Missy, Sugar to Corinne, etc. because even if the former people have some personality flaws that's different than just being unkind.

Good thing she didn't or we'd have had to watch Janet get voted out over Dan in the re-vote

Also: Glad to see I was correct regarding Jamal's fake legacy advantage being one of the best things he could've come up with given what he was working with. It worked! Sort of!

Don't forget Wendy :v:

Also re: the fake Legacy Advantage, didn't Dean say that he was pretty sure the "real" one is still a fake but he's just going to play it up like it's real to help himself? Like, last week nobody even thought of voting for him because of that. And at f6 it's even scarier because if you're splitting votes "just in case" it only takes one person to flip to send you home, assuming you're on the wrong side of the flip (and if you're not splitting then you just basically have to hope that Dean's vote isn't on you). The hard part will be navigating himself through the next two votes because I assume he'll get targeted for being a physical threat before the other vote where it could theoretically be active.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I love how they conveniently have paints in camp to make fake idols.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Invalid Validation posted:

It could be left over from when the tribe makes their own banner at the merge.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Invalid Validation posted:

This reminds me, I forget if anyone mentioned it in thread because I was skimming reactions after watching the episode, but when Noura went through Karishma's bag did anyone else notice how she was like "I found a note and some shells on a string but no idol"

Like holy cow that has to be a top ten most clueless moment in the series right?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

This reminds me, I forget if anyone mentioned it in thread because I was skimming reactions after watching the episode, but when Noura went through Karishma's bag did anyone else notice how she was like "I found a note and some shells on a string but no idol"

Like holy cow that has to be a top ten most clueless moment in the series right?

Did she really? I missed that and was so confused why in the following scenes no one seemed to know Karishma had an idol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

blue squares posted:

Did she really? I missed that and was so confused why in the following scenes no one seemed to know Karishma had an idol

Yeah she straight up found the idol and the note and dismissed them as trash Karishma had picked up from the beach or something, I was floored

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I thought Karishma just had the idol in her bra the whole time there.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

curiousCat posted:

I thought Karishma just had the idol in her bra the whole time there.

Yeah she never shut up about where the idol was stuffed

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
People are extraordinarily lovely to Karishma...

...in this thread. I’d rather spend time with people with Karishma’s personality than people who feel comfortable enough to casually poo poo on someone the way people here think they can over a TV show edit. It’s real embarrassing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

Also re: the fake Legacy Advantage, didn't Dean say that he was pretty sure the "real" one is still a fake but he's just going to play it up like it's real to help himself? Like, last week nobody even thought of voting for him because of that. And at f6 it's even scarier because if you're splitting votes "just in case" it only takes one person to flip to send you home, assuming you're on the wrong side of the flip (and if you're not splitting then you just basically have to hope that Dean's vote isn't on you). The hard part will be navigating himself through the next two votes because I assume he'll get targeted for being a physical threat before the other vote where it could theoretically be active.

I dunno, it doesn't really work like that if he played his fake advantage so the other players wouldn't think he had a real advantage. Seems he thinks he can hide the "real" fake advantage now and play it at the F6 tribal...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I dunno, it doesn't really work like that if he played his fake advantage so the other players wouldn't think he had a real advantage. Seems he thinks he can hide the "real" fake advantage now and play it at the F6 tribal...

Yeah it depends on if he plans on revealing the real fake or keeping it a secret just in case. I can't remember if he committed either way in that regard in his confessional.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty posted:

...in this thread. I’d rather spend time with people with Karishma’s personality than people who feel comfortable enough to casually poo poo on someone the way people here think they can over a TV show edit. It’s real embarrassing.

I've never met the person Karishma but the character "Karishma" on hit television show Survivor is a dumb whiny baby whose only skills are making people vote for her, and the ability to fall asleep standing up.

I forget where I heard it but Survivor has been described as "a fictional show made from nonscripted footage" and it makes a lot more sense that way.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

I agree with you but only to a point. How we talk about a TV person to other goons on the something awful forums and how we would act irl to any person are almost entirely decoupled from one another.

At least I hope so

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

I forget where I heard it but Survivor has been described as "a fictional show made from nonscripted footage" and it makes a lot more sense that way.
Honestly that's pretty much all documentary filmmaking.

Like there's very little difference in approach between something like a true crime doc and any given Survivor season, other than subject matter (Grisly real murders or whatever vs. what is usually just a goofy game show).

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

The Bloop posted:

I agree with you but only to a point. How we talk about a TV person to other goons on the something awful forums and how we would act irl to any person are almost entirely decoupled from one another.

At least I hope so

That's how I treat it. There are very few castaways that I wouldn't want to interact with irl -- like Dan or Russell Hantz.

But Karishma, Wendy, Philip Shepard, random social outliers, I have a "fake" hate for because it's an edited show and being annoyed at someone you don't have to interact with irl can be pretty drat entertaining. Those kind of characters help make the show truly unpredictable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Noura not finding/recognizing the idol is just kind of symptomatic of the way they've treated Karishima and the general attitude of this cast. They don't see her as a peer so they didn't consider her capable of messing up their plans or keeping a secret or finding an idol or whatever. She's just not a threat or equal to them. Its the same as when Lauren dismissed Elaine as being too stupid to put one over on them and then she and her crew melted down when in fact she did. Or the absurdity of Missy being blindsided and then lying about votes afterwards. They're just arrogant assholes so they don't conceive of losing. Especially not to people like Elaine and Karishima.

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah it depends on if he plans on revealing the real fake or keeping it a secret just in case. I can't remember if he committed either way in that regard in his confessional.

My interpretation of Dean's scheme was that he was making his own idol so he could trick the tribe into thinking he burned Jamal's idol and keeping it secret. It wouldn't seem to make sense for him to reveal that he still has Jamal's and just made and used his own fake idol to trick them. His whole plan seems to be built on the believe that Jamal's idol is real, which I'm pretty sure he said he believed outright.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I thought Dean said he thinks it's real, and that's why he was making the fake one, so he could still use the *real* one?

The idol wasn't in her bag, she had it on her. Not sure what the shells and note were.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's what I remember. "They don't think its real but I do. I said I was gonna just burn it but I'm gonna make a fake one and burn that so I have the real one and no one knows." His scheme makes no sense if he thinks its fake. He was just operating under the assumption it was real and taking advantage of the fact that no one would be able to see what piece of parchment he handed Jeff.

Re: Noura/Karishima I was actually less reacting to them not finding the idol in her bag (a move I will continue to consider really scummy even if its just an accepted part of the game now) but rather how shocked and caught off guarad they were that she messed up their plans. That struck me as the same kind of disbelief Missy and Lauren's crew had those other times. None of them seemed prepared for the possibility of things not working out as they planned.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's not just that they were caught off guard, they were also Big Mad that they finally thought they were going to be rid of Karishma only for it to turn out that wasn't the case.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

(a move I will continue to consider really scummy even if its just an accepted part of the game now)

why

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

An invasion of people's personal space and honestly, a pretty lazy game move. I find it funny that some players think they're some massive gamers and dismiss others as "goats" but then can't strategize around the goat, find their own idols, social game the info, or whatever and their only move is to just dig through the goat's stuff to try and find the answers in the back of the text book.

Also it SHOULD be a damning social move. If I see you go through someone else's stuff I know you'll go through my stuff. If I know you're betraying an ally I know you'll betray me. If I know you relish in lying and blindsiding someone I'm waiting for you to do it to me.

edit: And I think that's the heart of all the "so mad" responses we've seen. This cast has a very obvious habit of seeing each other as players or goats. Dean's whole "Goat Army" thing came off really obnoxious to me. If half the tribe are "goats" and if they're capable of uniting to take out all the "players" then are they "goats"? This cast likes to dismiss peers as pawns and not see them as equals, so when one of the "goats" makes a move that screws them they get real mad because they didn't anticipate that coming.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 3, 2019

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I'm getting major Albert from South Pacific vibes from Dean. A guy who thinks hes way better than he really is, is mocked in the edit, gets to the F3 and is reamed as a zero-vote finalist

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think the irony of that speech was that when we first saw that clip of him saying "Reporting to the Goat Army" I was really expecting he was identifying himself as a goat. But for whatever reason he's convinced he's a big time player. I think this tribe just has been big on "we are the elite" since way back to Jamal's original crew and Dean is convinced he's in the cool club now. Maybe he's right, but I don't think so.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Albert was at least partially a victim of who he was playing with. With his alliance you pretty much had to go along with the Coach cult because of the Pagonging and you couldn't really strategize or make friends with people; just get to the end and dump on Coach, which he couldn't really do since he was too nice.

Dean, on the other hand, just has an inflated ego because of the fact that he's a "fit" guy who's decent looking. Except that people can already tell he's horrible at challenges and he has nobody that would defend him. Well Kellee did, but then he threw her to the wolves.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

edit: And I think that's the heart of all the "so mad" responses we've seen. This cast has a very obvious habit of seeing each other as players or goats. Dean's whole "Goat Army" thing came off really obnoxious to me. If half the tribe are "goats" and if they're capable of uniting to take out all the "players" then are they "goats"? This cast likes to dismiss peers as pawns and not see them as equals, so when one of the "goats" makes a move that screws them they get real mad because they didn't anticipate that coming.

Yeah, I think this is why I find most of the cast so unlikable. There have been so many moments of someone just absolutely looking/talking down to someone else and expecting them to just follow orders even though it's not really in their best interests. And then when the ordered person hesitates, the person doing the ordering goes into a confessional and calls the person being ordered stupid for not doing what they wanted them to do.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Not entirely the same, but watching those people get voted out gives me the same feeling that I got from watching the Goliaths get voted out episode after episode, no matter how much they yelled "Goliath strong" and talked about how great they were

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, I think this is why I find most of the cast so unlikable. There have been so many moments of someone just absolutely looking/talking down to someone else and expecting them to just follow orders even though it's not really in their best interests. And then when the ordered person hesitates, the person doing the ordering goes into a confessional and calls the person being ordered stupid for not doing what they wanted them to do.

Yeah. That's what really soured me against Missy. Everyone was stupid to her because they didn't serve her game.

I would like to see Missy return as a villain if they bring back an HvV season, though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I'm getting major Albert from South Pacific vibes from Dean. A guy who thinks hes way better than he really is, is mocked in the edit, gets to the F3 and is reamed as a zero-vote finalist
Yeah, Dean is getting a big edit but it all ranges on bad-to-goofy. Stupid Dean suggesting a vote split in front of the entire tribe, Detective Dean can't figure out what the hell just happened, Goaty Dean calling others out as goats, and actually somewhat decent parchment-swap fake legacy play gets the dodo music because he's doing it to hang onto an also fake advantage. Definitely getting that losing finalist feeling.

AWarmBody posted:

Yeah. That's what really soured me against Missy. Everyone was stupid to her because they didn't serve her game.

I would like to see Missy return as a villain if they bring back an HvV season, though.
Missy claiming to Tommy she wasn't coming for him after Jeff just read out two Tommy votes is so hilariously absurd

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Missy claiming to Tommy she wasn't coming for him after Jeff just read out two Tommy votes is so hilariously absurd

I think this was the first time I had ever seen someone in legit shock to the point their brain couldn't comprehend they were voted out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Not entirely the same, but watching those people get voted out gives me the same feeling that I got from watching the Goliaths get voted out episode after episode, no matter how much they yelled "Goliath strong" and talked about how great they were

I was actually rooting for the Goliaths because it was so obvious that they wanted us to root for the Davids. Most of the Goliaths were actually kinda nice or funny other than maybe Cop Dan (who at least seems okay in real life), and then on the Davids you had Carl and Gabby who were thoroughly meh.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

I was actually rooting for the Goliaths because it was so obvious that they wanted us to root for the Davids. Most of the Goliaths were actually kinda nice or funny other than maybe Cop Dan (who at least seems okay in real life), and then on the Davids you had Carl and Gabby who were thoroughly meh.

:rip: Johhny Survivor

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

AWarmBody posted:

Missy is never ever coming back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well she'll be back for a super awkward reunion episode.

Maybe.

It would be funny if half the Jury ghosted that too to avoid Talk Show Jeff.

And Missy being brought back as a villain would be funny if only because there's no way Missy can process that she's a villain.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

And Missy being brought back as a villain would be funny if only because there's no way Missy can process that she's a villain.

I'm suddenly all for bringing Missy back

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Had an interesting galaxy brain line of thought... So, we see Dean as a goof, largely because his establishing scene was the vote split and the show played up the “showmance“ for Chelsea’s boot. But Dean doesn’t think he is. Now imagine if some scenes were played a little differently, like if we got something like:

Dean confessional: I got swapped into a really bad spot. If I don’t do something here I’m gone, so I’m trying to work on Kellee. She knows my ex-girlfriend so I’m currently leaning on that.
Kellee: Dean here’s an idol
Dean confessional: OH MY GOD, SHE GAVE ME AN IDOL

and now he’s dumped her like a killer and moved on to a secure place in the mid-merge majority!

So maybe he’s not a goat, but.... does lose at the FTC... and the show wants to make sure viewers are prepared to see the attractive white dude lose to someone shocking. Like a Noura

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Noura has shown that you CAN play this game honestly. She cannot lie or hold a secret when asked. That's pretty amazing and not what I would expect after 39 seasons

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Noura wouldn't be shocking at all. She has three immunity wins now I think? I'd have her pretty high on my rankings of players left in the game. Probably higher than Karishma still.

e: actually let's just make one. These are just tiers so anyone in a given tier is basically in the same spot imo.

Elaine
Janet

Lauren
Noura

Tommy
Karishma
Dean

Dan

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AWarmBody posted:

Noura has shown that you CAN play this game honestly. She cannot lie or hold a secret when asked. That's pretty amazing and not what I would expect after 39 seasons

There is a big difference between playing the game, and trying to win the game