Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/GaryGibbonBlog/status/1201616036409180160
'When you go back to the Tony Blair days, you know, you had a great leader and you knew what he stood for - rightly or wrongly - and you trusted him, to a certain extent. Whereas with Corbyn, nobody knows!'

'For the people that run this country, they're extemely wealthy, they're billionaires. And for Brexit to happen, it'll be a disaster for the very, very wealthy people. Not for the likes of us. So I think that's why it's taken three years and we're no nearer.'

'Boris Johnson is such a character. He's a buffoon to some extent, but he's a lovable buffoon. And straight-talking! You'll get an honest answer out of him - it might not be what you like, but he'll answer it. And everything he's saying, he has a rapport with me.'

all these people claim to have voted Labour in 2017 :shepface:

This whole thing boils my piss but the loving idea that Labour can't pay for their manifesto is creasing me. Not because the manifesto is costed and all, but because the classic attack line against them and indeed any left party, is "But they'll put up your taxeessss!" like maybe you think that's bad but that's where the money comes from ya ding-dongs. Also "I don't know what Labour stand for" hmmm maybe pay the slightest bit of attention?

e; This is the 29th page in this thread.

e2; Arrrghhh imagine wanting to vote Leave because you're hosed off but then considering voting Tory how do brains get this broken :negative:

e3; lmao this lass who goes off on Johnson for his loving constant lying and being mad at him for lying even to the Queen (pbuh) and then raising her hand when asked who might vote tory just lmao

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Jan/Feb 2019

Dec 2019
https://twitter.com/simonk_133/status/1201618308623224832
:mmmsmug:

And this flew under the rader but:

Dozens planned new centrist party after Brexit, says ex-Tory minister posted:

Nick Boles says ‘final resolve’ of supporters was lacking

Advanced plans for another centrist political party to be launched after Brexit were developed by MPs earlier this year, it has emerged.

Dozens of figures from inside and outside Westminster were involved in the project, designed to go public once a second Brexit referendum was no longer possible.

Nick Boles, the former Conservative minister who quit the party over Brexit in April, said he had been “constantly” in talks about a possible new party and had at one point been confident it would happen. An earlier failed attempt to launch a new party, Brexit delays and the tantalising prospect of a second referendum had stopped it.

“It’s almost all I’ve been doing,” Boles said. “I can’t mention names, but it involved some very seriously good people, both MPs and not MPs, but people of great ability, experience and commitment. We had everything in a sense, except for the final resolve of a sufficient number of the individuals we needed in the Labour party. Without that, we were never going to get anywhere.

“If you’d asked me a few months ago, I would’ve been very optimistic that by now, something would’ve been up and running. Probably I deluded myself. Because I had made the break, and because I hadn’t thought about it for a very long time and did it in stages, I somehow assumed that it was easier for others to take the same journey than it is. What I’ve realised is that it’s a very difficult journey.”

Boles, who is standing down as an MP at this election, said the project could only have succeeded if Brexit had been secured, allowing those wanting a soft Brexit and those wanting a second referendum to unite.
[...]
He said the failure of the party of 11 MPs launched in February, initially under the banner of The Independent Group (TIG), damaged public appetite for a new party. Initial success evaporated after the group changed its name and struggled with a lack of organisational strength.

“It was a jumping of the gun on a process that had begun but hadn’t matured,” he said. “Because TIG happened too soon and screwed it up, that gave those who were more nervous about the idea an excuse not to [split].

“It’s not impossible that Theresa May’s Brexit deal could have got through parliament, maybe at the second time of asking. Then I think, a potential second attempt at creating something new might easily had happened, and might even have been more likely than not.”

While it was not impossible such a force could happen from within parliament, Boles said it could actually emerge as a campaign outside Westminster. “The question for people like me is, I guess, is that it?” he said. “Throughout the process where I was having these conversations and planning meetings with various others mainly in the Labour party since I left, a number of people said to me, ‘Nick, I admire what you’re trying to do, I wish you all the success, but this is not how it is going to work’. It will work if it’s a genuine, grassroots political movement that gathers force and takes parliament by storm - and erupts into an election cycle.

“It won’t be something that is made up of a bunch of MPs elected for some other party and [who] for various reasons became disenchanted and created a liferaft to clamber aboard. I must say, while it’s very hard for a movement of that kind to succeed, I sort of buy the argument that that is how it’s got to happen.”

:lol: CUKTIG's absolute failure hosed up the plans of another bunch of failures hoping to set up another bland centrist poo poo party.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'I don't know what he stands for!!' actually means 'I know what he stands for and I don't like it, but I know I can't say that without revealing myself to be a ghoul'.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Ms Adequate posted:

This whole thing boils my piss but the loving idea that Labour can't pay for their manifesto is creasing me. Not because the manifesto is costed and all, but because the classic attack line against them and indeed any left party, is "But they'll put up your taxeessss!" like maybe you think that's bad but that's where the money comes from ya ding-dongs. Also "I don't know what Labour stand for" hmmm maybe pay the slightest bit of attention?

e; This is the 29th page in this thread.

e2; Arrrghhh imagine wanting to vote Leave because you're hosed off but then considering voting Tory how do brains get this broken :negative:

e3; lmao this lass who goes off on Johnson for his loving constant lying and being mad at him for lying even to the Queen (pbuh) and then raising her hand when asked who might vote tory just lmao
A part of me wants to say that whole thing was... not staged exactly, but definitely planned out beforehand with carefully curated participants.

The Tories invite a news crew to come observe their focus group and tell them 'oh we never expected to get many Labour Leave voters crossing directly to us, but you know what? I'm feeling quite hopeful now!'. They have a panel of people who all say they voted Labour in 2017 (when Corbyn had been leader for two years, when Labour's policies were mostly the same as now, when the Tories central policy was just as much 'Brexit Brexit Brexit' as today), but now all agree they could never vote for that untrustworthy Jeremy Corbyn who's so shifty and you don't what he stands for, and everyone nods and says 'Exactly!' at each other's points and the whole group's in perfect agreement. They play a video clip of Boris, and everyone simpers and talks about how loveable and trustworthy he is, a bit of a buffoon maybe but still a great leader, aw, couldn't you just give him a hug! And at the end, well wouldn't you know it, every single one of them is thinking of voting Tory this tome around. Then the news crew go away and give a glowing report on the Tories' great success at poaching Labour voters. It's just all so perfect. Dom Cummies couldn't have scripted it better.

Like, it makes you sound like a loving loon, going on about rigged media and Potemkin focus groups, but... gently caress. I think I said before that this election makes me understand how a lot of Trump voters felt (er, about the election itself) in 2016 and kept themselves motivated, and I have no idea how to feel about that or if it's healthy.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

mila kunis posted:

This poo poo's being boosted by goon hero Brown Moses of all people

Classic Mose

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Apraxin posted:

A part of me wants to say that whole thing was... not staged exactly, but definitely planned out beforehand with carefully curated participants.

The Tories invite a news crew to come observe their focus group and tell them 'oh we never expected to get many Labour Leave voters crossing directly to us, but you know what? I'm feeling quite hopeful now!'. They have a panel of people who all say they voted Labour in 2017 (when Corbyn had been leader for two years, when Labour's policies were mostly the same as now, when the Tories central policy was just as much 'Brexit Brexit Brexit' as today), but now all agree they could never vote for that untrustworthy Jeremy Corbyn who's so shifty and you don't what he stands for, and everyone nods and says 'Exactly!' at each other's points and the whole group's in perfect agreement. They play a video clip of Boris, and everyone simpers and talks about how loveable and trustworthy he is, a bit of a buffoon maybe but still a great leader, aw, couldn't you just give him a hug! And at the end, well wouldn't you know it, every single one of them is thinking of voting Tory this tome around. Then the news crew go away and give a glowing report on the Tories' great success at poaching Labour voters. It's just all so perfect. Dom Cummies couldn't have scripted it better.

Like, it makes you sound like a loving loon, going on about rigged media and Potemkin focus groups, but... gently caress. I think I said before that this election makes me understand how a lot of Trump voters felt (er, about the election itself) in 2016 and kept themselves motivated, and I have no idea how to feel about that or if it's healthy.

I suspec this is highly accurate, and that even this kind of focus group testing done properly (If this is not genuine) will inevitably be open to problems and biases. It still winds me up though, because even if the people were chosen carefully and put in the situation carefully, they did still say that shite they said. But, eh, it's not like I think they're the heralds of a genuine wave of voters that will kill Labour dead so I should probably just ignore them.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Jan/Feb 2019

Dec 2019
And this flew under the rader but:

:lol: CUKTIG's absolute failure hosed up the plans of another bunch of failures hoping to set up another bland centrist poo poo party.

This is big league lols, they all thought they were making clever plans but all their massive egos crashed into each other like so many floppy dicks and even the ones who managed to set up Continuity CUKTIG are about to get demolished while the rest didn't even get that much of a sop to their egos because incompetent radical Jeremy Corbyn successfully led the anti-Brexit forces to stopping Brexit and is on course for a Second Referendum

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mila kunis posted:

Lol what a knobhead.

Got his CIA money and stopped giving a poo poo lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lol, the Cuk-Tig 'grown-ups' and their GCSE Marketing idea of political parties. They thought they could sell themselves like it was McDonalds advertising a new meal deal: do a poster campaign, think up the right slogan and the dumb plebs'll come crowding in with their votes. The wishful thinking and political fan fiction generated by the Guardian melts when the party was launched was the real icing on the cake for me.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
The funniest party named after Chuka ... so far!

Haven't seen the actual text of this so far, but apparently Labour's disability manifesto is out today. And it's loving over PIPs. :getin:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/03/labour-vows-to-end-prejudice-faced-by-disabled-people-in-uk

quote:

Labour has promised to end what it calls the “hostile environment” for disabled people in the social security system as part of a raft of plans to tackle discrimination.

The party’s disability manifesto, published on Tuesday morning, proposes a range of measures across welfare, public services, transport, housing and jobs to enable disabled people to live independently, be treated with dignity and respect, and participate fully in society.

The manifesto promises to sweep away a hostile environment of prejudice against disabled people it says was promoted by government to justify nine years of austerity cuts, and replace it with system that ends poverty and offers people security and dignity.

The Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, said: “The treatment of disabled people by Conservative and Lib Dem governments, from devastating cuts to social security support, to cruel and unnecessary assessments, and a complete failure to address the disability employment gap, should be a source of shame.

“Labour will put right this injustice. We’ll ensure that disabled people get the support they need to lead independent lives and participate fully in society. We are on your side.

“This election is a chance for real change, for a more inclusive, fair and equal society that works for the many, not the few.”

The party promises to scrap universal credit “in the medium-run” and replace it with a new benefits system co-designed by disabled people. Labour says this cannot happen overnight, so it will introduce reforms to soften the process, such as ending the five-week wait for a first payment and removing punitive benefit sanctions.

The Department for Work and Pensions – which the party says has “become a symbol of fear for disabled people” – will be overhauled as part of plans to transform the culture of social security. “Labour will make us as proud of our social security system as we are of the NHS,” the disability manifesto says.

The much-criticised assessments for personal independence payments and employment and support allowance, both currently delivered by private contractors, will be scrapped and replaced with a more responsive system that engages with claimants’ medical evidence.

The manifesto adds: “Labour will work with disabled people’s organisations to develop a replacement to the current assessments based on a personalised, holistic assessment framework that provides each individual with a tailored plan, building on their strengths and addressing barriers.”

It promises to challenge the discrimination faced by disabled people in the workplace, and halve the disability employment gap, which currently means just 51% of disabled people of working age are in work, compared with 81% of non-disabled employees.

Employers would be legally required to close pay gaps – currently disabled people are paid 12% less than non-disabled counterparts – and supported to retain disabled employees.

A government-backed “reasonable adjustments passport” scheme would be introduced to help disabled people move more easily between jobs.

Labour’s approach to change will be driven by disabled people, the manifesto says. “Under Labour, change will not be something that happens to disabled people – it will be something that is led and shaped by them.”

This is very good thank you Jeremy Corbyn

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Possibly teaching grandma to suck eggs but:

Be careful because there are strict rules over photos, buildings, businesses that can appear.

Apparently labour (nationally) pay out £000s each year in fines when peoples' images or businesses have been used without permission. The national party have made it clear this time that they will NOT be paying any fines, these will be payable by the CLP and photographer directly.

To be safe (and I know this can be galling) but only use photos of actual members. Members of the public have to sign a release - verbal permission is NOT ENOUGH.

You also shouldn't use public buildings eg hospitals, libraries and if you are doing a street scene, it's ok if it's general but don't stand outside a specific shop or business in a way which suggests endorsement by that business of labour.

Obviously you will see thousands of posted images including fro local parties which appear to violate these conditions and maybe no one does anything about it, but you might be the unlucky one.

We have a press officer who vets all our postings in the labour party name plus we share anything issued directly by labour or welsh labour.

If you are intending to do paid adverts you will need to get involved with the dreaded Promote system. It's taken our person day after day to get through all the various promote requirements and then the business facebook requirements. (I did it in 2017 and it seems more onerous this year). And then arbitrarily facebook decides she's not authorized and she has to go through it all over again. And if you are paying for adverts you need to be absolutely scrupulous about the paid coverage - putting a central point and a radius around it is absolutely NOT sufficient. I have spent hours on google earth with the official constituency KLM file mapping postcodes to make sure we don't go over into neighbouring constituencies.

Sorry if you know all that anyway (but hey, someone else might be reading who doesn't).

CC instead of BCC chat:

One of our local members did that tonight in error - fortunately with a subset of members who are doing the canvassing. Let's hope none of the 20 people included get funny about it!

PS If you want to poo poo post about Johnson and share dodgy memes, it's ok to do it under your own name! Try not to do it with your official CLP hat on!

From last page, but do you think it would be possible to do something gently caress-y like publish photos to a repository under a CC-BY licence (public domain, free reuse) in a personal capacity and then just cite them in party communications?

I know it's a little "technically correct, the best kind of correct", but it's a trick I learnt for academic publishing purposes that so far hasn't backfired.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

mila kunis posted:

Wrap it up, Corbyn's a ruskie and the Tories wanting to sell off the NHS is a russian lie

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1201566025067708417

God forbid I retweet an article from a major news organisation based on research of organisations I've worked with, relating to a topic I've personally been involved with. Also, where in that article does anyone claim the Tories wanting to sell of the NHS is a Russian lie?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
in the first sentence, where it uses the word disinformation

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It literally claims it can't verify the legitimacy of the documents and that they were provided by a devious foreign and therefore it totally might have been russia guys.

If that's your standard of journalism you're an even bigger hack than I thought. It's a complete non-article JAQing off about how you can't trust the documents.

This is the substance:

quote:

The leak and distribution of classified British-U.S. trade documents online resembles a disinformation campaign uncovered this year that originated in Russia, according to experts who say it could signal foreign interference in Britain's election.

Because:

quote:

A link to download documents with the same content and metadata as the documents released by Labour was first shared on Internet discussion site Reddit by a user who made language errors typical of non-native English speakers.

Therefore:

quote:

The researchers interviewed by Reuters said the websites used to put the information online, Twitter activity and language errors all resembled the Secondary Infektion campaign.

Lisa-Maria Neudert, a researcher at Oxford University's Project on Computational Propaganda, said if Russia was behind the leak, its aim may not have been to help any particular side in the election.

"We know from the Russian playbook that often it is not for or against anything," she said. "It's about sowing confusion, and destroying the field of political trust."

loving russia brain nonsense. Foreigners posting on reddit = russian psyops.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 3, 2019

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Corbyn must destroy his enemies, they are only capable of lying, traitors are everywhere.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The fake news media making false claims of Russian disinformation, where have I heard that before?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

The fake news media making us false claims of Russian disinformation, where have I heard that before?

Wow with that kind of contextual analysis I can see why people call you a journalist.

gently caress off back to america or wherever you spend your time sucking yank dick for cash and leave those of us who actually need to win this election to do it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Maybe you should stop treating politics like a cult.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

Maybe you should stop treating politics like a cult.

Just because you can sit high above poltiics on your throne of "impartiality" doesn't mean the rest of us can. Act like any other media prick, get treated like one.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Wow, you do such a great job winning people over to your side.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You were never on our side.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Brown Moses posted:

Wow, you do such a great job winning people over to your side.

:decorum:

This thread has actually won over quite a few people to their side over the years, me included.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

You were never on our side.

I was literally planning to vote for my local labour candidate, and voted Labour in the last European and General elections.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011
Just watched Sky news attempt to murder our wonderful Laura Pidcock over the leaked NHS documents. SKY NEWS haven’t been toooo bad where it comes to blatantly obvious bias but the last week has seen quite a switch. Today I had to turn it off. Kay Burley outright haranguing LP over the source of the documents. Refusing to talk about the content and throwing as much doubt of the veracity of the documents as she could in a 5 minute section. The distraction tactics are real.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

I was literally planning to vote for my local labour candidate, and voted Labour in the last European and General elections.

Oh well that makes you immune to criticism doesn't it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ScrtDrugAddict/status/1201186459270754304

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Oh well that makes you immune to criticism doesn't it.

Maybe you should realise not every voter treats politics like a cult of personality, there's bigger issues at play.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Brown Moses was totally going to vote Labour you guys, it was just all those mean leftists that forced him to be a Tory

Absolute Zeroes posted:

our transphobic Laura Pidcock

Ftfy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's definitely why everyone's really invested in the outcome of the election, cult of personality, yep, you cracked it, big journalist brain you got there, do you have a column in the guardian? Tell us more why russia is the most important thing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Since Owlfancier is on the vitriol, it may not say outright that it's fake claims made up by Russians, but it sure as hell implies it especially from the headline. Given the amount of scaremongering around fake news and russian trolls, people will think they anything to do with Russian electoral meddling is fake, and putting "An actual government document that's bad for Boris the russians may have got hold of somehow" in that category is trying to discredit it by association.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

Was or still am?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've never voted Tory in my life, not would I consider doing it, not least because of the massive damage Thatcher did to the coal mining communities my family comes from.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Since Owlfancier is on the vitriol, it may not say outright that it's fake claims made up by Russians, but it sure as hell implies it especially from the headline. Given the amount of scaremongering around fake news and russian trolls, people will think they anything to do with Russian electoral meddling is fake, and putting "An actual government document that's bad for Boris the russians may have got hold of somehow" in that category is trying to discredit it by association.

Uh, no, clearly it does not outright state that connection therefore it is not making it, implication and tone do not exist, unless it's being rude to big journalist boy.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Oh no I just realised I’m actually a Russian psyops agent and I didn’t even know it

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Brown Moses posted:

Maybe you should realise not every voter treats politics like a cult of personality, there's bigger issues at play.

Yeah... like the NHS.

Whos blatant forthcoming sale you're currently helping imply is a Russian disinformation campaign.

Perhaps it is you who are the mono-focused obsessive, not seeing the bigger picture here?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

The rationale for it being a Russian release seems weak, spelling mistakes aren't exclusive to Russian hackers, but it's fair to be aware and wanting to fight back against Russian hacking of our government. The presentation of the doc as disinformation though is itself disinformation.

There's been no argument from the UK government about whether these docs are valid. Attempting to frame is as disinformation rather than a leak of actual real information seems just completely wrong.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The article says it resembles a disinformation campaign from earlier in on the year that originated from Russia, which is how researchers came to the conclusion it could be foreign interference in the current election, and at no point in the article does it claim the leaked documents themselves are false, and therefore disinformation.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Brown Moses posted:

The article says it resembles a disinformation campaign from earlier in on the year that originated from Russia, which is how researchers came to the conclusion it could be foreign interference in the current election, and at no point in the article does it claim the leaked documents themselves are false, and therefore disinformation.

It implies it REALLY HEAVILY, dude. Also, why are Labour on the spotlight for this? Surely have the government on and say "are these fake? If yes, show us the real ones". This is the simplest loving journalism in the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guys stop pretending like there's an implicit contextual suggestion that things originating in russia are fake, just because it makes sure to point out that it can't verify the legitimacy of the documents doesn't mean it's suggesting they're fake. I'm a journalist.

There's bigger things at stake here! Context is not one of those things!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Brown Moses posted:

Does it matter what the article actually claims? The headline basically reads 'Scumbag Corbyn spreading Russian fake news'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

I've never voted Tory in my life, not would I consider doing it, not least because of the massive damage Thatcher did to the coal mining communities my family comes from.

Hmmm, I did not say Tory, I asked about Labour. Does this mean you are Lib Demming? If so, I urge you to reconsider and vote Labour no matter what to help real life people all around you.