Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I've been keeping cities to the historical ones that exist at game start (in the civilized lands) and razing the new ones that the AI builds in dumb spots (fortunately, if they build on a food tile, razing the city brings it back). In barbarian lands with zero starting cities, I build only one per province, in the best spot possible (farmland, coastal, next to a river, with a port, is ideal, depending on the province you might have to settle for plains with 'nearby river' pop capacity bonus) and make that the capital. It's ideal to only have one fat city per province, having more than a couple with decent population will run into food issues most likely, but in barbarian lands that's likely never gonna happen, so if i have to plop a city on a farmland producing grain, or a coastal port producing fish, I don't feel too bad about it.

I likewise spec my cities for research. They suck for producing trade goods unless the population is insane (my cities have a 22% slave ratio and currently require 18 slaves per surplus, so they need a minimum population of 82 for a single extra trade good) I build a single theater, a single temple, then three libraries. You get rapid diminishing returns on multiple libraries, since all the buildings that adjust the desired fractions are really adjusting weights, with the final percentage being that pop type's percentage divided by the sum of all the different pops' desired weights. And for that reason, combining libraries, forums, and mills is counter-productive. Anyway, I did some rough napkin math in my Rome game, and three libraries was all that gave a marginal increase of greater than 2.5% more citizens, while each academy gives 2.5% increased research, so after three libraries I spam academies as allowed. Aqueducts I only build in cities with enough modifiers that give more than 10 pop capacity per aqueduct, which at the game start limits them to farmland cities only (might change late game with enough stacking bonuses). Settlements, I build farming settlements everywhere possible, then slave estates everywhere else. I used to build mines but razed them all and don't anymore, since unlike slave estates, they don't boost food output. Another tip about food: if you have a heavily populated capital and are importing a ton of grain (it's the most efficient since each additional good is a flat +5 food), don't forget to make sure that you also have at least one of fish, livestock, and vegetables, since the first one of each gives a +10% modifier, which can end up being more than +5 after you're stacking enough imported grain.

Still trying to get a handle on the migration system. Seems like pops can really only move to either the capital, province capital, or ports (and it seems like slave distribution from conquests works the same way). So, if you have an inland city that's not the province capital, or a port, no one's gonna be able to move there. You can use aqueducts to encourage pop migration where desired, the open capacity they provide encourages pops to move there. Tribesmen are also super slow to migrate (like they might take a century or two to move one pop...) without the province legation building but gently caress building those. I keep demolishing the ones I conquer (along with tribal estates) just so I don't forget to destroy them later, but it's probably optimal to leave the legations there until all the tribesmen migrate to a city where they can be assimilated, converted, and promoted/demoted. I'm also finding that in newly-conquered lands with high unrest and unhappy pops, it's more effective to leave them on the "local autonomy" governor policy and let them slowly convert, where having the active culture/religion conversion policies would give an effective progress of 0% due to all the negative modifiers from unhappiness and unrest.

I'm enjoying 1.2 a lot (though I also enjoyed 1.0 at release, and didn't think it was fundamentally broken like some people did). Biggest annoyances right now are the unending spam for trade requests for the food that's keeping your people from starving (an inefficient workaround is to trade away what you produce, and then import more from other provinces, which wastes trade routes but stops the spam) and that the 'nearby river' province modifier to pop capacity was seemingly automatedly and randomly applied, and it's being correctly redone by hand for 1.3.

This thread has some interesting information about cities that got me thinking (it's some gamey min-maxing, but has some useful principles in it, though I don't follow all of them):
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-state.1278714/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-livy-update-and-punic-wars-pack-release-december-3rd.1288802/

The next update comes out on December 3rd.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

drat nice, guess I'm gonna shelve my pritania game for now and pick it up again after. Those changes look awesome, I especially like the character/family rework to make characters more interesting and worth caring about and the mission system to give better focus and guidance to the player. I'd been feeling especially in the further flung barbarian lands that a sense of direction is seriously lacking and this should help

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Them adding more territories to places like Britain and Greece is just wild. I'm not complaining! Just, wild. How dense can we go :black101:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Well Greece has so many single territory states that more provinces is proportionately more useful over there (plus a lot of weird impassable mountains)

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I'm contemplating buying this game, but the early reviews were... not great. What's the general consensus on its current state and potential? I'm a huge fan of CK2, particularly the role playing aspects. How are the rp possibilities in Imperator?

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 28, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Much less than CK. They might be better in the next patch but they’re super threadbare right now.

It’s OK. I got about twenty hours of it so I’m not pissed I bought it but I’m going to wait for a few more content rich updates before my next play through.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The rework to the underlying pop and region mechanics has been pretty successful and now the game has a pretty compelling mechanical base going forward. Now they just need to layer some interesting regional and internal narratives on top of these mechanics and hopefully that will be coming with the next content update thats about to drop on December 3rd.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thanks for the replies, guys. I might wait a bit to see which direction the game takes before buying it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I’d say imperator is better as a big fan of eu4 than a big fan of ck2.

But yeah it’s still a little rough but this dec3 patch might be the tipping point to “eh good enough”

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
When you conquer dumb poor barbarians and build cities in the regions, they come out made of wood and straw and have the color of poopy mud. Does this change once youve civilized them to be literate greeks?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Nope, I've seen dev mentioning they didn't do graphical change for provinces sorry cities sorry territories yet.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-rome-developer-diary-2nd-of-december.1292193/

Patchnotes.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Thanks for the link

quote:

# Diplomacy
- Average truce length decreased by roughly 40%

gently caress yes :black101::black101::black101:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

quote:

- The maximum manpower is now 20 years of Manpower gain rather than 25. Overall Manpower will now be lower as a result of this.
- Base Manpower reduced by 50%.

That, uh, that's going to reduce manpower caps to 40% of what they were. The AI already seemed to be spending most of its time at or close to 0 MP...

and mercs have had a maintenance increase, so this is going to kneecap countries' ability to hellwar.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

That, uh, that's going to reduce manpower caps to 40% of what they were. The AI already seemed to be spending most of its time at or close to 0 MP...

and mercs have had a maintenance increase, so this is going to kneecap countries' ability to hellwar.

Attrition is non-existent as long as armies are supplied with food so this makes more sense in context.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, under the old system attrition was killing at least as many men as combat, quite possibly more. This may even be a net gain to functional manpower, assuming it's not overly difficult to keep armies supplied.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

That's a point, hadn't considered that.

It's gonna be weird playing a Paradox game where attrition isn't the biggest killer.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Patch and DLC are live now. Restart Steam.

Earliest patch time for a Paradox game I remember, not that I complain.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Paradox releases always used to come out around 10am Swedish time back in the old days.

Nice patch! Wow, Etruria allied with Carthage for the first time I've seen, that crimps my normal early game opening move.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

V for Vegas posted:

Nice patch! Wow, Etruria allied with Carthage for the first time I've seen, that crimps my normal early game opening move.

:stonklol:

That's... Not good news for Rome

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

TorakFade posted:

:stonklol:

That's... Not good news for Rome

gaulish_sickos.jpg

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm trying to finish my Rome campaign in Cicero before updating... the struggle is real...

Also, I just upgraded to a 1440p IPS monitor (LG 27GL850-B) and I am sitting here in awe of how drat good the map in this game looks.

E: Said "gently caress it" and updated, RIP my dream of Augustan borders.

E: Went back to Cicero. 1.3 looks neat, but it was killing me that they reduced the number of available mapmodes (I like that they're customizable, but not that I can't have all the ones I want) and broke edge scrolling (at least on dual monitors)

Azuren fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 3, 2019

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Welp I got a wierd glitch with the new patch. Autosave and specific save dont work. Cant overwrite on either. As in I played to 500 but autosave is stuck at 467, actual save wont advance either.

Clears up on restart (of computer) but this means that games can easily get hosed, if you think you saved, well you didnt...

Gaj fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 4, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Playing a little bit today, this new mission system helps a llt and makes everything feel way less aimless.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
To clarify, while overwriting a save "works" in the sense that the button goes down and the game says saving, the data does not seem to be over written, and wierdly enough goes BACK in recorded saves. Such that:

If you save on year 1, it will always go back to year 1

Autosave may work on year 2.

Creating a new save file will somehow mirror the data from the first save, on year 1.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Anyone know how I should be building my navy? I dont understand what boats to use and when.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I would expect a hotfix soon, the saving bug is widely reported and Paradox said, "This is a known issue and something that should be part of the fix in the near future " on their forums.

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about staying on 1.2 :v:

That said, Imperator patches do seem to be buggier than usual. I was in the seeming minority that enjoyed 1.0 at launch, and was annoyed by the 1.0.1 "can't take islands in peace deal" bug. For bonus points, I bought the game on GOG, and we never got the beta patches that Steam did, at least for that version.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's weird that the flavor pack aimed at the Punic Wars and Carthage doesn't include new land unit models for Carthage.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Initial impression is that your manpower reserve feels more like a reserve and less like fuel for your army shaped rockets. Cool.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

less like fuel for your army shaped rockets. Cool.

lmao this is actually the perfect analogy for how it was.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The save issue should now be fixed fyi, but they messed up something in the hotfix so the version still appears as 1.3 instead of 1.31 or whatever

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I am still irrationally angery at how city appearnce is fixed at game start. I tried an experiment where I made city (it was the mud village model), brute forced cultural and religius assimilation, destroyed the city, rebuilt it when the majority for both was Hellenic. City model still mud, not clean stucco.

Also tried this super slow by changing the culture of province first, then built a city. Still looks like mud.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Thinking of jumping in on the free weekend. How’s the economic/trade gameplay? Are there any nations that lend themselves to this kind of play?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

doingitwrong posted:

Thinking of jumping in on the free weekend. How’s the economic/trade gameplay? Are there any nations that lend themselves to this kind of play?

No.

Here's how trade works: your land produces resources. A province that has a resource gets a bonus for having it. There are special bonuses for having two of any particular type in your capital. So mostly what you do it move surpluses around to max your bonuses and stop your cities from starving. Occasionally other countries will ask you for some of your surplus to satisfy their needs, and that's where the money is. There's no real trade game there to speak of. You can't go out and sell stuff.

The rest of the economy is about slaves. You get slaves from war. You can also build buildings, but to do that you need building slots, which you get from having lots of population. Which comes back to slave raiding.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 5, 2019

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is there any guide or database about how sometimes when you build a city, the trade goods produced changes? It seems to mostly happen when you build a city on a food tile.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Gaj posted:

Is there any guide or database about how sometimes when you build a city, the trade goods produced changes? It seems to mostly happen when you build a city on a food tile.

You got it. If you build a city on a territory that produces food, it will change to one of several 'urban' trade goods. The tooltip before you build it will list the odds of what each one will be (25% chance of earthenware, etc). If you reduce a city back to a settlement, if it originally produced food, it will return to producing food.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Haven't touched this since before the Cicero patch and I no longer know how to play this game. Is there a way to flag a particular trade good as being off the table for trading? I have several provinces that need to keep one or two of their base food goods to keep from starving but everyone wants to buy them off me.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Not really. There is an option to not consider trades that would take a surplus away from the capital (on by default I think?)

Luv 2 be drowned in constant offers to buy grain from Rome even though I'm already importing a ton of food there specifically to not starve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Two things I'm seeing is the AI blobbing hard and also civilising really quickly. Like a majority of Gaul and Hispania are democratic republics now, a century in.

Something else: if you take the monarchic branch of the civilising mission tree, you eventually hit "Bureaucratic Purge". The Purge is one of these missions that lasts a year and gives you constant events during this period. Now, one of your clans will have been designated "the republican clan" at the beginning of the mission tree. The events the Purge gives you are "kick the republican clan out of their offices"- governorships, army commands, etc. You'll keep getting these events until they're all gone- you can choose to be tolerant, at the expense of stability, but literally a couple of days later you'll get the exact same event for the exact same character with the exact same options. You will be hammered with these events until you give in and kick them out.

So that's bad, but it gets worse: clans have retinues. Which means that at least one of them is always going to be a general. And no, they are not exempt from these events. If you choose to kick the retinue leader off his army, he goes, and the stack turns into a regular stack, but he'll immediately spawn a new retinue and you'll start getting events for that. It's completely hosed.