Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Condiv posted:

i was in this boat earlier this year. i also agree with polyanna, exercise isn't good for pursuing weight-loss. I've injured myself a couple of times trying to exercise myself out of being fat.

for me, what worked was a ketogenic diet + intermittent fasting. cutting out all but 20g of carbs actually helped a lot when it came to finally curbing my sugar cravings. likewise, on the days I am eating i'm not hungry, and I've managed to lose enough weight to be in the normal BMI range for my height for the first time in a decade and a half.

imo, it's best to leave weightloss to diet and exercise cause you want to be healthier in general.

Yeah, my dad's been doing intermittent fasting (i.e. only eat between 12 and 8) and no carbohydrates (i.e. no sugars or starches) and he's in pretty drat good shape for someone in his late fifties. I tried to do keto, but gently caress me, is it hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I do a mix of Paleo\keto where i focus on proteins and vegetables and cut out carbs\sugar. Biggest difficulty was cutting french fries and bread the first couple weeks. I found if you make a big deal\stand about it the first couple times, it becomes easier. As a burger fiend, lettuce wrapped burgers are legit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I FEAR NO PLANK

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

njsykora posted:

I FEAR NO PLANK

Sending you my plank energy

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm doing the Starting Strength routine now. Can I do this on the off day between workouts or is that too much?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think I need to dial down my difficulty just to catch up on planks, mountain climbers and wide squats. They are so much more intense than their easier counterparts.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wide Squats are cake compared to Overhead Squats, the ultimate squat fit for a Squat Master. My current title is like Threefold Squat Master or something lol

Flutter Kicks are hard, Leg Raises are easy the way they are done in the game, Warrior III is the goddamn worst but I keep doing them for some reason, being forced to hold the ring over your head means they work every goddamn muscle in your body and it kinda feels good? Anyway I can’t imagine someone who has never done yoga trying Warrior III for the first time in this game.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm doing the Starting Strength routine now. Can I do this on the off day between workouts or is that too much?

You’re fine as long as you stop at any point you feel sharp pain. You shouldn’t ever get to that point but that does mean stop. I do something close to that and I can pretty easily do a similar routine (5x5) every other day along with an hour of workout time in this game every day.

For those trying to cut weight the right way meaning diet, if you are carb cutting then you’ll find it easier to trick yourself. Eat meat first, then veggies. Give yourself 10 minutes after that to see if you’re full. Make almond bread if you are a bread junkie like me. Cut soda through carbonated water. Try to cut booze. Treat yourself every weekend until you can cut it down. You get massive cravings when you go too long without what your brain wants so it’s best to give it a taste once a week and make it into a routine so that it’s limited.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i squat so much that squats feels good. i've ascended.

edit: that being said, i did a glutes gym where they ended with a chair pose and wowwee.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i squat so much that squats feels good. i've ascended.

edit: that being said, i did a glutes gym where they ended with a chair pose and wowwee.

Of course the put Chair at the end so your glutes are already exhausted, making it ten times harder than it needs to be. Good times.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

World 12 finally started unlocking some of the remaining side quests in the earlier worlds.

"Hey, pssst! That battle gym? Do it with leg moves only."

derra
Dec 29, 2012
*Gets 1000 Squats title to fanfare and confetti*

*Opens up title menu while patting himself on the back*

*THERE'S A 3K SQUAT TROPHY?!?!*

*Dies*

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I'm on day three of ring fit and my quads are now permanently sore. It's funny because I do body squats all the time and thought it wouldn't be a big deal. Doing 48 in the span of 5 minutes in-between jogging in place changed my mind real quick.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I read the book and I'm pretty sure it says that if you don't take days off your development will be slowed. It's probably not a big deal depending on how serious you are about becoming swole as fast as possible.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 27, 2019

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought that leg raises and flurry kicks and stuff were easy but doing chapter 8 (9? The Solar Plexia one) and mostly using yellow exercises killed me last night. My lower abs are very sore today. It turns out doing a bunch of them all in a row makes it way tougher! Who knew?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

RVWinkle posted:

I'm on day three of ring fit and my quads are now permanently sore. It's funny because I do body squats all the time and thought it wouldn't be a big deal. Doing 48 in the span of 5 minutes in-between jogging in place changed my mind real quick.

I read the book and I'm pretty sure it says that if you don't take days off your development will be slowed. It's probably not a big deal depending on how serious you are about becoming swole as fast as possible.

With exercises in this game it’s probably a good idea to take breaks (like a day every week) the first month or two if you don’t exercise. After that, nothing in the game is stressful enough to need a break. If you exercise already, then you should be fine doing this every day. If you feel terrible and the game hasn’t said to quit yet (15 min of workout time) then you need to lower the level and take breaks between sets or even reps. You’re not punished if you take your time. You are punished if you rush your exercise. The game is nice for a reason. Form matters over all.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I'm still trying to figure out my routine for this, first I thought I was just gonna do it every day for 20 minutes of active time which was a dumb idea, so I went with 5 days on 2 off which is still leaving me exhausted. Might just go for every other day instead.

When I went to the gym I did 5 days on 2 days off alternating between cardio and weights, but for some reason I can't do 5 days of this in a row without becoming just exhausted.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Yeah I'm not too worried about doing aerobic workouts daily. I was responding to someone who is starting an anaerobic workout. You want to take days off if you're doing an intense weight training program like Starting Strength.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Some of this advice depends on numerical level you are doing it in too. I do it at 27, my coworker does it at 14. Very different experiences even though we both regularly exercise.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Actually I don't think I'm exercising too much, I'm just sleeping like poo poo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Crossposting from the Switch thread:

Apparently Ring Fit Adventure is so popular in Japan that it’s selling out in retail stores and Nintendo is scrambling to ship more units.

I haven’t seen any US sales figures yet, but I imagine it’s going to be a popular gift this season.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2019/1129.html

It’s in Japanese but it’s an apology for stock shortages and a promise to ship more units before the end of the year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Anyone know what the update today was for?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

njsykora posted:

Anyone know what the update today was for?

Patch notes posted:

General
Several issues have been addressed to improve the game play experience.

:shrug:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Fixed: Tipp no longer skips a day because of DOMS

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

SardonicTyrant posted:

Fixed: Tipp no longer skips a day because of DOMS

Fixed: Increased the frequency of the Ringcon saying your sweat is so shiny and beautiful

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

robot roll call posted:

Fixed: Increased the frequency of the Ringcon saying your sweat is so shiny and beautiful

Fixed: Ring’s cadence no longer gets all weird when you make smoothies

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Just got home with the game. Calibrating. It seems to have stalled at the "Place the Ring - Con on a flat surface" instruction. Anyone have a similar issue?

E: In case anyone has the same issue, I had to recalibrate the cons themselves from system menu. Not from within the game.

Throne of Bhalz fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 1, 2019

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Think the same thing happened to me, had to close the game and relaunch it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

How much room do you actually need for the exercises that require you to lay down on the floor? I'm not sure there's enough space in my room, but I might be fine if you're mostly just laying down and don't need that much space around you.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Still really enjoying this game, more so now that it becomes miserably cold outside and I can work up a sweat indoors. There are a couple things that bug me although idk if it’s because I’ve been doing the targeted workouts instead of progressing (gently caress the Boat Pose). I’m only level 37 on the Four Masters world at the moment.

first, is there any way to elect to finish an exercise even if you beat a monster? I love bow pull but half the time it kills monsters on the left side and then I never get to switch to the right. I suppose I could just... keep going until I finish, but then I don’t get video game credit!

Second, do the exercises ever upgrade? I love some of the earlier arm exercises but their damage sucks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Elman posted:

How much room do you actually need for the exercises that require you to lay down on the floor? I'm not sure there's enough space in my room, but I might be fine if you're mostly just laying down and don't need that much space around you.

Lay down on your floor and you have the answer. Do a push-up if you want to get fancy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You’ll need room to raise and lower your legs for some of them, or move them side to side, so make sure you aren’t kicking a table or something. I had that issue.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Prop Wash posted:

Still really enjoying this game, more so now that it becomes miserably cold outside and I can work up a sweat indoors. There are a couple things that bug me although idk if it’s because I’ve been doing the targeted workouts instead of progressing (gently caress the Boat Pose). I’m only level 37 on the Four Masters world at the moment.

first, is there any way to elect to finish an exercise even if you beat a monster? I love bow pull but half the time it kills monsters on the left side and then I never get to switch to the right. I suppose I could just... keep going until I finish, but then I don’t get video game credit!

Second, do the exercises ever upgrade? I love some of the earlier arm exercises but their damage sucks.

No, there's no option to finish your set when you kill all your targets. It's frustrating because for sets where you switch sides the game always starts with the same side.

Starting at level 65 you'll discover a way to get stronger versions of early exercises.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Boat pose seems to take up the most room, basically lying down with your legs and arms mostly stretched out. Don't have to see the TV for it (I rotate 90° and do them perpendicular due to my room arrangements).

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I took a break from this for a week due to the holidays and such, and coming back directly into the Four Masters dragon fight with the like fifty squat jump pads and oh my God my legs have been sore since last night.

It's good to be going again but man that was the wrong place to stop

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh god, the hubris! I upped the difficulty level on the same day that I acquired the planking exercise.

Prop Wash posted:

I sure hope so. The first couple of days was all about the squats and now that I have an exercise that does twice the damage I don't do any squats.

Empty quoting because I feel like you got my back.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahah, oh friend. You will have more squats than you can imagine. Soon, soon.

I'm up to World 9 now, close to the last Power. So that's good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RVWinkle posted:

Oh god, the hubris! I upped the difficulty level on the same day that I acquired the planking exercise.

Been starting to decrease my difficulty solely to get to the point where I can actually finish it in one set.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hahah, oh friend. You will have more squats than you can imagine. Soon, soon.

I'm up to World 9 now, close to the last Power. So that's good.
The last power comes at world 12.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, what's the last one after the uhh, jumps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Manuel Calavera posted:

Oh, what's the last one after the uhh, jumps?

Going off the trailers I'm gonna say it's flight. Press me into your abs to fly!