Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

deoju posted:

I seriously wonder what that clock room smells like. There's gotta be a big rear end motor to generate all that torque 24/7, and those gears and shafts must need grease.

The hands only have to move one sixtieth of an RPM, they’re not that heavy, and their weight can be counterbalanced.

The Great Clock at the Houses of Parliament (“Big Ben”) is still wound by hand. It takes one person twenty minutes thrice a week with a hand crank. It could be run with less than one watt of continuous power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Platystemon posted:

The hands only have to move one sixtieth of an RPM, they’re not that heavy, and their weight can be counterbalanced.

The Great Clock at the Houses of Parliament (“Big Ben”) is still wound by hand. It takes one person twenty minutes thrice a week with a hand crank. It could be run with less than one watt of continuous power.

Toil and suffering are the lifeblood of empires, living and dead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
An electric winder was used for a while, but someone still had to climb three hundred stairs and operate it. It stopped the clock and broke some parts and was more trouble than it was worth, so it’s been dispensed with.

Striking the bells takes far more energy than swinging the pendulum and moving the hands. That part does use an electric winder, but once again it’s manually operated. It doesn’t automatically kick in when the weight runs low.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Platystemon posted:

An electric winder was used for a while, but someone still had to climb three hundred stairs and operate it. It stopped the clock and broke some parts and was more trouble than it was worth, so it’s been dispensed with.

well it was about time

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Quick Followup:

According to the internet, those are 2x 300W halogen floodlights. So there's 600W sitting on an old dimmer. Pointed at the wall.

And the thing I thought was a ballast in the basement? An old 120V > 12V power converter, probably for a shop light.

In some ways not as crazy as I feared.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I despise ceiling spots.

I wear glasses, and those tiny, super bright lights always reflect off my rims and annoy the hell out of me. Some even cause spots if they reflect brightly enough.

Give me a nice, large diffuse light source, like a fake skylight:

(for the tiny sum of just $40,000)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revwinnebago posted:

Quick Followup:

According to the internet, those are 2x 300W halogen floodlights. So there's 600W sitting on an old dimmer. Pointed at the wall.

And the thing I thought was a ballast in the basement? An old 120V > 12V power converter, probably for a shop light.

In some ways not as crazy as I feared.

At 600W your dimmer is not likely "overheating badly". You probably have just never felt a dimmer with any real load on it.

Pull the plate and make sure it's a 600 or 1000 watt dimmer. If it is, that's just how a loaded dimmer feels.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Motronic posted:

At 600W your dimmer is not likely "overheating badly". You probably have just never felt a dimmer with any real load on it.

Pull the plate and make sure it's a 600 or 1000 watt dimmer. If it is, that's just how a loaded dimmer feels.

To be really sure, give it the lick test.

for the love of god don't actually do that

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I despise ceiling spots.

I wear glasses, and those tiny, super bright lights always reflect off my rims and annoy the hell out of me. Some even cause spots if they reflect brightly enough.

Saw this video a few months ago on converting busted old TVs and PC monitors into something sort of like that-- although, probably not as nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JrqH2oOTK4

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I despise ceiling spots.

I got excited in that moment between seeing the idea and seeing the price tag

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

On the subject of large diffused light sources, i need a few ceiling lights for my apartment but Home Depot is failing me.

I’m looking for one larger light and two or three smaller ones, ideally matching styles. Simpler is better, I’d be happy with just a big soft round light so it’s as diffused as possible.

This one would be good at 2’ across: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XSDY5P6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A4Z3DbNK0PQ0P

Are LEDs a good idea in a light like that? I’ve never had anything like it and I’m afraid I’d just lose the remote.

I don’t really shop for ceiling lights much so I’m kind of at a loss. Anyone have any suggestions for something like that? I’m open to buying online or buying in nyc.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

These huge disc lights are hella standard here in Japan. The LEDs are bright and good and the remote means you can dim and/or adjust brightness.

We keep all our remotes for lights and the ac in one drawer in our dining room.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bongo Bill posted:

why is that Exit sign not above the exit

It's not a sign. It's a case containing a revolver and one bullet.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Snowy posted:

On the subject of large diffused light sources, i need a few ceiling lights for my apartment but Home Depot is failing me.

I’m looking for one larger light and two or three smaller ones, ideally matching styles. Simpler is better, I’d be happy with just a big soft round light so it’s as diffused as possible.

This one would be good at 2’ across: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XSDY5P6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A4Z3DbNK0PQ0P

Are LEDs a good idea in a light like that? I’ve never had anything like it and I’m afraid I’d just lose the remote.

I don’t really shop for ceiling lights much so I’m kind of at a loss. Anyone have any suggestions for something like that? I’m open to buying online or buying in nyc.

Shockingly Ikea has a decent selection of flat panel LED ceiling lights. I have this in my office and it works great.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

For some reason I want to watch chitty chitty bang bang again...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Thread's getting slow so it's time to go back to one of my favorite subjects - Otherwise normal houses that look like a drag queen's closet on the inside.

Normal house...

Purple Rain

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

there wolf posted:

Thread's getting slow so it's time to go back to one of my favorite subjects - Otherwise normal houses that look like a drag queen's closet on the inside.

Normal house...

Purple Rain

ngl I kinda love this
I wouldn't want to actually live there but I would rent it for a night or two
this house is committed to its color choice

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I wonder if your color perception is off after you leave that house after staying a while.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

I wonder if your color perception is off after you leave that house after staying a while.

The occupants got desensitized to purple and so they had to keep adding more purple

Quite the feedback loop

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Aside from the carpeted bathtub and kitchen, with additional invisible tripping rugs, that's a cool Saints Row crib.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Augh my eyes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

there wolf posted:

Normal house...

Purple Rain

SAINTS ROW BITCHES

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

There's a hotel in Roxbury, NY with themed rooms. We stayed there once on a weekend getaway, and landed in the "Wizard's Emeralds" room, an Emerald City-themed suite where pretty much everything is green but a yellow brick road going down the middle of it. That definitely messed with my color perception after a fairly short amount of time, and going outside took a few seconds to recalibrate to seeing non-green colors.

https://theroxburyexperience.com/room/the-wizards-emeralds/ - there's quite a few rooms on there that should probably be posted in here.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Some fugly kitchens from Imgur:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

there wolf posted:

Normal house...

Its landscaping is bad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

After the fire

During the fire

Gingerbread house

Just the saddest kitchen.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Oh noooo they put the laundry in the kitchen

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

Normal house...

Purple Rain

NO ONE MAN SHOULD HAVE ALL THAT POWER

CLOCKS TICKING NOW JUST COUNT THE HOURS

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

With this advanced dazzle camouflage, those German dreadnaughts will have a harder time sighting us in!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

Oh noooo they put the laundry in the kitchen

That and a couple of the others is a Russian/Soviet era apartment flat none of which ever have room enough for laundry appliances or large tank water heaters or the like. When I lived in Ukraine in 04-06 a washing machine was still very much a luxury item.

They always had amazing furniture that converted into really lovely beds, though. It was amazing. Lots of families slept in their living rooms but all their couches and arm chairs unfolded into beds.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

BlackIronHeart posted:

With this advanced dazzle camouflage, those German dreadnaughts will have a harder time sighting us in!

I don't think I've ever been more disoriented by a photo in my life. I always wondered how dazzle camouflage worked. Now I know.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I don't think I've ever been more disoriented by a photo in my life.

Someone post the semi-Euclidean bathroom TIA.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That purple house looked a lot less intrusive last night when Flux was in full flow.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I know it's been said before but that purple house gives off a powerful Saints Row vibe

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Someone post the semi-Euclidean bathroom TIA.

You’re going to have to be more specific.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BlackIronHeart posted:

If you move your eyes and head too fast, you get a photosensitive epilepsy effect

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wait what

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
All I know is, if I bought that house, I would never, ever, ever change that. If I remodeled the entire house, like tear down to studs, that alone would remain.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

All I know is, if I bought that house, I would never, ever, ever change that. If I remodeled the entire house, like tear down to studs, that alone would remain.

I would put googly eye stickers on it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just the saddest kitchen.

Beyond sad, that quarter-wall to the right of the stove is also pointless. I get the one behind, you need a place to put the gas and electrical lines. But that one on the right serces no purpose but to get in the way or larger pots/pot handles, and collect grease.