Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
well it does, as long as you're ironically pronouncing it "lih-burr-ACE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is pronouncing cinderace incorrectly something thats just flying over my head

I've never heard it any other way until just now because the Ace in it's name is assumed to be because it's a star player in sports or whatever.

E: Did anyone use Copperajah or it's little baby form I can't recall the name of? I didn't find one till post game and I see a lot of people saying the same. It, Stonjourner and Penguin Icecube are the three that I always hear get overlooked.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 3, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Okay if I'm gonna be doing donuts in this lady's lawn, I NEED a better bike outfit. How do I change it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Macaluso posted:

Okay if I'm gonna be doing donuts in this lady's lawn, I NEED a better bike outfit. How do I change it

Find a watt trader, and he'll change it based on your lead.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

iospace posted:

Find a watt trader, and he'll change it based on your lead.

Alright I did this... what a disappointment. Going fairy colors does not give me the slick pink and possibly light blue of the fairy gym. It gives me a fairy bike outfit that looks like someone dragged it through mud.

What horrible godless piece of poo poo on the dev team allowed this fashion travesty that is the bike outfit to get through testing

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Macaluso posted:

Just go on twitter and look up "foreign ditto". There's always a Japanese player wanting to trade. That's how I got mine. That 4448 or whatever unofficial ditto trading code is worthless. They don't seem to care about natures at all, only that you're trading a ditto with the same amount of perfect IVs as they are

Also it's illegal to reply to this post with "I don't have a twitter" or "i don't use twitter" or whatever dumb bullshit like that

Nah, I have a Twitter.

Thanks!

Should I try to get Dittos with and without the Hidden Ability? Or just always go with the Hidden Ability one?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nanigans posted:

Nah, I have a Twitter.

Thanks!

Should I try to get Dittos with and without the Hidden Ability? Or just always go with the Hidden Ability one?

If you’re ditto collecting for breeding purposes the ability means nothing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is pronouncing cinderace incorrectly something thats just flying over my head

I've never heard it any other way until just now because the Ace in it's name is assumed to be because it's a star player in sports or whatever.

That has been my assumption as well. I can't even see how the "rah-chay" pronunciation makes sense thematically when the only famous Liberace I can find is a musician.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you’re ditto collecting for breeding purposes the ability means nothing.

Ohh, right. I think I remember that if a Ditto is a parent, the baby can only get the hidden ability if the other parent has it.

Time to start resetting for those 5 star Dittos.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are there any dens with high chances for Applin/Appletun? I want one with its HA.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: Did anyone use Copperajah or it's little baby form I can't recall the name of? I didn't find one till post game and I see a lot of people saying the same. It, Stonjourner and Penguin Icecube are the three that I always hear get overlooked.

I caught Cufant in the wild area and used Copperajah throughout the whole game - it's an absolute beast.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 3, 2019

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Deified Data posted:

Are there any dens with high chances for Applin/Appletun? I want one with its HA.

Check the Pokégoons discord trade channel.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Last night I was wonder trading Feebases (Feebi?) and got a 4IV Japanese Ditto, which then replaced my domestic one at the nursery. Holy moly, this thing is a sex machine. They were poppin eggs like every thirty seconds.

Also, question: Can you catch monsters from the opposite version by joining raids? I saw someone hosting one for that Menhir dude (I have Shield) but wasn't able to join in time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pentaro posted:

Last night I was wonder trading Feebases (Feebi?) and got a 4IV Japanese Ditto, which then replaced my domestic one at the nursery. Holy moly, this thing is a sex machine. They were poppin eggs like every thirty seconds.

Also, question: Can you catch monsters from the opposite version by joining raids? I saw someone hosting one for that Menhir dude (I have Shield) but wasn't able to join in time.
You can, yeah, it's the only nontrade way to get version exclusives.

(different OT different species [i.e. Ditto] is like 60% to make an egg every 255 steps or something insane, the egg rates are higher because steps are so much smaller in this game)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Once every like 50 eggs, I'll hatch a Toxel that has a NO GOOD in its attack slot. Every other time it's VERY GOOD, FANTASTIC or BEST. If my shiny finally pops up and it has a no good stat, I swear to god Gamefreak :argh:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

man. that our dude straps on biking spandex and a full rear end helmet with chin strap every time he gets on the bike is like, how this franchise has evolved summed up in one detail

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Mandrel posted:

man. that our dude straps on biking spandex and a full rear end helmet with chin strap every time he gets on the bike is like, how this franchise has evolved summed up in one detail

That the franchise is being too safe? :v:

I hate the biking outfit so much, Gamefreak are such trolling developers. Oh, let's have extensive trainer outfit customization and then throw that out the window and make you wear a goofy clown vomit outfit since you're probably going to be using your bike 90% of the time once you get it. :troll:

Speaking of outfits, does the male trainer ever get access to bags that aren't so stupidly huge?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Alright, noob question. I have a 5 IV Frosslas that I like a lot, even has the desired nature, but it doesn't have its hidden ability. There is no way for me to get the hidden ability on this Frosslas, right? I would need to breed for one?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Alright, noob question. I have a 5 IV Frosslas that I like a lot, even has the desired nature, but it doesn't have its hidden ability. There is no way for me to get the hidden ability on this Frosslas, right? I would need to breed for one?

Sadly, yes. There's no way to put a hidden ability on her.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Macaluso posted:

Once every like 50 eggs, I'll hatch a Toxel that has a NO GOOD in its attack slot. Every other time it's VERY GOOD, FANTASTIC or BEST. If my shiny finally pops up and it has a no good stat, I swear to god Gamefreak :argh:

Shove candy down its throat, then bottle cap?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Mmm I want to make a doubles team based around Coalossal with weakness policy and steam engine. He has some pretty great special moves to make him timid to max his speed. Just need to find a special-weak and fast mon with surf to trigger him.

You guys said that the Gigamax can't be used in competition right? If that is the case I will try to stop hunting for one, the spawn rate itself makes me want to set myself on fire and if I can skip it I will.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

What horrible godless piece of poo poo on the dev team allowed this fashion travesty that is the bike outfit to get through testing

Return to your honest labor, friend. I will prepare the twitter callout thread. We will set things right.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
All the more reason why the skates in XY were superior

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

is Kommo-o viable for much? I bred a box full up to surprise trade and got on with 5 perfect IVs

the stats are good and the type seems interesting enough to be useful but it's never discussed anywhere so I've assumed it gets a bad moveset or something

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

I don't think Gamefreak would bother buffing Onix when Steelix exists and is approximately fine statwise.

Onix just needs like +20-30 attack stats so you can use it in game

Although ideally Onix would have like 80 base attack and Steelix would have 100.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

Mmm I want to make a doubles team based around Coalossal with weakness policy and steam engine. He has some pretty great special moves to make him timid to max his speed. Just need to find a special-weak and fast mon with surf to trigger him.

You guys said that the Gigamax can't be used in competition right? If that is the case I will try to stop hunting for one, the spawn rate itself makes me want to set myself on fire and if I can skip it I will.

Barraskewda!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Framboise posted:

Regarding Onix, is there a valid use for it if you equip it with Eviolite? There don't seem to be too many Pokemon this gen that can abuse it otherwise.

It IS an absolute beast in Little Cup, but Berry Juice is usually the more broken item than Eviolite there.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nessa posted:

I really wish Galarian Corsola was Rock/Ghost instead of just Ghost. We don’t have a Rock/Ghost yet and even dead coral is still a mineral.

Galarian Corsola, Runerigus, and Stonejouner could have all been Rock/Ghost but we continue to be denied.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

any quibbles and controversies pale in comparison to the fact that coalossal isn't a train

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Epic High Five posted:

any quibbles and controversies pale in comparison to the fact that coalossal isn't a train

Agreed

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Beat the champion last night. Right now I'm feeling like this is the worst game in the series since Diamond/Pearl. The game feels so low effort, especially when you get to the final town and instead of an animation of your character going into the tube and being transported to the other area, the screen just goes dark for like 5-10 seconds. They don't even animate you stepping out of the elevator. It's loving pathetic. There are so many "cut corners" moments like this throughout the game, once you get past the 3rd or 4th gym. Oh, and you beat the Champion and there is absolutely zero fanfare. No registration of your championship team, no trophy ceremony (isn't this supposed to be a game about SPORTS??), no epilogue with the professor or whatever. Just a lovely little looping clip of 3 Pokémon doing their generic attack animations in the formation of a band.

As other posters pointed out, the "plot" was absolutely anemic and they would've been far better off sticking to a sports-centric story. A simple corruption scheme would've made so much more sense, rather than the barebones "ancient hero/evil" plot they tossed in. The fact that you don't even get to participate in any of the side quests/dungeons is pathetic. That's really the word I keep using to describe most of the aspects of this game: pathetic. Despite the quality-of-life stuff they added, this game feels like a huge step down from Gens. 6 & 7. I almost wish I hadn't even bothered with this game– the disappointment from the low-effort story mode has sapped any interest I had in completing my Pokédex and getting into competitive breeding & battling.

Nintendo need to get GameFreak off of this crazy schedule they're on, and let them spend more time working on the individual games. Hell, now that we're on a real console, just make one great game and support it with regional expansion DLC! Or additional Battle Towers, or whatever. This poo poo is getting old.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Someone asked something like this a few pages back but I'd like a second opinion:

Is there any good resource (perferrably text) for people looking to start PvP / competitive for the first time beyond "watch streamers / YouTube"? Preferably something that goes beyond "max IVs and EVs that match the attacks you're using are good" but breaks it down like I'm seven years old. Some sort of primer like "here's what to expect and what common meta looks like and what you can do about it"? All the articles that I can find on Smogon look like they assume a baseline knowledge.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Borsche69 posted:

Galarian Corsola, Runerigus, and Stonejouner could have all been Rock/Ghost but we continue to be denied.

So they made a regional form of a Pokémon and didn't bother changing its type? Cool. What is the point? loving morons.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Truly the greatest missed opportunity in a long train of missed opportunities.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

wafflemoose posted:

That the franchise is being too safe? :v:

I hate the biking outfit so much, Gamefreak are such trolling developers. Oh, let's have extensive trainer outfit customization and then throw that out the window and make you wear a goofy clown vomit outfit since you're probably going to be using your bike 90% of the time once you get it. :troll:

Speaking of outfits, does the male trainer ever get access to bags that aren't so stupidly huge?

basically

i feel like old man yelling at cloud but Hop drives me loving insane. what happened to the good old days when your rival was a complete rear end in a top hat who had no time for you other than to occasionally gank you when you’re worn out from tough areas and insult your tiny dick

this dude is patiently waiting for me every 100 feet and heals my pokemon up just so i can kick his same three pokemon’s teeth in for the 50th time. whats all this bullshit about “Our” Pokemon adventure. i don’t know you dude, gently caress off. go have your own Pokemon adventure and leave me out of it. everyone in these games now is so emotionally codependent. at least i respected Blue

Edit: he even picks the starter that’s WEAK to yours. what kind of cucked poo poo is that

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

its drat ability is literally about having a steam engine!!!!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Chill Penguin posted:

So they made a regional form of a Pokémon and didn't bother changing its type? Cool. What is the point? loving morons.

They did change the type though, for all of them. Chill Penguin not being very chill.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mandrel posted:

basically

i feel like old man yelling at cloud but Hop drives me loving insane. what happened to the good old days when your rival was a complete rear end in a top hat who had no time for you other than to occasionally gank you when you’re worn out from tough areas and insult your tiny dick

this dude is patiently waiting for me every 100 feet and heals my pokemon up just so i can kick his same three pokemon’s teeth in for the 50th time. whats all this bullshit about “Our” Pokemon adventure. i don’t know you dude, gently caress off. go have your own Pokemon adventure and leave me out of it. everyone in these games now is so emotionally codependent. at least i respected Blue

as a Shield haver, this is annoying but does make the final battle with him - when he's given up any hope of ever beating you - even more funny when his Zacian runs a brutal train over your entire team and your legendary

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Chill Penguin posted:

They did? Galaran Yamask and Runegrigus are Ground/Ghost while regular Yamask and Cofagrigus are just Ghost type

And of course Corsola went from Rock/Water to pure Ghost

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

ROFL Octopus posted:

They did change the type though, for all of them. Chill Penguin not being very chill.

Oh, my bad, I always though Yamask/Cofagrigus was Ground/Ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Chill Penguin posted:

Oh, and you beat the Champion and there is absolutely zero fanfare. No registration of your championship team, no trophy ceremony (isn't this supposed to be a game about SPORTS??), no epilogue with the professor or whatever.
Restart the game and chill at the title screen for a bit :ssh:

(it's not great but it's there)