Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

wolrah posted:

Exactly. Grabbing this from the Payday 2 thread:

If a game requires coordination between team members to succeed but can easily go wrong due to one person screwing up (intentionally or not), playing with random pubbies is generally a bad idea. Play with friends, or at the least play with an organized group of internet people rather than letting RNGesus put you with whoever.

Honestly, a better comparison would be eating Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans from the HP universe. Ostensibly you could get something good, but you could just as easily get something terrible or what the gently caress even is this.

e. also, over time, as people get more and more bad experiences with the randomness, they stop engaging in that pool so the randomness tends to shift universally to the negative. Conversely, someone could have always had good results with only a couple neutral or bad results, so they still participate.

Or the design of the game tends to drive away the griefers if they can't effectively grief. Warframe is a fairly good example for this (assuming you're not doing hack objectives, anyway), as the most you can do is afk and player power level is generally high. Back when I was still playing, I did random missions all the loving time and it was universally pleasant. At least when I wasn't doing tridolons, anyway; had some people who lied about their prior experience. (one can check another players stats for this easily from ingame)

e2. just noticed I was in the subnautica thread. had to double check the post I quoted was actually from this thread, too. ah what the hell

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

CyberLord XP posted:

Has there been any movement in mods getting fixed? I've been trying to roll back my copy of Subnautica but downloading the files for it keeps being super slow.

I mean, most games that are unfriendly to mods like this one require the author to update and compile their stuff to the newest version.

So yeah, rolling back will be the best option.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Most of the key mods like Easy Craft and Autosort Lockers seem to work fine, it just requires reinstalling QMod after the update.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

DropsySufferer posted:

SS13 proves if there is a way to blow something up players will choose that option.

Amen, I would grab the first fire extinguisher I saw and hunted other players down ruthlessly.

One time I stole the gun that deconstructs walls and a jetpack. Went to Zeta, opened all the flammable gas tanks, flooded the whole zeta with gas, and then when escaping with the deconstruct tool I didn't know made sparks, set the entire zeta on fire.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I just remember making max power TTV bombs, hiding them in Mail Chutes (They fit, and no-one ever uses mail on goon) and setting them all off at once with a remote detonator.

Crashed the server, forced the devs to further cap explosion size, got banned, evaded the ban, did their Vox voices, got made half-min in response.

Good times!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Any shenanigans that force the devs to rebuild seemingly innocuous mechanics are good shenanigans (see, Honk Honk Butt).

Back when Elite: Dangerous was a bigger thing, the goon organization decided to hold a special event subbed the Palladium Cloud - rich players who had more money than they could reasonably use would load big cargo vessels up with palladium, a highly valuable trade commodity, travel to a predetermined drop point, and dump it all. Attendees were invited to freely scoop up the abandoned cargo to sell it for money - Elite doesn't have a credit transfer mechanic, so this was the best way of moving wealth from one player to the next. People got excited and dozens of more philantropic players joined in, donating palladium, good, narcotics and other more expensive commodities to the event, some hauled in bulk from several hundreds of light years away.

Thing is, some of those larger cargo ships could easily hold up to 500+ tons of cargo - cargo that's automatically stored in 1-ton pods. Each one of those cargo pods was a separate physics object, and the game servers were quickly overwhelmed trying to handle them all, free-floating and bouncing off each other. This triggered a bug where a player would pick a pod up and the cargo would be added to their inventory, but the pod would still be left floating around in space, ready for somebody else to pick it up. Sometimes pods that had been picked up hours ago would just pop back to life in the middle of the cloud. Some players went a step further and just jettisoned the cargo they'd picked up to duplicate it like this, effectively making it self-perpetuating. The cloud ended up hanging around near one of the more popular goon-held space stations for the better part of the week, lagging servers, confusing sensors, attracting onlookers and generally being a navigational hazard.

Goon-hating pubbie organizations, meanwhile, had dismissed the whole thing as an attempt to lure players into the open to be griefed by the goon armada. This made them extra salty when they figured out it wasn't a grief and they'd talked themselves out of making millions of credits in a few hours.

The devs ended up making a hard cap on floating cargo, where a single area instance would hold about fifty floating objects at one time and when a new one was created, the oldest would be de-spawned to make room - but not before aspiring goons used the same principle to bomb the docking bays of several anti-goon org home bases with self-perpetuating clouds of floating fish and bio-waste..

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 26, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:allears: Glad to see that game wasn’t a total waste.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

There needs to be a coffee book with all the crazy antics goons have done in videogames.
I remember in Vanilla WoW when they locked down Alliance flightpaths by training their NPCs into horde-controlled zones, held them there for a few hours, and demanded ransom on the forums.
It took a GM command-killing the flight-masters so they would respawn and restore travel back to the entire western continent.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Tetrabor posted:

There needs to be a coffee book with all the crazy antics goons have done in videogames.
I remember in Vanilla WoW when they locked down Alliance flightpaths by training their NPCs into horde-controlled zones, held them there for a few hours, and demanded ransom on the forums.
It took a GM command-killing the flight-masters so they would respawn and restore travel back to the entire western continent.

Lmao how was that even possible

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

TK-42-1 posted:

Lmao how was that even possible

Mal'Ganis goons set up small parties that went into alliance zones & outposts. Back then, there was no rubberbanding for most NPCs (and world-bosses) so a warrior would continuously taunt/chip the Flight Master while a Priest sporadically topped off the warrior's health. One of the groups made an hourish journey into the Barrens with a Flight Master and held them in one of the random huts while they demanded ransom. Absolutely mundane for the taunting parties, but the Alliance started complaining on the forums because they couldn't cross from the northern to the southern half of Kalmindor unless they rode their mounts through or used ships.

The next major patch they applied the rubberband effect to every essential NPC so it couldn't be replicated.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I didn't play, But I remember hearing that people had fun kiting end game raid bosses into player hubs too. Pretty sure thats the same thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1shA5CNtOg

Lets just.... let people want a terrible terrible demon across a continent and watch everyone die, respawn, and die again.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TheParadigm posted:

I didn't play, But I remember hearing that people had fun kiting end game raid bosses into player hubs too. Pretty sure thats the same thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1shA5CNtOg

Lets just.... let people want a terrible terrible demon across a continent and watch everyone die, respawn, and die again.

I've absolutely done that before. Pisses off the GMs something fierce because they don't know who did it. We'd just do it over and over.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tetrabor posted:

I did that to the horde in the alliance goon squad, kiting the flightmaster from orgrimmar to the bottom of the lake in mount hyjal(it is...very deep), had a friend go cross faction as a barker to demand 5000g as payment for his return, kept that up for a few hours, then an admin appeared next to us, killed the flight master, and disappeared. party pooper. good to know the horde side had similar thoughts

Tetrabor posted:

Back then, there was no rubberbanding for most NPCs (and world-bosses)
this specific classic Kazzak kiting video that supposedly used to be shown to WoW GMs in training

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LyIOigL7Gg&hd=1

everything about Kazzak was perfectly designed for just this specific thing: he is a world raid boss with a shitload of health and an enrage timer where when he hits it he starts shooting out massively damaging flaming skulls that home in on everyone nearby, likely killing them, and healing him. and he had no leash point, so you could drag him wherever, which of course meant he made frequent trips to stormwind. his enrage healing meant he was literally unkillable due to the endless stream of rubberneckers running into range of it and getting instagibbed by the flaming skulls. most of the other world raid bosses would eventually be brought down when kited to town, but he had endless healing to keep his shenanigans going until an admin stepped in.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I remember the Infernal Bombs of yore.

To be specific, one of the warlock summons is an Infernal, this immensely powerful demonic golem made out of brimstone and hellfire. Thing is, they're notoriously unstable and a warlock could only keep it bound for a time - after which it would break free of its bindings and go out on a rampage that would only end when it was killed.

Theoretically, this meant you had a powerful summon that was always a risk to use - ideally whatever you summoned it up against would just barely kill it before you finished the target off, or you might end up having to fight both the boss and the Infernal.

In practice, this meant people would summon one in the middle of a populated city, order it to stay put, and just wait at a safe distance until it broke free and proceeded to mow its way through the unsuspecting populace. Bonus points if you summoned it somewhere out of the way so the first thing people would see was this giant flaming rock hulk smashing its way out of a random NPC's home and turning somebody's bank alt into pink mist.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

With the new Below Zero update, does anyone know how complete the main storyline is at this point?

I’ve gotten to the part where I’ve repaired the comm tower and contacted the space station. I was given a supply drop containing the blueprints for all three depth modules for the Seatruck, as well as hints I should investigate a signal in the glacier zone. However, there doesn’t seem to be a way to actually build the depth modules since they apparently removed the moon pool fragments from the game and there’s no other room that can hold the upgrade console.
Am I missing something?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I don't know. I still can't find the ship scrap to do the repair. I found a big ol' wreck east of the island which seems to be the place I should look but there's no scrap inside or around the big rear end crashed ship (the Degasi, I assume). There's a couple doors I can't get in because I can't find any scraps of the cutting torch though. Am I on the right track?

Also it's vaguely worrying that they're changing the story and that the writer quit/got fired midway through production. I tried BZ when it was first greenlit and really liked the plot then, and although it only went as far as discovering the AI at that point, I really liked it, especially the interplay between the two leads. In the current version that seems scrapped and you just wake up and get rushed out the door instead of being able to explore the base, which is kinda lame imo.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I don't know. I still can't find the ship scrap to do the repair. I found a big ol' wreck east of the island which seems to be the place I should look but there's no scrap inside or around the big rear end crashed ship (the Degasi, I assume). There's a couple doors I can't get in because I can't find any scraps of the cutting torch though. Am I on the right track?

Yes.

There’s a huge crashed ship
near the border between the purple vents biome and the lily pad islands. It looks like it’s broken into several sections, but you’re looking for the aft section with the engines. There’s an opening in the side where you can swim inside. You need the laser cutter to get into the engine room and to cut open a panel on one of the engines, the ship part you need is behind it.

I found all three parts of the laser cutter blueprint around the area with the purple vents, but there’s a Chelicerate roaming the area that can complicate things.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just got a new computer a week or so ago, and Subnautica was the first game I barreled through because I could finally play it on a non potato machine.
Found a good spot for a base near the Sea Treaders Lost River entrance this time.
Normally I just set up by the entrance to the Jelly Shrooms.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

With the new Below Zero update, does anyone know how complete the main storyline is at this point?

I’ve gotten to the part where I’ve repaired the comm tower and contacted the space station. I was given a supply drop containing the blueprints for all three depth modules for the Seatruck, as well as hints I should investigate a signal in the glacier zone. However, there doesn’t seem to be a way to actually build the depth modules since they apparently removed the moon pool fragments from the game and there’s no other room that can hold the upgrade console.
Am I missing something?

Depth Module isn't built in the moonpool, it's built in the truck's own fabricator module. If I remember correctly I believe fab module fragments are in deep twisty bridges, or purple vent zone. If you haven't found them in purple vents you may have to get them from deep twisty, which does require some free-diving and dodging some hostile fauna. I've done that dive a few times now so I usually just go down there quick out of habit, but it's a bit harrowing if you've never been down there before.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Perpetual posted:

Depth Module isn't built in the moonpool, it's built in the truck's own fabricator module. If I remember correctly I believe fab module fragments are in deep twisty bridges, or purple vent zone. If you haven't found them in purple vents you may have to get them from deep twisty, which does require some free-diving and dodging some hostile fauna. I've done that dive a few times now so I usually just go down there quick out of habit, but it's a bit harrowing if you've never been down there before.

Yeah, I did find that out eventually. I found all three of the fabricator blueprints in the deep twisty bridges. The squidsharks can be a bit troublesome, but I'd rather dodge them than the Chelicerate and the new horrific dinosaur-like things in the purple vent zone that scream all the loving time. :stonk:

Presently I'm relocating my base from the shallow twisty bridges to the lilypad islands, ~200m deep right next to the floating rock that holds Research Station Omega. It's got a bunch of squidsharks, but there seems to be lots of resources nearby as well. Since there's no Moonpool, building a power cell charger was necessary.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I've been doing my best to avoid spoilers with this game. Unfortunately it seems like the entire loving internet is scared of "the reaper" and wants to tell me about it. Great, so now I'm terrified of a messed up shark thing. Problem is, I don't know where this reaper is, so every single excursion into new territory is excruciating. :suicide: Still discovered a fair bit, including a giant alien weapons platform and some cool mushroom caves.

Anyways, I got some decoys, which should help? But how do I use them? I don't seem to be able to equip them in my hands. I see you can load them into torpedo tubes, but I can't see any such tubes on my seamoth.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fruits of the sea posted:

So I've been doing my best to avoid spoilers with this game. Unfortunately it seems like the entire loving internet is scared of "the reaper" and wants to tell me about it. Great, so now I'm terrified of a messed up shark thing. Problem is, I don't know where this reaper is, so every single excursion into new territory is excruciating. :suicide: Still discovered a fair bit, including a giant alien weapons platform and some cool mushroom caves.

Anyways, I got some decoys, which should help? But how do I use them? I don't seem to be able to equip them in my hands. I see you can load them into torpedo tubes, but I can't see any such tubes on my seamoth.

You'll figure it out. It's super obvious later when you can use them. Reapers are a twitch meme people invented to troll people. Don't read anything else it's not worth it!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Like all of the large monsters are super dumb and are not like the predator just waiting to pounce on you. And if they do attack they usually run away before attacking again.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tenzarin posted:

Like all of the large monsters are super dumb and are not like the predator just waiting to pounce on you. And if they do attack they usually run away before attacking again.

Maybe don't tell him what to do about them considering:

So I've been doing my best to avoid spoilers with this game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Is the EA period ending as predicted in early 2020?

I quite enjoyed the original but given the numerous issues even with the final version I waited on BZ so far. Whats the threads verdict on the state/when to play? Will it be finished soon or samish to the original? Worse?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Final release is going to be a little delayed, they are also changing the story, so it will probably be out sometime during the spring is my guess.

The early access is fun and has been for a while, but there is still stuff missing though I think it is just story stuff at this point.
I haven’t noticed any major bugs.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Oasx posted:

I haven’t noticed any major bugs.

There’s a super annoying bug when you play with a controller that makes it impossible for you to quickslot an item if it’s on the last row of your inventory. Apart from that my experience has been surprisingly bug-free.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 4, 2019

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I haven't fallen through the world geometry or stepped out of a sub to find the ocean is now air and plummet to my death once yet, so that's a definite improvement. Shame about the controller thing though.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

It's especially annoying since playing with a controller works pretty much flawlessly otherwise. You tend to forget about it until suddenly you find a rare blueprint ~300m down and find that you're literally unable to select your scanner unless you zoom around and pick up random junk until it's not on the last inventory row anymore.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

I had the entire game spoiled for me before I even bought it and it was still terrifying and a ton of fun so I have know idea how y'all get through it not knowing what happens... :tinfoil:

If you really want to know about the decoys: they're for a giant submarine you get to build later which you can load into the special tube for it at which point it functions as described.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Non-spoiler advice:

-USE BEACONS, they're cheap as hell and about required for any remotely convenient navigation because you don't ever get a map. Lay down enough and you can even use them to orient yourself. If there's a direction you don't have many beacons laid down in, it might be worth exploring! Also you can mark places of interest that you aren't able or willing to fully check out yet.
-Not many people necessarily do this, but in early game especially I find it useful to use floating lockers to make survival stashes in places of interest; drop off some water, salted food, and even batteries in case you need them. Lategame, building bases basically operates on the same principle; places to put your stuff and recharge your batteries.
-Turning around and running away as fast as you can is an entirely valid strategy when in danger, for pretty much the whole game.
-Always keep your scanner on you, and pay attention to anything that looks out of place.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

-Always keep your scanner on you, and pay attention to anything that looks out of place.

To expand on this, if you have a scanner in you inventory and you see something that IS scannable, an icon of the scanner appear in the lower right hand corner.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I started a fresh run last night on a new PC. Finally able to turn the graphics up from the bare minimum, this game is so pretty. Spent about an hour and got as far as the Seamoth, can't wait to tool around in that again.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Did a hardcore run. Got owned by a reaper while I repaired my seamoth

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oh, and don't forget you can use your knife to take samples of pretty much anything inanimate and organic. (and one or two things that are slightly animate) Some things are crucial, others are optional but useful, some are flavour. It is possible to play the game as a vegetarian.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Also, the Scanner Room is your friend. It's amazing how many people forget it exists or never really try all the features; besides its actual functionality, it's very cheap and makes an excellent core room for a small outpost when you don't have the space, time or capacity to spring for a multi purpose room.

* Whatever target you're scanning for actually gets highlighted in the HUD of the remote camera drones when you're operating them, meaning before you have any other equipment you can drive the drone up to a fragment or resource chunk, leave it there, and just use the drone HUD ping to guide you to it. Be aware that stalkers can and will go out of their way to steal unattended camera drones, and they're not too shy about snatching attended ones, either, the dopey little fuckers.

* The effective range on the drone is something like 250-300 meters before the signal starts to degrade too much; this makes it excellent for scouting wreck interiors or otherwise hazardous areas without worrying about oxygen.

* Once you have the HUD chip, you can use the scan-for-target functionality to keep an eye on nearby hostile leviathans when you're not actively looking for resources or fragments. Reapers are a lot easier to avoid when you know exactly where they are.

* Fully upgraded, the range on the scanner is quite impressive; this makes exploring for wrecks and the like in hazardous areas pretty easy, just plonk down a scanner room, power it, plug in range upgrades, see what you can find.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

JawnV6 posted:

I started a fresh run last night on a new PC. Finally able to turn the graphics up from the bare minimum, this game is so pretty. Spent about an hour and got as far as the Seamoth, can't wait to tool around in that again.

One of the things that hooked me on my first play through of Subnautica was when I first left the escape pod at night and saw all the amazing color's and sounds. The art-design of most of the game was really good.

I also suggest creating an observatory wherever you build a base. The game treat's it as a unique biome, and you get enhanced fauna spawns and music. It really atmospheric. (It's expensive and provides no other benefit as the game is quick to tell you).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I can't remember, does the observatory actually halt your hunger/thirst like sitting does, or do I just always build a chair/bench in my observatories and thus never noticed?

Anyway, they're a really nice spot to, well, just sit a spell, eat some lunch, and go through your PDA entries backlog/plan for your next move.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Drake_263 posted:

Also, the Scanner Room is your friend. It's amazing how many people forget it exists or never really try all the features; besides its actual functionality, it's very cheap and makes an excellent core room for a small outpost when you don't have the space, time or capacity to spring for a multi purpose room.

* Whatever target you're scanning for actually gets highlighted in the HUD of the remote camera drones when you're operating them, meaning before you have any other equipment you can drive the drone up to a fragment or resource chunk, leave it there, and just use the drone HUD ping to guide you to it. Be aware that stalkers can and will go out of their way to steal unattended camera drones, and they're not too shy about snatching attended ones, either, the dopey little fuckers.

* The effective range on the drone is something like 250-300 meters before the signal starts to degrade too much; this makes it excellent for scouting wreck interiors or otherwise hazardous areas without worrying about oxygen.

* Once you have the HUD chip, you can use the scan-for-target functionality to keep an eye on nearby hostile leviathans when you're not actively looking for resources or fragments. Reapers are a lot easier to avoid when you know exactly where they are.

* Fully upgraded, the range on the scanner is quite impressive; this makes exploring for wrecks and the like in hazardous areas pretty easy, just plonk down a scanner room, power it, plug in range upgrades, see what you can find.

This is an extremely good info post. My last playthrough I build scanner bases in every biome. Used cameras to fly around the map to find something interesting and then left the camera there as a mobile beacon of its own to find stuff.

Also the ability to increase the scan range and the mapping in the room itself was invaluable to know what the area around the scanner base actually looks like. It does show a topographic hologram of the surrounding areas. It was really cool mapping out the map. Seeing a ditch somewhere, jumping on a camera to fly to it to check it. loving sweet gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Just remember to remove any modules from the scanner room before you disassemble it.