Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

General Dog posted:

This is never going to happen unless it’s the NY6. The SEC can assign teams to its affiliate bowls at its discretion.

When we play again, it needs to be a big deal, not in some sad third tier bowl with a quarter of the starters and half the staffs gone. It needs to be a setting where we can really light some candles and lay out some rose petals. Reliant Stadium isn’t it.

Aggie and UT fans thinking they're too good and important to play each other is just so cute :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Democrazy posted:

And, call me suspicious, but some NCAA investigations have led me to believe that some of these tutors may be going above and beyond their tutoring role.

That's all I'm saying. What surprises me is that the schools aren't trying to pull some sort of rear end covering when it comes out that Star Player wasn't even going to online classes.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

I hope Florida doesn’t get sent to the Cotton Bowl to play Memphis because there’s no upside to playing a good G5 team. At least there’s a decent chance their coaching staff is in Fayetteville or wherever.

I’d honestly prefer the Outback Bowl.

Big Piece O Shit fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 3, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

torturemyballs posted:

Aggie and UT fans thinking they're too good and important to play each other is just so cute :allears:

It’s not that we’re to important to play UT, it’s that the game is too important to play in some stupid bowl. Would Notre Dame and USC play in the Redbox Bowl?

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Zero because A&M will have the SEC kill it if a bowl tries

A&M is too bitchmade to play Texas again.

There was a segment last week on the local news in Austin interviewing (I believe) the ADs from both schools. Texas said “yeah, it’d be great to resume the rivalry.” A&M said “why do they keep talking about it? it’s not a big deal to us.” It comes up every Thanksgiving.

Sir Thats Gross fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 3, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Democrazy posted:

I don’t think that one-on-one tutoring is the same as going to class, although I understand that it is often needed as a supplement. And, call me suspicious, but some NCAA investigations have led me to believe that some of these tutors may be going above and beyond their tutoring role.

Julius Peppers' tutor at UNC didn't help another student. Then when Peppers graduated, that tutor became his agent and didn't have another client.

This agent then used Peppers' connections with football and basketball players at UNC to float them high interest loans prior to getting drafted.

Good work if you can get it.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Sir Thats Gross posted:

A&M said “why do they keep talking about it? it’s not a big deal to us.” It comes up every Thanksgiving.

*Sings about hatred of Texas after literally every score in every game*

I'm an A&M fan. Play the dumb game. I don't care if it's in Shreveport or whatever.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

8 years ago today was the first Big Ten Championship game between Wisconsin and Michigan State. Was that game the first sparty no?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Yates posted:

8 years ago today was the first Big Ten Championship game between Wisconsin and Michigan State. Was that game the first sparty no?

Nah I'm pretty sure guy was molesting girls before that

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Captain von Trapp posted:

*Sings about hatred of Texas after literally every score in every game*

I'm an A&M fan. Play the dumb game. I don't care if it's in Shreveport or whatever.

Amen to that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
aggy won't play texas cause they're scared.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Yates posted:

lol not even close. Sparty No began in the Bobby Williams and John L. Smith eras, when it would happen several times per season.

If you want to learn more, play this Sporcle quiz that gets updated every time a new one happens:
https://www.sporcle.com/games/schnoxl/sparty_no

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

MourningView posted:

It is nearly 2020, lots of people, athlete or otherwise are taking online classes. Football is effectively a full time job with significant OT demands, in a lot of cases taking classes online is the easiest way to work around that schedule while still getting in all your required classes

Also I'm sure if you gave Fields the option to just go play football professionally he'd take it but he can't so

My Niece has a rare birth defect called Klippel-Trenaunay that basically caused one of her legs to not have a full circulatory system. Her junior year she got a horrible infection and had to be airlifted to the Mayo clinic during the second week of class. Purdue converted all of her classes to online so she could stay enrolled and keep up on her own schedule.

If its something that's done for regular students, I don't see an issue doing it for student athletes.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sir Thats Gross posted:

So, uh, ESPN projects Tennessee to play Minnesota in the Outback Bowl and I’m just not so sure I understand how that adds up.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28168924/college-football-bowl-projections

Already been explained why but let’s say it happens and we beat Minnesota convincingly.

Would you rank us?

you cowards

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
nah beating minnesota isn't that hard

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

nah beating minnesota isn't that hard

I was gonna make a joke about how we clean up in the Outback bowl against Big 10 teams anyway but that was the TaxSlayer Bowl dammit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I got really drunk with some nice Vols fans watching that game and getting our asses whooped so badly with Rudock starting got Beathard the job for the next season and launched our Rose Bowl run so worth it imo.

Meanwhile y'all gave Butch an extension so who really lost?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

wernox posted:

My Niece has a rare birth defect called Klippel-Trenaunay that basically caused one of her legs to not have a full circulatory system. Her junior year she got a horrible infection and had to be airlifted to the Mayo clinic during the second week of class. Purdue converted all of her classes to online so she could stay enrolled and keep up on her own schedule.

If its something that's done for regular students, I don't see an issue doing it for student athletes.

DO YOU THINK PAUL HORNUNG OR DICK BUTKUS TOOK ONLINE COURSES I DONT THINK SO THEY CHEWED NAILS AND TOOK CIVICS WHILE EATING FROM A FUCKIN STEEL LUNCHPAIL

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes every Michigan player is majoring in General Studies or Kinesiology, but Brian Cook knows people who have been in classes with them dammit!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jax_dolphins/status/1201870920421400577?s=21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes every Michigan player is majoring in General Studies or Kinesiology, but Brian Cook knows people who have been in classes with them dammit!

iirc almost half the general studies majors at Michigan are athletes

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

LeeMajors posted:

DO YOU THINK PAUL HORNUNG OR DICK BUTKUS TOOK ONLINE COURSES I DONT THINK SO THEY CHEWED NAILS AND TOOK CIVICS WHILE EATING FROM A FUCKIN STEEL LUNCHPAIL

You almost nailed it but Michigan Men are too old and have to much dignity to yell that loud.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I taught classes with football players in them and some were good students!

Some never showed up except for exams.

Some of them turned in work that was very different from their exams. Like, night and day. Quite...interesting.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I always saw players on campus, but never had classes with any.

A buddy of mine won a ton of money off of Duane Coleman shooting pool in the student union tho... He wasn't in class, but I guess you could say he got schooled :smuggo: Duane could have turned him into a pile of goo, but instead asked for pointers on shooting pool. Nice guy.

Also, Reggie Merriweather threw great parties and was shockingly short.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Some of them turned in work that was very different from their exams. Like, night and day. Quite...interesting.

Did anyone from the administration or athletic department ever show up and go "You know it would be really helpful to the university if this player got a B"?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

wernox posted:

That’s great! It’s great that students who need that kind of flexibility have it these days. That being said, playing football is not the same as having a debilitating disease.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Democrazy posted:

That being said, playing football is not the same as having a debilitating disease.

That is where you are wrong.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
somehow missed matt luke getting fired until this morning, that seems like a weird/sudden move unless they've got a Good Get lined up

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Every student should be able to take as many online courses as they want no matter what their extracurricular activities are, hth.

This is one of the dumbest discussions we have had.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
There's really not much difference between online classes and going to class at a big university

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1201880166764556288?s=20

SCar desperately in search of an ACC team to beat.

In all seriousness hopefully both teams will be in better shape by then because good on them for branching out a bit and scheduling someone they really don't play that often.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I don't have much of an opinion on it other than that it might be a bad idea socially. Also, it should lower the cost of tuition but it won't.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

my buddy was in a business class with Ryan Kelly and Jake Coker

Kelly did everything for Jake--Ryan is a really sharp guy and Jake is "stare up at rainclouds and drown" stupid

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
https://twitter.com/MikeABCColumbia/status/1201888882725474304?s=20

I have a hard time believing he sustained those injuries during the Clemson game. If he was hurt going in, and Muschamp knew about it... hooooooo boy.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Rad Valtar posted:

Every student should be able to take as many online courses as they want no matter what their extracurricular activities are, hth.

This is one of the dumbest discussions we have had.

A recent study found that the average student athlete in the PAC-12 spends 50 hours a week. The NCAA is defending a structure in which athletes are recruited under the guise of being students, given a full time athletics workload and either explicitly steered away from pursuing their academic goals or else forced into a situation where they have to alter their academic course load to accommodate their demanding academic schedules. Other students face hardship, but this particular hardship is entirely within the control of the university. Surely between the flip idea that athletics are an elective and student athletes are free to do whatever, and athletes are essentially full-time employees so it doesn’t make sense for them to have an academic career, there’s a middle ground. This is all within the control of the NCAA and universities.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Captain von Trapp posted:

General Dog posted:

They don’t want fan-player altercations happening on field.

Does this regularly happen in conferences where rushing is tolerated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCg3uK590NY
It was self defense though :rolleyes:
“After viewing the film and speaking to people who were at the scene, I truly believe that Kellen did not instigate the situation and that he was simply reacting to what he saw as a dangerous situation coming right at him,” Solich said.

Also see: Carl Pelini.

Thankfully this shouldn't happen anymore because nobody will ever rush a field after beating Nebraska again.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 3, 2019

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

Democrazy posted:

That’s great! It’s great that students who need that kind of flexibility have it these days. That being said, playing football is not the same as having a debilitating disease.

Its simply an accomodation for a students circumstances and I think sports would fit into that as well.

poo poo, I wish my MBA had been all online, my group was carried by 2-3 of us with the other two coming along for the 4.0 ride. Coincidentally, one of the two freeloaders was a former Stanford football player.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, he was nobody famous, just a scholarship O-Lineman who was a career backup. He was bright enough, had another master's degree, but had recently had a kid and was busy with that. The program was all consuming, 20+ hours a week for 11 months straight.....my kids didn't know who I was at the end of it.

wernox fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 3, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Should have gotten your MBA at the prestigious Michigan school of business which offers an online program

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I had a class with a hockey player once. He was cool

I also walked past Hackenburg on campus once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

MourningView posted:

Should have gotten your MBA at the prestigious Michigan school of business which offers an online program

I should have, that ugly rear end red IU (Fort Wayne) diploma is a stain on my life and has brought shame and about $50k in salary increases to my house.