Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ClassH posted:

Just so people know Microsoft sells these for $25 off on their ebay store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-Vive-Deluxe-Audio-Strap-/264316510818

Out of stock and none sold since 10/25 make me think this is a dead end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Question about cable management.

My ideal VR room is my living room. Plenty of open space and I have an SFF PC that I can bring in there and hook up to the TV, I've already tried my Rift S in there and it works great, aside from the cable being on the ground and sometimes getting wrapped around me if I'm playing Robo Recall or something else that involves turning a lot.

The issue is that it's also got a high ceiling - it's almost 2 stories high in the center. So the traditional retractable badge holder thing wouldn't really work unless I chain them together and also get up on a ladder every time I want to set up the headset. The other rooms in my house are either small or have ceiling fans, so I can't use it in those rooms without being super careful not to hit something.

Has anyone worked out like, a freestanding cable arm? I'm thinking a post maybe 8-9 feet tall with a weighted base (like one of those sand-filled patio umbrella holders) and a lightweight arm on top that could be locked in place and has the retractable supports attached to it, then folded back against the wall when not in use. It'd be ideal if such a thing already existed (either in pre-made or "here's the parts you need" form), but I suppose I could rig something up if not. I'm also trying to avoid any permanent mounting, and the room is too big to use a shower curtain rod or similar as a removable thing.

Even better if there were a wireless adaptor for the Rift S, but who knows if there will be one and what it'll cost.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

What are the recommended games to get over the motion sickness/be able to use locomotion systems? Even in the ISS experience the 'grab a wall and propel yourself' movement system is a bit uncomfortable, I think because the acceleration involved, if I use the normal EVA jet propulsion is better.

Eat some crystallized ginger before playing too, helps reduce motion sickness.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Just let your cable hit the floor it's fine

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

What are the recommended games to get over the motion sickness/be able to use locomotion systems? Even in the ISS experience the 'grab a wall and propel yourself' movement system is a bit uncomfortable, I think because the acceleration involved, if I use the normal EVA jet propulsion is better.

Serious Sam first encounter is the most aggressive full locomotion game out there. play it for a minute a day until you get used to it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

Serious Sam first encounter is the most aggressive full locomotion game out there. play it for a minute a day until you get used to it.

Can agree here.

poo poo is wild.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Deathlove posted:

Out of stock and none sold since 10/25 make me think this is a dead end?

drat, yea. Didn't see that they hadn't sold since 10/25.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TVs Ian posted:

Question about cable management.

My ideal VR room is my living room. Plenty of open space and I have an SFF PC that I can bring in there and hook up to the TV, I've already tried my Rift S in there and it works great, aside from the cable being on the ground and sometimes getting wrapped around me if I'm playing Robo Recall or something else that involves turning a lot.

The issue is that it's also got a high ceiling - it's almost 2 stories high in the center. So the traditional retractable badge holder thing wouldn't really work unless I chain them together and also get up on a ladder every time I want to set up the headset. The other rooms in my house are either small or have ceiling fans, so I can't use it in those rooms without being super careful not to hit something.

Has anyone worked out like, a freestanding cable arm? I'm thinking a post maybe 8-9 feet tall with a weighted base (like one of those sand-filled patio umbrella holders) and a lightweight arm on top that could be locked in place and has the retractable supports attached to it, then folded back against the wall when not in use. It'd be ideal if such a thing already existed (either in pre-made or "here's the parts you need" form), but I suppose I could rig something up if not. I'm also trying to avoid any permanent mounting, and the room is too big to use a shower curtain rod or similar as a removable thing.

Even better if there were a wireless adaptor for the Rift S, but who knows if there will be one and what it'll cost.

So.... you mean something kind of like this?

which is just an IKEA lamp base: https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10103861/

Honestly just getting used to the cable on the ground is a better bet than trying to rig something like that up. Its really not too bad.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

So.... you mean something kind of like this?

which is just an IKEA lamp base: https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10103861/

Honestly just getting used to the cable on the ground is a better bet than trying to rig something like that up. Its really not too bad.

Just get used to the cable.

I've seen people do that, and its just asking for you to clap that drat thing. Just get used to stepping over a cable, for real.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You can use something like Turn Signal to help keep you straight
https://store.steampowered.com/app/689580/TurnSignal/

The floor image will twist as you get more twisted up:

https://gfycat.com/ellipticalhiddenfulmar

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
FPSVR, a wonderful tool, also has a cable twist dealie. Turn Signal bugged for me a lot, but FPSVR never has.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I'd like to nominate this one as the best motion sickness induction simulator, and I'm basically immune to it usually.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1051570/Hockey_Player_VR/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Butcher posted:

I'd like to nominate this one as the best motion sickness induction simulator, and I'm basically immune to it usually.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1051570/Hockey_Player_VR/

It's a rink full of Rayman characters. :eyepop:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Only had about 15min to put into it, but Until You Fall is super fun so far.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Rolo posted:

I’ll try it out!

On the subject of hardware, I’m behind the curve by about 20 years. I ended up with a Ryzen 5 2600, GTX 1660ti and 16Gb DDR4.

This will be fine, correct?

Dude, that's a fine rig. It's better than my current build (Ryzen 5 1600 + GTX 1060 6gb) and I've never been disappointed in it's performance. I have upgrades on the way for high refresh VR but you should be fine playing just about whatever you want.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
If I can play Ultrawings for two hours without issues but Skyrim VR makes me wanna blow chunks after 15 minutes, is something like Windlands going to be playable or should I look elsewhere?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bloodplay it again posted:

If I can play Ultrawings for two hours without issues but Skyrim VR makes me wanna blow chunks after 15 minutes, is something like Windlands going to be playable or should I look elsewhere?

Give it a go and see how you fare. You'll know almost immediately and can get a refund if it makes you queasy anyway.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Enos Cabell posted:

Only had about 15min to put into it, but Until You Fall is super fun so far.

Played for a bit myself finally.

Yeah. Get it. Its fun. Its basically infinity blade in VR with movement.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

treat posted:

Dude, that's a fine rig. It's better than my current build (Ryzen 5 1600 + GTX 1060 6gb) and I've never been disappointed in it's performance. I have upgrades on the way for high refresh VR but you should be fine playing just about whatever you want.

Sweet! Now I’m just hoping the parts get here.

Newegg listed the order as “packaging” right before most of the components sold out and it hasn’t changed to shipped. :ohdear:

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Turin Turambar posted:

Gorn was like dipping my toes into the deep end of the pool. You drag yourself through the world with an arm pump like motion, and you can have your choice between different ways to turn. The added arm motion helped trick my brain into accepting a small component of artificial motion, and let me build up to fully artificial motion games. The common mantra is to play however long you're able to, and if you start feeling ill, don't power through it, take a break until you're 100% fine before you try again. People say if you just try to push through you'll start associating that game or having the headset on with motion sickness.

When I was still using the rift s I would occasionally use the analog sticks to move and turn in oculus home since it wouldn't break my heart if that environment made me sick. Another trick that worked for me was to play racing games, since being seated tricks my brain into accepting that form of motion. Next I tried games with artificial motion while sitting down, and eventually I just found that I could play payday 2 while standing up without any problems one day. It was a bit of a gradual process over the course of a couple of weeks for me. I don't know that I'd say I am fully immune to the motion sickness effect, but I feel pretty comfortable playing 30~m at a time for a fully artificial motion game. The more chances there are to take small breaks and or move around in my room to play instead, the longer I can go.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Is an RTX 2070 good enough for all/most games in VR?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

i must compose posted:

Is an RTX 2070 good enough for all/most games in VR?

Absolutely. What's your CPU and RAM?

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Absolutely. What's your CPU and RAM?

16 gigs of ram, with an i7-7700 (non k).

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

i must compose posted:

16 gigs of ram, with an i7-7700 (non k).

CPU is fine; I’ve got the K version but I’m not exactly straining. RAM sounds fine too. I’ve got 32 but it should be fine anyways.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm coming from a CV1 in a smaller room, so I'm used to the cable, but part of the problem is that since moving to the living room, this hurfing monster is an issue.

He's learned not to get too close while I'm flailing around, since he got bonked in the head when I was playing Beat Saber, but he hasn't learned he can step over the cable. He mostly just gets it stuck on his chest and keeps walking. Maybe if I get the extensions and get an extra few feet on there it'll lay flat enough to not be an issue.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Man Lone Echo is great, been loving this. Bought this, and the other game made by the same people i haven't played yet, and The Climb.

Also, I know most people here don't like it, but Job Simulator is still, imo, hands down the best introduction to VR, with high interactivity and discovery and an emphasis on physically moving around to do things combined with zero nausea potential. And it's also by far the best younger kid game on the system still, the kids I know beg to play it every time they come over, they love the car mechanic mode especially.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 3, 2019

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Throwing stuff in VR is like punching in a dream.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So news is saying that oculus quests are completely sold out?

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-rift-s-black-friday-no-stock/

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-reseller-premium-price-sold-out/

It makes sense because all my kid's friends are begging for one for Christmas and I've been seeing ads for quests on tv during football games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I turned off ASW and it improved my Stormland experience dramatically, because now the game stays at around 80-90 fps instead of constantly jumping between 45 and 90.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
What sorts of battery packs counterweight solutions are people using? I want to make sure my Quest feels nice and comfortable when using it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

The Bee posted:

What sorts of battery packs counterweight solutions are people using? I want to make sure my Quest feels nice and comfortable when using it.

I would suggest you try it out as it is for a week or two first. There is somewhat of a breaking in period, and part of it is getting the straps adjusted properly. Not everyone has the same shape/size head that you need to go out and put anything extra on it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

JHVH-1 posted:

I would suggest you try it out as it is for a week or two first. There is somewhat of a breaking in period, and part of it is getting the straps adjusted properly. Not everyone has the same shape/size head that you need to go out and put anything extra on it.

I just took a 10,000 mAh battery pack and strapped it on with velcro ties. Works great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDF8CNK/

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-Reusable-Fastening-Organizing/dp/B001E1Y5O6/

If you get something bigger, you'll probably have to get longer velcro ties. But those two should work fine.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Bee posted:

A cheap counter weight that several people tried and liked was a standard size can of soup and zip ties. You can test your solution for pennies in just a minute. Your head can carry tons of weight (queue pictures of people with 10 gallon jugs of water on head) but it doesn't like being unbalanced.

Personally I have a Quest with DAS and no counter weight, but after about 40 minutes (I watched some TV through VR over the weekend) I start to get some fatigue/discomfort from the weight on my face. Many people suggest a counter weight on the DAS but I haven't tried it. Yes I've tried all methods of moving things around (longer strap, lower on head) but I've never found a comfortable location with original strap or DAS. But I also have a large head (usually largest or second largest spot on snap hats) and have to use a Index grip booster.

Side note: If you want to drink a drink while watching something on the Quest, get a straw, you can totally drink a can of soda/beer without a straw but it's tough to keep everything in place and drink.

Besides that, the linked 10k battery seems to be the agreed correct size. Personally I find 2-3 hours of game time to be enough most of the time so I don't really feel the need for more battery.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 3, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Quick note: Just because a cable can handle the USB 3 data doesn't mean it will work for Oculus Link. Specifically Oculus wants a cable that can handle USB 3 data AND charge at the same time. They could let just about any cable work with as a link but if they did that then people would have to monitor the charge levels of the Quest. Oculus is intentionally being extremely picky with the cables they allow for now.

Personally I hope they do that sometime soon since again I tend to find 2 hours of VR playtime at a time to be enough for me. Usually I want a break/the real world requirements break up a long session anyway.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Throwing stuff in VR is like punching in a dream.

100% serious: Poker Stars VR has the best throwing mechanics in VR. Everyone should copy them.

Superhot has the worst, annoyingly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AndrewP posted:

100% serious: Poker Stars VR has the best throwing mechanics in VR. Everyone should copy them.

Superhot has the worst, annoyingly.

The 'time moves when you do' makes it trickier, but I agree throwing in superhotVR feels pretty awful.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
If you have a kitchen scale handy, the Quest HMD sans strap comes up to around 430g or 14oz. for us Imperial weirdos.

Two standard door hinges with one of the pins taken out hit 470g, which I went with, since the display's weight projects out further from your head. I hollowed out a 4" length of pool noodle, shoved the hinges in there, and velcro strapped it to the headstrap. The change was instantly noticeable. Not only did it help my neck tension, the HMD also stayed put on my face way better.

Yes, I do keep pool noodles around for my dumb little projects. They're useful as Hell.

Zaphod42 posted:

The 'time moves when you do' makes it trickier, but I agree throwing in superhotVR feels pretty awful.

Throwing things in Superhot is not accurate at all. I groan every time I spawn into a room and see shurikens.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 3, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Clitch posted:

If you have a kitchen scale handy, the Quest HMD sans strap comes up to around 430g or 14oz. for us Imperial weirdos.

Two standard door hinges with one of the pins taken out hit 470g, which I went with, since the display's weight projects out further from your head. I hollowed out a 4" length of pool noodle, shoved the hinges in there, and velcro strapped it to the headstrap. The change was instantly noticeable. Not only did it help my neck tension, the HMD also stayed put on my face way better.

Yes, I do keep pool noodles around for my dumb little projects. They're useful as Hell.

Throwing things in Superhot is not accurate at all. I groan every time I spawn into a room and see shurikens.

Could you take a picture? I have some spare pool noddles this sounds like a good idea.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Stick100 posted:

Could you take a picture? I have some spare pool noddles this sounds like a good idea.

Watch this space for when I get home in a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

So is an RTX 2070 and i7-7700 good enough for project cars 2? And is motion smoothing just a terrible thing to use? I keep hearing talk about artifacts but don't understand what that would mean.