Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

hooah posted:

When can kids start eating carrots? Do they need molars?

I don’t know if there’s a particular age when they can, but if they don’t have molars you could cook them to be softer or purée them. If I remember right when our son could do pouches lots of them had carrot in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

hooah posted:

When can kids start eating carrots? Do they need molars?

Well, you can cook them to soften them beforehand. For crunchy carrots I think we waited for molars, and cut them skinny.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, to clarify, meant raw carrots. Thanks.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

our 18 month olds have molars, but they have trouble swallowing the carrots once they're chewed into little bits. i think our oldest was like two and a half before she got the hang of it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My son aged up at daycare. That's $15 less per week in daycare costs! :woop:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
my child has fallen prey to Sin and become encumbered with a malicious Yetzer Hara, i must secret him to the temple and bathe him in Moonwater lest the Hunger beneath his flesh corrupts us all.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Target has Moonwater half-off for Cyber Monday.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
You can alternate tylenol and motrin every 4 hours to help dull the hunger pains while you wait for his darkness to finish erupting.

gently caress molars. Why do all 4 have to come in at once?

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
"It's just a phase" I mutter to myself at 4 am in the pitch darkness trying to take a piss as a clinging toddler digs his nails in a bit deeper. No daddy, no grandma, MOMMY ONLY FOREVER AND EVER.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kiddo is now afraid of the dark

4 years with no issues, to the point where he has actually asked us to turn his nightlight off in the past
but as of this weekend he has started freaking out anytime he is in a room by himself with the lights off

bedtime has been super fun

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

2DEG posted:

"It's just a phase" I mutter to myself at 4 am in the pitch darkness trying to take a piss as a clinging toddler digs his nails in a bit deeper. No daddy, no grandma, MOMMY ONLY FOREVER AND EVER.

This was my lovely wife and darling daughter a few years ago, and now it's papa only forever and ever. Solidarity and good luck.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

The Fool posted:

kiddo is now afraid of the dark

4 years with no issues, to the point where he has actually asked us to turn his nightlight off in the past
but as of this weekend he has started freaking out anytime he is in a room by himself with the lights off

bedtime has been super fun

If you celebrate Christmas, use this season as an excuse to put up xmas lights in his room.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1up posted:

If you celebrate Christmas, use this season as an excuse to put up xmas lights in his room.

Yeah our daughter went through a tiny scared of the dark phase and it was Christmas last year (she was 4 as well). We got one of those tiny pre-lit trees for like 10 bucks from Big Lots and it did the trick.

2DEG posted:

"It's just a phase" I mutter to myself at 4 am in the pitch darkness FOREVER AND EVER.

FTFY

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I put a pink bulb in my daughter's lamp, it seems to do a good job of lighting things up without messing with sleep as much as a real bulb. It also makes her room look like Kramer's apartment from the fried chicken episode.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

2DEG posted:

I wish I could identify, right now I can only identify with dads who have toddlers who reject them at any opportunity when Mom is around.

Guess both have their drawbacks.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Just about to hit 6 months twin report:

* Sleep is mostly 8pm to 7am at this point
* Food is all figured out
* Looking forward to talking and crawling
* Lots of smiles and laughs
* Being a dad owns
* A nanny is a life saver

bomb fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 4, 2019

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Any advice on making new friends as a stay-at-home dad with an 19-month-old? Existing friends are either younger and childless or work and do full time daycare.

I’ve taken him to activities at the local library and rec center to try and meet other parents, but he’s so active that I barely have time for pleasantries before I have to chase after him.

Also, do any other SAHD just generally feel invisible? Like even when I do get to hang out with other adults, they’ll ask about my kid but no one seems interested in how I’m doing. I feel like popular media portrays moms as being able to vent about how hard parenting is but dads are just shown as bumbling dudes over their heads or as being so brave for spending time with their kids. Basically gently caress the patriarchy. Ugh.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
^^^
I've had a hard time with making friends all along (almost thirteen years now). I was in my mid 20s when I had my kid, so I was way ahead of any of my friends, who are only just now having kids, if at all, so I've felt like I'm on a different path. Especially now that I'm a single parent (her mother passed away this year), it makes socializing really hard.

Feeling invisible is a definite problem. Worse though is the way some of the mothers of her classmates were in elementary school when she was at a catholic school. They treated me like I wasn't worth talking to at all at school functions; even the people in charge of the school did that sometimes. Was frustrating. When my daughter was tiny, taking her to parks and such could be awkward sometimes; when she was out on the playground equipment, people would see me sitting alone on a bench and assume I was there to be a creeper. Was hard to strike up conversations with other parents.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I put a pink bulb in my daughter's lamp, it seems to do a good job of lighting things up without messing with sleep as much as a real bulb. It also makes her room look like Kramer's apartment from the fried chicken episode.

My daughter lights her room with color-controllable LED floodlights, so I always have a light show pouring out of her room. When she's in a bad mood they turn red, so there will be an ominous red glow coming from under the door, which is hilarious.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

life is killing me posted:

I wish I could identify, right now I can only identify with dads who have toddlers who reject them at any opportunity when Mom is around.

Guess both have their drawbacks.
They sure do, mine sticks to me like glue.
This morning for example; Wake up 5AM, he happily prances downstairs and I zombie shuffle after him to make breakfast, baby monitor makes a few noises to I ask "[Son], I need to go and see baby. Can you please stay here? Please stay here ok?" I look at him while I'm back upstairs with his cheesy loving grin, go into babies room and see he's happily snooz-THUDTHUDTHUDSLAM "Hiyyyaaaa!", kiddo ran up the stairs after me and blasts into the room.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Thanks for this!

*gives the secret goon dad fistbump*

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

whydirt posted:

Any advice on making new friends as a stay-at-home dad with an 19-month-old? Existing friends are either younger and childless or work and do full time daycare.

I’ve taken him to activities at the local library and rec center to try and meet other parents, but he’s so active that I barely have time for pleasantries before I have to chase after him.

Also, do any other SAHD just generally feel invisible? Like even when I do get to hang out with other adults, they’ll ask about my kid but no one seems interested in how I’m doing. I feel like popular media portrays moms as being able to vent about how hard parenting is but dads are just shown as bumbling dudes over their heads or as being so brave for spending time with their kids. Basically gently caress the patriarchy. Ugh.

Im only a part-time SAHD so can partially identify at least.

I’ve started to look up SAHD groups in my area. I have enough friends but a couple more possible friends couldn’t hurt so my kid can also have someone to play with.

I’m trying to ignore the stigma associated with this and just try to do my own thing without worrying too much, but going to the play place or the local dream park can get some looks and most other parents will smile and laugh at my son because he’s cute but completely ignore me. If anyone strikes up a conversation it’s usually a mom out with her kids asking questions about mine and saying he’s cute. I keep to myself typically. I don’t talk to the moms often and I’m not typically the one who starts up any conversation, but the weirdest part about it is that my son is usually really sweet, and if another kid takes a toy he’s playing with or pushes him out of the way I don’t know how it’ll be taken if a big bald guy with a beard stands up for his son among a group of moms.

I feel ya. I’m not full-time so can’t speak to that but I CAN identify.

It can be found and there are other SAHDs out there.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

2DEG posted:

Same, except DADDY ONLY here. Gah! I've been at home with her for 6 months now, I start work again on Monday when mommy goes on leave. I'm sure it will go fine. :cry: She cries if I go to take out the garbage and leave her with mommy! People tell me it only takes a couple of days for them to adjust but I'll feel like poo poo leaving her crying in the morning.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My 7mo was more interested in her toy at daycare than the kiss on the head I gave her at dropoff. It’s gonna be real rough when she decides to care if I stay, so I’m trying to appreciate this now. As much as I can appreciate leaving her to go to work :(

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

My 7mo was more interested in her toy at daycare than the kiss on the head I gave her at dropoff. It’s gonna be real rough when she decides to care if I stay, so I’m trying to appreciate this now. As much as I can appreciate leaving her to go to work :(

If it helps my 18mo old is the same. He forgets I'm there as soon as he walks into daycare, but I'm not sure if that's his age and wanting to be there working together, or if it's just because I'm Dada and I'm second to Mom, Gigi, Pops, and everyone else right now. I'm only first if it's just me and him somewhere. When Mom is home, it's like Dada isn't even there a lot of the time.

There was a period he didn't want me to leave, but it was the same with my wife and that was either a phase or the daycare he was in.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

BadSamaritan posted:

Yeah that's a phase - or rather, the clingy period around one year is a phase, maybe, and this is the normal?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We've had our first ear infection with our daughter. We had been battling a fever for a few days and took her into the doctor this morning. Apparently, we caught the very beginning of the ear infection. At least with the antibiotics and ibuprofen she's slept for most of today.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Well, be glad you caught it early. I didn’t catch my daughter’s first until she had it a few days and it got really bad, to the point where she would scream if I would put her down in the crib. I felt awful about that, let me tell you. :(

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
That's what prompted us to take her in. She would scream at us for pretty much everything and our daughter is not quiet. Lol. After visiting the doctor and getting her on antibiotics and ibuprofen she's almost back to her normal self. Slept through the night for the most part, allowing us to get some sleep.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
DINNER WILL BE READY IN TEN MINUTES STOP ASKING FOR A loving SNACK!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
So Kid #4 is 20 months old now. Already showing clear signs of trying to take command of her three big brothers (and gods know, they can use some organizing). I was fixing dinner and she was kind of impatient and hungry so I set her at the table to munch on some vegetables as a starter course. So she turned around and shouted "Boys! Come! Dinner! NOW!" and when they did take their seats she was all "Boys! Sit still! Eat food!"

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Amazing.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So baby is a year and a few weeks old, and loves her baths. Today I started running the water in her tub, and she did her little tap dance and started pulling at her top, like she was trying to take it off. That's new, so she learned the clothes go off first, huh? All the little things...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

UnkleBoB posted:

^^^
I've had a hard time with making friends all along (almost thirteen years now). I was in my mid 20s when I had my kid, so I was way ahead of any of my friends, who are only just now having kids, if at all, so I've felt like I'm on a different path. Especially now that I'm a single parent (her mother passed away this year), it makes socializing really hard.

Feeling invisible is a definite problem. Worse though is the way some of the mothers of her classmates were in elementary school when she was at a catholic school. They treated me like I wasn't worth talking to at all at school functions; even the people in charge of the school did that sometimes. Was frustrating. When my daughter was tiny, taking her to parks and such could be awkward sometimes; when she was out on the playground equipment, people would see me sitting alone on a bench and assume I was there to be a creeper. Was hard to strike up conversations with other parents.

My daughter lights her room with color-controllable LED floodlights, so I always have a light show pouring out of her room. When she's in a bad mood they turn red, so there will be an ominous red glow coming from under the door, which is hilarious.

I'm a working dad, so I can't comment on the rest of this post. Though I do very much understand the loss of a loved one. I hope you're doing ok and have outlets; because that's what helped me get through it

As for baby related news, we also had croup but it seems to have just ended. Then baby decides they'd like to transition into another sleep regression :smith:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 5, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The sleep problems never end, even when they're teenagers. It just ties into the school week, then! I have to practically sound an air horn to get my son out of bed for school. Weekend though? Up at the rear end crack of dawn, and being as loud as humanly possible.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Groke posted:

So Kid #4 is 20 months old now. Already showing clear signs of trying to take command of her three big brothers (and gods know, they can use some organizing). I was fixing dinner and she was kind of impatient and hungry so I set her at the table to munch on some vegetables as a starter course. So she turned around and shouted "Boys! Come! Dinner! NOW!" and when they did take their seats she was all "Boys! Sit still! Eat food!"

My youngest did this to her older brothers as well, though the effect seems to be wearing off some now that she's older (4) and therefore closer to being one of their peers. It was hilarious while it lasted. And it's not totally gone--last week she complained that a bite of food she'd taken was spicy and my 5 year old promptly jumped up and got her a glass of water.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I'm a working dad, so I can't comment on the rest of this post. Though I do very much understand the loss of a loved one. I hope you're doing ok and have outlets; because that's what helped me get through it

Appreciate it. I have a good support system, thankfully. Kid is taking it as well as to be expected, too.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The sleep problems never end, even when they're teenagers. It just ties into the school week, then! I have to practically sound an air horn to get my son out of bed for school. Weekend though? Up at the rear end crack of dawn, and being as loud as humanly possible.

Mine is pretty good about getting up in the morning for school. She thankfully takes advantage of the weekends and sleeps in pretty late usually, since she'll stay up as late as possible chatting with friends.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have any ideas for deodorizing an Ubbi diaper pail? It still keeps odor in really well, but some stink seems to have embedded itself into the pail, such that a reel is released into the room whenever the pail is opened.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

hooah posted:

Does anyone have any ideas for deodorizing an Ubbi diaper pail? It still keeps odor in really well, but some stink seems to have embedded itself into the pail, such that a reel is released into the room whenever the pail is opened.

It doesn’t have charcoal tabs?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

life is killing me posted:

It doesn’t have charcoal tabs?

Nope, it just uses regular kitchen trash bags and nothing else. I usually leave it out in the back porch for a few hours when I empty it to try to air it out some. I've tried Febreeze and I think one of those baking soda boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

hooah posted:

Nope, it just uses regular kitchen trash bags and nothing else. I usually leave it out in the back porch for a few hours when I empty it to try to air it out some. I've tried Febreeze and I think one of those baking soda boxes.

Have you tried cleaning it with a cleaning product? Preferably with bleach?