Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Fangz posted:

EDIT: In fact alerting the RCM to the existence of the Deserter is objectively *worse* for the Claires than just having an Union guy blow Lelty away. This means the RCM has in custody the culprit of the murder of the competing Union boss and therefore has leverage over the Claires. Depending on Captain Price's actions all they accomplished here could come tumbling down.

An interesting point but a couple of things to note: 1. Lilianovich is obviously dying and is at least unlikely to last very long. 2. (At least in my run) He never actually confesses to the murder of the old boss. He always stays circumspect about it - he's proud of it but he doesn't consider himself a traitor and so won't admit to anything that will turn other comrades in - even lovely ones like the Claires.

That together, combined with how strong the Union position is in Martinaise by the end, Lilianovich is a fine limited hangout. Sure the RCM can guess that the Claires did away with the old boss but they always could - good luck doing anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fangz posted:

I view the Union locking down the dockyards after the Tribunal as a pretty good indication that they *did not plan for the Tribunal at all*. When Joyce left they thought they'd already won, they did not factor in the possibility of the mercs acting out on their own.

Conspiracy theories are in general dumb because you ignore that every complicated step you add, the more opportunities there are for things to go horribly wrong. A convoluted belief that things turned out 'just as planned' requires so, so many actors to behave just the right way, which could be all ruined if say the remaining mercs decide to suit up and machine gun the Union leadership. And again, things do not actually end perfectly for Evrart. They really, really do not want the Deserter in the RCM's hands.

There's also a weird unwillingness to believe that a clever or good leader could adapt to opportunities and unforeseen events; the Claires have to have planned it all out from the start or they aren't 'clever'. Evrart moving quickly to take advantage of the unforeseen killing of Lely doesn't make him stupid or events random or nonsensical.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Night10194 posted:

There's also a weird unwillingness to believe that a clever or good leader could adapt to opportunities and unforeseen events; the Claires have to have planned it all out from the start or they aren't 'clever'. Evrart moving quickly to take advantage of the unforeseen killing of Lely doesn't make him stupid or events random or nonsensical.

What about your ~weird unwillingness to believe~ that a clever or good leader adapting to opportunities and unforseen events in hindsight looks like a conspiracy? That's the thing about the "conspiracies are impossible - people just do whatever! :downs:" defence. Doing whatever in a concerted direction e.g. wanting a showdown with Wild Pines to kick them out of the harbour, ends up with a chain of events involving a pretty complicated murder conspiracy. They don't have to have planned out every detail from the start, they just have to know where they're headed and have control over a number of players.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you're starting to get a little heated that your red-string bullshit isn't holding up, bucko

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
mods aren't real I'll get as heated as I like

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Often Abbreviated posted:

What about your ~weird unwillingness to believe~ that a clever or good leader adapting to opportunities and unforseen events in hindsight looks like a conspiracy? That's the thing about the "conspiracies are impossible - people just do whatever! :downs:" defence. Doing whatever in a concerted direction e.g. wanting a showdown with Wild Pines to kick them out of the harbour, ends up with a chain of events involving a pretty complicated murder conspiracy. They don't have to have planned out every detail from the start, they just have to know where they're headed and have control over a number of players.

They need to control literally every player.

- They need the Deserter to be around to watch Klaasje gently caress Lelty through the spy hole, establishing a motive for him.
- They need Ruby and the Hardie boys to sign up to Klaasje's plan (and *not* be down with straight up murdering Lelty because that would make this entire conspiracy pointless)
- They need the Deserter to not want to talk to the RCM about the first murder but be happy to talk about the second murder that he didn't do.
- They need Klaasje to successfully do the murder of a trained elite merc despite never doing anything like that before.
- They need Harry to get drunk and not solve the case, because if he went to the island before Kim arrives the whole plan falls apart
- They need Klaasje to not get caught by the moralintern, in which case she would blab everything
- They need the Cryptid to keep the Deserter alive long enough for Harry to find him, but not afterwards.
- They need no forensics done on the bullet.
- They need Klaasje to dispose of the gun.
- They need the mercs to follow the investigation up until the Hardies are implicated but no further, and certainly not to cooperate with the RCM.
- They need the mercs to do the tribunal drunk instead of fully sober.
- They need Kim to kill two armoured mercenaries in the tribunal.
- They need Joyce to be exactly powerful enough to stop white pines from hiring more mercs to kill the union, but powerless enough to not be able to stop white pines from hiring lelty's mercs in the first place

And the reason for this convoluted plan that could fail at any point is uh... because lynchings are more provocative than shootings and the Evrarts can't find anyone amongst their thousands of followers willing to kill a merc?

And this is coming from Evrart, whose idea of a smart plan is to give you a form to fill in and hope you don't forge the signature? He's not a *wizard* for god's sake.

EDIT: If you want crazy theories, I'd rather believe Gary did it.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 3, 2019

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Fangz posted:

They need to control literally every player.

snip

Not gonna go through these one by one but they're a mixture of don't need, obviously already control and repetition of the same people. As for the finale:

"And the reason for this convoluted plan that could fail at any point is uh... because lynchings are more provocative than shootings" - this is all you need, ditch the rest. And yes, the point is to get the mercs mad enough to go wild and stop responding to WP orders. If you've only got one shot at that then murdering and lynching their CO whilst he's off duty, in a bar they thought was safe, claiming it was justice for a rape that never happened, and then leaving the body hanging in the wind for a few days is a pretty good way to go about it. Much better than just shooting someone in the street.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Lelty literally is a rapist. They raped and murdered their way through several countries. I don't know where you got the idea that the specifics of how he died (oh no, false rape accusation??!?) is central to riling the rest of the mercs up. If he got shot in the face, the others are not going to go "oh yeah that's okay".

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

it is to be fair an extremely improbable and extremely improbably convenient murder, but both those elements are standard rails of the mystery genre, and for a reason. Without the latter you don't have alternate suspects, and without the former you don't have much of a mystery.

All that said I don't think it's impossible the expansion will throw a wrench in the current resolution

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Fangz posted:

Lelty literally is a rapist. They raped and murdered their way through several countries. I don't know where you got the idea that the specifics of how he died (oh no, false rape accusation??!?) is central to riling the rest of the mercs up. If he got shot in the face, the others are not going to go "oh yeah that's okay".

Weird point to focus on but okay - he's specifically accused of raping Klaasje and his lynching is justified by the Hardie boys and the Union under that banner. Klaasje later tells you it's made up, the other mercs are well aware of this. It's part of the combined theatrical lynching that is designed to infuriate the mercs. If one of them gets shot in the face in the street they *might* freak out or they might react more tactically, they are soldiers after all. They might go back to WP for backup or complain that they've been spotted or something. They've lost a guy to enemy action, it happens.

On the other hand if they lose their commanding officer whilst he was on downtime and hanging out with a woman they thought wasn't a threat, in a bar they thought was safe, then the body gets strung up and the Union is making propaganda hay out of the fact he was raping women in Martinaise, *that's* more likely to get their ire up. Make them freak our and turn on the locals.

If you really don't see how the two things might be perceived differently to soldiers stationed in a foreign country I really don't know how to break it down any further.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If one of them gets shot in the face in the street they *might* freak out or they might react more tactically, they are soldiers after all. They might go back to WP for backup or complain that they've been spotted or something. They've lost a guy to enemy action, it happens.

"In his free time, he enjoyed firing mortars at random coordinates in the general direction of villages, wiping out civilians at random. Ellis Kortenaer could harness the unstable, volatile personality and keep him contained, usually with a minimal amount of violence: In one instance, he contained his squad and prevented Ruud from going off and murdering a hundred random Semenese civilians by having them kill and rape just one of them."

"hey guys, what if these mercs are *too* professional"

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 3, 2019

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I reloaded a save to complete Necktie's arc after learning that you could use it as a molotov in the tribunal, and now have turned that into my canon. Godspeed, Joopson AS Men's Fashion, model "Colourful Tie", Catalogue number J327.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Out of curiosity What the heck does your tie say if you miss

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Also what stat is used to get a talkative neck wear? I've been using a very horrible tie myself but it never tells me its secrets.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

staplegun posted:

I reloaded a save to complete Necktie's arc after learning that you could use it as a molotov in the tribunal, and now have turned that into my canon. Godspeed, Joopson AS Men's Fashion, model "Colourful Tie", Catalogue number J327.

I spent so much time googling that catalog number

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Out of curiosity What the heck does your tie say if you miss

It's actually kind of sad sequence if you fail it, here's all of the text:

Kim also brings up something about you missing the throw and then saying *bratan* to yourself a bunch before getting shot. I think that's pretty much everything.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

The reason I'm asking if there's a totally obvious solution to all this that I didn't get, is that I didn't take the pheremone spray or mind-merge with the stick insect so if this is all hocus-pocus psychic garbage I wouldn't know.[/spoiler]

You actually did miss something, although I'm not sure you'll find it very satisfying: The phasmid implies that long term exposure to the pheromones that make it invisible to most people has been seriously loving up the deserter's brain chemistry. It probably made him obsess more over Klaasje and thus be more likely to be watching her through the scope and more likely to take the shot to kill the guy he's ideologically opposed to and murderously jealous of.

I just read an hilariously challenging book, Fredric Jameson's Raymond Chandler: The Detections of Totality, on a friend's recommendation. One of the things he says about Chandler is that Chandler's plots are enormous shell games - Marlow is always looking for someone missing who's actually been dead the whole time, looking for someone's killer when they've been alive the whole time, something like that. Jameson argues (something along the lines of) that these plots work because the hardboiled detective story is different from the classic, Agatha Christie style whodunnit. Where a whodunnit is extremely tightly constructed, deeply rationalist, a completely considered puzzle, and only has extraneous details as deliberate red herrings a hardboiled story has chaos, incident, and violent episodes that are motivated by the protagonist's search but not directly tied into the object of the search. He essentially says that the object of the hardboiled detective's search is a scaffolding to hang the exploration of various social realities, in that it motivates him to talk to a wide range of people and understand the psychological and sociological forces that motivate them. IMO this fits perfectly with Disco Elysium. The game is really fundamentally about Revenchol, Martinesse, the strike, the pale, and the protagonist's mental baggage. The murder is in many ways completely incidental, simply a motivating force to tell the stories of the things the game's really interested in combining and exploding.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

You actually did miss something, although I'm not sure you'll find it very satisfying: The phasmid implies that long term exposure to the pheromones that make it invisible to most people has been seriously loving up the deserter's brain chemistry. It probably made him obsess more over Klaasje and thus be more likely to be watching her through the scope and more likely to take the shot to kill the guy he's ideologically opposed to and murderously jealous of.

I just read an hilariously challenging book, Fredric Jameson's Raymond Chandler: The Detections of Totality, on a friend's recommendation. One of the things he says about Chandler is that Chandler's plots are enormous shell games - Marlow is always looking for someone missing who's actually been dead the whole time, looking for someone's killer when they've been alive the whole time, something like that. Jameson argues (something along the lines of) that these plots work because the hardboiled detective story is different from the classic, Agatha Christie style whodunnit. Where a whodunnit is extremely tightly constructed, deeply rationalist, a completely considered puzzle, and only has extraneous details as deliberate red herrings a hardboiled story has chaos, incident, and violent episodes that are motivated by the protagonist's search but not directly tied into the object of the search. He essentially says that the object of the hardboiled detective's search is a scaffolding to hang the exploration of various social realities, in that it motivates him to talk to a wide range of people and understand the psychological and sociological forces that motivate them. IMO this fits perfectly with Disco Elysium. The game is really fundamentally about Revenchol, Martinesse, the strike, the pale, and the protagonist's mental baggage. The murder is in many ways completely incidental, simply a motivating force to tell the stories of the things the game's really interested in combining and exploding.

I agree with this totally.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that's pretty much what i said last page, yeah

you could look at Chinatown or Michael Chabon's novel The Yiddish Policemen's Union for similar examples

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The whole conspiracy and resolution are perfect in how frustrating it all turns out. The timing of the murder lit the fuse of a powderkeg of opportunists with agendas, with real loss for basically everyone involved. Everyone is sympathetic for one reason or another, everyone is trying to do right, but nobody trusts each other. Only Harry the human can-opener supercop is able to bring all the pieces (and people) together, but just as he's about to bridge those gaps and solve the case, the Mercs take matters into their own hands (which is very understandable with Raul being Ellis's brother on top of everything else). We know that everybody at the Tribunal is innocent, and the Krenel mercs would have seen the justice they wanted if they'd waited just a moment longer. But everyone had their reasons for acting the way they did... the conflict was inevitable.

And then you finally get to the island after it doesn't matter anymore, find the Deserter with an orgy of evidence, and a much sadder story than you'd have ever guessed at. You close the case, but it's too late and nobody actually cares that you had the right answer, except for Kim. If you wanted to be a hero and save everyone, too bad, you were a cop instead.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

Also what stat is used to get a talkative neck wear? I've been using a very horrible tie myself but it never tells me its secrets.

Inland Empire

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Insufficiently haggard, but nails the Expression.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Megazver posted:

4/5, not quite enough tragic sad cop energy

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

multijoe posted:

1/5, no necktie

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Infinite Karma posted:

The whole conspiracy and resolution are perfect in how frustrating it all turns out. The timing of the murder lit the fuse of a powderkeg of opportunists with agendas, with real loss for basically everyone involved. Everyone is sympathetic for one reason or another, everyone is trying to do right, but nobody trusts each other. Only Harry the human can-opener supercop is able to bring all the pieces (and people) together, but just as he's about to bridge those gaps and solve the case, the Mercs take matters into their own hands (which is very understandable with Raul being Ellis's brother on top of everything else). We know that everybody at the Tribunal is innocent, and the Krenel mercs would have seen the justice they wanted if they'd waited just a moment longer. But everyone had their reasons for acting the way they did... the conflict was inevitable.

And then you finally get to the island after it doesn't matter anymore, find the Deserter with an orgy of evidence, and a much sadder story than you'd have ever guessed at. You close the case, but it's too late and nobody actually cares that you had the right answer, except for Kim. If you wanted to be a hero and save everyone, too bad, you were a cop instead.

Good post.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Infinite Karma posted:

Well I mean having the right answer is one of those things that shuts up your put upon task force, and also it gives you leverage to gently caress up the day of some really terrible people, and also you stopped a dude going insane and totally comfortable with popping heads, and you justified your continued existence as a human being, and about nine other things.

So, you know, not all that meaningless really.

e: And hey, who doesn't like being right? High fives all around.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 3, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Mulva posted:

Well I mean having the right answer is one of those things that shuts up your put upon task force, and also it gives you leverage to gently caress up the day of some really terrible people, and also you stopped a dude going insane and totally comfortable with popping heads, and you justified your continued existence as a human being, and about nine other things.

So, you know, not all that meaningless really.

e: And hey, who doesn't like being right? High fives all around.
Not meaningless at all, just kind of a gut-punch. I felt hollow afterwards, like I was helpless to really affect much. It really made me identify with Harry who's this insane genius carrying around all kinds of pain, because I did save who I could, it just wasn't enough.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Infinite Karma posted:

Not meaningless at all, just kind of a gut-punch. I felt hollow afterwards, like I was helpless to really affect much. It really made me identify with Harry who's this insane genius carrying around all kinds of pain, because I did save who I could, it just wasn't enough.

It was, though. Whatever you did to save someone is still more than would have happened if Harry had just listened to the Ancient Reptilian Brain and stayed in darkness away from any ex-whatevers or consciousness on the first day.

It's better that he got up. Even if you hoped you could have done more.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Infinite Karma posted:

I mean you are, effectively, a random fuckwit. Like any other cop. You are not a super-hero, you are not some secret agent. And you've been having a really bad few years. And yet you stand in front of those mercenaries, and you do what you can. If you do nothing a lot of people are going to die, and nobody will face the slightest bit of justice over it. If you do your best, you'll save the vast majority of them and stop the people trying to hurt them.

It's like the only thing you can't do is make everything literally perfect, because holy poo poo are can you fight way above your weight class if you do things right. Holding things to impossible standards leaves you a battered amnesiac, sometimes you have to take the win.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

it reminds me of a book called chronicle of a death foretold from gabriel garcia marquez where a guy gets killed and the real mystery is not who killed the guy but why no one managed to stop it. hell considering all the references to magical realism in the game it might even be an actual source of inspiration

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

babypolis posted:

it reminds me of a book called chronicle of a death foretold from gabriel garcia marquez where a guy gets killed and the real mystery is not who killed the guy but why no one managed to stop it. hell considering all the references to magical realism in the game it might even be an actual source of inspiration
ZA/UM has listed Kentucky Route Zero as an influence and KRZ is essentially Gabriel Garcia Marquez meets Flannery O'Connor: The Game, so yeah probably.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Infinite Karma posted:

nobody actually cares that you had the right answer, except for Kim.

gently caress, does cuno care?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

:golfclap:

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

multijoe posted:

2/5, needs more manic desperation in the eyes. And a disco necktie. And no shirt.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

absolutely wonderful post

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this is why I pay (every now and then) :tenbux: for SA

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Megazver posted:

Hello, Guillaume le Million.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Whew! Okay, it took me a little over 30 hours, but I finally beat this game for the first time and as you might imagine, I have some thoughts on it.

I want to start off by mentioning that this is not just the best game I’ve played all year, but one of the best games I’ve played this decade. For me it’s right up there with Witcher 3 and Stardew Valley. It’s that good. I know when a game makes an impression on me because, when I’m not playing it, I’m thinking about it all the time and I pretty much haven’t stopped thinking about it since I started playing it. I’m almost glad it’s over now so I can get back to studying for my CCNA.

A few minor gripes: there were more than a couple of spelling errors in the game’s text. I’m not going to make a big deal out of it considering how much dialogue there was and what was spelled correctly was magnificently written. It’s just that the spelling errors seemed to stand out more against the rest of the brilliant prose. Also, the game kept inviting me to get involved in its socio-political discussions and I’m open to that, but the lore of Revachol is surprisingly deep and there are so many new names to keep up with that it left me feeling reluctant to participate in the discussion to I wound up taking the moralist route (which in retrospect feels like a safe direction to take on a first playthrough). It wasn’t until about Wednesday did I start getting some lore dumps on the world, thanks in part to the Encyclopedia skill, but by then I was pretty much locked in to the moralist route. I’ll know better next time. I also wished that, in addition to having dedicated “restore health” and “restore morale” buttons, I could have been able to remap my key bindings.

Another critique I had was that (END GAME SPOILERS) for me at least, the ending was too abrupt. I don’t know how it ended for everyone else, but my game ended with me leaving the inlet after getting the old communard to confess to the crime and coming back inland to have both Kim and my original partner basically give me a dressing down regarding my performance. All things considered I think I did exceptionally well even though I did clearly miss a few things. Still, it took me by surprise how the game went straight to credits after that. Maybe because I finished Death Stranding, a game with a very drawn out ending, right before picking up Disco Elysium that caused the whiplash, but I would have preferred something of an epilogue to my story other than what I got, but maybe I just didn’t get the “true” ending. Who knows?

Also, and I’m not trying to toot my own horn here, the game was a bit easier than I anticipated it would be. Managing your health, morale and how much money you have was tough for the first few days but by the time I beat the game I had over 9 healing items for each category, seven skill points I hadn’t spent yet and over 100 real. I know it’s not some sort of survival horror game so managing these sorts of things aren’t as relevant here, but I did feel the game was lacking in challenge near the final stretch.

Also, what is the pale? It’s brought up a few times in the game and it sounds like a big freaking deal, but all I got was that it was related to some sort of strange imminent apocalyptic event.

And that’s it for the criticisms. Other than that I loved it and I easily recommend it to everyone I know who plays video games. I love thinking about this game, I love talking about this game and, most importantly, I love playing this game. This was a huge delight.

Also, here’s a rundown of how my first run went for anyone who is curious. Also, I’d like to get an opinion from anyone who has played the game and would like to offer some advice on how to go about a second playthrough…

First and foremost, and I think this might be the most important thing here, I discovered the bullet in Lely’s body during the field autopsy. It was a less than 10% chance to pass the Perception check, but due to sheer dumb luck I passed it by rolling double sixes and I think it might be the biggest and most important check I passed in my playthrough because who knows how long I would have gone before realizing it was there (if I even figured it out at all!). I think this lucky discovery is the one most significant thing I did that impacted how the story unfolded for me.

I got Cuno to spill the beans on his dad’s drugs. I went and got them, but didn’t split it with Cuno. Also, no, I didn’t use them either.

Actually, I didn’t use any drugs in my playthrough with the one exception where I used a cigarette to help me pass a Visual Calculus check (the one where the execution took place near the Feld building). This turned out, in the end, to be a smart move.

I unlocked that apartment door for Everet but nothing more. I didn’t trust the guy, not with finding my gun, not with anything. He’s too loving slimy. Hell, I regretted doing the ONE thing for him and that was before the game dinged me at the end for it.

In fact, I didn’t wind up finding my gun at all (which might be my biggest disappointment in this playthrough). I think I assumed the gun I got from Ruby was it since the pawn shop guy told me sold my gun to some woman who muttered about “pigs”. I assumed that was her and I got my gun back, but I guess I was wrong.

Oh, and Ruby shot herself before I could interview her proper (I’m equally disappointed in myself for not taking her alive). I was able to force myself to deactivate her pale-signal-wave-weapon-thingy with a 97% chance check however so that made me feel like a boss.

Klassje got away. I guess I should have spoken to her one more time before chasing Ruby down but whatever. Still got the perp.

Five the Hardie Boys died in the shootout with the mercs. I couldn’t save ‘em because all my checks during this part were like 20% or lower. I felt so loving helpless to save them and I was pissed I couldn’t stop the mercs. :(

Solved the mystery of the Doomed Commercial District! I’m sure no one gives a poo poo but…yay, I suppose.

Managed to eventually pass the Empathy check with Cuno and got him to confess that Conoesse was a killer of some kind. This really piqued my interest, but it ultimately went nowhere. I could barely get her to talk to me and Cuno didn’t elaborate.

Discovered the secret area in Whirling-in-Rags by finding the key to the blue door in the kitchen. This lead to me discovering the footprints and the hole in the wall.

Found the dead fella and had to break the news to the poor lady who hangs out at the book store that her husband had died. I’m so glad I didn’t fail this Empathy check. Watching that scene unfold, even if it was done exclusively through the use of written text, really moved me and I was impressed with how effective it was at making me feel without having to use professional voice actors and state-of-the-art face motion capture like Death Standing did (not hating on DS by the way, just making a point). It was one of those moments where I knew I was playing something amazing.

Found the case notes and ledger in the dumpster and managed to open the hidden compartment to find the card. I read it and Harry passed out before I could finish. Never did look any further in to it than that because I got so fixated on the murder case. Kinda wish I invested more time in to but whatever. Just more stuff to do in playthrough #2.

I gave Garte a new bird to replace the one I broke at the Whirling-in-Rags because I’m such a total bro.

Convinced Kim to join Precinct #41 at the end. :hellyeah:

360 spin kicked Measurehead in the loving face because gently caress that guy, that’s why!

Lastly, a few tips on playing that game that I would have given myself before starting for the first time (and any new players who may be reading this)…

Don’t tank any of your Stats to one, especially not Psyche and Physique. Endurance and Volition determine your health and morale respectively and you’re going to want to have that at about around two or three to realistically survive the first half of the game. You’ll get more healing items as you progress through the game (I was sitting on well over 10 of them for each by the end of the game) but for the start you’re going to want to have some breathing room for your health and morale.

Motorics is surprisingly useful. In fact, it might be the most useful Stat in the game. I invested more skill points in Motorics than any other category.

When you leave Whirling-in-Rags, go south and look for a couple of old timers playing a ball game. Talk to the one in the blue uniform. He offers a nice lore dump. Investing in Encyclopedia will offer some nice extra lore as you progress through the game. In fact, investing in Encyclopedia for a first playthrough is a pretty good idea in my book and it combos well with the Wompty-Dompty Dom Center thought.

When you get a new skill point, don’t spend it right away. Save it for when you need it, namely when you fail a white check or right before a red check that you really want to pass. By the time I beat the game I had about seven skill points saved up.

Don’t call the station regarding your missing gun and badge. Just…Just don’t. :smith:

Shivers is a really loving cool skill. It’s only occasionally useful, but it always has something cool to say when it pops up.

Hobocop is best cop.

And that’s all. I kind of hope they make a sequel to this game. I want to see the continued adventures of Kim and amnesiac hobocop and, on top of that, the world the game inhabits is fascinating and I wish we could have seen more of it. I’ve been up all night finishing this game and this post and now I’m ready to hit the sack. Not sure if anyone cares about all that stuff I just typed, but this game impressed me a lot and I had to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Macrame_God posted:

Also, what is the pale? It’s brought up a few times in the game and it sounds like a big freaking deal, but all I got was that it was related to some sort of strange imminent apocalyptic event.

It's not just a big deal, it's also a fact of life in the setting.

You get a breakdown on it from Joyce if you ask her about something fundamental. The Pale is basically a place where all history and memory of the past collects, except it's kind of like if a dream is physically intruding on reality, and within it the normal laws of physics don't really function. And the deeper you go, the further you're separated from reality as you know it, only to exist in memory. And it's a physical, topographical reality that covers the vast majority of the planet that Disco Elysium takes place in. To the point where continents and their associated oceanic shelves--isolas--are just chunks of the planet that are basically floating in a sea of Pale. If it were a sphere at some point, well, it's not anymore. It's broken up islands of reality floating in an ocean of memory hurtling through space I guess. Incidentally, because the laws of physics are so weak in the Pale, you don't fly through it normally with like wind resistance or sail through it like normal ships, you straight up fling craft through it the way you fling spacecraft through the void. That's why aircraft in setting are called aerostatics rather than airplanes--they're designed to both fly through the air under their own power as well as fling themselves ballistically from isola to isola.

The world of DE is existentially horrifying and people just sort of carry on with their lives, regardless, because that's what you do.

Runa fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 4, 2019