Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Can you Coordinate off a Coordinate?

If you can, can Sai Coordinate a Decimator to Coordinate another Decimator and then re-Coordinate the first Deci?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
You cannot do the same action twice in one turn so no?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

Can you Coordinate off a Coordinate?

If you can, can Sai Coordinate a Decimator to Coordinate another Decimator and then re-Coordinate the first Deci?

Yes. The limiter is that a ship can’t take the same action twice.

This can be really useful to Sai. Deci 1 can coordinate to Sai, who then coordinates the other deci, and then Sai’s ability kicks in, and the title too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I had a really interesting talk with my local group last night. We talked about competitive X-Wing, why we liked and/or didn't like it, and possible ways to maximize the things we like while minimizing those we don't.

With only a couple of minor exceptions (usually quibbling about details), everyone:

-Moving ships around (unless there are too many ships on the board all jumbled up)
-Rolling lots of dice

Dislikes
-Chewing through a bazillion HP
-Anything that can be construed as playing for time, including running away, huge bids/points fortresses, or actual fortressing (including a "mobile" fortress like quad 'vipers/phantoms/U-Wings)
-Every game goes to time

We all love casual nights, but that enthusiasm wanes when we moved to talking about playing in tournaments. About half our group has zero intention of playing competitively beyond the odd monthly league tournament.

We all agreed that all the bad stuff in competitive X-Wing comes from an intersection of the time limit, MoV, and final salvo. It is simply easier to build a list that can preserve points until time than it is to build a list that can reliably fight every variant of playing for time. Therefore, the more competitive the event, the more likely you are to see lists that are designed with the time limit in mind. A competitive game of X-Wing may only have 2-4 rounds of real, actual dogfighting, with double that or more spent just trying to be in the fight.

This is boring. No one likes those frustrating games where the other guy blows up half of one of your ships, and then just runs away forever, or where there's no way to approach the enemy without losing, but they win the final salvo if you don't.

The usual discussion happened. Should there be objectives? Different scoring rules? What would they look like? How would they be balanced? If any of y'all have participated in these kinds of discussions before, I'm sure you know how it went. No one really had answers to these.

But then I looked back at the things we liked vs the things we didn't, and I had an idea.

What if the problem with competitive X-Wing is that it's too big? The play area is too big; early this can encourage fortressing and later on it enables running. Players can field too many ships; this can create a slog.

What if we fundamentally tackled these issues?

Imagine a game mode that looks something like this:
- A legal list is 2-6 ships, 150 points max (alternately just increase the points of everything to make this happen organically)

- At set intervals, the playfield shrinks. You can easily accomplish this by adding a check at some point during a round, and applying a negative effect to any ship caught too close to a board edge. With each interval the penalty increases, or the playfield shrinks even further, or both. Exact interval, timing of the check within the round, and penalty is, of course, up for debate.

- Squad building could include cards that designate where certain obstacles go, where you can spawn, etc. This could potentially be a way to help ace pilots spawn close enough to deal enough damage to jousty squads to accomplish something before the playfield shrinks too much for them to avoid every arc every round.

- Point costs would undoubtedly have to change to accommodate this.

Yes, the shrinking playfield is cribbed from Battle Royale games like Fortnight, but honestly the shrinking play area is the only reason those games work at all. They'd be boring as poo poo if the winning move was to just camp in a remote spot until everyone got bored or a time limit elapsed...which is basically the same problem that competitive X-Wing has.

This is by no means perfect, but the group got really excited last night, and I wonder if it would be worth delving into it/testing it more.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hmm im not sure a shrinking map really solves many of those issues. If you can mobile fortress in a 3x3 you can do it in a 2.5 or 2x2. It just makes it even harder to approach the fortresser from multiple angles. And (at least to me.) it takes away from the thematic aspect of the game. For what its worth Star Trek:Attack Wing also had a tournament scenario with shrinking maps, and others with forbidden type zones(an NPC shoots you if you go here) ect and all it really did was further limit the amount of viable ships to those with the best dials.

I'd personally like to see 2-3 things happen.

1) Generic ships (with a few exceptions) all go down in price across the board. Or some sort of price discount for a list with all the same ship type.

2) Damage output going up. Something like the bullseye arc automatically has the effect of canceling an evade result for every ship.

3)Regen: Gone. Make Heroic non faction specific but limit it to ships with 3-4 hull and maybe 1 shield. Something with 7HP and access to regen should not have Heroic.

Long shots i'd like that will prob never happen.

1)Armada style movement order. Want your Init 6 Luke to block this turn? Sure, move him first. Want your 1hp rookie pilot to survive? Move him last and arc dodge.

2)More Slam type movement effects to better show the speed difference between ships. An Azituck, aside from lacking a 1 hard and 5 forward, is identical in maneuvering to an Interceptor?

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 22, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

banned from Starbucks posted:

2) Damage output going up. Something like the bullseye arc automatically has the effect of canceling an evade result for every ship.

One of the best things 2e did was make combat more dangerous by taking away token stacking effects. 4 waves in I think they didn't go far enough

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Article for next year's System Open series is out.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/11/22/burning-skies/

Looking forward to that sweet Inferno Squadron swag.

Interestingly, the main Open events are moving to hyperspace format, and Hyperspace Qualifiers are turning in to extended format events.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

I kinda like the idea of the shrinking map, but you'd have to build a whole lot of cards/mechanics around that to the point where it would hardly be the same game anymore.

My thought is to have games that go to time award the win to the side that dealt more damage total (this actually kinda nerfs regen, as it allows your opponent to deal more damage overall) but this requires players to keep track of damage dealt.

Either that or just drop the time limit entirely. I know that sounds insane and every TO is already calling for my head, but I've been a TO/judge in other games for many years, and in all the testing we've ever done, extending or removing the time limit paradoxically leads to shorter games on average, because "running out the clock" becomes less/not viable, and people have to actually play to win. Sure you'll occasionally get some chucklefuck who wants to test the rules and run away forever, but you can just add a clause to the effect of "after X rounds with no combat a judge is called and if you're still intentionally avoiding combat for Y more turns you get the loss".

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

LanceKing2200 posted:

I kinda like the idea of the shrinking map, but you'd have to build a whole lot of cards/mechanics around that to the point where it would hardly be the same game anymore.

Warmachine does this, not sure why it would be difficult to adapt: "At the beginning of round X and every round thereafter, every ship within range 3 of any table edge gets 1 facedown damage card." Sounds like it could be neat.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Getting rid of the time limit would change everything and I would be all for it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Limit lists to 24 total hull/shields max.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Funzo posted:

Article for next year's System Open series is out.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/11/22/burning-skies/

Looking forward to that sweet Inferno Squadron swag.

:monocle: Inferno Swagdron.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I got an 80 points Aces High tournament coming up.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Leaning towards Norra y-wing with dorsal turret, lone wolf, protorps, r2-d2, and han gunner.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 3, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I got an 80 points Aces High tournament coming up.

Thoughts?

A big gun that shoots last can get a lot of points by sniping wounded ships. I've had a TON of success with a Lothal Rebel with Hera Crew, Saw Crew, and a hull upgrade

It's chunky enough that everyone has to work together to kill it (and only the person who hits it first and hits it last gets any points), shoots late enough with massive dice mods to snipe things, and if it dies, just respawns to wreak havoc once again.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Not that I'm in any danger of actually playing an Epic game any time soon, but I was noodling around with a themed list:

Outer Rim Garrison (60)
Targeting Battery (9)
GNK “Gonk” Droid (10)
Agile Gunner (8)
Optimized Power Core (6)
Tibanna Reserves (3)

Patrol Leader (68)
Proton Torpedoes (13)
Skilled Bombardier (2)
Proximity Mines (6)
Munitions Failsafe (1)

Rho Squadron Pilot (35)
Saturation Salvo (6)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (13)
Proton Rockets (7)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Rho Squadron Pilot (35)
Saturation Salvo (6)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (13)
Proton Rockets (7)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (13)
Proton Rockets (7)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Omicron Group Pilot (43)
Fire-Control System (2)
Jamming Beam (0)
ISB Slicer (3)
GNK “Gonk” Droid (10)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Storm Squadron Ace (40)
Elusive (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Rockets (7)
Afterburners (6)
Total: 492

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Rationale: The Gozanti has a tiny little reactor, so I wanted upgrades that would counter this as well as avoid piling on opportunities to spend energy it hasn't got.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Are they making Epic part of the competitive scene? Because if not it feels like a waste of time to make since I doubt it’ll see much play.

How many people played 1.0 epic?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Everyone played exactly one game of 1.0 epic

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My local playgroup has been going nuts about Epic and it's all they'll play since the 2.0 release.

Coincidentally I haven't played much since then.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

smug jeebus posted:

I played two! It was one too many.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

I played two! It was one too many.

I played none. It's all fine again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rhjamiz posted:

Are they making Epic part of the competitive scene? Because if not it feels like a waste of time to make since I doubt it’ll see much play.

How many people played 1.0 epic?

It’s massively popular with the casual crowd in my play group and every other play group I’m somewhat familiar with.

They all say things like:
It’s not competitive, but they don’t care, because holy poo poo that Raider looks amazing and I can fly flights of ties with ease!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I don't know if they'll have competitive events, but I wouldn't be surprosed to see some side events at Adepticon at the very least. Are they running anything at PAX Unplugged?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

smug jeebus posted:

Or at least .75 of a game before just going through the motions (and 45 minutes) of the final .25 because the ending was so spelled out it hurt.

Epic is boring as balls, and I'd rather play 3 games of X-Wing in the time it takes to play 1 game of EPIC!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Epic 2.0 is...pretty good. It moves really fast and generally is engaging. Most games have one epic ship and 1-3 wings of fighters. The movement phase is very quick in comparison to first edition.

The wing movement tool is frankly the reason it works. It takes slightly longer to move one wing than one ship, but less time than it takes to move a swarm one ship at a time.

It maximizes the time you spend rolling dice and shouting pew pew and minimizes the wait time while then other guy makes movement and movement related decisions

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
Epic is really fun! Field a tricked-out Raider with ordinance tubes and PDS cannons, slap Grand Moff Tarkin on it and laugh maniacally while you drop twelve target locks from your 2 Academy Pilot wings on some hapless ship.

I won't play without a scenario though. Some guys in my group like to blast down to the very last ship, which can still take 3 to 4 hours. None of the scenarios I've played have taken more than 2 and a half.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

E. Nesbit posted:

Epic is really fun! Field a tricked-out Raider with ordinance tubes and PDS cannons, slap Grand Moff Tarkin on it and laugh maniacally while you drop twelve target locks from your 2 Academy Pilot wings on some hapless ship.

I won't play without a scenario though. Some guys in my group like to blast down to the very last ship, which can still take 3 to 4 hours. None of the scenarios I've played have taken more than 2 and a half.

How the blazes is "kill everything" taking 3-4 hours? My group (of admittedly long-time players) is more like 2ish.

I haven't done the scenarios yet.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

ConfusedUs posted:

How the blazes is "kill everything" taking 3-4 hours? My group (of admittedly long-time players) is more like 2ish.

I haven't done the scenarios yet.

Maybe we're bad?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Team Epic event is back at Adepticon this year :woop:

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Bit of a basic question: I haven't played the game myself but it looks fun and I thought of getting it for my brother in law. Now I'm wondering how many core sets and additional stuff I should get for him to be able to play with his family?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

You can probably get away with a single core set. He'll have a single set of range rulers/templates and only one damage deck, but that's not a big deal for friendly games. You're stuck playing 1 X-Wing against 2 TIE fighters though. From there, it's a matter of getting the ships you want to play with.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I would recommend at least picking up a TIE Advanced X1 to get Vader. An additional X-wing and Tie Fighter pack isn't a bad idea either since they give you additional pilots for those ships that aren't in the starter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I found a sale and now I put together a squad with Anakin, Ahsoka and two Torrents please send help.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'd recommend swapping ani for obi wan

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Devlan Mud posted:

Team Epic event is back at Adepticon this year :woop:

Winner will get 2 prize wall tickets for 3 hours of play.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Thanks that's helpful, will look into getting one core set and some sweet additional ships!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'd recommend swapping ani for obi wan

Thanks for the tip. This is what I'm going to try tomorrow:

Obi-Wan Kenobi (47)
R2 Astromech (6)
Delta-7B (19)

Ahsoka Tano (47)
Battle Meditation (6)
Delta-7B (17)

Blue Squadron Protector (28)
Dedicated (1)

Blue Squadron Protector (28)
Dedicated (1)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I really like the idea of Ahsoka and the Torrents working together while Obi-Wan does his thing.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

A big gun that shoots last can get a lot of points by sniping wounded ships. I've had a TON of success with a Lothal Rebel with Hera Crew, Saw Crew, and a hull upgrade

It's chunky enough that everyone has to work together to kill it (and only the person who hits it first and hits it last gets any points), shoots late enough with massive dice mods to snipe things, and if it dies, just respawns to wreak havoc once again.

This is 83 points. It's 81 even without the hull upgrade. I like the direction this is going in. Any other similar Aces High builds?

Edit: Swapping Chopper crew in for Hera gets it to 80 for a similar-ish idea. Choppering your first health away is a great way to get people not to shoot at you too.

canyonero fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 16, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah I somehow thought saw was 8 and Hera 2. My bad.

You can get a hawk up to around 80 and have a bazillion tokens at all times.

A TIE reaper with Vader can get a lot of first blood points.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Can Jan Ors' ability work on herself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Can Jan Ors' ability work on herself?

No. A ship is not in it's own firing arc. Which is why Kanan sucks a fat load of rear end in 2.0