Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's incredibly, absurdly popular, along with a lot of other anime and video games. Fighting games in particular have a huge and dedicated fanbase around Latin America. Was a bit funny a few years ago when games journalists were going to go pith-helmet reporting on a fighting game tournament then backed away slowly when they realised the crowd was way more poor and non-white than a bunch of bay area bloggers.

Is that why Mexican Goku was such a thing on saltybet? I distinctly remember losing a bunch of funbucks and then being told i shouldn't have slept on the Mexi-beam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Latin America loves but two things: DBZ and Morrissey

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I know that back in the day German metal bands were more popular in South America that anywhere else outside of Germany. Especially in Brazil.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Literally every kid my age in Venezuela watched either Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya.

I think it was a combination of there not being that many other cartoons airing every day after school (most of the American ones were stuck airing weekends), a pretty decent translation effort (for the time) and the massive amount of Chinese knockoff cheap toys. Not many could afford a gi-joe but a piece of plastic coloured to look like Goku went for the price of two arepas.

I also suspect licencing them was cheaper than american cartoons so you'd see more and more anime on tv as time went on.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Lobok posted:

"If" Goku beats Jiren? I'm assuming they were ready to lose money for the sake of promotion.

That or they did it for the second to last episode

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder how that played out because while Goku didn't lose to Jiren, he certainly didn't beat him.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

There have been legit international incidents caused by mexico v toei due to poo poo like this, like, to the point where the ambassadors of japan and mexico had to get involved.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's incredibly, absurdly popular, along with a lot of other anime and video games. Fighting games in particular have a huge and dedicated fanbase around Latin America. Was a bit funny a few years ago when games journalists were going to go pith-helmet reporting on a fighting game tournament then backed away slowly when they realised the crowd was way more poor and non-white than a bunch of bay area bloggers.

Amusingly I've heard KOF is way more popular than Street Fighter with the Latinx community

KOF is way harder to pick up, skill wise

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Paladinus posted:

I know that back in the day German metal bands were more popular in South America that anywhere else outside of Germany. Especially in Brazil.

They love them some Iron Maiden if YouTube is to be believed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QEb0iZ9uxc

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Nalesh posted:

There have been legit international incidents caused by mexico v toei due to poo poo like this, like, to the point where the ambassadors of japan and mexico had to get involved.

I'd unironically love to read more about this.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Found this from a quick google, seems like they hit most of the major parts of it.

https://torrentfreak.com/japanese-govt-intervention-fails-to-stop-mass-dragon-ball-super-piracy-180319/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

alexandriao posted:

I don't agree with this but tbh if the kid is ramming a snowman fast enough to kill him if he hits a fire hydrant that's... kinda his fault. What if there were a kid around or something. What if grandpa was putting out the trash. What if he lost control and careened into someone's house. I mean we had that happen in the UK and our houses are brick and mortar and it was bad, but apparently Americans build houses out of wood n poo poo so that's even more dangerous.

We heard the story of the Three Little Pigs and thought those first two pigs had some good ideas, okay.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

"cost effective"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Groda posted:

Yeah, so what's the deal with Latin America and Dragonball Z? Has that always been a thing?

Latin America is the biggest consumer of anime and manga outside of Japan and the surrounding regions. It is a big thing there.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Groda posted:

Yeah, so what's the deal with Latin America and Dragonball Z? Has that always been a thing?

They had over ten thousand people in Mexico City watching the last episode of Dragon Ball Super broadcasted on jumbotrons a few years back, saying it is a bit thing is the understatement of the century.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

A lower-class being becomes super powerful and defeats a foreign invader-prince, a galactic landlord, and a smug prick who won't stop talking about how perfect they are. Can't imagine why that'd be popular in a chronically abused and colonized place of the world. :P

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Latin America is the biggest consumer of anime and manga outside of Japan and the surrounding regions. It is a big thing there.

The big thing is that in the 80s and 90s people were crazy for anime in here but the selection was literally 3 or 4 series (probably very expensive and shared distribution rights by latin america public tv broadcasters), so that's what everyone remembers as a kid. I imagine other countries had a wider selection

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E6sCzjEQdY

Pretty sure each video was a different location.

https://twitter.com/MrOppaiSenpai/status/975213139708010496

Admiral Joeslop has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Dec 3, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RatHat posted:

Depends on how you define "beat". Goku isn't technically the one who knocks out Jiren so I'm sure that caused a lot of angry people.

So there were lots of angry, horny men ogling women and arguing about technicalities in anime. drat, that Mexican strip club perfectly recreated the Internet experience in person.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Neito posted:

A lower-class being becomes super powerful and defeats a foreign invader-prince, a galactic landlord, and a smug prick who won't stop talking about how perfect they are. Can't imagine why that'd be popular in a chronically abused and colonized place of the world. :P

Similarly, the Danish comedy movie series Olsenbanden of the 1960s/70s, about a trio of working class criminals who try to steal from the rich and powerful, was super popular in the DDR.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Krankenstyle posted:

Similarly, the Danish comedy movie series Olsenbanden of the 1960s/70s, about a trio of working class criminals who try to steal from the rich and powerful, was super popular in the DDR.

Please be respectful, I lost a brother in that revolution.

*sob* They say near the end when he had lost his legs, he would kick his little bloody stumps around asking "Am I still dancin'? Tell me I'm still dancin', sarge!"

Bloody Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Dec 3, 2019

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Is this man's name Mr Boobs Teacher

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

mrpwase posted:

Is this man's name Mr Boobs Teacher

No. It's Titties Upperclassman.

(Sempai/Senpai means "Upperclassman" or "Person who's been here longer than me that I respect". Sensei means teacher. And yes, I know, trap sprung)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My son is ALSO named Mr Boobs Teacher

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

*flips chair around backwards* Just call me Boobs, Mr. Boobs Teacher is my dad.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hulk Hogan confirmed goon

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

HH as in Heil Hitler?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

HH as in Heil Hitler?

No, Hulk just likes to sign his tweets.

I mean, I get why you would think that, but it's not.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neito posted:

No, Hulk just likes to sign his tweets.

I mean, I get why you would think that, but it's not.

I'm gonna get a Twitter account and post "DSYP" at Hulk Hogan.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Amusingly I've heard KOF is way more popular than Street Fighter with the Latinx community

look at it this way, you're an establishment in latin america that is interested in buying an arcade cabinet. would you rather buy one street fighter 2 cab, or a Neo Geo MVS for cheaper that has 4 games which you can then cycle in and out for cheaper (or free if you know the right people cough cough) than it would be to buy new boards for the SF2 machine any time it gets updated

KOF is also megapopular in China.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Phlegmish posted:

They love them some Iron Maiden if YouTube is to be believed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QEb0iZ9uxc

Maiden is pretty lovable tbh

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Paladinus posted:

its the nazi blood all over argentina and brazil that caused this.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

I’m sorry? I thought Olsenbanden was a norwegian thing😱

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

bröther may I have some pööps?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Biplane posted:

I’m sorry? I thought Olsenbanden was a norwegian thing😱
Olsen-banden is originally Danish, with Norway making its own version (Olsenbanden, no hyphen). There's also the Swedish Jönssonligan.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Holy gently caress

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hulk "Brown" Hogan

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

God didn't create those 24-inch pythons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

El Gallinero Gros posted:

SNK and a Mexican developer made Rage of the Dragons, the semi-official Double Dragon sequel, and it's one of the hardest goddamn fighting games I've ever played. What's kind of great about it though is you actually can get good at it unlike a lot of the bullshit hard SF2 knockoffs from back in the day, it's a really odd little piece of history.