Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

Would a Pong work on a modern TV?

If you have coax on your TV and use a 300ohm-to-75ohm converter, maybe! Most of those old Pong console used 300ohm flat antenna leads.

edit: antenna adapter snype
https://www.amazon.ca/Fancasee-Matching-Transformer-Converter-Connector/dp/B07FXJBT1Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

And if your TV doesn't have any sort of tuner built in, you can plug the console into something that does have a tuner like an old VCR and then hook that up to the TV.

For consoles like the 2600 that put out RF over a single cable with an RCA connector on the end, you want an adapter like this. https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-2-Pack-F-Type-Adapter-Commodore/dp/B06XSL31B3/

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

stevewm posted:

Moon Raiders (Moon Attack?, I forgot... it was a almost space invaders like game).
Moon Patrol seems most likely maybe? though I also instantly thought of Demon Attack when specifically thinking about a game being more like Space Invaders.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
There are also a ton of cheap kits on eBay (like $10 or less) that let you convert older RF only consoles to composite output. (Just an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-7800-Composite-Video-Audio-Mod-AV-Kit-Assembled/174074922741?hash=item2887ac86f5:g:oGUAAOSwRSBdsRvd) The 2600 and 7800 both have readily available kits to do so.

stevewm has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Dec 3, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

Moon Patrol seems most likely maybe? though I also instantly thought of Demon Attack when specifically thinking about a game being more like Space Invaders.

Demon Attack is it! It just kept getting harder and harder as you went on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And yet I played the poo poo out of it. It was so so bad. And I'm pretty sure half my gifts that year were ET themed. It was kind of a big deal that year. But it's ok because I like Reese's Pieces

I did however like the Raiders of the Lost Ark game, and it too was probably judged harshly by the critics.

As long as you don't say "reesees piecees"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Cojawfee posted:

As long as you don't say "reesees piecees"

So would you say you hate reesees to piecees?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reesees feces

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/1201561434343329795

I honestly look forward to this all year.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AVGN had a pretty good "pong consoles" episode years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvT8jG1OVdI

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

What's the explanation for why so many of those ran on batteries by default? Was it really as simple as screwing people into buying more things separately? Were AC adapters expensive things back then?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Actually, yeah.

These days everyone uses switched‐mode power supplies (SMPS) which use a handful of “jellybean” circuit components.

Back then, they would have used linear power supplies with relatively bulky and expensive transformer.

The Apple II was pioneering in using a SMPS in 1977, but I don’t think it saved them any money, just bulk. The necessary components are much cheaper now, thanks to miniaturisation, economies of scale, and maturing manufacturing technologies.

The modern equivalent in penny pinching is not including a power supply at all and expecting the customer not to be too upset because they own numerous USB‐compatible supplies already. IIRC Amazon did that with the four‐hundred‐dollar Kindle in 2007.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

stevewm posted:

Demon Attack is it! It just kept getting harder and harder as you went on.
Yay! That was the only Space Invaderslike I ever actually enjoyed. Though I played the Atari 8-bit version, and I have no idea how good the 2600 one was. Though clearly as a young child any of them would be amazing

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Back then, they would have used linear power supplies with relatively bulky and expensive transformer.

Thanks, that makes sense and now I'm probably going to spend all night reading about how power supplies work.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Raise your hand if you've ever carried a cheaply made linear power supply outside by the cord as they internally went into nuclear meltdown. Spitting and sputtering and stinking of burned PCB until you tossed it on the driveway so it could cool off so you didn't set the dumpster on fire. 99% of them were bulletproof, but man, that 1% of cheap garbage...

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RC and Moon Pie posted:

AVGN had a pretty good "pong consoles" episode years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvT8jG1OVdI

Clicked on this thinking it was lgr

That was a rude awakening

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lotion Tester posted:

What's the explanation for why so many of those ran on batteries by default? Was it really as simple as screwing people into buying more things separately? Were AC adapters expensive things back then?

Didn't need to be approved by the electrical things authority.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Dec 4, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

Raise your hand if you've ever carried a cheaply made linear power supply outside by the cord as they internally went into nuclear meltdown. Spitting and sputtering and stinking of burned PCB until you tossed it on the driveway so it could cool off so you didn't set the dumpster on fire. 99% of them were bulletproof, but man, that 1% of cheap garbage...

I just had to do this about a month ago.. The cheap eBay soldering station I bought 9 years ago finally went up in smoke.. literally.. As I was soldering a large wire onto a battery tab, copious amounts of smoke started pouring out the back. I grabbed it by the cord, ripped it out of the wall, and threw it out in the front yard. Later examination revealed the transformer had went into meltdown.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Didn't need to be approved by the electrical things authority.

Do you mean Underwriters?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It still blows my mind that the NES used AC power and had some huge loving device inside it to convert it to DC instead of just using a DC power brick.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

It's the same circuitry that would have been in the power brick. It doesn't really matter where you put it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

It still blows my mind that the NES used AC power and had some huge loving device inside it to convert it to DC instead of just using a DC power brick.

Not sure where you get this... The original NES uses a 9VAC power adapter and has a bridge rectifier with a 17805 (yes, 17805, not 7805, but a common repair is to replace it with a 7805) 5v internal linear voltage regulator to drop it down. In fact it will actually work on a DC power supply as well.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, the biggest part was the transformer, which was actually in the (fairly large) NES brick. Except for the small rectifier that was already mentioned, they didn't move much else to the console itself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neito posted:

Do you mean Underwriters?

IDK? There's an authority in the 70s, 80s, and 90s in every market that had to approve everything that was plugged into mains power, but if you did a thing that was battery-powered then they had no say in the matter.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

IDK? There's an authority in the 70s, 80s, and 90s in every market that had to approve everything that was plugged into mains power, but if you did a thing that was battery-powered then they had no say in the matter.

Probably these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UL_(safety_organization)

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ughh, I have bad memories as a kid of those C and D size batteries never knowing which one if any had charge. When they did they only lasted an hour. Ni-Cd were so bad, "Rechargeable" was more of a suggestion.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Ughh, I have bad memories as a kid of those C and D size batteries never knowing which one if any had charge. When they did they only lasted an hour. Ni-Cd were so bad, "Rechargeable" was more of a suggestion.
*Christmas morning, wrong batteries

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"batteries not included".

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I have memories of shoving in a random mix of whatever AAs, Cs, an Ds were available (usually the dogshit grade non-alkaline "heavy duty" type that died in 5 minutes) and shimming as needed with aluminum foil. Then upgrading to "rechargeable" batteries that would lose 80% of their charge from sitting on a shelf for a day.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Fond memories of finally upgrading to ni-cads as a kid. Even if they were poo poo it owned so hard playing the gameboy or walkman without fear of running out.

Being thread-appropriate I, of course, bought my first ni-cads and charger using Beenz vouchers :c00lbutt:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eneloops were the poo poo for a few years between the proliferation of battery‐powered devices and lithium ions trickling down from cell phones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Eneloops are still cool and good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Getting a big box of Pro Cell AAs as part of Christmas in the 90s was a glorious thing.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rza7rxmfOrw

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What's really hosed up is that I grew up with the energizer bunny. Energizer's thing was the energizer rabbit that kept going and going. A few weeks ago, I saw a Duracell ad that had a pink bunny on it. I thought "wtf is that" and looked it up. Apparently Duracell used this pink bunny as a mascot in the early 80s to show off their batteries. Then Energizer copied the ad with their own pink bunny and then kept using it.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

What's really hosed up is that I grew up with the energizer bunny. Energizer's thing was the energizer rabbit that kept going and going. A few weeks ago, I saw a Duracell ad that had a pink bunny on it. I thought "wtf is that" and looked it up. Apparently Duracell used this pink bunny as a mascot in the early 80s to show off their batteries. Then Energizer copied the ad with their own pink bunny and then kept using it.

I was in the uk a few weeks ago and saw the duracell pink bunny, I thought it was a uk thing. Real admiral crunch moment

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvHtKcS1POk

The only true blue energizer ad

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Or this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxafIhYFOr0

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The Atari 2600 had an impressive life span. Launched in 1977, with the last official games coming out in 1992.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

The Atari 2600 had an impressive life span. Launched in 1977, with the last official games coming out in 1992.

A lot of things lasted way longer than you think they did.

The C64 wasn't officially discontinued until 1994, for example. I wanna say like the Dreamcast or something just halted accessory production.