Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oil of Paris posted:

What plants are you trying to grow in there? Do they have high light requirements?

Don't have the plants picked out yet. Flexible on that part. Preferably things that don't require a crazy amount of light so I can be more flexible on light choice.

Nosre posted:

I've thought of doing something similar!

Deciding what plants to use will inform the other choices on how to put it together. Given that it'll have space constraints, and well, that it is a display case, I immediately think succulents and cacti - they grow slowly and there's practically infinite cool varieties.

Succs and cacti mostly need lots of light, though, so that would make incorporating some lights required--just having glass shelves will not be enough if the spot itself is low-light. If it was me, I'd look into Led strips, maybe such as the aquarium ones mentioned, which are efficient and can be close to the tops of the plants

I was thinking some sort of LED strip. I hadn't thought about aquarium lights until you all mentioned them. I had a salt water reef aquarium for quite a few years, but those light requirements are much different than planted tanks. I'll do some research on that front.

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to post an update if/when I figure out what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Good luck, and I'd be very curious about updates, particularly regarding lighting.

If you go with succs/cacti, there's a lot of sources for various setups if you google variants of 'ikea shelf succulent setup'. Here's also a lighting discussion particularly for that:

https://thesucculenteclectic.com/grow-lights-for-succulents-simple-guide/

I'd go with white LEDs if it was me, the latest whites are quite good and infinitely better as far as viewabilty compared to the blue/reds

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Started a little project to sprout some red oaks from acorns. I collected some good seed stock from the local park, got them in the fridge now. Hope I get something viable. Anyone ever done this? It seems simple enough. Just need to save some milk jugs for pots.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Suspect Bucket posted:

Started a little project to sprout some red oaks from acorns. I collected some good seed stock from the local park, got them in the fridge now. Hope I get something viable. Anyone ever done this? It seems simple enough. Just need to save some milk jugs for pots.
I have done it a lot. Oaks are pretty easy. After you collect them, dump the acorns in a big bowl of water and toss any floaters because they’re not usually viable. Red oaks you can hold over winter in the fridge, but white oaks put out a tap root immediately and you should just plant them now and stick them in pots outside covered with wire mesh to keep the squirrels out. Even once they start putting up growth in the spring keep them well covered (I built like a little wire mesh cage) if you have squirrels.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
God drat it I was just watering SOME OF the houseplants and brushed some low hanging dead bits off my succulents, and like half of the healthy looking leaves broke off.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Suspect Bucket posted:

God drat it I was just watering SOME OF the houseplants and brushed some low hanging dead bits off my succulents, and like half of the healthy looking leaves broke off.

Yea they're pretty tender. I had a little bird get stuck in my house for the day and it trashedd my succulents trying to get out.

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:
Anyone have any idea what's going on with my yucca elephantipes? This is what it looked like a month ago:

Got it ~6 months ago and it was doing fine up until maybe 2 months ago. The leaves got increasingly dusty looking in general, and some leaves were shriveling up and dying, often getting small black spots on them. It definitely did get overwatered, and I repotted it 1-2 weeks ago into dry soil thinking it might be root rot. The soil was wetter than it should have been but the roots seemed okay and the trunks are still sturdy. I've also sprayed it down 3 weeks in a row now with an antifungal because I thought maybe it was powdery mildew on the leaves? The white powder on the leaves seems to be somewhat reduced since doing the antifungal sprays but it's still there, and quite heavily in some areas. It looks pretty okay right now because I've been cutting off all the dead leaves and I just finished wiping off its leaves and doing the antifungal spray, but it's not a happy plant.

This is it as of a few moments ago:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Can I get some help identifying a plant please?

This was a gift and only marked "tropical". The leaves feel kind of plump, like it miiiiiight be a succulent, but I'm not sure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Could it be in genus Peperomia?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

That just means you can get another handful of plants started!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

B33rChiller posted:

Can I get some help identifying a plant please?

This was a gift and only marked "tropical". The leaves feel kind of plump, like it miiiiiight be a succulent, but I'm not sure.

Peperomia is a strong possibility. Or, depending on how plump the leaves are, maybe a Crassula, like C. volkensii? What do the stems look like?

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
So with depression I've found nothing ever gets done all at once. Like, I want to do something, and think about it, then maybe a month later I'll buy something, and then two months later I'll put it together, and then maybe four months out I'll finish my project. I know it hasn't actually been four months but I did finally get my window plants in place.

The imgur gallery is here --> https://imgur.com/a/WZV8D47 with some short comments.

I will say that the little babby plant I bought from Aldi in November 2017 has grown like the incredible hulk. In the last series I posted I had separated it into three containers, and this time not only is it in EIGHT containers but I threw out a massive amount of off cuttings and stripped leaves. It had thick white roots but nothing penetrated further into the soil than an inch and a half. But literally every leaf point had sprouted at least one branch and many leaf points had three full grown sprouts.

I did not want to plant in glass but when I saw how top heavy my succs were I figured they would need the help of a deep stem. We'll see. I've only ever watered from the bottom before. I usually put my cups into a pyrex dish and poured a little water mixed with liquid fertilizer into the tops enough to weigh them down, then poured water in the bottom and left them overnight. Nothing has died or rotted so... I only did this about once a month, but more like every two months because again, depression slow motion.

Ask me why I'm trying to grow more succulents from leaves. Because I'm nuts. I'm hoping with the new east-facing window they will become more compact and less leggy like my rubbers there.

Also I have a TON of depth on these shelves so I could fit three rows of plants in, and I might just have to, but I want to see how the sun hits them over the next few days first.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Nice setup! We've got a lot of the same stuff, the String of Pearls and Haworthia for sure

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

That70sHeidi posted:

Ask me why I'm trying to grow more succulents from leaves. Because I'm nuts.

Because its awesome and you'll have a bunch of new fun plants that make you happy! :D

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Looks really nice!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I didn't even care about succulents when I got into houseplants (foliage ones, mainly) but after seeing how well my crassula is doing, and then my Dad's girlfriend giving me an adorable little string of pearls, I really want more.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

I sowed some grass a little while ago and am having mixed success

I have sown again with a more sunlight tolerant grass in the more frontal area, as it receives far more light (and heat, it has been bush fire conditions here lately)

Wish me luck on the second sow

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jestery posted:

I have sown again with a more sunlight tolerant grass in the more frontal area, as it receives far more light (and heat, it has been bush fire conditions here lately)

Are you watering it?

Also that soil looks so compacted...

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Jestery posted:

Just straight spreading seed there isnt going to do much. You're going to need to rip that soil and top dress with a clean weed free compost/soil blend. Then seed in too that and water frequently but shallowly to keep the top moist. As it starts to grow you can taper back the water frequency and increase duration to drive that water deeper to encourage root growth. Also high soil temps are going to severely lower your germination rate so look in to wood fiber biodegradable erosion blankets (no plastic netting) that will shade the ground and help hold water.

I do this for a living so if you have more questions just ask or PM me.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I broke up the top couple inches of the roped area with a spade and have been watering every morning

The ground that isn't being down upon is sweeped every morning which is why it looks so compacted

The main difference between where the grass has grown and where it hasn't is light as far as I can see, but I'll report back in a week or two with grass results

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TofuDiva posted:

Peperomia is a strong possibility. Or, depending on how plump the leaves are, maybe a Crassula, like C. volkensii? What do the stems look like?

Sorry I took so long to respond, they look like this

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

B33rChiller posted:

Sorry I took so long to respond, they look like this

Thanks, that helps! I think that Platystemon is right and it's a peperomia - possibly P. scandens, cubensis, or cubata.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Great! Thankd for the help. P. Cubensis you say? :eyepop: not what I expected at all.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

It's coming along

I've got a little lawn my dudes

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

For being a badass invasive this Carpobrotus edulis / Pigface is really sensitive. They rooted quite easily and started taking off, but for a few months now have stagnated and leaves are slowly dying off in pairs.

Definitely looks like too much water, but I've left the soil dry for weeks at a time between waters so idk

Thinking to cut at least one of them up into tips again and restart with even sandier/rockier soil (and a smaller pot)

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Nosre posted:

For being a badass invasive this Carpobrotus edulis / Pigface is really sensitive. They rooted quite easily and started taking off, but for a few months now have stagnated and leaves are slowly dying off in pairs.

Definitely looks like too much water, but I've left the soil dry for weeks at a time between waters so idk

Thinking to cut at least one of them up into tips again and restart with even sandier/rockier soil (and a smaller pot)

Agree with your sandier soil plan! My pigface had similar issues so I trimmed it back and replanted in a 50/50 mix of native Australian specific soil and regular beach sand. I also avoid adding any fertiliser to that part of the garden as it thrives in deficient soils.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Along those lines - against the odds, I have ginger from the (organic) grocery store sprouting violently on my kitchen counter. My neighbor says to just stick it in a pot of sand and it will grow. True, or do I need to do more for it? Can I cut off the sprouting knobs to plant, or should I sacrifice the whole rhizome?

I'm a bit too far north to be able to plant it outside, although if I pot it I could put the pot outside next spring. I do have plenty of sunlight in the house though.

TIA for any thoughts on ginger, or pointers to websites that people trust.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 3, 2019

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

TofuDiva posted:

Along those lines - against the odds, I have ginger from the (organic) grocery store sprouting violently on my kitchen counter. My neighbor says to just stick it in a pot of sand and it will grow. True, or do I need to do more for it? Can I cut off the sprouting knobs to plant, or should I sacrifice the whole rhizome?

I'm a bit too far north to be able to plant it outside, although if I pot it I could put the pot outside next spring. I do have plenty of sunlight in the house though.

TIA for any thoughts on ginger, or pointers to websites that people trust.

Not sure about planting ginger into sand, but I've had a fair bit of success doing so into good quality potting mix. If you're planting into a pot, make sure it's a wide one as the rhizomes grow horizontally.

Yes definitely keep it inside in a warm spot while it's winter time!

In terms of splitting the rhizome, this is a great way to get a much better ginger yield down the line. Make sure each section has a sprout and don't make them too small. Before planting, I leave the cut section out for a few days until the wound hardens over to avoid the chance of infection. I then soak the prepared root cutting in warm water for a day, before planting 1-2 inches under the soil.

Ginger isn't the quickest grower, so ideally wait several months before you can start carefully harvesting sections of root and covering over what remains in the soil.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can cut off the sprouting knobs.

Let it cure for a day or two in the open air before putting it in soil to lessen the risk of disease entering through the cut face.

I want to grow turmeric from rhizomes, but if I leave it on the counter, it moulds before sprouting. So now I have some buried, partly buried, and some in moist bags—all washed with hydrogen peroxide first.

I started only a couple of weeks ago. No sprouts yet, but also no rotting. If it comes to it, a local nursery carriers potted turmeric, which is what prompted me to try to sprout some. They’re nice plants.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

TofuDiva posted:

My neighbor says to just stick it in a pot of sand and it will grow. True, or do I need to do more for it? Can I cut off the sprouting knobs to plant, or should I sacrifice the whole rhizome?

I've been cutting off and sticking sprouted knobs into regular potting soil. Has worked o.k. indoor under lights for several years but this year the leaves are a bit yellow so I think I've got some sort of deficiency going on.

I have read a suggestion to use long, narrow pots since the root likes to travel horizontally and doesn't need deep pots like I have mine in.

They're from wet/dry season areas so even if you provide them with good light and warmth in the winter they will die back during what should be their dry season. I've been treating them like potatoes - harvest at that point, store the roots and re-plant any that sprout in the spring.

Platystemon posted:

I want to grow turmeric from rhizomes, but if I leave it on the counter, it moulds before sprouting. So now I have some buried, partly buried, and some in moist bags—all washed with hydrogen peroxide first.

Huh. I had some sprout spontaneously in a package on the counter this summer so I went ahead and planted it like the ginger. I'll have to pay attention next time to exactly how I abused it before sprouting.

I've heard a rumour that tumeric is significantly more cold resistant than ginger. I want to propagate enough plants that I can experiment with it next year in the garden.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've never grown edible ginger, but I grow a bunch of ornamental gingers here in 8b/9a. Very easy to propogate from tubers, or sometimes they start growing baby plants on spent flowers (there is a name for this but I can't remember it). They like some shade, but otherwise are pretty bulletproof. They go bananas in August/September when everything else is too hot and tired to grow and then die back with a frost but come back every year. There a guy out in the country (where it is colder) I know who grows turmeric and ginger for a local health food store.
Gingerz:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hexigrammus posted:

Huh. I had some sprout spontaneously in a package on the counter this summer so I went ahead and planted it like the ginger. I'll have to pay attention next time to exactly how I abused it before sprouting.

I’ve heard everything from “submerge them in water” to “stress them out by placing them on a warm, dry shelf”.

I carefully inspected my turmeric and it’s actually moulding a little now. :rip:

My problem might be that, before it’s in my hands, the turmeric has lost viability through been stored too long and maybe getting too cold. That would explain why it rots on my counter and not on others’.

Hexigrammus posted:

I've heard a rumour that tumeric is significantly more cold resistant than ginger. I want to propagate enough plants that I can experiment with it next year in the garden.

I chose turmeric simply because I can eat a lot more fresh turmeric than fresh ginger.

Galangal is another ginger relative you could look into. There are four species under that name in the family. I think Alpinia galanga is the one I get at the market. It has a gingery taste and what I would describe as radish characteristics.

e: Garden.org’s database lists A. galanga as being more cold tolerant than common ginger but less than yellow turmeric.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 4, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Thanks for all of the great tips and advice! I will pick up some good potting soil tomorrow and give it a try :tipshat:

I have some bonsai planters languishing in my sunroom. They are long and shallow, so I'll use the biggest of those and see what happens. If it goes well I'll post a picture.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nosre posted:

I mean, in the wild it grows on sand dunes, in basically 100% sand.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Just a quick check before I cut off the wrong thing, cut the smallest stems on this future super producer of avocados house plant right?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've never grown edible ginger, but I grow a bunch of ornamental gingers here in 8b/9a. Very easy to propogate from tubers, or sometimes they start growing baby plants on spent flowers (there is a name for this but I can't remember it). They like some shade, but otherwise are pretty bulletproof. They go bananas in August/September when everything else is too hot and tired to grow and then die back with a frost but come back every year. There a guy out in the country (where it is colder) I know who grows turmeric and ginger for a local health food store.
Gingerz:

Oh my god those are gorgeous, well done. I'm trying to understand hardiness zones more... my map says I'm 8b ish but I can't remember a time when it got below 20, should I play it like I'm 9a or am I missing something? My yard gets lovely light in the pnw so its confusing for me

This reminds me the horseradish and wasabi are a couple weeks late on harvesting shiet. Such a pain to harvest but my first go at the horseradish turned out decent so I'm excited to dig up the rest. Any tips anyone has for recipes for those are appreciated

Platystemon posted:

I carefully inspected my turmeric and it’s actually moulding a little now. :rip:

Bummer, I was really impressed with your sterilization trick. Whats your most common use for tumeric? I really want to try that and galangal next year

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, in the wild it grows on sand dunes, in basically 100% sand.

Yea, I got tricked by researching it initially and all the sources say the standard 'well draining soil' requirement. More sandy it is!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Just a quick check before I cut off the wrong thing, cut the smallest stems on this future super producer of avocados house plant right?

For mangos, people would variously claim both “the strongest seedlings are the clones” and “the weakest seedings are the clones”.

Someone finally did a study where they tested genetics.

It turns out that neither rule holds, and what’s more is that the belief everyone had that all but one embryo is a clone is itself false. There are seeds with three embryos, none of them clones.

As far as I know, no one has done a similar study for avocados, but I suspect the common wisdom doesn’t hold for them either.

Bummer, I was really impressed with your sterilization trick. Whats your most common use for tumeric? I really want to try that and galangal next year

Hydrogen peroxide is something I saw recommended for seeds. I have some acerola seeds that I bagged on August 6. They take at least six months to germinate, so I’m still waiting on them, but the bag is completely mould‐free. Several other species I started at the same time are healthy potted plants now.

My № 1 turmeric‐consuming recipe isn’t going to be for everyone. It’s turmeric milk. Blend a small handful of the rhizomes with the milk of your choice. That’s the whole of it. Strain it if you want, or don’t if the chunks don’t bother you.

People will say that “golden milk” has mystical health benefits and I’ve been told there are scientific studies saying turmeric does at least have anti‐inflammatory properties, but I just think it tastes good. It’s not at all the same with powdered turmeric.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oh my god those are gorgeous, well done. I'm trying to understand hardiness zones more... my map says I'm 8b ish but I can't remember a time when it got below 20, should I play it like I'm 9a or am I missing something? My yard gets lovely light in the pnw so its confusing for me
It gets down to 20 here occasionally and my ginger still seems fine? There's probably more to it than winter hardiness though I guess. We have hot, wet, sunny, humid summers, a warm dry fall, and then a wet winter. I have pretty fertile, moist but well drained, black dirt with a lot of organic matter in it, but it's very acidic because it's made of rotten oak leaves. I know the gingers like these conditions, but they may well like other things! It might do fine in the PNW? Probably not as hot or as sunny, but the worst that can happen is you spend $20 on some tubers and they die.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Platystemon posted:

For mangos, people would variously claim both “the strongest seedlings are the clones” and “the weakest seedings are the clones”.

Someone finally did a study where they tested genetics.

It turns out that neither rule holds, and what’s more is that the belief everyone had that all but one embryo is a clone is itself false. There are seeds with three embryos, none of them clones.

As far as I know, no one has done a similar study for avocados, but I suspect the common wisdom doesn’t hold for them either.

Slightly embarrassed but not enough to not ask... so don't cut them because I think one is a clone? I mean I totally get it but for everyone else in the room you know

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It gets down to 20 here occasionally and my ginger still seems fine? There's probably more to it than winter hardiness though I guess. We have hot, wet, sunny, humid summers, a warm dry fall, and then a wet winter. I have pretty fertile, moist but well drained, black dirt with a lot of organic matter in it, but it's very acidic because it's made of rotten oak leaves. I know the gingers like these conditions, but they may well like other things! It might do fine in the PNW? Probably not as hot or as sunny, but the worst that can happen is you spend $20 on some tubers and they die.

Oh yea damnit, I didn't think about that. I'm gonna give it a shot because they are so pretty, my soil is naturally acidic and well draining and I have a killer compost from some large farm animals poo poo so heres hoping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slightly embarrassed but not enough to not ask... so don't cut them because I think one is a clone? I mean I totally get it but for everyone else in the room you know

Oh, sorry, I thought you were the person who had a very similar question a month ago following up on my advice there.

Platystemon posted:

You have a polyembryonic seed.

In a polyembryonic seed, one stalk will be a product of sexual reproduction. It’s a mutt. It might be best thing since the Hass, or it might be a tree that will produce lousy fruits. It’s probably something in‐between, not great, not terrible.

The other is presumably a good commercial cultivar.

If you several seedlings (or a seed with more than two stalks), you could let them grow out a little and try to discern which were the clones by factors like leaf shape, even smell. The ones that are all alike are the clones, obviously. The most unique stalk from each seed is the mutt.

If you don’t have other seedlings for comparison, the best you can do is prune the less vigorous stalk. You could attempt to separate them, but you might lose them both.

Separating them isn’t that much of a risk, but if you don’t have a good reason to keep both plants, there’s no reason to do it.