Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

zoux posted:

I was thinking about this and it's interesting because it describes Boba Fett to a tee. Nothing he's shown doing on screen in anyway justifies his rep in the fandom, it's 100% his look. SW is primarily an aesthetic, imo, and that's fine because it's a great one. In fact even his drat name is stupid.

(also you're wrong about everything else!!!!)

Did you miss the part where he out smarted Han Solo and captured him on Cloud City?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

DurosKlav posted:

Did you miss the part where he out smarted Han Solo and captured him on Cloud City?

....did he?
Because I remember Darth Vader catching a laser blast like a G.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
what have you done to the baby yoda thread

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Someone tried to apply :biotruths: to Star Wars fights, which is even worse than tactical realism

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DurosKlav posted:

Sgt. Politeness posted:

....did he?
Because I remember Darth Vader catching a laser blast like a G.

That's all actually evidence for how smart Fett is. He tracks Solo and the Falcon, rats him out to the Empire, let's Vader and the Imps do the heavy lifting of catching and freezing Solo, presumably also gets paid by the Empire for setting the trap for Luke then absconds to sell Solo to Jabba and get paid again. At every turn he cleverly and skillfully avoids confrontations with the badass and lucky Rebel folks.

And it's good that he did because he's utter crap in a real fight, as shown in the next movie where a blind Han Solo shoots him in such a way as to send him down the Sarlacc's gullet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cara Dune is cool. The Mandalorian is cool. Baby Yoda is cool. Werner Herzog is cool. Sabine Wren is cool and I hope she makes a cameo in this show. If Ahsoka also cameos I'll probably get choked up because I'm a silly nerd with too much stock in silly things, but I enjoy said things because I think they're cool and good. Thanks for reading :)

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

teagone posted:

Cara Dune is cool. The Mandalorian is cool. Baby Yoda is cool. Werner Herzog is cool. Sabine Wren is cool and I hope she makes a cameo in this show. If Ahsoka also cameos I'll probably get choked up because I'm a silly nerd with too much stock in silly things, but I enjoy said things because I think they're cool and good. Thanks for reading :)

That was a good Ted Talk.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Firstborn posted:

Continue to pretend nothing exists besides the OT. Plenty of people do it.
Return of the Jedi sucked so bad, though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Return of the Jedi sucked so bad, though.

Not if you fast forward past everything that isn't the space parts of Endor, though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ewoks rule you guys need to find joy via Jesus

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

jabbas palace ruled. I hope Mandos new employer is a Jabba

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Edit:. /\ jabba's dead

Mulva posted:

"What if we made the Wire, but Star Wars?

I dig the show, but can they also do this?

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 4, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DurosKlav posted:

He just knew about his dumbass garbage thing and then followed him.

Interesting to me that we've gone from carbonite storage as a test case to full adoption on the part of the guild in less than five years.

e: my only concern about Ahsoka is that Togrutas look like poo poo in live action

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWJrG3Ua5Kk

A fun thing.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1201833710536011779

Gina Decarlo kicked a dude so hard he flew

quote:

But that one take she kicked someone, it was totally planned, but there was more contact than usual and from where I was standing looking at the monitor, I thought there was a wire on the guy. He went flying back, I thought it was a gag. I asked, “Who put a wire on that guy?” And people said that wasn’t a wire, that was the force of Gina’s kick.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

kiimo posted:

I once read this book

it's dreck

Congrats on picking the worst story since the bible.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but I can't believe I missed the obvious joke reference in the last episode; they had a literal Blue Harvest going on.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Is that the one with the prince from some place no ones ever heard of who’s handsome and perfect yet she chooses han for some reason

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Courtship is more bad in a kinda-boring way. It's not like, Crystal Star bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/a_demare/status/1201591825649348610?s=19

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:swoon: Oh my god, Gina is a superwoman!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McTimmy posted:

Courtship is more bad in a kinda-boring way. It's not like, Crystal Star bad.

Is that the one where they ride Rancors?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rocksicles posted:

Is that the one where they ride Rancors?

Courtship is the one where there are rancor-riding force-witches.

Crystal Star is the one with space-succubi, space-centaurs, and space-werewolves.

Sorry. "Wyrwulves."

Crystal Star is just lovely, in a not fun kind of way. There's nothing weirdly bad or interesting going on, just incredibly tired ideas written astonishingly badly even for mid-90's mass-produced genre fiction.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 4, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

quote:

But that one take she kicked someone, it was totally planned, but there was more contact than usual and from where I was standing looking at the monitor, I thought there was a wire on the guy. He went flying back, I thought it was a gag. I asked, “Who put a wire on that guy?” And people said that wasn’t a wire, that was the force of Gina’s kick.
But women are weak! How did she kicked man?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Crystal Star is the one with space-succubi, space-centaurs, and space-werewolves.

Sorry. "Wyrwulves."

Crystal Star is just lovely, in a not fun kind of way. There's nothing weirdly bad or interesting going on, just incredibly tired ideas written astonishingly badly even for mid-90's mass-produced genre fiction.

That's right, the witches of Dathomir. I'd probably check it out again as an unabridged audiobook if it existed

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
One thing I don't get about the episode is where did the pile of guns come from? And if the villagers just had a pile of guns, and someone who could teach them all how to shoot, why didn't they already? I know "they still couldn't beat the AT-ST" but still they'd be better off.

I kinda wish we got more training montage actually. These guys go from literally not knowing you need to stab someone with the pointy part of a pointy stick, to learning how to shoot mostly and that's it. I agree with another poster who said it would have been better for the villagers to have done more, like the crackshot widow getting to do more, or setting more traps, or doing more tactical maneuvers than just hiding behind cover and shooting.

I don't mind the tone of the show shifting a bit in this episode... if a show is the same tone all the time it becomes boring and predictable. Sometimes you're gonna have a lighthearted adventure, sometimes things are gonna get grim. It's also fun to see the characters in a greater variety of settings and emotions.

I think what could have made this episode stronger is if we felt more internal conflict in Mando over staying. Yeah he wasn't eager to leave Baby Yoda behind but it was part of his overall game plan the whole time. I think it would have been more heartbreaking to see Mando actually get attached to the place more and decide to stay, then the bounty hunter shows up and he realizes he can't.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Metropolis posted:

One thing I don't get about the episode is where did the pile of guns come from? And if the villagers just had a pile of guns, and someone who could teach them all how to shoot, why didn't they already? I know "they still couldn't beat the AT-ST" but still they'd be better off.

It's Mando's gun case

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I don't even remember Courtship of Princess Leia, but I think I could still safely say Dark Saber and Shadows of the Empire were worse. At least it gave us Zsinji, who was great in the X-Wing books.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PunkBoy posted:

I don't even remember Courtship of Princess Leia, but I think I could still safely say Dark Saber and Shadows of the Empire were worse. At least it gave us Zsinji, who was great in the X-Wing books.

It's amazing to me that with all this history to mine, the best thing star wars is doing atm is like half a dozen comics, half a dozen books, and this one live action show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sorry. "Wyrwulves."

It's been a super long time since I read it, but isn't one of the bad guys literally a trans dimensional steak slab?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

upgunned shitpost posted:

it's like meeting the man of your dreams, then learning he exterminates all alderaanian life

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I may not be an expert, but I've read the rules and spent hundreds of hours painting Star Wars legion miniatures just in case I ever meet someone IRL who plays. So I feel super confident pointing out that girls can't punch because they have hollow bones.

But seriously. Re-watched the episode a couple more times and Gina's acting wasn't as bad as my first impression. The fist fight is great and that shot where Mando gets slammed face first into the dirt from Cara's haymaker makes me wince for the poor stuntman.

I'm someone who likes the new movies, particularly TLJ and Solo, and my standard argument for friends who don't care for them has been "You need to try and see them for what they are instead of resenting them for reminding you that you're not eleven years old anymore". Now I have to admit that's a poo poo argument, because watching The Mandalorian has me stuck in front of the TV with a stupid grin and feeling like I'm a slack jawed eleven year old again. Sure it's not perfect, but it doesn't have to be perfect to be great.

I do hope they keep the EU and cartoon references to just references, though. The stuff from the cartoons should be cannon in the sense of them being in universe children's bedtime stories. They really need to steer clear of live action versions of animated characters showing up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pro-click right here folks,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWJrG3Ua5Kk

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

https://twitter.com/pedropascal1/status/1201936789579022336

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:allears:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
nerds have always sucked

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The ocean man edit by cabbagecatmemes was first :mad:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

TK-42-1 posted:

Is that the one with the prince from some place no ones ever heard of who’s handsome and perfect yet she chooses han for some reason

No Leia starts to fall for the prince but Han goes on a jealous booze-fueled sabacc bender until he wins a planet, then kidnaps Leia to it and Stockholms her into loving him while Luke and the prince team up to find them and they all ride rancors and Luke gets kidnapped by a hot young witch who eventually marries the prince and the evil main witch makes Han’s teeth explode.

That book owns. burn the EU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Remember when Han fought a large otter for a gem or whatever the hell that was all about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Soonmot posted:

Edit:. /\ jabba's dead

It's star wars. There's Jabba's species and they're all mob bosses. The whole race.