Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Speaking of which, what is ol' Vlaada working on right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Last I heard, Vlaada was still working on lighter fare and the TTA expansion which wrapped earlier this year but had printing issues. I'd be a little surprised if he puts out anything heavy any time soon. He seems to have enjoyed settling into the post-Codenames life.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And, y'know, young kids. His are tracking with mine, and holy poo poo the lack of time, sleep, and focus.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
SU&SD hinted in their podcast back in April that Vlaada is working on a new game that "isn't a party game." Unless they were referring to the TtA expansion.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
A 6 hour game about successfully organizing a kindergarten carpool vlaada give it to me

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
E: misread

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Impermanent posted:

A 6 hour game about successfully organizing a kindergarten carpool vlaada give it to me

The only winning move is not to play.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have it on good authority that Vlaada is working on an 18xx no I will not reveal my sources or answer any questions.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CommonShore posted:

I have it on good authority that Vlaada is working on an 18xx no I will not reveal my sources or answer any questions.

Hell yeah I'm down for 18MK and 18GT. I will not, however, play 18CN

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

The Narrator posted:

SU&SD hinted in their podcast back in April that Vlaada is working on a new game that "isn't a party game." Unless they were referring to the TtA expansion.

The big reveal is it's Clank in Space

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I really like Lisboa and On Mars is supposed to be similar so I’m in 😀

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

Hell yeah I'm down for 18MK and 18GT. I will not, however, play 18CN

18BBMM

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

PlaneGuy posted:

The big reveal is it's Clank in Space

"..."

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

poemdexter posted:

My girlfriend isn't into board games but super into deck building games. We got dominion and played the poo poo out of it and thinking about grabbing expansions. We also bought the harry potter hogwarts battle against the dark arts game for my daughter. Turns out that's a deck building game and we play it more than dominion now.

Is there any other really good deck building games out there I should be looking at? We are definitely gonna snag a bunch of the Dominion expansions, but I'd love to see what else is out there.

If you're still looking, Puzzle Strike and Arctic Scavengers are options as well.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Yes and no. It's simple but honestly once you get past the learning stage it's not very interesting. Did some mini-reviews of all the COINS in the wargames thread

After playing both side of colonial twilight in solo mode last week I would like to hear why you suggest playing the pivotal events. Outside of reading them over a few times I ignored them because I didn’t understand why I would want to use one.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Playing twilight imperium with five new players this weekend. Any races we should avoid with all new players?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Arborec and Nekro Virus.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Triskelli posted:

Arborec and Nekro Virus.

I can't remember Arborec but Nekro are batting 100% at our table for making whoever takes them sad. They look so cool but in practice it never seems to work out.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Spikes32 posted:

Playing twilight imperium with five new players this weekend. Any races we should avoid with all new players?

Also Yssaril Tribes.

They start with the best opportunity for rapid expansion, and the most powerful ability in the game - the ability to skip turns without taking an action, whichis huge in a game about making your big plays after everyone else has passed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

bobvonunheil posted:

Also Yssaril Tribes.

They start with the best opportunity for rapid expansion, and the most powerful ability in the game - the ability to skip turns without taking an action, whichis huge in a game about making your big plays after everyone else has passed.

Did they really not balance these things for 4th edition? I'm also somewhat surprised by the lack of expansions for TI4?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Did they really not balance these things for 4th edition? I'm also somewhat surprised by the lack of expansions for TI4?

Yssaril have to discard an action card to stall, they can't do it indefinitely. They're still a good race but they're not broken like 3rd edition.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I can't remember Arborec but Nekro are batting 100% at our table for making whoever takes them sad. They look so cool but in practice it never seems to work out.

I won my first game with Nekro. I definitely wouldn't recommend for first time players because they remove an entire element from the game for themselves but having a permanent rider every vote is powerful. Like in real life people will vote against their best interest if it means denying you free stuff and that's my favorite thing about the Nekro.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ropes4u posted:

After playing both side of colonial twilight in solo mode last week I would like to hear why you suggest playing the pivotal events. Outside of reading them over a few times I ignored them because I didn’t understand why I would want to use one.
Regaining momentum by becoming first eligible. Removing a stronger enemy event from play. Pivotal events aren’t really played for the event itself (although you are forced to play them for the event).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

very mixed feelings about some of the art being previewed for Spirit Island: Jagged Earth

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Regaining momentum by becoming first eligible. Removing a stronger enemy event from play. Pivotal events aren’t really played for the event itself (although you are forced to play them for the event).

Thank you. That makes more sense I need to bust it out again during my Christmas break.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:yikes:

spirit looks cool though.

I noted that he says that "late in the game you'll be making like 10 stone per turn!" But... what's the point of that? The top power has 7.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Guys, stop giving Klemens Franz work ffs

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

That’s really weird considering how careful Ruess has been with the topics presented in the game so far. Yikes.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

GrandpaPants posted:

Man, somehow I had a huge brain fart and forgot that TI4 even existed

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s really weird considering how careful Ruess has been with the topics presented in the game so far. Yikes.

This one is particularly weird because there's an older card with a similar effect that has the exact same art concept, so somehow they wound up hiring this guy to redraw existing card art but with worse proportions and sassy DreamWorks face.

I almost wonder if this one was somehow a reject for the older card that got recycled, but I have no idea if that would be at all plausible with their art process.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I guess a deadline and development issues forced them to find a guy who is both reliable and very quick. It looks bad though, especially set next to all other cards I've seen.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

Very comic booky, which makes me realize that we need and Asterix & Obelix reskin of Spirit Island.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Spikes32 posted:

Avoid factions that break the rules too much as a first priority and then avoid the "weaker" races as second priority.

Rule breakers:
Arborec
Ghosts
Nekro
Saar

Weaker:
Sardak (they are simpler, but start on the back foot)
Winnu (they have one gimmick and if they don't get it, they're screwed)
Muaat (their eggs are all in one fragile basket)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is Pax Unplugged a good place to sell or trade unwanted games? Does it have a bazaar event or something akin to that?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Terraforming mars is out on iOS

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Terraforming mars is out on iOS

Link? I’m not seeing it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/terraforming-mars/id1353471030

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks for all the responses on ti4 races, we'll avoid them and hopefully have a game that doesn't get too bogged down. We're hoping to finish up in six hours, and include a few more public objectives initially to speed that up.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Afriscipio posted:

Winnu (they have one gimmick and if they don't get it, they're screwed)

I had these guys and it was miserable. I'm not good at the game but I swear I did my best and I am unsure who thought it was a great idea to design a race solely around being the best at putting a huge goddamn target on their back with poor responses to it.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Wasn't part of the long delay for Jagged Earth because it would take time to get artwork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Megasabin posted:

Is Pax Unplugged a good place to sell or trade unwanted games? Does it have a bazaar event or something akin to that?

There is no official event, but there was a big geeklist on BGG somewhere that people were using as a virtual flea market