Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Icon Of Sin posted:

Here’s the report from Lia, Georgia. 3 guys found a disused Soviet-era 90Strontium battery, and slept next to it for a few hours before they woke up vomiting, and with severe burns.

https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1660web-81061875.pdf

e: are you loving kidding me :laffo:

1. This is my personal favorite radiological incident, and it's crowd pleaser at parties.
2. They didn't just sleep near it; they slept near it for warmth.
3. Alcohol was involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Platystemon posted:

There a prosthetic penises where squeezing a fake testicle erects them.

If the air blows out the dickhole when it deflates dusting a keyboard would be hilarious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NLJP posted:

clownfarts.com

I believe you mean clownpenis.fart

https://dula.tv/videos/clown-penis-dot-fart/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

Hang on, let’s take this to Europa, get through all that ice no problemo

Pretty sure there are serious proposals on the table right now to do exactly that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Groda posted:

1. This is my personal favorite radiological incident, and it's crowd pleaser at parties.
3. Alcohol was involved.

OSHA IV: Using Strontium 90 to defrost the floor

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

naem posted:

nuclear stuff is a very practical way to, for example, melt water from the mars polar ice caps, we could then drop a dookie rocket into the puddle (as fertilizer) and then an algae rocket (to eat dookie/make oxygen)

I’ve been known to drop a dookie rocket or two in my time

haveblue posted:

Pretty sure there are serious proposals on the table right now to do exactly that.

I really wouldn’t be surprised at all.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 3, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Propaganda Hour posted:

Alarm doesn't sound.

You magnificent son of a bitch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

haveblue posted:

Pretty much. Highly radioactive material is basically a rock that feels hot to to the touch forever. It's like a magic source of free energy, until your entire family dies and a government containment crew liquidates your house.

That's nuts, I don't know why I never thought about rad rocks being hot, it seems kind of comic-booky. Makes sense though, it's just too-much of energy crammed into rock/metal that literally radiates the energy so of course it would be hot. Are there large/pure enough deposits of this stuff where somebody might be getting bad exposure just from chilling in their backyard or something?

Goddamn, what a disproportionately horrible consequence for holding a natural hand warmer for a little while.

Dear Diary, Me and the boys found a neat rock, it helps us stay warm out here. Very nice, very cool.
[next entry]
Dear Diary, there all is aching

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Khanstant posted:

Are there large/pure enough deposits of this stuff where somebody might be getting bad exposure just from chilling in their backyard or something?

depending on what kind of stone is used in your building's construction, and depending on the geology of where you live, there may be enough natural uranium around you to fill poorly-ventilated areas like basements with radon gas

that's dangerous so far as lung cancer down the road, though, not mysterious burns appearing on your body or random bouts of bloody diarrhea or bleeding gums or hair loss

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Khanstant posted:

That's nuts, I don't know why I never thought about rad rocks being hot, it seems kind of comic-booky. Makes sense though, it's just too-much of energy crammed into rock/metal that literally radiates the energy so of course it would be hot. Are there large/pure enough deposits of this stuff where somebody might be getting bad exposure just from chilling in their backyard or something?

Maybe. If your backyard happens to be in southern Texas, parts of Utah, and basically the four corners region, those were (are?) where Uranium was found naturally in the US. So if you lived there, and didn't mind digging, yeah you could potentially find some uranium.

However, Uranium is not hot to the touch. Likewise, Radium is not warm, but close contact with the skin can cause lesions and cancer in short order.

I think for the stuff that radiates actual tangible heat, you would have to start getting into the stuff that you get out of power plants, and that's unlikely to just show up in the dirt somewhere.

EDIT: Misread the question a bit, but my answer still stands.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Plutonium is probably the "most common" one you're likely to run into in the "so radioactive it feels warm" category.

Of course if you get to experience it first hand something has gone horribly wrong with your life.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Icon Of Sin posted:

When the Russians wanted a sample of the Elephant’s Foot from Chernobyl, they shot at it until a big enough chunk for their liking came off.

Look Tarakanov just wanted to shoot something ok

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ramsar, Iran has one of the highest levels of natural radioactivity at 10 mGy/year on average and around 200 mSv/year found in a particularly bad house (i.e. after applying weighting for type of radiation and accounting for nuclides that get trapped in your body for the long haul it's 20 times worse in said house than average in the region, and the average is already like 10 times worse than most places)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsar,_Mazandaran#Radioactivity

that's obviously really bad for stochastic effects (random poo poo with probability of happening increased due to exposure, like cancers) but doesn't register as far as deterministic effects (stuff that can be immediately and directly linked to exposure)

I pulled one of my textbooks off the shelf to refresh myself on the numbers:

you need to accrue at least 2.5 Gy full body in a short time for your bone marrow to have been dosed badly enough to impact your blood cell production, leading to a depressed immune system whose effects peak in about a month. The LD50 is about 5.3 Gy, and doses above 8 Gy or so is where you start getting into "guaranteed painful and awful death" territory. Above 10 Gy your intestines are dosed badly enough that they flatten out because the stem cells that produce new lining were blown away and you start to get bad infections from that and you also get to have prolonged diarrhea while you're dying, but at least your death takes place in like a week instead of a month at that point

Hair loss starts at local doses of 3 Sv and reddening of the skin starts at 6 Sv or so, and outright burns requires local doses of over 10 Sv

edit: your death can be more prolonged than that if the medical team tries extreme treatments like bone marrow transplants and keeps you in a very sterile environment and gives you lots of antibiotics :unsmigghh:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 4, 2019

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...western-africa/

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

I didn't intend to read over 100 pages, but that just sucked me in. Also HOLY gently caress some of those pictures are :nms:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't want to end up dying in a radiological accident but becoming another data point and the subject of an IAEA report would probably be worth more than my life would have been anyway

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Jawoyn people of northern australia considered a certain region 'sickness country', not fit for habitation. Then white men came by and built a bloody huge mine there because it was full of uranium.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BattleMaster posted:

that's obviously really bad for stochastic effects (random poo poo with probability of happening increased due to exposure, like cancers)

But it's *not* obviously really bad for stochastic effects: no significant ones have been observed, and there's even some evidence for hormesis. This is also the case with other areas with high natural background counts, like Guarapari in Brazil and various inhabited areas in India.

The LNT very possibly does not hold up for chronic exposures at low levels.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Platystemon posted:

There a prosthetic penises where squeezing a fake testicle erects them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Phanatic posted:

But it's *not* obviously really bad for stochastic effects: no significant ones have been observed, and there's even some evidence for hormesis. This is also the case with other areas with high natural background counts, like Guarapari in Brazil and various inhabited areas in India.

The LNT very possibly does not hold up for chronic exposures at low levels.

200 mSv is above the approximate 100 mSv dose where excess cancers start to be observed

high background is on the order of like 10 mSv not the 200 mSv hell house I was referring to

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Usually if I ask someone what their favorite radiological accident is, they look at me strangely but it's good to see we're all friends here.

Goiânia is up there for the sheer 'holy poo poo that could happen really easily, anywhere' factor but this is my personal fav https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1

because this 'The No. 7 shield plug from the top of the reactor vessel impaled the third man through his groin and exited his shoulder, pinning him to the ceiling.' is quite possibly the most metal way to die.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Erisian Automata posted:

Usually if I ask someone what their favorite radiological accident is, they look at me strangely but it's good to see we're all friends here.

Goiânia is up there for the sheer 'holy poo poo that could happen really easily, anywhere' factor but this is my personal fav https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1

because this 'The No. 7 shield plug from the top of the reactor vessel impaled the third man through his groin and exited his shoulder, pinning him to the ceiling.' is quite possibly the most metal way to die.

The last person to view the bodies had to do it through a 9" thick lead glass window.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I don’t think this one is on that list, but I could be mistaken. At any rate, this poor bastard looked directly into the beam of a particle accelerator.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski

quote:

Bugorski was leaning over the equipment when he stuck his head in the path of the 76 GeV proton beam. Reportedly, he saw a flash "brighter than a thousand suns" but did not feel any pain.[1]
[/1]

quote:

However, Bugorski survived and even completed his Ph.D. There was virtually no damage to his intellectual capacity, but the fatigue of mental work increased markedly.[2] Bugorski completely lost hearing in the left ear, replaced by a form of tinnitus.[4] The left half of his face was paralyzed due to the destruction of nerves.[1] He was able to function well, except for the fact that he had occasional complex partial seizures and rare tonic-clonic seizures.

Workman’s comp? In my Russia?!

quote:

In 1996, he applied unsuccessfully for disabled status to receive free epilepsy medication.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 4, 2019

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/z5YMzmV.mp4

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Erisian Automata posted:

It's always Goiânia because of Herbie Goes Bananas.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

BattleMaster posted:

200 mSv is above the approximate 100 mSv dose where excess cancers start to be observed

high background is on the order of like 10 mSv not the 200 mSv hell house I was referring to

You are correct about the doses. But the people in those high-rad areas don't have the effects. Which is super interesting.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's Goiânia because it always will be,

but I've just discovered "Tech pushed button on CT scan 151 times and doesn't remember"

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/16/us/16radiation.html

also
-unneeded CT scan
-on a toddler
-"Mike Morrison, the hospital’s lawyer, said that while it was possible Jacoby received more radiation than intended, “we don’t know that yet.”"
-Authorities only find out because of parents because the hospital failed to report it

It's like a smorgasboard of America.

edit:
I service and install X-ray equipement, and I always say that for general X-ray a tube will melt and the generator will shut down from duty cycle before producing a dangerous dose of radiation for a patient.
a CT is significantly higher dose (and tends to get over-prescribed) than a general X-ray, but is still not "Dangerous"
to give a patient enough dose to sunburn is literal criminal negligence (IMO)

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 4, 2019

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Erisian Automata posted:

I have a copy of the memoir of the guy who was site supervisor (or something like that) the night that accident happened and talks a lot about the reactor's construction and the accident. I may be able to post excerpts if anyone is interested

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Jonny Nox posted:

It's Goiânia because it always will be,

but I've just discovered "Tech pushed button on CT scan 151 times and doesn't remember"

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/16/us/16radiation.html

also
-unneeded CT scan
-on a toddler
-"Mike Morrison, the hospital’s lawyer, said that while it was possible Jacoby received more radiation than intended, “we don’t know that yet.”"
-Authorities only find out because of parents because the hospital failed to report it

It's like a smorgasboard of America.

Notes for future microwave equipment I'm fairly likely to be designing at some point: "Don't accidentally train operator to energise the magnetron repeatedly because the GUI is lagging".

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Groda posted:

3. Alcohol was involved.

4. It was recovered with pitchforks and spades

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Hexyflexy posted:

Notes for future microwave equipment I'm fairly likely to be designing at some point: "Don't accidentally train operator to energise the magnetron repeatedly because the GUI is lagging".

"Don't write a GUI where repeated inputs to the same control enqueue multiple requests for a time-consuming operation that could kill or maim someone if it happens multiple times in quick succession."

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Sex Skeleton posted:

"Don't write a GUI where repeated inputs to the same control enqueue multiple requests for a time-consuming operation that could kill or maim someone if it happens multiple times in quick succession."

You're asking me to get the GUI programmers to understand concurrency. I'm not loving god.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Wasn't there a story a few years ago about a model of CT scanner or something that would randomly emit death rays if the operator pressed the wrong sequence of keys? I tried googling it but just get clickbait articles by Scared Parent Weekly with titles like ARE CT SCANS BAD FOR YOUR SPECIAL LITTLE ANGEL???

e: I mean a different story from the one above, I remember seeing adults with burns.

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 4, 2019

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

chrisgt posted:

I didn't intend to read over 100 pages, but that just sucked me in. Also HOLY gently caress some of those pictures are :nms:

I skimmed through and got to the pics, those are some nightmare fuel.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Wasn't there a story a few years ago about a model of CT scanner or something that would randomly emit death rays if the operator pressed the wrong sequence of keys? I tried googling it but just get clickbait articles by Scared Parent Weekly with titles like ARE CT SCANS BAD FOR YOUR SPECIAL LITTLE ANGEL???

e: I mean a different story from the one above, I remember seeing adults with burns.

This?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Yes, that's it.

Look at that intuitive UI:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Are you...are you thinking of Therac? Y'know, THE story of a radiation machine that emitted too much because of operator error? Like, the actual machine whose very name has become a shorthand for design hubris and overreliance on software?

e: oops beaten but mine has more disgust and shaming at the idea that you'd post in this thread without knowing what Therac was. Next you'll tell me you've never heard of the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory. Unbelievable.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Pepperoneedy posted:

I have a copy of the memoir of the guy who was site supervisor (or something like that) the night that accident happened and talks a lot about the reactor's construction and the accident. I may be able to post excerpts if anyone is interested

:justpost:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tony Snark posted:

If the air blows out the dickhole when it deflates dusting a keyboard would be hilarious.

They use a liquid stored in a reservoir implanted in the abdomen.

There are two‐piece alternatives where the fluid is stored in the balls, in the pump chamber.

Pro: surgery is less extensive.

Con: limited volume means there’s less difference between flaccid and erect states.

There’s also the “gooseneck” option:

Talk with your doctor about the risks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Therac-25 and radiation therapy machines are a completely different beast to CT.

Radiation therapy is designed for therapeutic doses, ie enough to change how your body works. I don't work on them but my understanding is that the radiation source is generally fissible material like iodine isotopes, I assume because you want that sweet particle radiation. Therac-25, and that Brazilian town I can't remember how to spell were both this kind of machine. They can delivered dangerous doses because they were designed to.

CT is a glorified X-ray machine. It's source is an x-ray tube which works much like an incandescent lightbulb, except you can control the wavelength and density of the photons it emits. The radiation it emits is electromagnetic radiation which is like visible light, but on a much higher wavelength. The only particle radiation you may see is if a photon passes too close to an atom in your body and the interaction causes your atom to lose a subparticle. This is why X-rays are classified as ionizing radiation. And at diagnostic doses, having the occasional DNA strand messed up is no big deal, your body fixes those kind of problems routinely. Having a lot of damage to your cells though becomes troublesome. So lots of xrays, especially of your core, becomes a problem. Minimise patient dose as a core concept is hammered into students from day 1 to retirement for a reason.