Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
lev parnas' defense attorney

https://twitter.com/josephabondy/status/1201961206984183810

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

What's going on at the Southern Border is absolutely genocide

Yeah, fair point.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i can't believe that Devin Nunes would somehow get caught doing something incredibly stupid

who could've predicted this

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

CRIMES CRIMES CRIMES

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Solvency posted:

I honestly don't think this the party CAN abandon him, he's simply too large of a megaphone. I think if he loses in 2020, he will be stay in the limelight and hint at a 2024 run, after he spends about a year or so on how the elections were wrong and stolen from him. His cultists, which are a significant part of the republican party these days, will go along with it, and he will publicly denounce any active politician who still goes against him. He's going to be the Reagan of the republican party even if they don't want it, and Fox will be hesitant to completely turn on him just because of how much of the base will follow him to the ends of the earth. 2020 will not be the least we hear of Trump, and we will likely have the rest of the Trump clan and allies run in races for many elections to come.

I would love if Trump got removed and barred from office and he was healthy enough to still grift campaign and just gently caress with the Republican Party indefinitely by getting the Trumpists to use him as a write in vote

In my dreams

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
also based on that records pull, they knew about these calls on September 30th. Nunes is dumb as hell

ATT Document Production, Bates ATTHPSCI_20190930_00913

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oxsnard posted:

also based on that records pull, they knew about these calls on September 30th. Nunes is dumb as hell

When you're riding on the back of a tiger, sometimes you can't get off.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

pretty sure these phone records just dramatically increased the likelihood of us seeing Parnas testify live

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Many are talking about the precedent all this is setting for the future, but surely that only means something if politicians are at all concerned about consistency or facts? If a Democrat president comes in and does anything Trump has been doing, why do people think the Republicans won't just say "nah, not the same" and the propaganda machine to spew a bundle of lies to re-enforced this position? Facts, consistency or the truth simply don't matter anymore.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

BigglesSWE posted:

If Trump will go down as worse than Buchanan, we’ll only know after the upcoming election; when he refuses to step down (if he loses) and causes a(nother) constitutional crisis, he’ll have it in the bag.

Whether he 'steps down' makes no difference - the outgoing President doesn't participate in the official transfer of the office, probably by design. The Chief Justice swears in the next President and that's that. He'll probably do everything he can to sabotage the transition, though, just as a final gently caress you to the country.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Munkeymon posted:

Whether he 'steps down' makes no difference - the outgoing President doesn't participate in the official transfer of the office, probably by design. The Chief Justice swears in the next President and that's that. He'll probably do everything he can to sabotage the transition, though, just as a final gently caress you to the country.

The Chief Justice doesn’t even have to do it. You could probably have, like, a notary public do it if necessary. Maybe even a rando with no official status at all.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

... He'll probably do everything he can to sabotage the transition, though, just as a final gently caress you to the country.

This was going to happen in every outcome except maybe one where he's being succeeded by an approved replacement (ideally family member). One can only hope that the career people there at the WH will do what they can to prevent that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
With the impeachment full underway, it seems like every day more and more Republicans are getting caught doing incredibly illegal and stupid crimes.
The more this happens, the more I feel like a conspiracy theorist because I keep thinking that perhaps all the republicans are in bed with foreign dark money and it worries me that I am going insane. :smith:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ratbert90 posted:

it worries me that I am going insane. :smith:

it would be crazy not to

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ratbert90 posted:

With the impeachment full underway, it seems like every day more and more Republicans are getting caught doing incredibly illegal and stupid crimes.
The more this happens, the more I feel like a conspiracy theorist because I keep thinking that perhaps all the republicans are in bed with foreign dark money and it worries me that I am going insane. :smith:

Lindsay Graham is 1000% being blackmailed.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

The Chief Justice doesn’t even have to do it. You could probably have, like, a notary public do it if necessary. Maybe even a rando with no official status at all.

What's the key action that keeps me from swearing in my pet cactus as president? The outcome of the electoral college?

This isnt snark, I'm curious where the important step is.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oxsnard posted:

Yep. Sanders or Warren beats Trump by 20 million votes

Isn't this the same poo poo that we said that helped us lose when clinton was against him? Lets not count our chickens before they hatch, even if the one option seems so much better to us than the other.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Decrepus posted:

Lindsay Graham is 1000% being blackmailed.

I honestly hate this A) because it almost always implies 'lol he's queer', and B) because it pretends Graham hasn't been an absolute bootlick coward for his party for ages, he just was the first to jump from decorum bow tie wearing losers to team "WHOOOO YEA MAGA BITCHES *fart*"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cr0y posted:

What's the key action that keeps me from swearing in my pet cactus as president? The outcome of the electoral college?

Once the President is removed from office, the Vice President immediately becomes President. However, he can't exercise any power or do any official acts until he (or she) is given the oath of office.

So the oath doesn't make someone President, the oath confirms it. Essentially, taking the oath is a formal acceptance of the position.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

vincentpricesboner posted:

Isn't this the same poo poo that we said that helped us lose when clinton was against him? Lets not count our chickens before they hatch, even if the one option seems so much better to us than the other.

Not to mention whatever fuckery Russia is gonna pull in 2020. The social media propaganda poo poo is common knowledge and now I'm more worried about full blown voting system intrusion. We are in no way prepared to adequately secure the 2020 election from an infosec perspective.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

sexpig by night posted:

I honestly hate this A) because it almost always implies 'lol he's queer', and B) because it pretends Graham hasn't been an absolute bootlick coward for his party for ages, he just was the first to jump from decorum bow tie wearing losers to team "WHOOOO YEA MAGA BITCHES *fart*"

Ehhh, he looks haunted lately.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

friendly request that y'all please do not post bad USPOL/primary bullshit in this thread about impeachment, it is not the place to talk about

oxsnard posted:

Yep. Sanders or Warren beats Trump by 20 million votes

or how lindsey's being blackmailed or whatever other non-impeachment nonsense you're thinking of

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spun Dog posted:

Ehhh, he looks haunted lately.

yea he always does though, dude looks like that picture of the ww1 soldier with the thousand yard stare forever

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

there's absolutely no shortage of actually-on-topic things going on today

https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/1202009293064753152
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1202008138473492480
https://twitter.com/RebeccaRKaplan/status/1202012408342073345

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

vincentpricesboner posted:

Nobody is going to not vote next time because the Democrat is a "sure thing"

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

cr0y posted:

Yeah Congress assembles to count the EC votes and certifies a winner. That guy becomes president at noon on January 20.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

haveblue posted:

Yeah, the question is not whether the party will abandon him, the question is how much brain functionality can he lose before he can no longer effectively maintain his cult of personality.

I was watching The Death of Stalin the other day and it made me think that if Trump died tomorrow it would take Fox a month to acknowledge it. Hell half of his base would probably never acknowledge it, like he's the Republican Mahdi, hiding from the deep state to one day return as their savior.

Tangentially, still not sure why Democrats are intent on speedrunning this impeachment. I think they're making the calculation that since there's 0 chance of removal in the senate it's best to just get it over with quickly so as to damage Trump in 2020. But if he gets acquitted he's absolutely going to go around BEGGING every country he can to interfere in 2020. If you tell this moron he shouldn't do something he just does it even harder. While it's not guaranteed that holding out for documents or witnesses will produce something that will get 20 Republicans in the senate to vote to remove, it seems to me that the house democrats are severely underestimating just how consequential failure is here.

It's not like there's a provision anywhere for redoing elections. If we wake up on Nov 4th 2020 and Trump has won 100% of the vote in California (to use a ridiculous example), we don't get a do-over. If there's any ambiguity at all (or even if there's not), Trump won't leave and we're in the biggest constitutional crisis since the civil war. I mean this is kind of the whole impetus for impeachment: he needs to be impeached because he's loving with our elections. But if the Democrats really believe that then they ought to do everything they can to make sure he's removed. Even if it takes more than two months. Court rulings are going their way ATM and I really doubt the supreme court is going to overturn US v Nixon.

We probably should have some mechanism to redo an election if there's blatant evidence of hacking but I have no idea which institution you could trust with making that determination. The temptation to abuse that power for partisan ends would be overwhelming.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

is tomorrow the only hearing this week, do we have a list of who is testifying when? i'm pretty sure it got posted before but asking if someone can give a refresher before tomorrow.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Strange Poon posted:

is tomorrow the only hearing this week, do we have a list of who is testifying when? i'm pretty sure it got posted before but asking if someone can give a refresher before tomorrow.

The only people testifying tomorrow are legal scholars. 3 for the Dems, 1 for the Reps.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Is Judiciary going to do the same thing as Intel with counsel questioning witnesses, or will it be standard hearing style?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ought ten posted:

Is Judiciary going to do the same thing as Intel with counsel questioning witnesses, or will it be standard hearing style?

They'd be idiots not to continue with counsel

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The only people testifying tomorrow are legal scholars. 3 for the Dems, 1 for the Reps.

Personally I cannot fuckin wait to see what passes for "legal scholarship" from this particular band of Republicans in 2019.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ought ten posted:

There's 41 people on the committee, it's going to be long enough with only 5 minutes per member. It's going to be standard hearing style.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hey y'all it's gonna be a long 12 hours or so until the hearings so in the meantime I thought you'd all appreciate this time machine back to May 9 when this story broke.

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1126665597255856129?s=21

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885224&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=776#post494965684

Enjoy!

(e: we kinda missed the great mattering until he cancelled the trip a couple days later https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885224&pagenumber=788&perpage=40#post494994556 )

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 4, 2019

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The Democrats should have the guys from the opening arguments podcast perform the questioning.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1202054079867969536

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Oh, that Lev Parnas?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Yes, it does seem VERY unlikely it was a random call.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Retracted and sorry, wrong thread.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Otteration posted:

a bunch of rando links

cmon dude

eke out posted:

friendly request that y'all please do not post bad USPOL/primary bullshit in this thread about impeachment

we don't have an IK and i've avoided getting any mods involved (i think pretty much no one has been probed for anything in this thread)

but it ruins any value this thread might have when the same posters post the same things here and have the same tedious arguments as they're simultaneously having in the two other giant threads that actually encompass these topics

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 4, 2019