Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s pretty lovely for a new watch. Most of the time I end my day at 60% with my year old 4 and that’s with moderate use including at least a 30 min workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

That's with 8000 steps/5 miles/30-45 minutes of logged walking and complications that monitor noise levels and heart-rate throughout the day.

I only really care that it lasts until the end of the day - it's not like I don't charge it every night. Plus I couldn't imagine not having a compass when I'm wandering around a new city with my maps :colbert:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
5 is my first watch so i have nothing to compare it to. but the battery seems pretty great. only time it drained prematurely was my first full day of using it, when I was downloading a ton of stuff to my new phone. I never really see the 10% warning unless I like fall asleep on the couch and then stumble to bed at 5am, and that's a ~20hr cycle at that point. I haven't messed with the default AOD settings at all. Basically the battery is good enough that I don't have to think about it, which is all I can ask for in a battery really.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Transit app is back! :bubblewoop:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Has 6.1 really fixed the battery problems on the Series 5? To my surprise, I can't actually find any reliable tests/comparisons online. I'm considering getting a 4 or a 5 right now, and wouldn't want to spend the extra $60 for something with worse battery life.

I’ve never had a battery problem on the 5. I run the infographic analog face, with Carrot Weather, Things, Fantastical, Mail, Activity, Auto Wake, Heart Watch and Date complications. I also have AoD active.

I also do at least 30-45 minutes of exercise a day and am constantly checking my heart rate since I just had a surgeon touch my heart with his hands about 3 months ago.

I typically get 19 hours at the worst, but typically just over 24 hours before it goes into low power mode.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I'm still rockin' a 3 and by the end of the day it's at roughly 70%. I'm not a power user of the thing, but I'm constantly checking the time for work and peeping messages.

The only time it ever gets below 50% is when I run with GPS and music going. And it takes about two hours to get there. Pretty drat satisified with the battery.

Now if only the app devs would get their poo poo together and eliminate all the goddamn bugs. I swear half of the non-Apple complications are hosed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OMG I just tried the Calculator on the watch and it has a tip / total breakdown calculator!

Finally living in the future.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

OMG I just tried the Calculator on the watch and it has a tip / total breakdown calculator!

Defaults to 20% also, nice.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My Series 2's battery is still on some Nintendo-level black magic poo poo. I don't do hardly anything with it besides Homekit queries and checking the time/notifications, but I'm often putting it back on the charger after a full day with at least 95% battery life left.

If I use it more intensively -- say, turn-by-turn GPS for an hour, and wearing it to bed on occasion for sleep tracking, it'll still be above 70% by the morning. I wore it home for Thanksgiving, 3 days without a charge, and got back with 42%.

I skipped out on the pretty decent Series 4 closeout pricing this Black Friday, so I'm hoping it doesn't spontaneously poo poo the bed any day now.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 3, 2019

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

enojy posted:

My Series 2's battery is still on some Nintendo-level black magic poo poo. I don't do hardly anything with it besides Homekit queries and checking the time/notifications, but I'm often putting it back on the charger after a full day with at least 95% battery life left.

If I use it more intensively -- say, turn-by-turn GPS for an hour, and wearing it to bed on occasion for sleep tracking, it'll still be above 70% by the morning. I wore it home for Thanksgiving, 3 days without a charge, and got back with 42%.

I skipped out on the pretty decent Series 4 closeout pricing this Black Friday, so I'm hoping it doesn't spontaneously poo poo the bed any day now.

the insane variance of apple watch battery lives is pretty interesting. Do they have a feature that tells you what apps are responsible for power draw? (like iPhone does)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah I have a series 5 which at the worst left me at 49% at the end of the day after heavy use. Battery about the same as my s2. I mainly use it for working out and changing music tracks.

Great watch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a lot of variables to how the watch uses the battery, like if you're constantly swinging your arms around and activating the display the usage is gonna be higher than someone that sits all day at a keyboard.

When I'm out hiking I do notice a much higher charge at the end of the day if I leave theatre mode on.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Amazon has the Horizon Blue sport band (42/44mm) for $25. Figured I’d post it here since these things rarely go on sale (plus it’s a really nice color).

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Watch-...=8-8&th=1&psc=1

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MarcusSA posted:

I used to use the Shortcut for that but the watch calc is 20x more convenient.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s crazy how long it took for Apple to put the calculator on the watch. It’s very useful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Calculators on watches is a very difficult problem to solve and only Apple could possibly manage it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s crazy how long it took for Apple to put the calculator on the watch. It’s very useful.

I think before Watch OS6 they tried to have a higher minimum for hitbox sizes, and have scaled that back a little now that people are more comfortable tapping watch screens. That's my guess at least.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

xzzy posted:

There's a lot of variables to how the watch uses the battery, like if you're constantly swinging your arms around and activating the display the usage is gonna be higher than someone that sits all day at a keyboard.

When I'm out hiking I do notice a much higher charge at the end of the day if I leave theatre mode on.

Yeah people keep making these comparisons when their activity levels must be wildly different. My series 3 usually has around 30% left at the end of the day, but that's with around 90 minutes of tracked exercise a day, mostly walking, or more if I'm down the gym that day.

The Dave posted:

I think before Watch OS6 they tried to have a higher minimum for hitbox sizes, and have scaled that back a little now that people are more comfortable tapping watch screens. That's my guess at least.

That would make sense, I assume it's better on the 4 and 5 but the calculator is pretty fiddly on the 3 and I have thin fingers. Always use my phone instead.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

And yet they still refuse to put one on iPads.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I still use PCalc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Calculating on iPads is hard, man. You can't rush these things.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why the poo poo can't I see any of my audiobooks on my watch? They show up on my phone Books app just fine but they won't sync to my watch.

e: I didn't buy them through iTunes or whatever. No audiobooks show up in the phone Watch app > Audiobooks menu either.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 3, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Not an Apple Watch app, but I purchased Soulver for $3 like, 7 years ago now, and it remains my best app purchase so far. Best calculator app ever , and has both iPhone and iOS version. My job includes a lot of quick math every day, so that has me a bit biased on its importance, but totally worth it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Rock My Socks! posted:

Amazon has the Horizon Blue sport band (42/44mm) for $25. Figured I’d post it here since these things rarely go on sale (plus it’s a really nice color).

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Watch-...=8-8&th=1&psc=1

Just buy a bunch of knockoffs off Ali Express for $1.50 each.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Just buy a bunch of knockoffs off Ali Express for $1.50 each.

People say this but I have no had good luck with the knockoffs. They crack or just aren't right.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

MarcusSA posted:

People say this but I have no had good luck with the knockoffs. They crack or just aren't right.

Yeah I bought a knock-off once and it just felt cheap. Went and bought the actual Apple version and it was night-and-day.

Whether it was actually worth $50 however is another question...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Duckman2008 posted:

Not an Apple Watch app, but I purchased Soulver for $3 like, 7 years ago now, and it remains my best app purchase so far. Best calculator app ever , and has both iPhone and iOS version. My job includes a lot of quick math every day, so that has me a bit biased on its importance, but totally worth it.

I mean sure but they could also just tick off the box that says “iPad” when they compile it.

But I understand the monumental amount of effort needed to move that cursor over to the box and then the Olympic level hand-eye coordination needed to press down. Plus, 8 CPU cores just isn’t enough to run a basic calculator you know?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Fly Ricky posted:

Yeah I bought a knock-off once and it just felt cheap. Went and bought the actual Apple version and it was night-and-day.

Whether it was actually worth $50 however is another question...

I've had great luck with this seller:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847107047.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_5823354.pic_0
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914715512.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.1.7b6b28d6mvy912

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think my wrists need to be either a little bigger or a little smaller because the sport bands never feel right to me. Especially compared to how comfortable the sport loops are.

And my sport bands are all genuine apple and my sport loops are all knockoffs.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Nice, just ordered a couple. Dirt cheap, thanks for the tip.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Have you bought the link band or just the silicone and sport loop?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can you take voice notes on the Apple Watch- as in voice to text? And if so will it let you just spend to the previous note automatically or does it create a new one?

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Apple Watch: Warming the planet to save some bucks on a cheap knock-off band made from who-knows-what by underpaid workers from the other side of the World.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mzuri posted:

Apple Watch: Warming the planet to save some bucks on a cheap knock-off band made from who-knows-what by underpaid workers from the other side of the World.

Where do you think the Apple ones are made?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sri.Theo posted:

Can you take voice notes on the Apple Watch- as in voice to text? And if so will it let you just spend to the previous note automatically or does it create a new one?

Drafts let’s you transcribe voice into text. Pressing the complication starts the voice recording immediately so I’ve been using that. It doesn’t save audio and it creates a new note every time instead of appending. On iOS and now macOS Drafts is insanely powerful and you could set up a workflow (with either the built in actions or go all out with JavaScript) to combine all your notes if you want.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The Series 3 is mighty cheap these days. Is it a bad idea to get one instead of the 5 (or 4)?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xabi posted:

The Series 3 is mighty cheap these days. Is it a bad idea to get one instead of the 5 (or 4)?

It depends. I got the 5 specifically for the health features since I just had open heart surgery 4 months ago. While not a diagnostic tool, my cardiologist loves that I can give him simple ECG (that I take 4 times a day) data dumps from the Health app as another data point for my recovery. I'm also constantly logging my heart rate and have a lot of the health information crammed onto the infographic watch-face. The battery life has been a few hours better than the 3 as well. After the first couple days I have consistently had 19+ hour battery life and many times I get more than a full day.

I loved the 3 however, and it's a perfectly adequate watch with good battery life. I gave my dad my slightly more than one year old 3 and he loves it. He's getting about 15-16 hours out of it, which he has no problems with.

I say get the 3 if you have no real need (or burning *want*) for the extra features the 5 brings to the table.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'd say the larger screen in the 4/5 is reason enough to skip the 3 if possible. It really does make a difference in day-to-day use.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Drafts let’s you transcribe voice into text. Pressing the complication starts the voice recording immediately so I’ve been using that. It doesn’t save audio and it creates a new note every time instead of appending. On iOS and now macOS Drafts is insanely powerful and you could set up a workflow (with either the built in actions or go all out with JavaScript) to combine all your notes if you want.

+1. Drafts is super awesome and changed the way I use my phone. Being able to open the app and have it open instantly and ready to type is huge once you get used to it. The watch integration is awesome and the Mac app is super handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lum_ posted:

I'd say the larger screen in the 4/5 is reason enough to skip the 3 if possible. It really does make a difference in day-to-day use.

My 3 is great but I’m jealous of all those watch faces that are only on the 4 and 5.