Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Myth 3 levels are also more likely to rely on one-off gimmicks over solid combined arms tactics. While Myth 3 is probably my favorite of the series unit- and gameplay-wise, it's campaign is my least favorite of the three by a wide margin. Still, if you liked the macguffin or hero-based levels in the first two games then you might get more enjoyment out of the Myth 3 campaign than I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Hmm, alright. I’ve already beaten Myth TFL a while back, so maybe I’ll finish 2 and then go on to 3 and see if it clicks. Thanks guys!

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Since people were praising Dawn of War 2 earlier, I'm going to give a shout out to the Ultimate Apocalypse mod for Dawn of War. It has the questionable ambition of implementing as much tabletop elements as possible, and adds a few tech tiers to the game. Want to play imperial guard and have a choice of like 7 or 8 different baneblade class tanks to build, go ahead, or build one of the titans if you prefer. Titans really are too big for the engine, but the modders didn't give a poo poo and implemented them anyway, and it's glorious.
Contains Tyrannid, Chaos demons and the inquisition as additional playable factions.

It's fun

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

kanonvandekempen posted:

Since people were praising Dawn of War 2 earlier, I'm going to give a shout out to the Ultimate Apocalypse mod for Dawn of War. It has the questionable ambition of implementing as much tabletop elements as possible, and adds a few tech tiers to the game. Want to play imperial guard and have a choice of like 7 or 8 different baneblade class tanks to build, go ahead, or build one of the titans if you prefer. Titans really are too big for the engine, but the modders didn't give a poo poo and implemented them anyway, and it's glorious.
Contains Tyrannid, Chaos demons and the inquisition as additional playable factions.

It's fun

I've found Ultimate Apocalypse rather janky (I think it actually made it impossible to have normal Dawn of War LAN games after I installed it because it modified some of the game's base files - but that might have been a long time ago) and the super units break balance all over the show, but from a spectacle point of view it's amazing.

My favouite in Ultimate Apocalypse are the Necrons who are slow to get going but end up with insane super-monoliths, a mobile miniature sun, and teleporting murder turrets.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So, I had heard that Homeworld Remastered trashed fighters. I heard the Community Patch was a big deal so I installed it. Just beat mission 8 and, while the game is really pretty... fighters still seem really really bad :( . Can I assume there is nothing out there that fixes this?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Cicero posted:

Yeah that font sucks. Very 90's, in a bad way. Feels low budget now. And there's a lot of whitespace issues that make the UI feel off.

There's an option to switch to a sans serif font :)

(AOE2 DE for anyone else wondering)

The game crashes for me, however. Gonna try to disable UHD graphics...

Edit: It still runs poorly, and now it doesn't even look good.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 22, 2019

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've just bought AoE2 DE and it rubs super smooth and no crashes whatsoever so far. I lowered some graphics settings a bit though.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Angry Lobster posted:

I've just bought AoE2 DE and it rubs super smooth and no crashes whatsoever so far. I lowered some graphics settings a bit though.

I'm trying to play it on an i5 2500k with 8gb of ram and a gtx 970 (4gb) lol. It might be a little more CPU intensive than AOE1 DE was, for some reason.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Most of my problems with DE have been dealt with in the last couple of patches, though there's still room for improvement (performance, particularly).

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Aoe2 is running great for me on a 1year old XPS laptop but man the campaign missions are really an absolute slog

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I have no idea what campaign to even play. I don't remember anything from this game. Someone recommend a fun one to me please.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
most aren't really fun imo, really sloggy missions that take ages to finish, and a lot of missions have gotcha moments half way through so you basically have to play 'em twice. Grinding down well built enemy bases takes ages. I much prefer skirmish games so you can actually raid the enemy a bit at the start without running into cannons, castles, and archers behind a double layer of walls.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just make a bunch of castle unique units and trebuchets y'all

Also had to disable UHD in my notebook, which is already somewhat aged. Runs pretty smooth, even more than AoE 1 DE for some reason.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Samopsa posted:

most aren't really fun imo, really sloggy missions that take ages to finish, and a lot of missions have gotcha moments half way through so you basically have to play 'em twice. Grinding down well built enemy bases takes ages. I much prefer skirmish games so you can actually raid the enemy a bit at the start without running into cannons, castles, and archers behind a double layer of walls.

Yeah this is my feeling as well. I got it for when I’m on the road with shorty hotel internet so multiplayer isn’t an option but I’m having way more fun in the skirmishes. To be fair though I only tried 3 missions of the campaigns (Aztec, French, and Scottish). Maybe the new ones they added are a little better.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

boy, those are the roughest campaigns you tried, yeah. El cid, Mongols, Tamerlane, atilla, Portugal campaigns are all a bit more fun imo. Scots campaign is the tutorial, and France is the first 'real' campaign but still basic as hell. Aztecs are weird because of the no cav and gunpowder thing, which makes grinding down enemy bases and hunting down stray units a pain.
Didn't really try the newer ones (africa/asia).

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Samopsa posted:

boy, those are the roughest campaigns you tried, yeah. El cid, Mongols, Tamerlane, atilla, Portugal campaigns are all a bit more fun imo. Scots campaign is the tutorial, and France is the first 'real' campaign but still basic as hell. Aztecs are weird because of the no cav and gunpowder thing, which makes grinding down enemy bases and hunting down stray units a pain.

Also gently caress the pop limit in the first Aztec mission

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Samopsa posted:

What do you mean by Portugal?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Francisco_de_Almeida

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I've been playing through the campaigns on Hard and I'm enjoying the challenge, other than when rear end in a top hat AI villagers continuously rebuild instead of resign. Also the low pop limit for many of them is annoying.

If you Resign>Return To Map at the start of each mission you get a full map reveal so you can strategise without having to put in cheats (which disable achievements if you care about them). Saves alot of time from having to manually explore each mission because most of the time you're really in the dark.

I like how they've reworked some of the older campaign levels to incorporate some of the newer civs and also all the new voice acting.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 25, 2019

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I was almost finished with the third map of the Genghis Khan campaign and somehow my savegame got corrupted and I can't load the save anymore, this sucks so much.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Are AoE 1 DE campaigns worth the hassle of managing its pathfinding?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Sininu posted:

Are AoE 1 DE campaigns worth the hassle of managing its pathfinding?

I'd say so, but I'm a pretty big fan of the time period. I thought some of the campaigns were good fun, though I can't remember which ones.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Was looking at the Steam sale and noticed Sudden Strike 4 is now rated very positive, when it was always kind of trash. Any idea what might have changed?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Has anyone played Cossacks 3 recently? I gave it a try when it first released and something about its factions were weirdly janky. Like, some of them seemed to be missing fairly key units with no alternatives. But recent reviews are very positive and it looks to have maintained something of a playerbase.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz_CKhycqN4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Y5rJbktbM

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202130/Starship_Troopers__Terran_Command/

quote:

Starship Troopers: Terran Command (2020)
A new PC RTS game for q2-q3 of next year.

The game is located after the Big-K (Klendathu War), every campaign will be in a different planet.

You don't play as the Sky Marshal, you play as a trooper and you have to follow orders from the Federation (like sacrificing your own men) to receive "Obedient Points" to unlock favors from the FED, unlock officers, tech, etc. If you do not follow FED orders you can battle out for your own means.

-The game is single-player focused, it wont have multiplayer for now. It will also have skirmish mode (editor mode)
-Original soundtrack from the movie and new music.
-The game will have a long gameplay to enjoy, as every campaign will be different depending on your decisions, your skill tree and your tech unlocked.

Starship Troopers - Terran Command is a thrilling real-time strategy game set in the Starship Troopers movies universe. Take command of the Mobile Infantry and do your part in the war against the Arachnid threat. Build, develop and control your armies to strike an effective balance between tactical superiority and strength in numbers. Ensure that human civilization, not insect, dominates the galaxy now and always!

Planetary Campaigns
Fight for control over an entire planet in the campaign mode, where the storyline and missions develop according to your choices and achievements on the battlefield. Remain obedient to the demands of Terran Command – no matter how costly or ruthless – to benefit from exclusive unit types and special abilities, or follow your own path to glory to become an irrefutable Hero of the Federation. Develop and customize your forces through a detailed technology tree and upgradeable leader characters that can be assigned to your units.

Tactics & Numbers
While the Arachnids can rely on virtually limitless numbers, the Mobile Infantry must develop effective tactics to overcome this imbalance. Deploy your units at strategic locations to cover vital choke points and gain superior firepower through tactical use of elevation levels. Be wary, however, that battle mechanics such as True Line of Sight and True Line of Fire also allow Bugs to lay ambushes around every corner, as they are well known for their use of surprise attacks and deception.

Units & Abilities
An expansive range of unique units, weapons, and special abilities are at the disposal of MI commanders. Infantry squads armed with Morita Assault Rifles and MX-90 Fragmentation Grenades form the mainstay of your forces. Rocket Troopers deliver deadly payloads with pin-point accuracy while Engineers are vital to shore up defensive positions with MG turrets, barricades, and minefields. As a campaign progresses, technological breakthroughs unlock the true potential of the Federation’s arsenal with Power Armor infantry squads, TAC Fighter airstrikes, Marauder mobile suits, and many more developments optimized for spraying Bug ichor across the battlefield.

Key features
- Dynamically generated campaigns for virtually limitless replayability.
- Dozens of unique unit types, each with their own special abilities.
- Terrain elevation, True Line of Sight & True Line of Fire provide deep tactical gameplay.
- An extensive technology tree to develop and customize your forces.
- Persistent leaders can be attached to units and upgraded throughout the campaign.
- Heroics, explosions, gore, and Bugs. Lots of Bugs.

New Starship Troopers RTS coming out in 2020. Graphics look average, but hopefully the game play is decent enough.

It's also got the power armor and mechs.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 4, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Could be decent, if kinda budget, and that press release is ESL as hell. Anyone remember Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy? More of an RTT but it gave you mininukes in the first mission which was p. dope.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like they got the original EVA back to re-record her lines. https://www.reddit.com/r/commandand...udio_recording/

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Mordja posted:

Looks like they got the original EVA back to re-record her lines. https://www.reddit.com/r/commandand...udio_recording/

Link hosed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/e8cxdk/remaster_update_and_eva_audio_recording/

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Tooth and Tail is good

Northgard is good

I don't know why they aren't more popular (though Northgard is peaking around 3500-4000 players every month)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Is Northgard actually a traditional RTS or is it mostly a city/town builder?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deakul posted:

Is Northgard actually a traditional RTS or is it mostly a city/town builder?

It’s a mix. It’s like a really light Settlers game.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I played way too much of the starship troopers custom map on starcraft in high school.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Who'd be interested in a write-up on Heroes of Might and Magic? Admittedly, I've never played V, VI or VII, but the older ones are some of my favourite games of all time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Who'd be interested in a write-up on Heroes of Might and Magic? Admittedly, I've never played V, VI or VII, but the older ones are some of my favourite games of all time.

Me!!!!!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

right here :justpost:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Heroes of Might and Magic is a series of fantasy turn-based strategy games developed by New World Computing before the rights got bought by Ubisoft when 3DO (NWC’s parent company) went bankrupt in 2003. The series is a spinoff of the Might and Magic roleplaying games and takes place in the same universe so there’s a bit of crossover in the setting and story. However there wasn’t much oversight of the continuity and the storylines and settings of each franchise became divergent and contradictory. It got so bad that Heroes IV was a reboot of sorts, and Ubisoft just started from scratch when they took over the franchises.

There are four games (plus expansions) in the series developed by NWC and three more games developed by Ubisoft. Full disclosure: I haven’t played any of the Ubisoft Heroes games so won’t be discussing them here. I also haven’t played much of the original, but have played a lot of II, III and IV.

Personally, I kind of disagree with the OP’s categorisation of the series as straight-up 4X games. They have a lot in common with what I think of as 4X (eg Alpha Centauri) like exploration and city building, but the maps aren’t random and the game is scenario/campaign based. Many of the maps have specific goals that aren’t just ‘conquer everything’ (eg find an artifact) as well as sometimes specific losing conditions (eg run out of time). I think it’s better to think of them as turn-based equivalents to RTS games.

The NWC Heroes games (and Heroes V) are all on gog.com for not too much and are definitely worth a download. I think they still hold up unlike a lot of other games from the 90s/early 2000s and are still pretty playable today, though the earlier ones lack modern conveniences like autosaves. I think part of that is the style of game - everything can be done by mouse and since it’s turn based there’s no rush and no need for keyboard shortcuts.

Gameplay

Each turn represents one day in which you can move heroes, build in town and generally do what you need to do to try and win the game. Combat is turn-based too, where troops take turns moving/attacking until the battle’s over.

The core of the gameplay is controlling the titular Heroes. They are characters who can move about the map with armies and are how you explore, collect resources and fight. While they don’t fight themselves, Heroes control armies and provide support through their skills or artifacts by buffing their army’s stats, or by casting spells in combat. There is also an RPG element where they earn XP from battle or other means and can level up, improving their skills and hence armies. Every hero has a class/alignment (eg Knight, Wizard, Necromancer) and this can affect how they play by what skills are available to them and, in later games, what special abilities they may have.

Towns are another big part of the game. Here is where you buy troops, hire heroes and earn gold. Every town has an alignment determining what troops you can buy there and what special buildings it can have. Each alignment is themed and has a set of heroes sharing that alignment, for example the Necropolis has undead troops. It’s often a victory condition to control every enemy town on the map. Building things requires resources. While towns earn gold, you will also need other resources that you get from mines and caches of resources found on the map. Wood and ore are needed for many buildings and are easy to find, but magical and high-level buildings need special resources that aren’t as easy to find. Each faction is generally reliant on one specific resource for their high-level creatures, for example Warlocks need a lot of sulfur for dragons.

Troops are the final main part of the game. Each alignment has its own assortment from super-weak, like peasants, to super-strong, like dragons and titans. Each kind of troop has its strengths and weaknesses, and many have special abilities. Learning how different troops can interact with each other and the hero leading them is a pretty big part of the game. Combat is not as well-balanced between factions as a lot of other strategy games, but there’s enough depth with tactics to make things interesting.

Multiplayer isn’t much of a focus for the Heroes games. It exists, but not every scenario is playable in multiplayer, and none of the campaigns are. One thing that is cool about Heroes multiplayer is that because it’s turn-based, you can have multiplayer on one computer in Hot Seat mode by swapping out who’s playing each turn.

Games

King’s Bounty was released by NWC in 1991 and, while not (originally) a Heroes game, laid a lot of the foundation for the gameplay so is worth a mention. A lot of the core mechanics of turn-based movement, fighting and town building were established here. It was updated and re-released as Heroes of Might and Magic: Quest for the Dragonbone Staff for the PS2 in 2001

Heroes of Might and Magic: A Strategic Quest was the first main game released in 1995. Most of the broad strokes of the series were established here although there are a few things that didn’t survive, such as using a spell memorisation mechanic rather than spell points. If you’ve played any of the later games then the first one is pretty easy to pick up. The storyline follows Lord Morglin Ironfist who flees his homeland through a magic portal to the continent of Enroth and his quest to conquer it. There are three other warlords who you can play the campaign as, but the canonical ending is Ironfist’s one. There are also a series of standalone scenarios to play.

Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Succession Wars was released in 1996 and is where I cut my teeth. I still go back to it today, although if I’m honest nostalgia is a big part of that. It expands on pretty much everything in Heroes: more troops, more hero classes, more spells, more skills, bigger (and smaller) maps. The graphics and UI also feel more refined than the first one, although a lot of the graphics are identical to the first game. The two campaigns follow either side of the war between Ironfist’s sons, Roland and Archibald, to succeed the throne of Enroth. It received an expansion, The Price of Loyalty, in 1997 which added four new campaigns and a few more buildings and map objects.

Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia was released in 1999 and is probably the pinnacle of classic Heroes gameplay. It kept most of the core gameplay from previous games but again expanded on pretty much everything. The graphics also got a big overhaul from the cartoony style of I and II to a more realistic look. Again there is more of everything plus a few big changes, for example there is now an underworld in some maps. There are seven campaigns set on the continent of Antagarich which, unlike earlier games, are intertwined and tell one story from several viewpoints. The main story is that of Catherine Gryphonheart whose father, the king of Erathia, was assassinated, and her quest to restore the kingdom. The game received two expansions, Armageddon’s Blade and The Shadow of Death which again expanded on the core game with new units, campaigns, map objects and even an entirely new faction. While I didn’t play Heroes III until a long time after it came out, it’s become my favourite of the series since it really does have a very good balance of everything that makes a Heroes game good.

Heroes of Might and Magic IV was released in 2002 and was quite a departure from previous games so it received a fairly negative reaction. While some of it was justified (the new combat map was godawful), I think a lot of it was just because people had come to expect a specific experience from Heroes games which Heroes IV didn’t exactly provide. While the core of building towns, exploring and fighting was fairly similar to previous games, there were some pretty big changes too. The biggest one was that heroes were no longer generals that stayed back and supported armies, they were now characters that could fight alongside their troops. You could now have multiple heroes in one army, or even no heroes at all. They also leaned pretty hard into the RPG side of things with almost 50 possible hero classes and a lot of campaigns/scenarios being focused on individual heroes. There were a lot of smaller changes too, for example perspective was changed from top down to isometric and the world map was now (somewhat) 3D.
The story is a pretty hard reset from Heroes III. At the end of Heroes III the world was destroyed and the campaigns of Heroes IV tell the story of all the factions getting established in a new world. Heroes IV has two expansions: The Gathering Storm and Winds of War. When I first played Heroes IV back in high school, my feelings were pretty mixed, but I’ve come to appreciate the game on its own terms. It’s definitely a big change from the earlier games, and if I’m honest I’ll play Heroes II and III over IV, but I still enjoy it and think it’s a worthy addition to the series.

I’m not going to talk about Heroes V, VI or VII as I haven’t played them.

I love these games because they're immersive and addictive. There's lots to explore and do in each map, and there's always 'just one more turn'. There's also a very satisfying progression in most maps, starting off with a weak hero and army and eventually being able to steamroll everything.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I really gotta get my hands on the third game in the series, huh... that sounds extremely cool.

Have you played the Eador games?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

StrixNebulosa posted:

So I really gotta get my hands on the third game in the series, huh... that sounds extremely cool.

Have you played the Eador games?

Eador was designed by Russian guys who were trying to fix problems they saw with HOMM3, and they were hardcore MP players, so it's much more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

skaianDestiny posted:

New Starship Troopers RTS coming out in 2020. Graphics look average, but hopefully the game play is decent enough.

Crossing my finger that this will not just be a glorified tower defense clone. The gameplay mechanic where you can choose between beinga brown nosing career officer or go your own way, protecting your men seems really interesting and I look forward to see how that works.

Another thing i hope they add is proper kill animations and an action camera like in Ancestors Legacy, where you can push a button and zoom down to be in the thick of things.