Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I've never seen anything so cheesy that I wanted so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwKFQKCTg88

Anyone want a Spinzall? $500 this holiday season instead of $700

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Question, Calphalon is on Amazon but doesn't ship to Austria. Any European chefs got suggestions for non-sticky and normal frying pans?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
T-Fal is a favorite of this forum

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

T-Fal is a favorite of this forum

Used to be.

This is what I recommend now. Hopefully they sell it over there, good luck!
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HBKQR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Croatoan posted:

Used to be.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HBKQR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah but import brings it up to 100 bucks.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Michaellaneous posted:

Yeah but import brings it up to 100 bucks.

Fuuuck that. This is the closest to the T-Fal we usually recommend over stateside. https://amzn.to/2QX006a

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Used to be.

Yeah thats what I use these days. No complaints whatsoever.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Croatoan posted:

Fuuuck that. This is the closest to the T-Fal we usually recommend over stateside. https://amzn.to/2QX006a

I've found this
https://www.amazon.de/Tefal-E85606-Oliver-Edelstahl-Pfanne/dp/B00F6AX2R2/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=tefal&qid=1574863828&sr=8-4

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I get relatively cheap namebrand non-stick pans from TJ Maxx and other department stores and they're typically fantastic and last a very long time. Currently using a Cuisinart 10" nonstick that I paid roughly $16US for. It's heavy-bottomed, easy to clean, and very sturdy. I believe it's this one.

Non-stick pans will eventually wear out, some faster than others, but it'll happen eventually. That Tramontina is beautiful and feels great (I had the luxury of using one a few months back), but you can get a comparably solid non-stick for much cheaper from the right source. I don't know if they have stores similar to TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Century 21 where you're from, but that's usually where I go to get my kitchen/home supplies first. They always have name brand stuff for cheap, like Oxo, Joseph Joseph, Cuisinart, Calphalon, etc.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Looking for a good immersion blender. Bamix Pro seems about what I’m looking for. Any other suggestions?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Croatoan posted:

Used to be.

Flat bottom inside or domed like tfal?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

wormil posted:

Flat bottom inside or domed like tfal?

Not sure what you mean exactly but it's flat bottomed with curved sides. It's not like a saucier or anything

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Any recs on a small bread maker? Looking for a gift for my mother-in-law who has celiacs and also can't move around too much. I remember using a bread maker at an ex's apartment that was super easy. Was gonna get her the pre-mixed gluten free bread mix as well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Croatoan posted:

Not sure what you mean exactly but it's flat bottomed with curved sides. It's not like a saucier or anything

The tfal, or some of them, has a high spot in the center so sauces run to the outside. Kind of annoying.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

wormil posted:

The tfal, or some of them, has a high spot in the center so sauces run to the outside. Kind of annoying.

Oh I gotcha now. I thought I had just warped it once. This one is flat

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Croatoan posted:

Oh I gotcha now. I thought I had just warped it once. This one is flat

I've warped my cheapass high edge tfal pan almost immediately making it useless for all but pasta sauces.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Some of them come that way. My IP liner is the same. I think it's a hedge against it warping some other way. My 10" tfal is dead flat but the 12" is domed, they are also made differently, the 10 is definitely higher quality. I hardly use them anymore but my wife does and I'm going to need replacements soon and was looking at the Tramontina.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I want to use this weekend as a chance to get a stand mixer at a discount. I'm looking at KitchenAids and while I don't mind springing for the pricier models it seems like the KA Pro 6's larger bowl would give me troubles if I'm doing smaller batches of things.

Most of my cooking is things I'm cooking just for myself. So I'd imagine I'd be aiming to more often be doing smaller breads or batches of pasta and what not. Does anyone have much experience using the Artisan or Classic for smaller batches?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

wormil posted:

I hardly use them anymore but my wife does and I'm going to need replacements soon and was looking at the Tramontina.
Like some of the Amazon reviews, my 12" Tramotina warped within a month of usage.

I'll grant that this was a few years ago, it was ordered online and shipped. I wouldn't say I treated it with kid gloves, but I also didn't do anything dumb like cook high ior dunk until cold water when it was warm.

After reading the previous T-Fal recommendations, I picked up one from Homegoods a few months ago. It hasn't warped yet and for the price, it's been a good deal for me.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I'd still recommend the Instant Pot though if you have the extra cash. I'm certain it'll be on sale on Friday or Monday.

Totally valid advice, but this is a counter space issue: it's at a premium in my kitchen, and I'm looking for a rice cooker small enough that it can live on my counter. This is why I didn't want one of those really big ones!

I do plan on buying an Instant pot one of these days, but I want the big one, so it's going to have to be stored in a cabinet between uses, just like the crockpot.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 2, 2019

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Well, not the big one, but a great price on the 6 quart: $65

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTPTS/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Squashy Nipples posted:

Well, not the big one, but a great price on the 6 quart: $65

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTPTS/

Costco also has it for that price if you're close to one. I grabbed one last week. I'll probably grab the Vitamix deal they have going today too.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Verisimilidude posted:

Any recs on a small bread maker? Looking for a gift for my mother-in-law who has celiacs and also can't move around too much. I remember using a bread maker at an ex's apartment that was super easy. Was gonna get her the pre-mixed gluten free bread mix as well.

We tried several bread makers cheap from the local thrift store. All of them went back except for the Zojirushi - it makes good bread. We have a relative with celiacs and it has no problems with the recipes he needs. If it ever dies I will cry a bit and spend the $$ to buy a new one.

It might be bigger than you like and new they are not cheap.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If it’s for personal use I think the 1 pound loaf zoji is a good size. I have trouble eating a 2 pound load before it goes bad

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I have trouble eating a 2 pound load before it goes bad

Oh to have your problems.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Hexigrammus posted:

We tried several bread makers cheap from the local thrift store. All of them went back except for the Zojirushi - it makes good bread. We have a relative with celiacs and it has no problems with the recipes he needs. If it ever dies I will cry a bit and spend the $$ to buy a new one.

It might be bigger than you like and new they are not cheap.

I should note that the Zoji Virtuoso (and its successor, the Virtuoso Plus) have dedicated gluten-free settings, and are pretty well-recommended (though still pricey).

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Might be a strange question, but what's a good salt shaker?

Bought some MSG and realized having it in a bag isn't that handy. I was gonna just grab the cheapest on amazon but reviews there say it rusts easily and quickly. I could store it in a tub but I might as well get a shaker for it if I'm gonna leave it on my counter instead of in the spice cabinet.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I just use small Tupperware for my assorted cellars.
Easy to grab a pinch and sprinkle and also plenty of room to scoop measured quantities.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I use small ball jars for different salts and the plastic screw on lids they look nice all lined up.

E: to actually answer your question they have shaker lids you can put on ball jars too. I just find it's better to keep salts stored air tight.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 9, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Comic posted:

Bought some MSG and realized having it in a bag isn't that handy. I was gonna just grab the cheapest on amazon but reviews there say it rusts easily and quickly. I could store it in a tub but I might as well get a shaker for it if I'm gonna leave it on my counter instead of in the spice cabinet.

Just buy one of the small shakers of aji-no-moto and refill it from the big bag.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Comic posted:

I live where it's annoyingly humid for most of the year and this is handy.
https://smile.amazon.com/Set-Plastic-Dispenser-Seasoning-Container/dp/B07KVP4WLV/ref=sr_1_172?keywords=salt+shaker&qid=1575906547&sr=8-172

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I have a salt grinder that I use exclusively for doritos

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

My partner has cooked rice on stovetop for years and I want to get them a nice rice cooker. Could anybody give some thoughts on the options below?

Looks like the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 and NS-TSC18 are generally recommended as the high end cookers, and both land around the $160 mark. I'm not really sure the difference between those though? Is one just a newer model with miniscule differences?
Not really sure where the NS-ZCC10 compares to those, it's about the same price, but...is prettier I guess?
The NP-HCC10XH looks to be the ultrapremium option, though not really sure if it's worth the extra $100 for keep warm setting, but I guess it being made in Japan gives the justification for that extra cost.
There are a couple others (Panasonic), but glancing around none of them really seem to stand out above the Zojirushi options. Any I should be considering?

Any advice would be fantastic.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lhet posted:

My partner has cooked rice on stovetop for years and I want to get them a nice rice cooker. Could anybody give some thoughts on the options below?

Looks like the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 and NS-TSC18 are generally recommended as the high end cookers, and both land around the $160 mark. I'm not really sure the difference between those though? Is one just a newer model with miniscule differences?
Not really sure where the NS-ZCC10 compares to those, it's about the same price, but...is prettier I guess?
The NP-HCC10XH looks to be the ultrapremium option, though not really sure if it's worth the extra $100 for keep warm setting, but I guess it being made in Japan gives the justification for that extra cost.
There are a couple others (Panasonic), but glancing around none of them really seem to stand out above the Zojirushi options. Any I should be considering?

Any advice would be fantastic.
All of the Zojirushis you list have automatic keep warm (which is awesome). The main difference between the ones that are around US$150 and the one that's around US$250 is that the more expensive one is induction. I don't have that model, but I've owned one of it's induction-cooking ancestors for over a decade. I can't really say whether or not the induction cooking is worth the extra benjamin, but I absolutely do think that it cooks better than any non-induction cooker I've used before.

If I had to replace mine, I'd absolutely go for the induction model, with my reasoning being that I use the loving thing constantly, so slightly higher convenience/quality a several times a week averaged over more than ten years is worth the extra US$100. But I'm in the position that an extra US$100 isn't a major budget decision and, like I said, I use the thing a loving lot. If either of those wasn't true, it is absolutely the case that you can get perfectly fine rice out of a US$50 rice cooker that will also last for years.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I have an Aroma rice cooker that I use a handful of times per month that has lasted me like 6 years now. It works fine, and I'd probably buy it again but in a much smaller size. The 10 cup one is goddamned enormous and I should have just returned it when it was gifted to me to get the smaller one that is exactly the same price.

I have jealously eyed the Zoijirushis, especially since I love the coffee maker I have from them, but I simply don't eat (or need to eat) enough rice to justify it.

(I just felt the need to chime in because you mentioned the cheapo ones working fine, to confirm)

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 11, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FYI at least with my Zojirushi NS-LHC05XT, the cook time for rice of any volume is 60 minutes. There is a setting for quick rice which lowers it to I think 40 min and seems to do fine with our normal basmati. It was a bit of an unpleasant surprise coming from cheaper rice cookers which do the job in 20-30 min.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

FYI at least with my Zojirushi NS-LHC05XT, the cook time for rice of any volume is 60 minutes. There is a setting for quick rice which lowers it to I think 40 min and seems to do fine with our normal basmati. It was a bit of an unpleasant surprise coming from cheaper rice cookers which do the job in 20-30 min.

The longer cook time definitely bites you in the rear end at first but you can set timers so it cooks in time for you to get home or you can have it start cooking as you head to the gym and it will kick to auto warm at the end so whenever you get home and start cooking you've got rice.

My only gripe with them is that I live alone and they only make as little as one scoop of rice (I've had weird results with getting the water right for less) so I always end up with at least a little extra rice left over and second day rice from the fridge kinda sucks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
NM, I'm just going to get the Poplite air popper.

I want to get a popcorn popper under $50 for Christmas but can't decide. People love or hate the air poppers. Some say they are gross, others love it, the reviews are no help except I guess they are slow? The stovetop Whirley Pops review well but I don't want to stand there cranking one. The Stir Crazy has good reviews but it's huge and I don't have a lot of space plus reviews say it's hard to clean. The silicone microwave things might be good enough, people seem to like those too. I have analysis paralysis. It has to be simple enough that a teenager will use it.

wormil fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

captkirk posted:

Second day rice from the fridge kinda sucks.

Fried rice or leave it in water overnight and make real quick congee it's good.