Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
other than the legendaries, what's a good general-use pokémon for raids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Your Computer posted:

I made a Togekiss with Light Screen, Reflect, Follow Me, and Tri Attack. I don't think I've lost a raid since, even with all AIs

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dienes posted:

I Still haven't encountered any and pretty sure I'm gonna miss out on it. :( I hate this Go poo poo in a mainline game.

It goes until Jan 5th dude, and they’re very common. If you need friends for even more chances join the Pokegoons discord.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 4, 2019

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

RatHat posted:

It goes until Dec 5th dude, and they’re very common. If you need friends for even more chances join the Pokegoons discord.

Is there any special process to get one to spawn, other than just find a red light and get lucky?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RatHat posted:

If you need friends for even more chances join the Pokegoons discord.
Link?

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Ville Valo posted:

Thanks for the Destiny Knot / cycling Eiscues advice, gang! Anyone able to give me a tutorial on using items like Carbos?

The stat-boosting items have gotten better this gen, as you used to only be able to use them only for the first 100 EVs. Now you can use them up to the max amount of EVs you can gain (252) so a max of 25 or 26 (I'm not entirely sure if it will let you use the 26th one since it will only give you 2 EVs but it will definitely let you use 25 before that). There's really nothing to using them-every dose gives 10 EVs of the corresponding stat. Most EV spreads are pretty simple: you want 252 in two stats and then 6 more in the last stat. What stats depends on the Pokemon and its role in your team. You *generally* want to play to a Pokemon's strengths with your EV investment. So for a sweeper that would be maxing speed and relevant offensive stat. For a tank you would want max health and relevant defensive stat. There are certain mons that have slightly crazy EV spreads but by and large 252/252/6 will serve you pretty well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kooriken posted:

For a tank you would want max health and relevant defensive stat.
Or max HP and the attacking stat, depending on the type of tank! :pseudo:

Yeah, pretty much what Koo said.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Is there any special process to get one to spawn, other than just find a red light and get lucky?

They can spawn anywhere. One of the raids spawned for you right now is probably a Snorlax. If not, they reset at midnight or when you clear out all your current raids.

Pokegoons Discord

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

6 boxes of growlithe later I'm starting to question if I should be breeding for 6 IV or just grind for shiny...like both have poo poo chances but suddenly shiny chances don't seem as bad. As I have never done breeding before, is this normal? I've got more 5 IV than I can shake a stick at.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CubeTheory posted:

I made a Togekiss with Light Screen, Reflect, Follow Me, and Tri Attack. I don't think I've lost a raid since, even with all AIs

That's a very good idea

I had a grimmsnarl with Light Screen Reflect and T Wave, prankster lets you move first immediately and make sure your idiot NPCs can take a hit or two (sometimes)

T Wave is useful because it can cut raid damage output by half if you're lucky, but Ithink they can remove it at low HP.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That's a very good idea

I had a grimmsnarl with Light Screen Reflect and T Wave, prankster lets you move first immediately and make sure your idiot NPCs can take a hit or two (sometimes)

T Wave is useful because it can cut raid damage output by half if you're lucky, but Ithink they can remove it at low HP.

Yeah, they can. Was running will o' wisp + charm until I figured out that "cleared other Pokemons stat changes" also included the raid Pokemon and it was just written awfully. Even clears status effects. Doesn't do light screen/barrier though

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I used my master ball on a butterfree because I thought it would be funny

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Are there any good romhacks that only raise the levels in HGSS?

HGSS Golden Edition might be less intense than Storm Silver/Sacred Gold. Its got a lot of random QoL stuff, but it has a level curve patch that bumps up gym leaders levels and gives a fourth move to some of their team.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

PMush Perfect posted:

Uranium is far from the worst fan game out there. Yeah, it's really stupid, but it's also labor-of-love stupid. Like someone got all their notebook scribbles about Pokemon ideas when they were twelve and put them all in a game. Given some of the other poo poo I've seen, Uranium is kind of :shobon:.

No it's actually just bad

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CubeTheory posted:

that sounds pretty hilarious

what sort of stats do you go for?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RatHat posted:

It goes until Dec 5th dude, and they’re very common. If you need friends for even more chances join the Pokegoons discord.

Umm, you mean January?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Your Computer posted:

that sounds pretty hilarious

what sort of stats do you go for?

Tanky stats, mostly in Hp and SpD. Leftovers in the item slot. Damage matters so little in raids, the AIs will eventually get it done as long as you keep them alive.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Genovera posted:

Here's a post about breeding I did a couple weeks ago. The only thing to add to it is that if you are shiny breeding (probably don't shiny breed) you absolutely want the shiny charm and a foreign language ditto. Shiny charm triples your chance, using two different language pokemon multiplies it by 6. I personally don't aim for shinies and just breed a bunch of different stuff, because I go mad if I don't see progress and you can't really make progress shiny breeding as it's just luck.

Just want to emphasize too, getting the right ability and right nature is your #1 step, do IVs after that.

A good write-up, thank you. I'll need to save that for later.

Meanwhile, I just caught a 5-star Magic Guard Clefable, my oldest favorite. It's got almost perfect IVs and a lame nature, but that's nothing a little drugs won't fix. :kimchi:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Umm, you mean January?

Oops, yeah

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Your Computer posted:

Strong Jaw Dracovish with a Choice Band spamming Fishious Rend can be a good nuker and hit hard even through shileds, but Dynamaxing isn't really an option for them unless you're desperate to destroy the shields, as it's actually a huge downgrade in power for them.

Generally something bulky with decent offenses can suffice for raids since surviving is a bit more of a priority than DPSing. Of course if the mon in question is at level 100, that makes a lot more things bulky by sheer outleveling the Pokemon, so a lot more options open up there.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

TeenageArchipelago posted:

That there isn't a Pokemon that evolves into a ghost type of it leveled up in the fight where it was knocked out is disappointing

Revive should remove Ghost-type

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

Your Computer posted:

I worked up a Milotic with Scald/Light Screen/Haze/Life Dew and a Clefable with Moonblast/Reflect/Light Screen/Life Dew, and both have been worth their weight in gold in Max Raids. Pretty much anything that can take some hits and set up Reflect and/or Light Screen is really great for keeping your side up and healthy.

Admittedly, Haze has only been really useful on Butterfree with its Quiver Dancing, so I'm considering dropping it for a second attack type on Milotic. Water Absorb is not fun for my little sea serpent.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

CubeTheory posted:

I'd suggest switching Follow Me with the move that heals the entire party, to cover those that can attack the entire team.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Epic High Five posted:

I usually keep at least 2 of every treasure item because there is a vendor who buys them for more than they sell and to keep things organized. To the best of my knowledge if the description says "for selling to vendors" in one way or another, you're fine to sell it. DO NOT SELL BOTTLECAPS.
Please don't sell fossils, either. You'll need them for your frankenpoke abominations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bell_ posted:

Please don't sell fossils, either. You'll need them for your frankenpoke abominations.

You're guaranteed 3 IVs from them (Unless I"m just insanely lucky) so unless you just wanna shiny hunt I suggest just selling them anyway. Cause they've got no egg moves and you can nature and IV change now so.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

So, the fossil Pokemon can be shiny when you make them? I'm debating if I want to reset for that a billion times or not. ....I wonder if the Shiny Charm affects it....

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AngryRobotsInc posted:

So, the fossil Pokemon can be shiny when you make them? I'm debating if I want to reset for that a billion times or not. ....I wonder if the Shiny Charm affects it....

Soft resetting for fossils is a long and true tradition for the criminally insane. Best of luck, friend.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is there a way to force this stupid game to use my ethernet or whatever, so I don't have to disconnect to reconnect to use things like twitter or check my friend list or whatever? I'm not even connected to the internet in game. What even is this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Is there a way to force this stupid game to use my ethernet or whatever, so I don't have to disconnect to reconnect to use things like twitter or check my friend list or whatever? I'm not even connected to the internet in game. What even is this

It hijacks internet to have “local connection” available so you can play with people around you while you’re partying on a rooftop.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It hijacks internet to have “local connection” available so you can play with people around you while you’re partying on a rooftop.

This game severely overestimates my social life.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pocket monsters

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

No matter how much I pay these digging dumbos, the only fossils I seem to find are drake and fish :(

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Pentaro posted:

No matter how much I pay these digging dumbos, the only fossils I seem to find are drake and fish :(

You have shield, correct? You only get two of the fossils in each game. You need to trade with someone with sword to get the other two.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

do u believe in marigolds posted:

You have shield, correct? You only get two of the fossils in each game. You need to trade with someone with sword to get the other two.

The fossils aren't exclusives, one of the diggers by the wild daycare can find all four. Only catch is each version has two that are rarer finds.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Level Seven posted:

The fossils aren't exclusives, one of the diggers by the wild daycare can find all four. Only catch is each version has two that are rarer finds.

There's where I got my two extra fish heads.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I actually lucked into a raid ditto with 4 best's and a no good on speed. Almost feel like it is more valuable then a 6 best ditto since I was able to immediately breed up a boss Ferrothorn.

Any chance you're on the pokegoon discord? Can I get one of the Ferroseed breeding rejects with 0 Spd IV? I've got a HA Hattena to trade (with 0 Atk IV if that sweetens the deal :v:), also a HA Corviknight and Gyarados I can breed

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Oh wow battling online with a well trained team is fun. I love when somebody just dynamaxes mid-battle or making them bungle their strategy by not doing the obvious (like switching out when it’s Leafeon v. Arcanine and you’ve only got grass and bug moves).

I wish they had let you customize your dynamax animation though. Maybe in Pokémon Knight.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Have you tried doubles? Doubles is where it's at

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Eimi posted:

6 boxes of growlithe later I'm starting to question if I should be breeding for 6 IV or just grind for shiny...like both have poo poo chances but suddenly shiny chances don't seem as bad. As I have never done breeding before, is this normal? I've got more 5 IV than I can shake a stick at.

Is there a specific reason you are breeding for 6IV? What nature, EVs, and movesets are you using? Most sets I've seen for arcanine don't use special attack.

Best case scenario you are breeding two 6IV parents, and the eggs have a 1/32 chance of being 6IV, about 3%. That would be pretty unlucky, like a 99.6% chance to have gotten one or more 6IV in 180 eggs. If you are using two 5IV though the chance is significantly lower. What IVs are the parents?

Your shiny chance, assuming have the shiny charm and use different language parents, is 8/4096 or 1/512, which is about 0.2%. If that is the case the chance of having gotten one or more shiny in 180 eggs is about 30%. No masuda method is 3/4096 and your chance of having gotten one or more shiny in 180 eggs is 12%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I fell in love with Falinks at first sight. I'm looking to make a good Falinks as my first breeding project, and I have some Dumb Questions:
Is a hidden ability almost always a straight upgrade? It looks like Defiant is just a straight upgrade over Battle Armor in pretty much every regard.

Do I want low speed IV on this if I'm planning on using moves that I'd like to go second (Assurance, Counter)? That's how this works, right? Or is low speed pretty much only useful for Trick Room users and negative priority movesets (since they're using moves that are coming out later anyhow)?