Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

It is weird but their new strategy seems to be focusing more on genre movies which is how you get this almost Mission Impossible-looking spy/action film and Doctor Strange 2 apparently being a horror film.
Havent they been pushing that story for ages tho?
"No, you see, winter soldier is a political thriller like all the president's men....."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish it was really leaning into genre, but the action looks like the same old same old.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

LesterGroans posted:

That looks like a DTV action movie. Which isn't necessarily a negative.

I'm the person who hasn't seen ENDGAME and doesn't care to, a handful of other Marvel movies as well, yet think this looks :krad:.

Clearly Marvel is in a transitional era if I'm the guy getting appealed to lol

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Havent they been pushing that story for ages tho?
"No, you see, winter soldier is a political thriller like all the president's men....."

I never got the sense that they were the ones doing that, mostly the fans, but I forget. Either way it wasn't really the case with Winter Soldier, but IDK this doesn't look that different from something like Atomic Blonde to me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hakkesshu posted:

It is weird but their new strategy seems to be focusing more on genre movies which is how you get this almost Mission Impossible-looking spy/action film and Doctor Strange 2 apparently being a horror film.

I'll believe it when I see it. Like Punkin Spunkin said, they've definitely tried to sell that before. However...

cvnvcnv posted:

I'm the person who hasn't seen ENDGAME and doesn't care to, a handful of other Marvel movies as well, yet think this looks :krad:.

Clearly Marvel is in a transitional era if I'm the guy getting appealed to lol

I agree that it looking like it was shot in Prague on a kind of shoe-string budget has me intrigued. I'm just worried they don't have the Big Blue Laser effects done, so that's why we don't see it in the trailer.

David Harbour as chubby Captain Russia is pretty neat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This looks ok. I wish it came out 5-6 years ago though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
While that doesn't look like something I would go out of my way to watch, it also doesn't look like something I'd be too reluctant to get dragged to. A little Bourne, a little Atomic Blonde, a little Scott Adkins DTV movie, a little... Deadpool, I suppose? Though at least Deadpool and Atomic Blonde had some decent production design, and this looks like it's under the impression that people didn't think the white suits in Avengers: Endgame were laughably bad. But if a friend really wanted to watch that for movie night, I'd give in after only throwing out 2 or 3 other suggestions. So Marvel is doing something right, I guess—but like cvnvcnv said, I'm not really sure why they're trying to appeal to me. It's not a winning strategy.

e: Though if this is the sort of thing we can expect for the Fox properties... yikes no thanks.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 3, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teagone posted:

This looks ok. I wish it came out 5-6 years ago though.

Yeah, my feeling after watching that trailer is "eh, it's been done". Not that every movie has to break new ground and reinvent genres or anything but, it just has that feel of copying prior successes instead of being someone's own inspired project. Like it's the product of contractual obligation.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If you're famed Avenger, Black Widow, why would you need multiple IDs and passports, especially after all the Thanos stuff? Doesn't like... the entire world know your face at this point?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

If you're famed Avenger, Black Widow, why would you need multiple IDs and passports, especially after all the Thanos stuff? Doesn't like... the entire world know your face at this point?

This movie takes place before that, but after Civil War.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Does DTV mean direct to tv? I don’t care if you think it looks bad, but the combination of cinematography and special effects are above pretty much anything on television.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The MSJ posted:

This movie takes place before that, but after Civil War.

Ah, well still, I'd assume she's be pretty high-profile anyway.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

why would you need multiple IDs and passports

Such an amusing trope to me. The incredibly time consuming and laborious task of creating identities and the documents which stand up to real scrutiny yet according to film and tv, all spies get a bunch of them slopped down on their plates like school cafeteria mashed potatoes.

"More?"
*splat*
"Thank you, lunch lady, I need 12 whole identities."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

Would I be right in thinking the villain is Taskmaster?

Correct

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ghostwritingduck posted:

Does DTV mean direct to tv? I don’t care if you think it looks bad, but the combination of cinematography and special effects are above pretty much anything on television.

Direct to video

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Disney TV

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Direct to VHS. Dust off that old Magnavox.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hope they do right by my boy Tasky.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Weird movie to make a doc about but okay then i guess. It's not like, The Shining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEZ2r1YGKSA

I found out about this the other day, don't think it's been posted yet.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

looks like doodoo. Scar-jo is wasted on Marvel. Time to rewatch Under The Skin.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

spanky the dolphin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEZ2r1YGKSA

I found out about this the other day, don't think it's been posted yet.

Was probably posted over a year ago.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
down to vaaahhk

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

looks like doodoo. Scar-jo is wasted on Marvel. Time to rewatch Under The Skin.

Or Lucy, which is like a superhero movie only she's more powerful than Superman.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Or Lucy, which is like a superhero movie only she's more powerful than Superman.

Actually really looking forward to Marriage Story because I get to see her act again!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
scarjo was luminous in jojo rabbit

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84qajQ7qlW8

quote:

The plot revolves around three systems engineers “Fang Yuan (Female, 25 years old), “Ren Ren (Male, 30 years old)” and “Bai Song Min (Male, 30 years old), where three of them created a “Perfectly Transparent System” for an organisation 20 years ago. Unfortunately, they discovered that the organisation leader “Mike (Westerner, 30 years old) intends to sell the system to the law-breakers. In the end, they have decided to immediately ceased the operation and chose to part ways as a means to refrain Mike from doing what he desired. Due to a peculiar combination of circumstances, Mike intoxicated Fang Yuan with alcohol on the day before she left and took advantage of her, which later found out that she was pregnant with his daughter “Fang Rui”!

20 years have passed and now Fang Rui (Female, 20 years old) is an interior designer. She chance upon Ren Ren’s godbrother “Xiao Wei (Male, 20 years old), whom is a Youtuber. Coincidentally, Xiao Wei is working in the networking company of Bai Song Min’s son “Bai Tao (Male, in his 20’s). Three of them have zero idea about the complex relationships amongst their parents until Xiao Wei accidentally swap his laptop with Ren Ren one day and resulting in one of the computer repair technician to discover the shocking secret – which is the “Perfectly Transparent System” from the past! The computer repair technician later transform the system into an app and smuggles it to the law-breakers. The world descends into chaos, and at the same time the police officers arrest Xiao Wei and the rest of his friends to bring the entire truth to light. As a result, Fang Yuan, Ren Ren and Bai Song Min finally reunite with each other again when they learned that their children create a disaster out of the app. In order to prove that the children are innocent, Fang Yuan take action to retrieve the app from the law-breakers and destroy it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Ah, well still, I'd assume she's be pretty high-profile anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74UhNg7K7TY

-a person who can still get away with a wig and a fake passport

e: sorry, I keep mistaking this for the comic book thread

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 4, 2019

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The three genders, Male, Female, and Westerner

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIhNsAtPbPI

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yikes that new Bond trailer looks like reheated leftovers

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I've only ever seen like five James Bond movies and have only really liked like two of them. This one has me pretty stoked mostly because of Rami Malek and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jewmanji posted:

Bond has been reheated leftovers for decades. It's kind of its thing. But they can still be fun!

Cast looks good and, despite an absolutely abysmally cut trailer, I'll probably catch it halfway through on HBO in a couple of years.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"One thing's for sure :geno:, it's going to be a hell of a reunion. :geno:"
Imagine being so basic and boring that that trailer excited you. I mean if you're literally 12 then it's fair enough.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 4, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

How many more movies can we make based around the central conceit of “Bond is an aging Cold War relic”?

Eventually, Eon has to do something different, right?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Marvel was a curse to this world

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Jewmanji posted:

I was honestly going to make a comment about how the last movie's trailer at least had the cool "henry cavill cocking his arms" shot, until I remembered that wasn't a Bond film

What was the last one? Spectre? Why are they still making these

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

They had something good for 1,5 movies and then they decided that their big angle is that the new modern bond story arc is actually all about getting to the antiquated roots of the series.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Polo-Rican posted:

Why are they still making these

Merchandise and branding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Less James Bond, more Benoit Blanc.