Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Acute Grill posted:

Bill Barr managed to fly under my radar until relatively recently but holy poo poo how did this stupid motherfucker rise as high as he did? How has this country managed to function (for a certain definition of the term) this long in spite of these assholes?

He's probably not completely stupid at legal reasoning. He's a manager who lacks scruples, has a hosed moral compass, and is part of a tribe that consider this presidency to be Gabriel over the White House, and think that's a good thing.

The pool here wasn't deep, the bar for a lot of things isn't nearly as high as you seem think, and hiring criteria are only rarely what we wish they were and never what we''d dream them to be.

* - I mean, I can't judge, but I have to assume. Legal gatekeeping and the senate confirmation process may be a joke, but they both can't be that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Donsutherland97/status/1197604895995465728

https://twitter.com/AwwwwCats/status/1197606094459342848

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Buffer posted:

He's probably not completely stupid at legal reasoning. He's a manager who lacks scruples, has a hosed moral compass, and is part of a tribe that consider this presidency to be Gabriel over the White House, and think that's a good thing.

The pool here wasn't deep, the bar for a lot of things isn't nearly as high as you seem think, and hiring criteria are only rarely what we wish they were and never what we''d dream them to be.

* - I mean, I can't judge, but I have to assume. Legal gatekeeping and the senate confirmation process may be a joke, but they both can't be that bad.

Barr is 100% there to protect King Trump, after everyone figured out that Sessions only took the post so he could realize his dream of generally being evil to undesirables and keeping marijuana illegal.

quote:

On December 21, 2017, Sessions rescinded 200 pages of guidance documents. Some of those 25 guidance documents had included warnings not to impose excessive fees on the poor, not to ship some guns across state lines, and to encourage accommodation of the developmentally disabled.[96] Sessions's recessions were criticized by the United States Commission on Civil Rights and prompted a lawsuit by the City Attorney of San Francisco.[97][98] In 2018, Sessions shuttered the Justice Department's Office for Access to Justice, which had focused on legal aid.[99]

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Acute Grill posted:

Bill Barr managed to fly under my radar until relatively recently but holy poo poo how did this stupid motherfucker rise as high as he did? How has this country managed to function (for a certain definition of the term) this long in spite of these assholes?

He's the Baby, gotta love him!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Crossposting:

Whenever Chuds claim that 'Trump made the rest of the world respect America again' I can't help but laugh.

Even European right-wingers that agree with Trump on nearly everything think that the guy's a clown.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vichan posted:

Whenever Chuds claim that 'Trump made the rest of the world respect America again' I can't help but laugh.

Even European right-wingers that agree with Trump on nearly everything think that the guy's a clown.

It's going to be immensely cathartic to see the world's reaction to the next Democrat who takes the White House after Trump, if such a thing actually happens. Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize simply for succeeding George W Bush, god only knows how the world will celebrate Trump's successor, provided they're not another Republican.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nine-gear crow posted:

It's going to be immensely cathartic to see the world's reaction to the next Democrat who takes the White House after Trump, if such a thing actually happens. Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize simply for succeeding George W Bush, god only knows how the world will celebrate Trump's successor, provided they're not another Republican.

Hopefully she'll get a nobel prize for instituting a universal health care system, election reform, a green new deal and protecting Kurds and south american refugees from genocide.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

The world isn’t going to congratulate the US on pulling away from fascism and open corruption again when the US has now proven they will happily double down on it with next president.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Slashrat posted:

The world isn’t going to congratulate the US on pulling away from fascism and open corruption again when the US has now proven they will happily double down on it with next president.

But yeah actually this, I don't see how you're coming back from Trump. It's gonna take something different for sure, because boy fuckin howdy has your elected president been pissing off your allies or betraying them to Russia at an amazing rate.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

Nice piece of fish posted:

But yeah actually this, I don't see how you're coming back from Trump. It's gonna take something different for sure, because boy fuckin howdy has your elected president been pissing off your allies or betraying them to Russia at an amazing rate.

The only good thing trump will have done is reduce American influence permanently.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Going Bush Sr. > Clinton x2 > Bush Jr. x2 > Obama x2 > Trump has been a crazy ride. The US cannot be trusted to keep to its treaties for more than 4-8 years and its presidents will lie to get its allies into wars, knowing the fallout will be the next presidents problem.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1202063359698440198

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1202075447317667851

https://twitter.com/d20fitness/status/1202103319696678912

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1202181781061062658

DebtBeat
Oct 17, 2016

Nice piece of fish posted:

I just finished the Chernobyl miniseries and the Trump admin reminds me of the effects of that - international embarassment and severe damage to the credibility of the US. It's a significant blow to US hegemony for sure. I remember how hated Bush II was abroad but Obama mostly managed to mend those relations. Trump is just so loving stupid and petty I don't see how we regain international credibility.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/1202144429261426688

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

DebtBeat posted:

Trump is just so loving stupid and petty I don't see how we regain international credibility.

I dont think we do. Trump has shown that we are always four years away from electing some nutjob who tears up all the old agreements because the other guy made them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

Jesus christ, y'know, I hadn't really thought about that.

The next Democratic president is going to have a popular mandate to support ANYTHING.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RBA-Wintrow posted:

The US cannot be trusted to keep to its treaties for more than 4-8 years and its presidents will lie to get its allies into wars, knowing the fallout will be the next presidents problem.

That's all shameful as hell, of course, but is there any point in American history where this wasn't the case?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vox Nihili posted:

That's all shameful as hell, of course, but is there any point in American history where this wasn't the case?

W was a much worse President than Trump, but he didn't predicate his whole administration on reversing the actions of the prior administration. Largely because Clinton was also a terrible President

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
running your campaign from jail seems like it would be hard to do

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1202194294221746176?s=20

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i don't know. potus has veered us so far off course that i think the world will latch onto and embrace for dear life anyone who wins that is obviously of sound mind. i think they'd actually like us more than they have in many, many years at that point. we still have like 2/3 of the world's military, you know, so they will collectively sigh in relief and celebrate. other countries will basically bend over backwards for the next sane president.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

nine-gear crow posted:

Looking back, how much effect did Obama's Nobel Peace Prize intensify the average Republican voter's anti-globalist position?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/fotornelas/status/1202065077328924672

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rip Testes posted:

Looking back, how much effect did Obama's Nobel Peace Prize intensify the average Republican voter's anti-globalist position?

It had an effect value of 7

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

"Sir, they have rope technology. I repeat, they have rope technology."

Edit: "We never should have underestimated them. Call the president, tell him we have a problem."

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jesus christ, y'know, I hadn't really thought about that.

The next Democratic president is going to have a popular mandate to support ANYTHING.

And if anyone but Bernie wins, the democrats are going to trip over themselves to piss away this mandate.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump administration is announcing changes to SNAP(Food Stamps) today

https://mobile.twitter.com/RBReich/status/1200869859287949312

https://mobile.twitter.com/business/status/1202041119061753861

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

I made the mistake of reading the replies. It’s hilarious how quickly their goalposts change from “The wall will stop illegal immigrants” to “at least it slowed some of them down and only physically fit people can make it across”.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmao what a country to elect this ape

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1202216997716709377?s=19

:allears:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

"Sir, they have rope technology. I repeat, they have rope technology."

Edit: "We never should have underestimated them. Call the president, tell him we have a problem."

Remember when Trump was talking about how he would build a beautiful wall and people won't be able to cross it and then he remembered that ladders were a thing?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One dumb thing anytime food stamps make the news is the people who have to bring up “I saw someone use it for booze/steaks/whatever luxury item”, showing they have no idea how this stuff works or are lying about parroting some dumb Facebook message. Probably both.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

i don't know. potus has veered us so far off course that i think the world will latch onto and embrace for dear life anyone who wins that is obviously of sound mind. i think they'd actually like us more than they have in many, many years at that point. we still have like 2/3 of the world's military, you know, so they will collectively sigh in relief and celebrate. other countries will basically bend over backwards for the next sane president.

No matter what happens, the post-Trump years are going to weird. We could get a "welcome back to sanity!" response from the rest of the world. Or maybe global fascism accelerates around the time that we're pulling back from the edge and the next president has to deal with several dozen mini-Trumps on the world stage. Or maybe the gutted federal agencies have to spend their entire term rebuilding themselves from nothing and it undermines the next president's ability to do anything. Or possibly we'll be scavenging up tribute for our local warlord so that we can get a bottle of Tylenol. With what Trump has done being so abnormal, whatever follows is going to have to be abnormal.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Remember when the hivemind declared that liking mechs was “fascist” because I brought them up.

Anyway, grudging respect to this guy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

President Big Strong Tough Guy got his pwecious widdle fee fees hurt.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Oh boy here comes another round of tariffs :jerkbag:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Trump's holding a press conference in about two hours. This should be good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNmnAdrvvQI

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Today should be Spicy after the video of all the world leaders making fun of him was posted yesterday.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Remember when the hivemind declared that liking mechs was “fascist” because I brought them up.

Anyway, grudging respect to this guy.

Ok but to be fair, a huge proportion of mech fiction is super fashy.

Mechs are cool tho.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Kammat posted:

Trump's holding a press conference in about two hours. This should be good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNmnAdrvvQI

Womp womp.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1202218639547621377?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Strong Man President