Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Ok boomer has been completely driven into the ground and lost all meaning already. I laughed and liked it the first day I saw it, but when my 11 year old cousin hit me (a 30 year old millenial) with it, I knew it was dead already

You'd think so, but apparently somehow it still makes people melt down?

The humor is not on the phrase itself being particularly pithy or clever, the humor is watching someone who can't count all of his divorces or heart attacks on one hand explain why it's the new n-word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It’s so good watching the generation that constantly complains about snowflakes and political correctness lose its goddamn mind at a pithy phrase mocking them.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Lol

AITA For submitting a sex toy to a 'white elephant' gift exchange?
For our annual friends White Elephant Party there is always an assortment of wacky sex-themed gifts as well as some sincerely good gifts. There's like 8-12 couples each year and it's always a blast.

Last year my wife got a candle and a cookbook, and I walked away with a grilling spatula and a ‘Clone a Willy’ at-home dildo making kit.

Well this year I decided to enter a raunchy gift paired with a cool gift. I submitted a his/hers gift meant to be funny, but also cool. I submitted a dildo (common gift) and Bluetooth speaker.

It was hilarious at first, reveal of a dildo. Couples were stealing it from one another, presumably for the speaker but still funny, and it a lot of much attention - people were slapping it, throwing it and twirling it around in the air, wiggling it, making playful sex acts with it. One of the other wives was slapping her face and pretending to do a blowjob.

Well everything was going well until my wife asked where I got it. I didn't tell her at first because it was a last-minute addition to my gift and a normal dildo, but she went ballistic when she found out that I made it out of the mold. I used the mold kit because I had it laying around and didn't want to buy a new toy and might as well use this kit (which was a White Elephant gift from the year prior). Also, all of our friends give raunchy gifts and it was well within the level of appropriateness.

She freaked out when I told her and screamed at me in-front of all of our friends. She stormed out and I had to console her outside for 15 minutes while everyone kept on opening gifts. Neither of us even got to pick a gift because of our absence. After fighting we were cordial and went back in for a little before eventually heading home, never found out where the gifts ended up either.

Wife hasn't talked to me all day and I really hate being in fights around Christmas time. I have had mixed reactions from my friends saying it was funny and other saying I took it too far.

So looking for your perspective on this Reddit, am I the rear end in a top hat or did she overreact?

Edit: size doesn’t matter here

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Power Khan posted:

Lol

For our annual friends White Elephant Party there is always an assortment of wacky sex-themed gifts as well as some sincerely good gifts. There's like 8-12 couples each year and it's always a blast.

Last year my wife got a candle and a cookbook, and I walked away with a grilling spatula and a ‘Clone a Willy’ at-home dildo making kit.

Well this year I decided to enter a raunchy gift paired with a cool gift. I submitted a his/hers gift meant to be funny, but also cool. I submitted a dildo (common gift) and Bluetooth speaker.

It was hilarious at first, reveal of a dildo. Couples were stealing it from one another, presumably for the speaker but still funny, and it a lot of much attention - people were slapping it, throwing it and twirling it around in the air, wiggling it, making playful sex acts with it. One of the other wives was slapping her face and pretending to do a blowjob.

Well everything was going well until my wife asked where I got it. I didn't tell her at first because it was a last-minute addition to my gift and a normal dildo, but she went ballistic when she found out that I made it out of the mold. I used the mold kit because I had it laying around and didn't want to buy a new toy and might as well use this kit (which was a White Elephant gift from the year prior). Also, all of our friends give raunchy gifts and it was well within the level of appropriateness.

She freaked out when I told her and screamed at me in-front of all of our friends. She stormed out and I had to console her outside for 15 minutes while everyone kept on opening gifts. Neither of us even got to pick a gift because of our absence. After fighting we were cordial and went back in for a little before eventually heading home, never found out where the gifts ended up either.

Wife hasn't talked to me all day and I really hate being in fights around Christmas time. I have had mixed reactions from my friends saying it was funny and other saying I took it too far.

So looking for your perspective on this Reddit, am I the rear end in a top hat or did she overreact?

Future archeologists will congratulate themselves on finding that lede.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Power Khan posted:

Lol

lol holy poo poo this is so good.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That one is telegraphed as soon as you read what gift they brought home last year.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for never talking to my parents again for not showing up to my wedding?

I grew up having to worship my parents because they adopted me at one day old so they "saved" me. They tried to make me as dependent on them as I could be. I lived in constant fear of displeasing them, which could be for any reason due to my dad being a raging alcoholic. The older I got, the weird-er our relationship got, but that's not really what this is about, just some backstory.

7 years ago I met an amazing guy that I knew I wanted to marry, despite never wanting to be married, mostly due to being told I should never want that so I could only rely on my parents. Good thing I was always really independent, because after 6 years of being together, we got married. I wouldn't change that for anything, either.

Well, day of the wedding comes around and my parents text me that they're at the alter waiting for me. Except that was a total lie. They didn't show up at all. They even texted my sister saying they have their dogs in the car and they brought them on purpose so they wouldn't have to be there. I was heart broken. I can't even look back at the photos because I can't see any happiness in my face after marrying the most amazing person ever. So all of my wedding photos are ruined too. My dad texted me after the reception, but I didn't even read it. I just deleted the text and blocked the number. I blocked my mom's number. I blocked them off of facebook, I cut them out of my life with no remorse. It was pretty quick and painless, and it felt pretty good too, if I'm being honest! I hadn't lived under their roof or asked them for money since before I had even moved out. So it was a clean break and I broke out of the abuse. I also felt like abusing me was stressing them out too. So it was a win-win both ways. They're completely cut out of my life now. I've been taking care of my younger sister until she can fend for herself so she doesn't have to go through it either.

My dad is my birth mother's biological uncle. I am actually close with my birth mother so I am close with all of my dad's family and hear often of him.

Well, about 7 months ago I found out I was pregnant. Of course I traveled to see my family to tell them. But I never told my adopted parents. My dad posted on facebook about how excited he was to be a grandfather. I told all of our friends and family that he isn't my child's grandparent, we haven't even talked in over a year now.

Recently they've been trying to reach out and reconcile. They've tried emailing because I forgot to block them. I didn't read it and just blocked them. They've tried to get my aunt to talk to me. I don't tell her anything, just that I don't want to talk to them. They even snail mailed my house. I just disregarded the letter.

Soon I'll be moving into a new house and they'll never be able to contact me again because they won't have my new address. I don't feel bad at all.

I completely cut my parents out of my life. AITA?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Uncle Enzo posted:

Oh yeah, I was loving another girl for the last month, and the only reason I haven't hosed her recently is because we were too busy with work, but I was totally going to end things with her next chance I got, yessir. By the way now that you bring it up want to be "exclusive"? Like in the sense I'll stop loving the other girl who I have been with for the entire duration of our relationship, and who I have almost certainly not told I had started dating someone else. I was totally going to though.

What a dirtbag. 6 weeks is way into the "assumed exclusive" zone unless you're completely upfront. I don't really know the exact amount of time you can be in a new relationship before needing to break off with a FWB, but it's certainly a lot less than 6 loving weeks. Like, I would imagine if you hit it off with somebody and you go out with them a couple times, they seem interested in you too, time to drop the FWB. Like as soon as you think there's a "relationship" at all, you gotta stop with the other partner.

Yeah, seriously. That dude's a gross shithead who wanted the easy sex with his FWB until the very last minute when his new girlfriend inevitably figured it out because most people aren't pathetically dumb scumbags like he is. Like, I get that sex is great and very awesome with a compatible partner... but it's the unspoken decent, ethical rule to stop sleeping with other people after a couple successful dates or so, let alone 6 loving weeks. The fact that he thought it was acceptable behavior for well over a month is horribly disgusting and borderline sociopathic.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

DemoneeHo posted:

The mod post got locked so no one can directly reply to it.
Imagine being a reddit mod but being scared that people will reply to you with "ok boomer" so you just prevent people from being able to reply to your mod posts. Sounds like a safe space to me!!!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Should my 19 [M] BF wear friendship rings connected to a previous LD *long distance crush/onlinefriend with a 18 [F].

Me 21yr old [f] met my 19 yr old [m] bf on tinder. We hit it off really well and made an amazing connection. We've been dating 7 months . I found out though, shortly after dating a few weeks. That he was hurting from his previous crush/online gaming friend 18 [F]. It was LD. They had met before several times in Florida. But never made anything official. She ghosted him after she stopped feeling the same way. He kept two rings (one on his finger and one on a necklace he wore). At first I thought having one of the rings. Would make me feel closer to him. It only made me feel jealous and insecure beacuse it wasent meant for me. I took it off. He wanted closure, and I wanted to help him feel less sad. Beacuse I felt like I only had parts of him.

I reached out to her and basically told her that he was hurting and that I just was concerned for him. He struggles with mental health. (I just saw from his perspective this friendship of 5+ years and I was someone he just met. I think it's alright to have friends of any gender as long as its respectful to the relationship) They reconnected a bit and now occasionally talk (maybe every other week) Then I found out she was still wearing the ring he gave her. Feeling insecure I asked him if he could stop wearing it. He did, but he also expressed that he felt like I was being a bit controlling? Beacuse I didnt let him, let go of the ring on his own time. Part of me feels guilty but part of me feel like it's alright to discuss boundaries ? (Even thought I have a difficult time setting them in relationships)

LT;DR Should my 19 [M] BF wear friendship rings connected to a previous LD *long distance crush/onlinefriend with a 18 [F].

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for never talking to my parents again for not showing up to my wedding?

I grew up having to worship my parents because they adopted me at one day old so they "saved" me. They tried to make me as dependent on them as I could be. I lived in constant fear of displeasing them, which could be for any reason due to my dad being a raging alcoholic. The older I got, the weird-er our relationship got, but that's not really what this is about, just some backstory.

7 years ago I met an amazing guy that I knew I wanted to marry, despite never wanting to be married, mostly due to being told I should never want that so I could only rely on my parents. Good thing I was always really independent, because after 6 years of being together, we got married. I wouldn't change that for anything, either.

Well, day of the wedding comes around and my parents text me that they're at the alter waiting for me. Except that was a total lie. They didn't show up at all. They even texted my sister saying they have their dogs in the car and they brought them on purpose so they wouldn't have to be there. I was heart broken. I can't even look back at the photos because I can't see any happiness in my face after marrying the most amazing person ever. So all of my wedding photos are ruined too. My dad texted me after the reception, but I didn't even read it. I just deleted the text and blocked the number. I blocked my mom's number. I blocked them off of facebook, I cut them out of my life with no remorse. It was pretty quick and painless, and it felt pretty good too, if I'm being honest! I hadn't lived under their roof or asked them for money since before I had even moved out. So it was a clean break and I broke out of the abuse. I also felt like abusing me was stressing them out too. So it was a win-win both ways. They're completely cut out of my life now. I've been taking care of my younger sister until she can fend for herself so she doesn't have to go through it either.

My dad is my birth mother's biological uncle. I am actually close with my birth mother so I am close with all of my dad's family and hear often of him.

Well, about 7 months ago I found out I was pregnant. Of course I traveled to see my family to tell them. But I never told my adopted parents. My dad posted on facebook about how excited he was to be a grandfather. I told all of our friends and family that he isn't my child's grandparent, we haven't even talked in over a year now.

Recently they've been trying to reach out and reconcile. They've tried emailing because I forgot to block them. I didn't read it and just blocked them. They've tried to get my aunt to talk to me. I don't tell her anything, just that I don't want to talk to them. They even snail mailed my house. I just disregarded the letter.

Soon I'll be moving into a new house and they'll never be able to contact me again because they won't have my new address. I don't feel bad at all.

I completely cut my parents out of my life. AITA?

I feel like they got the adress of the church wrong and were in fact at the altar waiting, and she's totally going off the rails.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Pirate Radar posted:

That one is telegraphed as soon as you read what gift they brought home last year.
If there's a clone-a-willy kit above the mantel in the first act

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Power Khan posted:

I feel like they got the adress of the church wrong and were in fact at the altar waiting, and she's totally going off the rails.
Well, you could assume the woman is crazy and hysterical, or you could read the post

quote:

They even texted my sister saying they have their dogs in the car and they brought them on purpose so they wouldn't have to be there.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also did you miss the opening paragraph about them being emotionally manipulative and abusive shitheads?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Oh yea, I completely forgot that we blindly swallow everything that op writes.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Literally anyone posting about their manipulative and abusive parents are never the rear end in a top hat, not even a little bit!

E: I mean this 100% unironically

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cousins ex bf is suing me because I reacted violently to a horrible prank he pulled.

I am from Oregon. One of my cousins (now ex) bf of a year, who is trying to become a famous YouTube prankster pulled a prank on me where he pretended to abuse my little cousin.

When I came home I heard yelling and the sounds of hitting and crying coming from my cousins room. When I ran up the stairs her bf came out and I asked what the hell was going on. In his words, “that b*tch cheated on me, so she got what she deserved” as I could still hear crying from that room and he was blocking the door from letting me in.

I immediately blacked out(my dad used to physically abuse my mom in front of me, he knows this) and punched and kicked and next thing I knew he was on the floor screaming it was just a prank. I went into the room and he had a recording of a girl screaming but no one there. My cousin wasn’t even in on the prank, she didn’t know it was happening.

I checked if he was ok and his nose was bleeding, and his braces had cut really badly into his lips. I drove him to the ER because he was claiming he couldn’t breathe out of his nose. He ended up with a fractured nose, and got stitches in his lip. The ER bill came out to almost $2k and he’s telling me I need to pay it. I refused.

My cousin has since broken up with him.

He’s now suing me for assaulting and for the hospital bill.

I still have the phone he was using to record the video but no way to access it because neither I or my cousin knows the passcode.

What can I do? Is there a way for the court to demand he unlock his phone? Is it just his word against mine? I have no other proof besides his channel where he’s pulled pranks but not to the extent of this.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Anne Whateley posted:

Well, you could assume the woman is crazy and hysterical, or you could read the post
I don't understand what that sentence means. Where did they bring the dogs? Why does that help them not show up somewhere?

No one else seems to have an issue with her cutting them off, so she's probably in the right, I just want to know what that text meant.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not gonna lie got stuck for a really really long time at "My dad is my birth mothers biological uncle" before I finally sussed it out

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Power Khan posted:

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but if someone tells me their parents were abusive growing up, I am generally inclined to believe them in the absence of contradicting evidence. Not sure why you feel otherwise.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Motronic posted:

So in other words they live together, go on dates together, share a friend group together, spend time at the house together and intend to marry each other... see what I’m getting at?

sidepiece.txt

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't understand what that sentence means. Where did they bring the dogs? Why does that help them not show up somewhere?

I think it meant they were at the venue but brought the dogs in the car so they had their excuse for not standing ready.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Cousins ex bf is suing me because I reacted violently to a horrible prank he pulled.

I am from Oregon. One of my cousins (now ex) bf of a year, who is trying to become a famous YouTube prankster pulled a prank on me where he pretended to abuse my little cousin.

When I came home I heard yelling and the sounds of hitting and crying coming from my cousins room. When I ran up the stairs her bf came out and I asked what the hell was going on. In his words, “that b*tch cheated on me, so she got what she deserved” as I could still hear crying from that room and he was blocking the door from letting me in.

I immediately blacked out(my dad used to physically abuse my mom in front of me, he knows this) and punched and kicked and next thing I knew he was on the floor screaming it was just a prank. I went into the room and he had a recording of a girl screaming but no one there. My cousin wasn’t even in on the prank, she didn’t know it was happening.

I checked if he was ok and his nose was bleeding, and his braces had cut really badly into his lips. I drove him to the ER because he was claiming he couldn’t breathe out of his nose. He ended up with a fractured nose, and got stitches in his lip. The ER bill came out to almost $2k and he’s telling me I need to pay it. I refused.

My cousin has since broken up with him.

He’s now suing me for assaulting and for the hospital bill.

I still have the phone he was using to record the video but no way to access it because neither I or my cousin knows the passcode.

What can I do? Is there a way for the court to demand he unlock his phone? Is it just his word against mine? I have no other proof besides his channel where he’s pulled pranks but not to the extent of this.

LOL, OP needs to hire a lawyer but this is like a torts exam example of IIED by the lovely ex-bf of the cousin, no one has really ever had it coming more than that guy hahaha

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
"We're at the altar waiting"

quote:

They even texted my sister saying they have their dogs in the car and they brought them on purpose so they wouldn't have to be there

Ok, right "Lol younger daughter, we're not even here, we got the doggos with us", they're supposed to be using their dogs to justify how they're not there at all, while they're saying that they're right there? Not even outside near the car, she doesn't try to contact them or send somebody out to ask if they're even at the right place or what's going on and instantly blocks everything without even spending a second to inquire what's happening when her dad tried to contact her.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There really needs to be a glossary of all these terms

drippini
gurglesquirts
taking a tubby
appies

etc

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My boyfriend [25m] just accused me [24f] of sleeping with my mentor [35m] in my degree program. How to do damage control?

yeah, they bangin'

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sagebrush posted:

There really needs to be a glossary of all these terms

drippini
gurglesquirts
taking a tubby
appies

etc

Shrimpy youngman

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Power Khan posted:

Ok, right "Lol younger daughter, we're not even here, we got the doggos with us", they're supposed to be using their dogs to justify how they're not there at all, while they're saying that they're right there? Not even outside near the car, she doesn't try to contact them or send somebody out to ask if they're even at the right place or what's going on and instantly blocks everything without even spending a second to inquire what's happening when her dad tried to contact her.

Not gonna lie, everything about the adopted parents' actions sounds more suspicious here because it would be super easy for other people at the wedding to confirm if there was a mixup of some sort. And they were in contact with people at the wedding, including her sister. If they really had any intention of being there, at some point, someone would've cottoned on and at least told her they hosed up. Nothing of the sort happened, and she even tried reaching them herself. And through other people.

Not to mention they tried to discourage her from getting married because that would mean she wouldn't be dependent on them. And she claims they were emotionally abusive, which the wedding shenanigans seem to support. If they were sincerely mistaken, they would've let someone know when, I dunno, literally any of their relatives may have texted "where are you, we're all here and the wedding's starting?" Unless you made a habit of refusing to believe the children of abusive parents when they come forward about abuse? She even mentions her adoptive father/great-uncle was an alcoholic and was afraid of "displeasing" him, and that their relationship "got weird-er" the closer she came to physical maturity? And you're just saying "naw that's all fine, she's overreacting?"

And despite being cut off for years, her biological great-uncle/adopted father expresses his pride in "becoming a grandfather?"

I dunno, sounds like a narcissistic parent, and also creepers.

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 4, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

therobit posted:

Future archeologists will congratulate themselves on finding that lede.

Archaeologists ? The petroleum industry would be doing good to find it with oil at $10k a barrel.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

LT;DR Should my 19 [M] BF wear friendship rings connected to a previous LD *long distance crush/onlinefriend with a 18 [F].

Shut the gently caress up. That's what you should do. Both in terms of posting, and in your partner's old relationship. Oh, and talk to them. That might help determine what they actually need.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The "parents wedding cutoff" post got taken off r/aita because it broke Rule 5, meaning the mods also saw even the slightest possible implication of a sexual violence accusation, even though none was present in the text proper

Which means the mods took a look at the phrase "The older I got, the weird-er our relationship got," immediately got skeeved out about the situation the way I did, and promptly nope'd it out of the subreddit.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Dazerbeams posted:

spurtswear

:vince:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Xarbala posted:

Not gonna lie, everything about the adopted parents' actions sounds more suspicious here because it would be super easy for other people at the wedding to confirm if there was a mixup of some sort. And they were in contact with people at the wedding, including her sister. If they really had any intention of being there, at some point, someone would've cottoned on and at least told her they hosed up. Nothing of the sort happened, and she even tried reaching them herself. And through other people.

Not to mention they tried to discourage her from getting married because that would mean she wouldn't be dependent on them. And she claims they were emotionally abusive, which the wedding shenanigans seem to support. If they were sincerely mistaken, they would've let someone know when, I dunno, literally any of their relatives may have texted "where are you, we're all here and the wedding's starting?" Unless you made a habit of refusing to believe the children of abusive parents when they come forward about abuse?

And despite being cut off for years, her biological great-uncle/adopted father expresses his pride in "becoming a grandfather?"

I dunno, sounds like a narcissistic parent

I know, but Op's post had very little background with just a few catchphrases to set the scene, I'm pretty sure this is fake. Ofc one can project all sorts of things into that. She deleted the thread and seems to have lost interest after trying to clarify once, as the thread didn't take off. On to the next creative writing effort.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Power Khan posted:

I know, but Op's post had very little background with just a few catchphrases to set the scene, I'm pretty sure this is fake. Ofc one can project all sorts of things into that. She deleted the thread and seems to have lost interest after trying to clarify once, as the thread didn't take off. On to the next creative writing effort.

ah, c'est la vreddit

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Following up on

UPDATE - My [31F] boyfriend [30M] staunchly believes we did an art class together a long time ago. We never did and it is tearing our relationship apart, as he thinks i am lying, and i don't know what to think.
Original Question: HERE

Wanted to thank everyone for the advice and help. I did what people suggested and sat him down and explained why it was bothering me so much and how my ex used to gaslight me. He apologized and told me he must have been remembering things wrong.

But it didn't matter at all, because we found the answer to the mystery last night when we visited his sister, and this topic came up.

It turns out that his sister was the one who did the art class with him, and it wasn't actually at the local college but at a local crafts store. She didn't have the paintings, but was able to dig up a bunch of photos of her and Tom's stuff, including the painting that Tom remembered.

This was a weird last two weeks, but i am glad this is over with.

TL;DR; We were both wrong.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

dumbasses

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Power Khan posted:

Power Khan posted:

Could you just like... very plainly state whatever conclusion you're walking around with these posts?

e: gently caress, you made a new response while I was writing this one

Power Khan posted:

I mean, I guess, maybe. I thought we agreed to not sit around discussing whether or not a post is real in this thread?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

yeah, they bangin'

Who, the boyfriend and the professor? Yeah probably

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
UPDATE - My [31F] boyfriend [30M] staunchly believes we did an art class together a long time ago. We never did and it is tearing our relationship apart, as he thinks i am lying, and i don't know what to think.

I'd say this is probably real, if it's not, this is just the perfect organic dumbassery that I'd strive for as a creative writer. Just the right mix between banal and weird, with a deflated ending that makes all parties feel like idiots.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

QuarkJets posted:

Could you just like... very plainly state whatever conclusion you're walking around with these posts?

e: gently caress, you made a new response while I was writing this one

I mean, I guess, maybe. I thought we agreed to not sit around discussing whether or not a post is real in this thread?

Idk, I'd off the bat assume that everything in there is fake. I'm reading these for too long to NOT notice people recycling the "good" stories and motives over and over in various qualities. I don't mean the same themes happening over and over - that's the human condition, because people will always cheat with coworkers, friends and relatives or complain about their MIL and their idiot bosses, or be troubled by all the themes around weddings, etc.

Most is badly done, I'd not totally preclude that there's real ones in there too, but usually the real stuff is less over the top and often written in a way that is less polished and bullet pointed (Somehow I'm thinking about the woman with the snake-cock tatoo of her ex). It's just bland to read the same loveless writing over and over every day and sieve out the good ones.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Well I'll just say this: it's important to remember that the human brain is extremely good at finding patterns, in fact it's so good that it'll easily find patterns that don't even exist. While certainly some fraction of the stories will be fake, sussing out which ones are real or not is surely a fool's errand. What might look like a bad bit of creative fiction to you could just as easily be someone who's just trying to narrate their true story.