Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

painted into a coroner posted:

No Irish general election :(

It's fine, the Tories have still got 8 days to invade you and then you can join in ours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Shoutout to the galaxy brains who think the solution to the Brexit border problem is for Ireland to just leave the EU as well, or even join the UK

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In our CLP area the counting agents collate data from different wards - not sure how it works, but I think it's to do with the boxes when they come in. We have about 40 wards and boxes from around 90 polling stations.

It's important because we have some wards that in the bottom 20-25% deprived areas of Wales and some that are right at the top and all points in between.

chestnut santabag posted:

Hello fellow first time counting agent!
You should get a briefing on what to do, particularity as there are important rules like don't touch the ballot papers, but basically there's two things that happen. first phase, the cast ballots are all counted to determine the sum total of cast ballots - this should get done fairly quickly and you may be attempting to sample survey them as they're being counted to try and get a preliminary idea of the outcome for party internal usage. Second phase is the votes are then sorted into containers and counted - at this point you'll be watching the other parties' containers to ensure your party's votes are not being mistakenly placed there. There's other stuff like how to interact with the media if they're present (short answer is: you don't, but you may be in the background of a broadcast so dress accordingly) and what happens with unusual ballots but you should be getting the full rundown from your candidate's agent.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Might want to think about comfy shoes, too. The couple of times I've done it it's been about six straight hours of standing and occasionally walking around on hard floors, after a long day of being up and about already.

e: And if you're currently employed, take the day after off. You'll be there until the wee hours of the morning.

Thanks for the advice, good one about the shoes. And yes, I definitely have they day off the next day (people in my CLP says the count generally wraps up about 2am for Havant)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Get yer shiny shiny podcast here, fresh from the content mines:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1202127533006823424?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Might listen to this one

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Shook. As. Fook.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/04/bbc-impartiality-precious-protect-election-coverage

quote:

Those who criticise our election coverage by focusing on a couple of mistakes ignore the overall quality and evenness.

But some people have chosen to ignore all of this and focused instead on a couple of editorial mistakes that they suggest are either emblematic of all our election coverage, or damning evidence of an editorial agenda that favours the Conservative party.

Conspiracy theories are much in vogue these days.

Fran Unsworth is the BBC’s director of news and current affairs

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Woke up to see Piers Morgan screaming at Sadiq Khan about why won't Jeremy launch the nukes. :byodood:

God, who wants to watch this at half seven in the loving morning? Apart from my housemate, I mean.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
CUKTIG have a manifesto? CUKTIG are still trying to get elected? Wow

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Manifesto is a big word for a six page doc with margins wider than our galaxy, but yes.

Also it has a worse version of the skills wallet.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s the age-old defence of “We’re not lying, we’re just incompetent”

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
a bit melty of me but I've got a low-key headache and about a hour and a half of sleep so i've taken the day off ill. luckily i have a cushy office job so I can do this.

I think ill let praxcast soothe me to a nice 10 hour delayed slumber.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PawParole posted:

Anarchists are just liberals dressed in black
I put on my ski mask and throw a free trade agreement through the window of a developing country.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I promise I won't subject everyone to the Sun front page every day but I thought this was interestingly weak.

All but the most insanely right wing Brits seem to think that Trump is either too far or just too unstable for them. A front page dedicated to "serial liar Donald Trump says 'nuh-uh'" and claiming that it has 'crushed' a Labour claim feels like scrambling to me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chuff McNothing posted:

a bit melty of me but I've got a low-key headache and about a hour and a half of sleep so i've taken the day off ill. luckily i have a cushy office job so I can do this.

What was your excuse? I like to go with the classic stomach bug but have to be careful not to overuse it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Why does this article exist? Surely the better option would be to just stay quiet about the criticisms so that they fade away from discourse.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

quote:

Conspiracy theories are much in vogue these days. But we are a large organisation that employs thousands of independently minded journalists. Our editors employ their judgments on their own programmes for their own audiences. These aren’t the ideal conditions for a conspiracy.
it's possible for people to be hired and promoted based on criteria including their personal politics; individual managerial decisions based on these will then produce a systemic bias without any need for a conspiracy

quote:

And we would be particularly inept conspirators were we to produce and broadcast a two-hour leaders’ special debate – a debate in which the prime minister was robustly challenged by the public – run highlights of it on our evening bulletins, cover it in full online and yet rely on a clumsy one-second edit in a short news summary the next day as a means to convey our supposed support for the governing party.

Similarly, to suggest this is in some way linked to an editorial mistake made a fortnight previously by a different team in an office hundreds of miles away, in which an archive cenotaph clip was wrongly used in a news package (about an event broadcast in its entirety by us the day before) is fanciful.
i assume the teams responsible for the clips are different from the teams responsible for the original broadcast - the original broadcast team might be unbiased, but a bias in the clips team might, surprise surprise, produce a corresponding bias in the clip output

it is known that the BBC is a state-biased broadcaster; do you remember the edited clips of Orgreave. that was you being competent because it wasn't immediately revealed. i'm entirely willing to believe that this is the result of a few individual, separated actors at the top of the organization deciding individually that the sections of the BBC's output that they are personally responsible for shouldn't make the government look bad, because it'll affect chats down at the golf course. this would produce something resembling an incompetent conspiracy

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What was your excuse? I like to go with the classic stomach bug but have to be careful not to overuse it

nothing in the email beyond "I have to take today off Ill". The hr portal has a category for headache/migraine so I used that and if pushed ill just claim it's bad enough i can't look at screens.

My go to is a nondescript 24hr fever

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Chuff McNothing posted:

Are you me? Because I'm doing the exact same.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Are you both my wife? Because she's doing that too

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've been hacking up phlem for five days now so I've taken the plunge and put a point on my Bradford factor today too.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Chuff McNothing posted:

I'm on my 3rd consecutive sick day. To be fair I feel like poo poo and my throat is on fire and I'm tired as hell, but my manager is pretty lax about it. He also doesn't want to get sick which is what would happen if I came in and coughed over everything so it's best for everyone.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cannot decide if this is the best thing or the absolute worst thing.

https://twitter.com/acidwomble/status/1201943848127213568

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Why is this article in the guardian and not the BBC?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I work from home but my partner is "working from home" i.e. pulling a sickie without actually pulling a sickie.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd normally wfh and try to get some naps in but today's the end of sprint bullshit so that's off the table

unlike NHS which is very much for sale

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Aphex- posted:

I'm on my 3rd consecutive sick day. To be fair I feel like poo poo and my throat is on fire and I'm tired as hell, but my manager is pretty lax about it. He also doesn't want to get sick which is what would happen if I came in and coughed over everything so it's best for everyone.

Neoliberalism may not like it, but this is what peak management performance looks like.

When you take into account the impact on morale and productivity of forcing people to work when they're ill, it's pointless. Exception is if you're in say customer service and can work your minimum wage staff to the ground then dismiss them when they have problems.

Bruce Daisley has some interesting things to say about it although he gets shirty if you try to make any kind of political conclusions from his management stuff (which says things like "former workers make the most competent managers")

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
half our output is unbiased, and half is biased towards the government (we'we weawwy twying to stop this sowwy uwu, we awe smow BBCean). hence, on average, no bias exists

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Failed Imagineer posted:

IIRC you can pretty much put the verbs and nouns and whatnot in any order in Latin and it's still perfectly cromulent. I guess it can emphasise different things but you won't strictly be wrong. But loving hell 6 noun cases, gimme a break

Yep. Latin rap was pretty awesome because of that. Check out Catullus' diss tracks (not Dis tracks) for some pretty scathing stuff.

I got an E in A-level Latin due to sadbrains and no special needs support, but I'm genuinely tempted to look back into it so I can write some Latin hip-hop. Memorising boring poo poo by dullards wasn't for me, but I did enjoy attempting wordplay. I once argued that Alcyone piously offering the gods incense was a mistranslation, and that instead she incensedly offered the gods pie. I also summarised the storm sequence from that work beginning:

"Seamen scattered as Ceyx remembers Alcyone."

I also once responded to an exercise about using qui quae quod etc by writing "qui quid faciens cui?" (I think :psyduck:), meaning "who is doing what to whom?"

I then refused to try to write any more examples because I knew I wouldn't be able to come up with anything better. Ah, autism :D

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

josh04 posted:

Lmao zizek elevates it to best thing

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I wish I could take sick days off now, nobody else is in so I need to come in. :(

I've had a glandular infection forever and it's wearing me right down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

big scary monsters posted:

It's the damned hateful, intolerant left again. It's like with those young Tories going on about how people call them names, or Tory MPs complaining that they get "scum" shouted at them, or the many articles about how hard it is to "come out" as Conservative, with all the insulting parallels being drawn with actual persecution of minorities. Like, you can just loving stop being a Tory. You know you're poo poo, people tell you on a daily basis you're poo poo, it's clearly causing you pain to be so poo poo. Just stop doing it?

They don't think they're poo poo, though, that's the point. They think they're responsible people making the tough decisions. It's like an MLM. The people at the top know they're poo poo but they're getting rich, the people in the middle dream of being the people at the top, but the people at the bottom just want to make a bit of scratch and got suckered in by being told what they wanted to hear. The Tories are dying out now because they've reached the point in the scheme where there's nobody new to sucker in.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 4, 2019

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

josh04 posted:

Further proof of Corbyn's cult of personality! Where will this disgusting autocrat stop?!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And by that process they can't just stop being a tory any more than you can just stop being a raging red.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

josh04 posted:

Holy poo poo :stwoon:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Anyone interested in that being one long youtube clip instead?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

And by that process they can't just stop being a tory any more than you can just stop being a raging red.
Can they grow out of it though?

I've seen the "your political positions are fixed at what they are at 21" or whatever, but how much of that is that a lot of people stop consuming political works that challenge their views at around that age, and just settle into things that confirm their views?

Brexit seems to have shocked a bunch of Tories out of being Tory, but how many of them just became piss diamonds idk

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/mmaher70/status/1202010517713379328?s=19

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I've seen the "your political positions are fixed at what they are at 21" or whatever, but how much of that is that a lot of people stop consuming political works that challenge their views at around that age, and just settle into things that confirm their views?

Brexit seems to have shocked a bunch of Tories out of being Tory, but how many of them just became piss diamonds idk

How does that work, just personally I in no way have the same positions I had when I was 21. At 21 I was a liberal who felt there was a place for free market solutions anywhere in society, now I want to nationalise everything we can and turn everything else into workers co-ops.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Oh sure yeah your views can mutate over time but you can't just snap your fingers and say "I have completely different political beliefs now."

As you note it usually coincides with some sort of upheaval in your life or in the political landscape, a change of circumstances or an event which causes you to question your political beliefs. If you've been used to people hating your politics from the start then that's not going to necessarily change them, though losing your house or such might, as might something that personalizes a position you had previously externalized, like your kid coming out as gay, while a lot of people entrench and become even more bitter, for some people that can be the impetus to get better.

Like it's possible if I become filthy rich I might turn into a tory, but I'm definitely not going to as long as I'm in the state I'm in.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Archaeology Hat posted:

How does that work, just personally I in no way have the same positions I had when I was 21. At 21 I was a liberal who felt there was a place for free market solutions anywhere in society, now I want to nationalise everything we can and turn everything else into workers co-ops.

It did work from 1979-2015 because neoliberalism had kept politics completely static without any competing ideologies so where you landed politically as you hit adulthood would be able to stay fairly immobile during all that time.