Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://youtu.be/WQj12sETg1s

2:20. There's even snow gathering on his suit for fidelity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sandepande posted:

"Delivery" looks like SweetFX-shaded Skyrim. Blizzard? With like a dozen snowflakes visible at once? Gots to be early days tier-0 implementation.

ED: The snowy planet is fairly decent (in that tiny video) and the draw distance is nice, maybe SC will find its niche not as a space sim per se, but as a Best drat Traveling Simulator Ever.

Will it beat Death Stranding for travel simulator, though? After all, Death Stranding seems to deal with luggage much better.
:thunk:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

WaltherFeng posted:

He seems to be under the impression that if a game is developed in a reasonable time and budget it's somehow hot garbage no one wants to play ever again.

He must be glad that star citizen has no timetable, no fixed buget and is not a game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
r/ChroniclesOfElyria

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

ah, the rare Double Reverse Stalking Reddit Reacharound. Vertisce, I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay, credit where credit's due: the aerial version of the blizzard tech looks pretty good. Still some technical challenges and it's not really game mechanics, but I'd be suitably impressed if I flew into this in my spaceship. This is the kind of atmospheric effect that makes planets feel a bit more alive.

https://streamable.com/ik7e1

Do we know which Cryengine Lumberyard middle-ware particle generator the CIG intern Senior Head Lead Developer stumbled onto and clicked Load on Default_Snow_Conf?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

UnknownTarget posted:

ED bashers always get a lol out of me. Most of the people playing that game are ones that have sunk hundreds of hours in but still complain about nothing to do. I'm sorry it's not your forever game?

It is a strange attitude to be sure when talking about ED. It's not like the game has really changed much from when it launched so if it has been ok for 500 hours they probably got their money's worth.

There are, obviously, legitimate issues that can happen after 100+ hours in something. I was looking at buying Steep (alpine sports game by Ubisoft) and some of the negative reviews with 100+ hours played mentioned one or more patches that not only changed the physics to make the gameplay go from great to bad but also made it so the game suddenly would not launch on a bunch of older CPUs. Stellaris had the massive changes around 2.0 that made the game very different from what it had been before and upset a lot of people to make them no longer recommend the game. Those reasons seem like fair grounds to complain, but ED now isn't really a different experience from ED around launch as far as I can tell.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
yeah, but RDR2 has some content inside those 29 square miles, you don't need to imagine horse ranches and cabins

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Degenerate BS? Dafaq?

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I'm only here for the financial mismanagement and the hope that one day Chris Roberts will be revealed to the world as a giant idiot.

Honestly the idea of star citizen is childish and poo poo. It's just "what if x wing but I get to get out of my x wing and roleplay as Han solo". That's cool if you're fourteen and if so then you shouldn't be spending money on this anyway, if you are a grown person and star citizen as an idea appeals to you just lol go ahead and pledge to Chris Roberts please

Rabelais D fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 4, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

More Dreams(tm). I thoroughly enjoy it when shitizens dreams spill over to their personal "name any real space sim" game hate boner and how SC will be gloriously victorious in the end. The salt is real.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 4, 2019

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
What's interesting is Amazon GameTech or the official Lumberyard social media channels dont even talk about Star Citizen or Citizencon in the past 2 months.

You'd think a game with a 250 million dollar budget using their engine would get at least a mention.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay, credit where credit's due: the aerial version of the blizzard tech looks pretty good. Still some technical challenges and it's not really game mechanics, but I'd be suitably impressed if I flew into this in my spaceship. This is the kind of atmospheric effect that makes planets feel a bit more alive.

i actually think the same. I also think it looks way better than the overblown effects in the citcon demo.
Its not the best blizzard overall, but this is a space game not a lost planet 4

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

That looks all right. Too bad there's no real gameplay in there.
Some junior devs over at CIG could have put that in regular CryEngine/Lumberyard as a regular map and made a game about rescuing people lost in mountain blizzards.

Mirificus posted:

r/ChroniclesOfElyria

Because we know you make amusingly stupid posts on Reddit, Vertisce? I can only assume someone set the Mirificus bot to alert them when you make posts about this forum or Star Citizen so we can laugh about it in this thread that you're obviously reading and posting on Reddit about in that very screenshot.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Rabelais D posted:

I'm only here for the financial mismanagement and the hope that one day Chris Roberts will be revealed to the world as a giant idiot.

Honestly the idea of star citizen is childish and poo poo. It's just "what if x wing but I get to get out of my x wing and roleplay as Han solo". That's cool if you're fourteen and if so then you shouldn't be spending money on this anyway, if you are a grown person and star citizen as an idea appeals to you just lol go ahead and pledge to Chris Roberts please

People have been after the Jesus Space Game for a long time. The one to rule them all, where the scale ranges from capital ships down to running with rifles, where capital ships duel overhead while teams of infantry fight to seize the shield generator. There's a lot of games that take stabs at it but most of them are reigned it by practical, technical, and budgetary limitations. In development right now in that vein are Executive Assault 2, Empyrion, and possibly Elite Dangerous that I know of; and some games take a similar approach but decide to scupper the FPS part, like the X-series.

And historically there's a lot of games that have taken similar stabs at it, like Derek Smartgames, Star Wars Galaxies, and a few other incarnations.

I just started playing around in Angels Fall First again which is yet another stab at integrated FPS/space combat in the same game and works pretty decently.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Hav posted:

It feeds into the more ‘spiritual’ side of Agile, which is about avoiding blocks, and has a relationship to Kaizan , not Kazan.

I think I loled at that more than I should have.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Bofast posted:

But if you read the Reddit thread again the topic was the original poster saying he had bad performance and the responders saying he should change his graphics settings from Low to High as though that would somehow improve things. Introducing more of a GPU bottleneck when the framerate is already bad isn't going to help performance. Sure, it might stress the CPU less if the GPU becomes a bigger bottleneck instead, but that will just tank framerate even more. :psyduck:

The best backers for the best developers.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Meanwhile 3 years ago

https://www.cryengine.com/news/view/community-spotlight-dynamic-weather-system

6 yars ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lpQvq2NJc

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 4, 2019

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

echothreealpha posted:

What's interesting is Amazon GameTech or the official Lumberyard social media channels dont even talk about Star Citizen or Citizencon in the past 2 months.

You'd think a game with a 250 million dollar budget using their engine would get at least a mention.

That's because SC runs on an old fork of cryengine that the lumberyard license technically gives them the right to use, nothing SC does has any value for lumberyard as a game engine because it's not compatible with the engine they are making.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

echothreealpha posted:

Not so!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hav posted:

(...)
Sidebar: current programmer business psychology is much like cognitive behavioral therapy in terms of reducing stress on yourself by clearly defining goals, methods and being open to failing. It feeds into the more ‘spiritual’ side of Agile, which is about avoiding blocks, and has a relationship to Kaizan , not Kazan.
(...)

Kaizen, not Kaizan: https://blog.gembaacademy.com/2008/12/23/lets_do_kaizen_not_kaizan/

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Is that some fake xi'an?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bofast posted:

It is a strange attitude to be sure when talking about ED. It's not like the game has really changed much from when it launched so if it has been ok for 500 hours they probably got their money's worth.

There are, obviously, legitimate issues that can happen after 100+ hours in something. I was looking at buying Steep (alpine sports game by Ubisoft) and some of the negative reviews with 100+ hours played mentioned one or more patches that not only changed the physics to make the gameplay go from great to bad but also made it so the game suddenly would not launch on a bunch of older CPUs. Stellaris had the massive changes around 2.0 that made the game very different from what it had been before and upset a lot of people to make them no longer recommend the game. Those reasons seem like fair grounds to complain, but ED now isn't really a different experience from ED around launch as far as I can tell.

If anything, people agree that ED improved over time - there's better credit balance now (allowing you to reach end game ships within days, if you want to), the mining and exploration mechanics have improved drastically, PvP has issues, but it's still solid and didn't need big changes/fixes for some time now. There are still things that could be improved further without content creation spurt (PowerPlay, exclusive modules, etc), but that's always there in any MMO, there's always stuff to improve.

I believe the ED discontent people come from several points:
- discontent with the pace of development, expecting unrealistic speed of development (and SC will disappoint them as well)
- discontent with the bugs (not an issue with me, but heard some people come across more serious ones, and boy, will SC disappoint them)
- discontent with the scale

The last point is a bit iffy - it's in general people who don't follow the development and then complain that FDev doesn't tell them future plans; or people that for some reason believe that Elite has been put into background over other titles, not knowing how much of a preferred child Elite is to David Braben.

tl;dr: "This game has so much potential, but FDev isn't improving (fast enough) what I personally see as the potential (while leaving other thousands of players discontent with lack of progress on their "potential" ideas)"

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

If anything, people agree that ED improved over time - there's better credit balance now (allowing you to reach end game ships within days, if you want to), the mining and exploration mechanics have improved drastically, PvP has issues, but it's still solid and didn't need big changes/fixes for some time now. There are still things that could be improved further without content creation spurt (PowerPlay, exclusive modules, etc), but that's always there in any MMO, there's always stuff to improve.

I believe the ED discontent people come from several points:
- discontent with the pace of development, expecting unrealistic speed of development (and SC will disappoint them as well)
- discontent with the bugs (not an issue with me, but heard some people come across more serious ones, and boy, will SC disappoint them)
- discontent with the scale

The last point is a bit iffy - it's in general people who don't follow the development and then complain that FDev doesn't tell them future plans; or people that for some reason believe that Elite has been put into background over other titles, not knowing how much of a preferred child Elite is to David Braben.

tl;dr: "This game has so much potential, but FDev isn't improving (fast enough) what I personally see as the potential (while leaving other thousands of players discontent with lack of progress on their "potential" ideas)"

I would argue otherwise. Ed has gone worse in some aspects.
Engineers is completely broken and makes combat unfun, And it definitely is a power creep, huge grind and on top of all favors ppl that bought horizon.
Exploration,trading,mining have improved but these thing still lack new contend.
BGS has gone worse since botting has become a thing and frontier still have not figured out way to fix it. To be fair this issue seems almost impossible to fix without pissing solo/private group players and it seems to affect only rare minority that this thing is used against.

The game is still worth it if you buy it on sale and it still looks pretty. It just has potential it will never realize and its drat shame and it stems from the fact that the game doeskin know what it wants to be.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dark Off posted:

I would argue otherwise. Ed has gone worse in some aspects.
Engineers is completely broken and makes combat unfun, And it definitely is a power creep, huge grind and on top of all favors ppl that bought horizon.
Exploration,trading,mining have improved but these thing still lack new contend.
BGS has gone worse since botting has become a thing and frontier still have not figured out way to fix it. To be fair this issue seems almost impossible to fix without pissing solo/private group players and it seems to affect only rare minority that this thing is used against.

The game is still worth it if you buy it on sale and it still looks pretty. It just has potential it will never realize and its drat shame and it stems from the fact that the game doeskin know what it wants to be.

Holy poo poo. Discussions about the pros and cons of actual released games should not be allowed in this thread. For that we have the rest of the internet.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dark Off posted:

I beg to differ. Also if you purely PvE, you don't need engineering, like at all. If you PvP, you're gonna grind anyway.

Dark Off posted:

Quoting myself: There are still things that could be improved further without content creation spurt

Content is expensive and takes time, thus you are, quoting myself: discontent with the pace of development, expecting unrealistic speed of development

Dark Off posted:

To be fair this issue seems almost impossible to fix without pissing solo/private group players and it seems to affect only rare minority that this thing is used against.
I agree, in online games, botting is basically impossible to get rid of. You could introduce heavy counter-botting measures, the problem is, at some point these measures will anger regular players. Loss-loss for developers, really.

Dark Off posted:

It just has potential it will never realize and its drat shame and it stems from the fact that the game doeskin know what it wants to be.
Quoting myself: This game has so much potential, but FDev isn't improving (fast enough) what I personally see as the potential (while leaving other thousands of players discontent with lack of progress on their "potential" ideas)

But all in all, thanks for proving me about right.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I believe the major malfunction ED shares with star citizen is the disconnect between high level design and what is/was actually achievable. And, unfortunately, in both the high level design is what was used to sell players and backers.

ED managed to survive on the strength of a cool gimmick (the huge galaxy) and a strong combat/flight model. I struggle to see literally anything Star Citizen offers that it does better than other games, which is pretty ironic for the BDSSE.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I beg to differ. Also if you purely PvE, you don't need engineering, like at all. If you PvP, you're gonna grind anyway.

Quoting myself: There are still things that could be improved further without content creation spurt

Content is expensive and takes time, thus you are, quoting myself: discontent with the pace of development, expecting unrealistic speed of development

like i said minor improvements and setbacks in other aspects with overall direction being backwards.
and to counter combat in pve is also made more unfun. Have you tried taking out npc corvette in imperial eagle? It used to be easy but now it takes over 40 minutes to do because of dumb engineered poo poo they have added, its not harder its boring.
and there used to be no grind to do for PVP. You could fly an imperial eagle and still be annoying to deal with in pvp.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dark Off posted:

like i said minor improvements and setbacks in other aspects with overall direction being backwards.
and to counter combat in pve is also made more unfun. Have you tried taking out npc corvette in imperial eagle? It used to be easy but now it takes over 40 minutes to do because of dumb engineered poo poo they have added, its not harder its boring.
and there used to be no grind to do for PVP. You could fly an imperial eagle and still be annoying to deal with in pvp.

"Have you tried taking out npc corvette in imperial eagle? It used to be easy but now it takes over 40 minutes to do because of dumb engineered poo poo they have added, its not harder its boring."

But why would you do that? As a proof of concept, one time, maybe? Like, you can dig a hole in concrete with a spoon, but it'll take weeks, why not use a drill hammer?
I think it should be tough to defeat Corvette in Eagle. Possible, definitely (and it is possible, because of its agility). But should it take quite some time? Yes, definitely! From both shield and HP point of view.

(For further record, I believe SW IV end scene is a load of bullshit.)

I'll end this part with a question: Why do you think it should be easy to solo kill Corvette (167.8m x 87.2m x 28.3m ship) in an Eagle (31.2m x 29.7m x 7.1m , 60 times smaller vessel with smaller shields and weaponry)? And how easy should it be if it shouldn't take 40 minutes, should it take 30, 20, 10, 5, 2, 1 minute, 30 or 10 seconds?

"and there used to be no grind to do for PVP"

There used to be A-ranking grind (and rebuy grind), because the credits were much harder to get than these days, which is also why PvPers were swarming every "gold rush" back then.

Also a side note, I find it funny that any time there is new stuff of any kind introduced in Elite, somebody will say: "That's a grind, I don't want to do it" while at the same time complaining there's not enough content. Asteroid cracking? "I prefer laser mining, this is not content". Exploring systems? "I prefer honking, this is is too slow". Engineers? "I just want to pew pew and not do anything else in the game, like collect mats". All legit excuses to not play the game in other ways than "how I want to" I've seen written on forums, reddit and SA thread.

Which really come back to Star Citizen (to stay on topic) - how are they even going to please everyone, when it's clear they sold anything to anyone before implementing it? I have no clue.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

TheAgent posted:

I mean, when you promise single player questlines that tie into an mmo that features 10,000 real time player battles, with various trades from medic to merchant to mercenary all being equally important, with hundreds of systems to "organically" explore and the selling of secret trade information to navigate the 'verses secrets, with you being able to build your own colony or fleet to control sectors of space, with the ability to turn the real time combat mmo into a real time strategy game with large scale first person combat battles happening while capital ships bombard planets while smaller ships fight off bombers and landing crews, all the while you are talking to people using an RSI branded camera over FOIP while using the RSI joystick, as you are welcomed aboard your capital ship by a bevy of realistic npcs all with their own backstories and needs and are mixed seamlessly with your real crew of players who can communicate across a 50 person ship without issue or spamming "MY rear end NEEDS CHRIS ROBERTS" because as you know everyone loves to roleplay a stoic crewman standing idly by their station for hours on end doing absolutely nothing but saying "aye cap'n" because god knows the news ship outside might broadcast a negative thing and then your reputation in the 'verse will be severely impacted, meanwhile the vanduul fleets are slowly amassing and maybe the other aliens, the banu and whatever the gently caress the others are, have meaningful languages so OF COURSE they are super important and you will obviously be able to interact with them in meaningful ways, but you have to be careful you don't upset the delicate balance in the 'verse because that will have serious impact for your character, including personalized quests and factions

drat do you have a kickstarter?????

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Does anyone have the heart to tell him that the reason anyone has ever heard of the slippery slope argument is because it's a well-known fallacy. :ohdear:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Good Dumplings posted:

It should say a lot that the only dev that came close to properly implementing this is a lunatic that shakes down vending machines. Whatever walking in space is, it's definitely not 'not that complex'. Frankly, the more attempts I see, the more it seems like a completely separate genre, something you need to plan from the very start.

Infinite Warfare did a pretty good job of it.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I know that this is a thread for hatin' and there's plenty of mismanagement to point out, but I was impressed and I'm starting to think a good game could emerge from this one day.

MOM get the credit card

The thing with Star Citizen is just as some think CI has some semblance of what they want to achieve over the next 12-24 months in terms of gameplay/planets/ships, they scrap 98% of it during the year and completely change the direction of where they were heading. This years con was a great example, instead of just sticking to more of what was revealed last year, they just showed a battlefield knockoff because rexzilla roleplaying was what was bringing them any viewers of the game on twitch.

The end of the day is, how the can you trust that what was shown at the con will make it into the game as it was shown at the con?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

zebedy posted:

drat do you have a kickstarter?????

Yeah I'd love to pledge.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some SC "fan" pointed out on sc_refunds how SC has more twitch views than Elite. Which brought me to this lovely graph:

Now... is that Calders money at work, starting roughly after the last year's CitCon? The jump is really noticeable (E:D is basically the same throughout with spikes at updates, SC is the same until ~December 2018), while there's basically nothing in the updates that would justify it (if anything, I'd expect it a year earlier with 3.0, but that one dissipated fast). Or am I missing something?

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
It could also be the promise that this would be close to the end, so interest picked up.

To be fair, performance for SC has improved, both due to CIG and since computers now have better specs to run it.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mirificus posted:

r/ChroniclesOfElyria

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Wonder if some think Derek Smart's ban was faked and he goes here with a different name

and he could be anyone of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

echothreealpha posted:

Wonder if some think Derek Smart's ban was faked and he goes here with a different name

and he could be anyone of us.