Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
That was handy and timely info for me. So if my mobo is UEFI capable but is currently in legacy BIOS mode, and my HDD is in MBR rather than GPT, what is the right order to change those things over?

1/ HDD to GPT
2/ Legacy BIOS to UEFI

Right?

EDIT: Doh! Just fully read through the guide from the previous page, and yes, what I posted above is correct.

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

crestfallen posted:

That was handy and timely info for me. So if my mobo is UEFI capable but is currently in legacy BIOS mode, and my HDD is in MBR rather than GPT, what is the right order to change those things over?

1/ HDD to GPT
2/ Legacy BIOS to UEFI

Right?

Correct!

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you want to convert the drive in place, you obviously have to boot in legacy BIOS mode to get into windows to convert the drive to GPT, because if you could boot an MBT drive in UEFI mode there would be no need to convert it in the first place. Once you've converted it to GPT you will only be able to boot in UEFI mode so you must change the boot settings as necessary at that point.

Theoretically if you had some problem preventing you from booting via UEFI after you convert the drive it would be extremely inconvenient to fix, but you probably don't need to worry about this on a modern desktop. That said I wouldn't recommend trying converting the drive to GPT in place on very old hardware that might have issues booting via UEFI.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 27, 2019

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Makes perfect sense. The guide lays out all of that, my mind just didn’t process it correctly initially. I appreciate the response!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mystes posted:

Once you've converted it to GPT you will only be able to boot in UEFI mode so you must change the boot settings as necessary at that point.

Not exactly -- on many mobos the "legacy BIOS" setting boots from both old and UEFI storage. The reason to switch to UEFI-only is slightly faster boot (it can skip the legacy step), and maybe a nicer boot menu / ordering system depending on your bios.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
UEFI mode also allows for additional security measures like Secure Boot to be active (though you have to activate that separately on most boards)

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
What is the most minimal way to automate moving a mouse or sending some keys to a Remote Desktop session to keep the thing alive?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Probably leave a video on

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Install WoW

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

hambeet posted:

Install WoW

That's actually the option I do but I self owned enough irl today

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Can't put anything on the other side of the session. Just the local PC.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FunOne posted:

Can't put anything on the other side of the session. Just the local PC.
If you want to send keystrokes to the remote session in the normal windows RDP application you have to use something that uses SendInput. AutoHotKey might be able to do it, but I'm not sure.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 28, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Can't you just put a mouse upside down underneath a pendulum

Attach it to an oscillating desk fan even

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I was working on understanding and setting up Cobian Backup to sync two drives: local hard drive and portable. But I need it to be bidirectional in syncing and I'm not getting the feeling that Cobian does that. So if I delete something on the portable when working, I'll need it deleted from the hard drive when I plug it back and it does the syncing process.

Am I missing something or is there a better software package to sync two folders that may get files added/modified/deleted separately and need to square up when reconnected? Win10 and currently the portable drive is exFat for compatibility reasons, if that matters.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ape Agitator posted:

I was working on understanding and setting up Cobian Backup to sync two drives: local hard drive and portable. But I need it to be bidirectional in syncing and I'm not getting the feeling that Cobian does that. So if I delete something on the portable when working, I'll need it deleted from the hard drive when I plug it back and it does the syncing process.

Am I missing something or is there a better software package to sync two folders that may get files added/modified/deleted separately and need to square up when reconnected? Win10 and currently the portable drive is exFat for compatibility reasons, if that matters.

Cobian is mainly just for backups. It puts a copy of your files onto a backup drive/network share/ftp/whatever. It just gives ways to do a "copy these files from here to here on this schedule" setup. You're looking for something more like rsync. The only caveat with software like that is that if you modify something on both sides before it's synced up it may wallop the second from most recent changed file when it's overwritten with the most recently changed one.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Ape Agitator posted:

I've used FreeFileSync, it's probably fine. Maybe SyncToy?

I find it really funny that this was a builtin feature of windows from 95 through 8. But Microsoft decided to let it rot for 20 years and then rip it out.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Dylan16807 posted:

I've used FreeFileSync, it's probably fine. Maybe SyncToy?

I find it really funny that this was a builtin feature of windows from 95 through 8. But Microsoft decided to let it rot for 20 years and then rip it out.

Rexxed posted:

You're looking for something more like rsync. The only caveat with software like that is that if you modify something on both sides before it's synced up it may wallop the second from most recent changed file when it's overwritten with the most recently changed one.

Thanks to you both! I'll try rsync and FreeFileSync. I tried SyncToy before I tried Cobian and found it to be really, really poor. I'm moderately confident that I won't have simultaneous modifications on files from both drives but perhaps one of the programs has a flagging feature for those kinds of things. And probably something I can handle with version numbers in the filenames if it becomes an issue.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

FunOne posted:

What is the most minimal way to automate moving a mouse or sending some keys to a Remote Desktop session to keep the thing alive?

Write a short loop with auto-hotkey

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Install one of those virus ridden mouse jiggler programs from the early 00's that people would use to get money from ad companies.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

this worked for me a couple years back: https://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/caffeine/index.html

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

FunOne posted:

If you have the necessary rights on the client machine, go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server and set KeepAliveEnable to 1 (it's a DWORD, if you have to create the entry).

If the issue is either of the computers going to sleep, rather that the RDP session actually idling out, paste this into PowerShell (or a PowerShell script) and run it on the computer you need to keep awake:
code:
Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms
while ($true) {
    [System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait('{SCROLLLOCK}')
    start-sleep -Seconds 15
}
Doesn't have to be scroll lock, but that seemed like a minimally disruptive key to send, especially since the lock keys don't seem to actually toggle when sent this way. I set the loop at 15 seconds for testing purposes, but it just needs to be less time than it takes the computer to go to sleep.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

If you have the necessary rights on the client machine, go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server and set KeepAliveEnable to 1 (it's a DWORD, if you have to create the entry).

If the issue is either of the computers going to sleep, rather that the RDP session actually idling out, paste this into PowerShell (or a PowerShell script) and run it on the computer you need to keep awake:
code:
Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms
while ($true) {
    [System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait('{SCROLLLOCK}')
    start-sleep -Seconds 15
}
Doesn't have to be scroll lock, but that seemed like a minimally disruptive key to send, especially since the lock keys don't seem to actually toggle when sent this way. I set the loop at 15 seconds for testing purposes, but it just needs to be less time than it takes the computer to go to sleep.
If it's just the remote computer going to sleep you can just use windows media player to keep it awake, too.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 28, 2019

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

This is still legit, I use it all the time.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I ended up finding & modifying a little Powershell script to wiggle the mouse.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm very frustrated and need help. This really should be a simple task, but I've hit a roadblock. All I want to do is make a simple line graph in excel. This is the dataset:

I want to turn it into a line graph that looks something like this:

Every internet tutorial I can find on this subject says to just select the data, go to Insert, and click the type of graph you want. When I do that, I get this.

Clearly the program cannot tell what is supposed to be the X-axis and what is supposed to be the Y-axis. The problem is that I have no idea how to tell it what values each axis is supposed to have and which columns are supposed to be lines. I've attempted to format my sheet the same way as people do in tutorials, but it's not working. No google search turns up a solution to my problem. How can I make this happen?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
What chart type are you using? I just tried it in Excel 2013 and got the result you wanted.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Line, the first type in the Insert Line or Area Chart section. I’m using Excel 2016, if it makes a difference.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
From my limited googling I don't think the Insert Tab changed that much. When I highlight all the (data and header) cells and click on 'Recommended Charts', it's always the 3rd option for me. If I try to use the line graph button and its limited set of presented options, it produces charts like the one you posted.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

From your graph, it seems like its including the whole array as multiple sets of data. That's why it's graphing that way.

Look at the colouring in the table in dodomans post, heading 'P' is not selected so it's not trying to graph it. It's using it as the X axis compared to yours, where it's just counting the lines of data as your X.

Why? Idk. Your excel or maybe that particular workbook has some weird presets?

You should be able to edit the graph by right clicking on it, and manually define the x & y data, as well as the data sets themselves.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 2, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dodoman posted:

From my limited googling I don't think the Insert Tab changed that much. When I highlight all the (data and header) cells and click on 'Recommended Charts', it's always the 3rd option for me. If I try to use the line graph button and its limited set of presented options, it produces charts like the one you posted.

You're right. Recommended Charts does produce different outputs for some reason. I was able to get the chart you got, which is close to what I want. From there all I had to do was change the data around a bit so that instead of a list of P values and the corresponding rGDP values of AD and AS, I now have a list of rGDP values and the corresponding P values of AD and AS.

Now I just need to tinker with the format a little and it will be ready for primetime. Thanks for your help!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
No worries!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

quote:

Owner Supplied Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

this woke my computer today, is there a thing thatll give me a timestamp on it? also i was checking update settings and didnt see an option to "not turn on computer ive loving manually put to sleep"

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Looks like the default is 3AM. If you have Enterprise or Education you can change this through group policy with the "Configure Automatic Updates" option but if not I wouldn't bother trying to fight it. By default the OS will wake the computer up to check and install updates overnight so it doesn't impact you during the day.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

CFox posted:

Looks like the default is 3AM. If you have Enterprise or Education you can change this through group policy with the "Configure Automatic Updates" option but if not I wouldn't bother trying to fight it. By default the OS will wake the computer up to check and install updates overnight so it doesn't impact you during the day.

If you have a computer in the bedroom this is toxic behavior.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
<-- Linux thread is that way.

Seriously though it's the solution that works the best for the most people. There would be a bigger outrage if the OS was doing the update and trying to restart when you're actually using the thing. You could always just shut down the computer at night or turn off your RGB or whatever it is that's waking you up.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

this has nothing to do with bedrooms or anything and everything to do with the computer being left on instead of asleep, i dont particularly want to walk past the office and see it looking like christmas because windows did an update and decided not to shut the door behind itself

i dont think windows should be allowed to take my computer that is effectively "not running" and then leave it on. i guess ill just shut the thing down from now on and call it a loving day

also it just costs money for no reason, and frankly i dont care if its pennies.

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 4, 2019

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

this woke my computer today, is there a thing thatll give me a timestamp on it? also i was checking update settings and didnt see an option to "not turn on computer ive loving manually put to sleep"

Is it something you could find in Task Schedule and edit? I don't have that exact task on my Win10 system, but going in as admin and unchecking "Wake the computer to run this task" doesn't seem like it should be too destructive.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Is it something you could find in Task Schedule and edit? I don't have that exact task on my Win10 system, but going in as admin and unchecking "Wake the computer to run this task" doesn't seem like it should be too destructive.

idk im just going to change how i shut the computer off because im not going to even bother with this

thank you for the assistance yall. unless i can write a script that would sleep the PC after an update?? i would be ok with that if thats even possible lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Statutory Ape posted:

1. powercfg / sleepstudy will make a html doc with info about sleep & wake events. (Needs admin cmd prompt to run, saves the html wherever you run it from.)

2. I think 1909 made it so that this setting:

is now effective at stopping the updates task from waking the system. (Previously update orchestrator got to override that and the only way to stop wakes in the middle of the night was forcefully overwriting the task.)

Statutory Ape posted:

thank you for the assistance yall. unless i can write a script that would sleep the PC after an update?? i would be ok with that if thats even possible lol

The update task is *supposed* to put the PC back to sleep when it's done. On my laptop the sleepstudy shows this working fine, it's awake for like 2 minutes and then goes back to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Klyith posted:

The update task is *supposed* to put the PC back to sleep when it's done. On my laptop the sleepstudy shows this working fine, it's awake for like 2 minutes and then goes back to sleep.

on Pro and above there are GPO options to tell it to be much more aggressive on going to sleep if its sitting at a login prompt with no active user, which is the state your system will be in after it reboots for updates