Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Rode to the check ride in a 50-100km'h tail/crosswind, sweating like a pig in 40 degree heat and trying not to choke on the raised dust blowing across the road.

Rode the check ride, mostly in town. Weather changed and a little tiny bit of rain started but nothing major. "If that was your license test, you would have passed, book your test in".

Rode home in a 40-60km/h tail/crosswind with intermittent misty rain and yet loving dust loving somehow still in the loving air, meaning I had to keep pulling over and cleaning my visor.

Not much fun but yeah, guess I'll book my test in, unfortunately nothing available near here until January.

Congrats!

Always envious of folks who can do fun things while I’m snowed under :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Martytoof posted:

Congrats!

Always envious of folks who can do fun things while I’m snowed under :q:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux-_Gb2TJc8

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I just listed the husqvarna 401 for sale after putting only 200 miles on it, lol.

I had been riding it to work for practice (it had been about 3 years since I last owned a proper motorcycle, i'm mostly a scoot rider) and was getting better but one day I was feeling rather lazy/tired in the morning and rode my scooter instead, and on that ride I immediately realized I made a huge mistake buying the 401. The scoot is WAY more fun, less effort, more comfortable and more practical in every way for my use case. Maybe that wouldn't be the case if I lived somewhere more rural and all my rides weren't stop-and-go city streets.

Sadly it'll be gone before its first service so I'll never get to experience the KTM maintenance horror that Slavvy has warned about.

Also jesus christ that bike is uncomfortable.

Also just a general reminder that scooters are loving awesome. I'd buy a maxi scoot like the yamaha xmax or something to complement the vespa 150 for longer trips if they weren't all so hideous. gently caress I might anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A Vespa 150 owner criticizing Japanese scooters for being fugly is a new variation on the glass houses theme.

You're right though, if you never ride for fun in the countryside there is no advantage to a small bike over a big scooter.

E: for derp

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 22, 2019

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Vespa's are literally the only modern scooters that don't look like absolute dogshit. You really think vespa's are not attractive? And you really think Japanese ones look better? This is the strangest and wrongest opinion I've ever heard.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It's almost like esthetics and taste are subjective.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Subjectively wrong. :colbert:

There are plenty of rad older Honda scoots though. Current models are all pretty bleh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The best looking scooters, in order

1) Honda Elite
2) Honda Helix
xx) everything else

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Honda aero 50 and early Dio's are up there as well.

Oh and the Motocompo :getin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CheddarGoblin posted:

Vespa's are literally the only modern scooters that don't look like absolute dogshit. You really think vespa's are not attractive? And you really think Japanese ones look better? This is the strangest and wrongest opinion I've ever heard.

Them all being hot garbage doesn't help my opinion I will admit but yeah, I like the swoopy insectoid look a gently caress of a lot better than the boomer-cosplay vespa styling.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

1) Honda Elite

I didn't even know I wanted a scooter but now I want one of these ugly fuckers to paint up in CGA cyan/magenta/white and ride into the bright future of 1985.

Please tell me it makes a buzzing sound like an ''80s PC speaker.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I saw a Helix done up like a cop car the other day (no badges, just black and white like CHP) and it looked sooo good.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had a black 88 Honda spree with purple brushy font. I want to see a 90s white teal and purple solo cup styling, or something purple with orange, pink and yellow.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

No one likes the PX150? :confused:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I ever rode a scooter it would have to either be vapor wave 80’s Transformer looking or some kind of naked junker out of mad max. A black and white Honda Elite done up like an old AE86 would look awesome.

Also I went on an awesome ride today to scout out cool motocamping spots and not only got some really good GoPro videos of me waving at dogs but some cool pics of the bike at some trailheads. Sport bike cargo net for life.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Why would anyone not ride for fun

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rode to an appointment and back today in the pouring rain. I was apprehensive at first but just gave myself more stopping distance and rode a bit slower and it went absolutely fine. I think I'm becoming more confident out and about.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I did a total of maybe two rides in the rain, and both times the biggest problem I had was visor visibility. I felt the droplets didn't self clear at all and it was really distracting. It was all city speed riding so I didn't really get up to any speed where I feel it would naturally slosh off, but maybe it's a problem with my particular visor.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I did a total of maybe two rides in the rain, and both times the biggest problem I had was visor visibility. I felt the droplets didn't self clear at all and it was really distracting. It was all city speed riding so I didn't really get up to any speed where I feel it would naturally slosh off, but maybe it's a problem with my particular visor.

I kept my visor open. A few drops of rain on my glasses, but I was fine.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

riding in the rain rules. I use some spray on rain x poo poo and it lets the heavy rain blow off. got some waterproof alpinestars gloves with a wiper on the index finger that is super handy too

having the right gear makes all the difference. best investment I ever made was buying mosko's new WP gear. that and the alpinestars toucan boots & gloves make rain riding fun

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

right arm posted:

mosko's new WP gear. that and the alpinestars toucan boots & gloves make rain riding fun

Did you buy the full Mosko set? How do you like it?

Love their stuff. They’re blog is really cool. Ran an R40 on my BDR trip and it was the bees knees. Debating on their bags for my new AT or some other soft luggage.

For clothes I ran some soft armor/jersey, with armored klim gore tex pants and a matching jacket, but with the armor taken out- used it for highway and cold/rain.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Did you buy the full Mosko set? How do you like it?

Love their stuff. They’re blog is really cool. Ran an R40 on my BDR trip and it was the bees knees. Debating on their bags for my new AT or some other soft luggage.

For clothes I ran some soft armor/jersey, with armored klim gore tex pants and a matching jacket, but with the armor taken out- used it for highway and cold/rain.

I own their rain set as I was looking to replace an ancient, canadian made, arc'teryx shell that was starting to not be as great as it once was.

the deluge jacket is insanely good and imho a better buy than a similar arc'teryx shell. I love that they make their stuff for layering (no insulation / armor) as that means I can use their jacket as a regular rain jacket off the bike AND a WP shell for riding. the jacket is just so well thought out. hood zips off so you can ride in it without it flapping around, cuffs for the hands extend on the backside of the hand so that they will always cover the seam between your cloves and the jacket itself, cinches are all self contained so there's nothing flapping around. it's just an excellent WP jacket that has built in features for riding (reflective logos, hood, etc) that make it well worth the money

pants are great too. nothing as amazing as the jacket, but they're just fantastic waterproof pants.

I'm looking forward to their new set of pants and colorways for their basilik stuff, but I'll likely buy that stuff when it comes out too cause I have fully converted to wearing armor separate from gear as it is just so much more comfortable

anyways, their deluge gear is incredibly good and cheap when you look at the comparable arc'teryx poo poo. I used it a bit on my ride down from portland to nashville and have used it several times in half hour commutes here. got caught in an insane hail/rainstorm up in WA near the grand coulee dam coming back from banff that the gear survived too. I was using it as an extra WP layer over my alpinestars valparasio gear then which made it quite bulky, so I'd say if you're going to layer like that, order a size up

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Grip puppies are great. Put them on last night, today I rode 250km without a break and only felt a little bit numb in my hand right towards the end. Didn't have to stop until my destination and could easily have kept going. gently caress yeah!

Also it was a great day for a ride. Sunny but not too hot, almost no highway traffic, and just real good to be riding.

E: I have 2 strips sunburnt onto the backs of my hands because my new gloves don't sit as far back under my sleeves as my old ones. FFS.

E2: or maybe my jacket slid up a bit because I loosened the wrists to get some air in. I dunno. Sucks though.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 24, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ordered a pair for the new riding season. I can’t say the vibration was too bad with oem grips but I’m all about comfort :3

Finally got around to buying the back piece for my dainese jackets. I’m ashamed to admit I’d forgotten all this year. I was still on the fence about my sz48 fitment but for whatever reason when I put it on today it felt a lot less restrictive, even with the new back piece installed. I was going to try to flip the unused jacket on Kijiji or the sale thread here and pick up a sz50 but now I’m kind of thinking I’ll hold off and just give it a ride in the spring.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 24, 2019

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Had the whole day off from everything so I rode off to see a bunch of stuff around the region that I haven't gone to see yet. Went about 350km over 5 hours.

I'm up to around 40 hours and about 2000km on the bike, feeling much more confident and relaxed. After a couple hours I get a bit cramped though and start wanting to shuffle my rear end around (which I can do) and stretch my legs out (which I can't).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It was a really nice sunny (but cold, at -3C, apparent temperature at around -6C) day today in Stirling.

I was going to do a proper ride from Stirling to Perth, but the Waitrose delivery for later in the afternoon sent me an email this morning saying that the vegan Advent Calendar the missus wanted (the whole reason for doing the online shop) was out of stock.

So instead of riding a fun twisty ride on backroads, I had to go into town to the health food shop to buy a vegan advent calendar (and other assorted vegan things as stocking stuffers).

On the plus side, I realised what a fantastic idea the hot grips were and that I made the right choice of doing both heated gloves and hot grips. Otherwise the inside of my hands would have been frozen but they were nice and toasty. I also had a balaclava on which worked wonders.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Just back from riding 450km over 6 hours, Australia doing it's loving weather thing so it pissed freezing rain on me in the morning and then I baked like hell in the last hour (4c/rain/overcast > 35c/cloudless in 2 hours) . I'm gonna have to get at least a rain over-jacket and some waterproof gloves. Would it be stupid to just keep a pair of oversized rubber gloves that I can fit over my riding gloves on the bike and pull them on when it rains?

Also, what can I do to improve my long-distance comfort, generally. I'm hoping to work up to semi-regular 700-800km-in-a-day highway trips but there's no loving way I can do that with the bike as it is, my hips would explode and my rear end fall off. Cushion-y gel seat cover? What would moving the pegs (and controls) a little further forward entail?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The money solution is gear with Gore-tex Pro shell or other similar membrane that's bonded to the outer shell, not a zip-in liner that lets the outer shell soak up water. Saves the hassle of having to get on another layer of clothing + you always have your rain gear avaliable.
If you get a variant with has enough vents, like most klim gear, a weather change is just zipping up/ down vent zippers. Maybe stop and remove a base layer when it gets too warm.

For foot pegs you usually have some adjustment of the controls built into the bike, and changing the foot rest/peg itself is all that's needed. Unless you do an extreme position change.
The easiest kits are stuff similar to these, that you can adjust pretty far in most directions.

There is also kits that just lower everything, even the controls. Google around for your specific bike.

I'd first just try lowering the peg a little, It's really strange how much change there is even with just like a 20mm downward adjustment of the pegs. A little more relaxed knee/hip angle might be all you need.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 4, 2019

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Don't forget your underlayers too, investing in good quality bases will make temperature regulation much easier

I have some amazing Merino leggings/long sleeve shirts that I wear all year round. I use them for high output ski touring and mountaineering as well as year round motorcycling just by changing the outer layer. Sitting in the snow at -30c, hiking uphill with gear in the sun and enduro all in nearly the same clothes

Get a long Merino scarf tube and wear it every day of the year (it'll also reduce wind noise)

Handlebar mitts make a gigantic difference

Sheepskin or beaded seat covers are really good

And if you're still uncomfortable you probably need a bike that better suits your goon body cycle-ergo.com

The No1 cause of bedsores in hospital is poor nutrition and circulation. Stay well hydrated and eat enough on long trips. Get a camelbak so you can drink on the ride, and take a twisty route so you move around on the seat. Motorway miles are much worse than country roads

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just back from riding 450km over 6 hours, Australia doing it's loving weather thing so it pissed freezing rain on me in the morning and then I baked like hell in the last hour (4c/rain/overcast > 35c/cloudless in 2 hours) . I'm gonna have to get at least a rain over-jacket and some waterproof gloves. Would it be stupid to just keep a pair of oversized rubber gloves that I can fit over my riding gloves on the bike and pull them on when it rains?

Also, what can I do to improve my long-distance comfort, generally. I'm hoping to work up to semi-regular 700-800km-in-a-day highway trips but there's no loving way I can do that with the bike as it is, my hips would explode and my rear end fall off. Cushion-y gel seat cover? What would moving the pegs (and controls) a little further forward entail?

Don't forget to get off the bike periodically. I started enjoying my riding again when I added goals to my rides (geocaching, take a picture of these couple landmarks, eat a pastry here and get a cup of coffee there, etc). I think it's why old riders post so drat many pictures of their bike in front of things, they get off more often because they get sore quicker. The goon Gorson used to do motonaps, where he'd ride to a nice place and take a nap.

Something like these are good for carrying around in case of rain. Pricey, but you can probably find cheaper. They're just a light waterproof ripstop cover, so they crush way down. Also good for cutting wind. I also always carry a couple pair of nitrile gloves for a handful of uses, one of them being getting caught in a surprise storm without the aforementioned covers. They'll fit under the gloves, keeping skin dry and a little warmer, but not near as good as something over the gloves to keep them from getting soaked. Also, since I live somewhere with real winter, I carry a second pair of insulated waterproof leather gloves in all but the hottest months.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

For foot pegs you usually have some adjustment of the controls built into the bike, and changing the foot rest/peg itself is all that's needed. Unless you do an extreme position change.
The easiest kits are stuff similar to these, that you can adjust pretty far in most directions.

There is also kits that just lower everything, even the controls. Google around for your specific bike.

I'd first just try lowering the peg a little, It's really strange how much change there is even with just like a 20mm downward adjustment of the pegs. A little more relaxed knee/hip angle might be all you need.

Yeah the problem is he's running an intruder 250 so these aren't possible I don't think. I suspect the main issue is that it's a tall person riding particularly long distances on a relatively small bike. This might be one of the times where just getting a bigger bike is the solution.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks for the gear advice, I'll work my way through all of it and figure out prices and benefit. I'm getting off the bike every hour or two for 5-10 minutes, not trying to go for 6 straight hours. After the necessary first ~hour of straight roads I'm taking smaller, curvier roads where possible.

I've googled a bunch of different terms for peg kits and yeah, it's apparently not happening with this model. I'm gonna look at a thick padded seat cover to get some extra room. Not gonna change bikes until I get my license. I could definitely use about 10% more power for overtakes and hills but I'm pretty happy with this one if I ride under 2-3 hours and I'd 100% definitely gently caress up and die on something much quicker.

E: cycle-ergo is weird? I can't possibly achieve the foot position it shows without having my feet constantly under the brake and shifter levers. It also shows my knees would be less bent on a 250 virago than on a vstar 650 and yeah, that's not right.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 4, 2019

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Are you covering the brake and shift levers while riding? Proper form is to move your feet back so you're riding on the balls of your feet, and move them forward to brake or shift.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

pun pundit posted:

Are you covering the brake and shift levers while riding? Proper form is to move your feet back so you're riding on the balls of your feet, and move them forward to brake or shift.

huh? That's not what I was taught.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

pun pundit posted:

Just have long skinny clown feet like me so you can’t have bad form without looking like an idiot with his feet pointed out at 45 degrees.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

pun pundit posted:

If you're riding on a track, sure. Otherwise it's pure wank.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

pun pundit posted:

Nah, I'm on the balls of my feet.

Because see the foot there? It's sticking through the brake lever. Either I'm on the balls of my feet with my knees much more bent so my toes are further back, my toes are under the lever, or my foot is cranked up at an extremely uncomfortable angle. So I'm choosing the balls of my feet as the only non-insane option. Similar but less so with the shifter on the other side. So my knees are more bent than the model shows.

Rolo posted:

Just have long skinny clown feet like me so you can’t have bad form without looking like an idiot with his feet pointed out at 45 degrees.

Long fat feet here, but I think this is it. I'm on the balls of my size 13s or they're sticking out or up at a weird angle.

e: I think this is why the intruder (and virago) 250 pics show the knees less bent than mine could ever be, while the vstar 650 one shows the knees at the angle mine actually sit at - if you plug the same details into the site you'll see the model's feet going through the virago's controls too, but sitting entirely on the 650's floorboard.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 5, 2019

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

I'm gonna have to get at least a rain over-jacket and some waterproof gloves. Would it be stupid to just keep a pair of oversized rubber gloves that I can fit over my riding gloves on the bike and pull them on when it rains?
That's a good touring trick, yeah. I wear XL gloves and XL rubber dish gloves from Home Depot don't easily fit over them, but aerostitch sells 2XL dish gloves for $4 that I've been meaning to order.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Nah, I'm on the balls of my feet.

Because see the foot there? It's sticking through the brake lever. Either I'm on the balls of my feet with my knees much more bent so my toes are further back, my toes are under the lever, or my foot is cranked up at an extremely uncomfortable angle. So I'm choosing the balls of my feet as the only non-insane option. Similar but less so with the shifter on the other side. So my knees are more bent than the model shows.

Long fat feet here, but I think this is it. I'm on the balls of my size 13s or they're sticking out or up at a weird angle.

e: I think this is why the intruder (and virago) 250 pics show the knees less bent than mine could ever be, while the vstar 650 one shows the knees at the angle mine actually sit at - if you plug the same details into the site you'll see the model's feet going through the virago's controls too, but sitting entirely on the 650's floorboard.

Cycle ergo is a pretty basic site, they don't really seem to account for the thickness of the bike, so it's really more of a very rough guideline.

Also wrt sore rear end on long rides: make sure your pants and underlayers both fit correctly + experiment a little. It sounds dumb, but some pants always crease in weird ways when you get into riding position, and if you sit on the crease it'll feel hella bad, whereas others seem to have fabric that drapes better or something, so they're way more comfortable.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Gonna change the oil on my bike.

Where do I get a spare oil drain bolt and sealing washer in case the existing ones are no good once they are taken off the bike to drain the oil?