Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jonny Nox posted:

Therac-25 and radiation therapy machines are a completely different beast to CT.

Radiation therapy is designed for therapeutic doses, ie enough to change how your body works. I don't work on them but my understanding is that the radiation source is generally fissible material like iodine isotopes, I assume because you want that sweet particle radiation. Therac-25, and that Brazilian town I can't remember how to spell were both this kind of machine. They can delivered dangerous doses because they were designed to.

CT is a glorified X-ray machine. It's source is an x-ray tube which works much like an incandescent lightbulb, except you can control the wavelength and density of the photons it emits. The radiation it emits is electromagnetic radiation which is like visible light, but on a much higher wavelength.

Therac-25 was in a sense also a glorified x-ray machine. Its source was a cathode, just like in an x-ray tube, which emits electrons when current was applied. In one mode, instead of being accelerated to smack into the end of a tube to produce x-rays, they were accelerated to impact the patient's tumor directly. In another mode, a metal target was placed in the path of the electron beam and the electrons would then scatter x-rays off the metal. The way it was supposed to work was that the electron-beam mode was low-current, and the x-ray mode was high current, but the race condition meant that you could enter the high current mode without the target being in place, so you wind up a massive dose of electrons without the shielding target in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Therac-25 was in a sense also a glorified x-ray machine. Its source was a cathode, just like in an x-ray tube, which emits electrons when current was applied. In one mode, instead of being accelerated to smack into the end of a tube to produce x-rays, they were accelerated to impact the patient's tumor directly. In another mode, a metal target was placed in the path of the electron beam and the electrons would then scatter x-rays off the metal. The way it was supposed to work was that the electron-beam mode was low-current, and the x-ray mode was high current, but the race condition meant that you could enter the high current mode without the target being in place, so you wind up a massive dose of electrons without the shielding target in the way.

Oh, that makes sense.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
California (and maybe other states)has implemented mandatory dose tracking for ct due to poorly designed cerebral perfusion studies leaving bands of baldness on patients.

Also radiation is scary and poorly understood by the general population.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

We now return you to the horrible radioactive death discussion, already in progress.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

sure he's wearing stop pants, but still seems scary/unsafe to have your legs so close to the blade.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
its not necessary but usually better to have a buddy help use those milling attachments aka alaskan mills

got one sitting in the office right now but im probably not going to use it, lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it seems like the rails would stop any serious injuries. The worst that could happen is that it takes 1 inch off your flesh down the front/back of your body in an extremely unlikely worst case scenarion.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

sure he's wearing stop pants, but still seems scary/unsafe to have your legs so close to the blade.

This is a less adventurous version of that one goon's table mounted chainsaw rig, can someone repost it here please?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Platystemon posted:

They use a liquid stored in a reservoir implanted in the abdomen.

There are two‐piece alternatives where the fluid is stored in the balls, in the pump chamber.

Pro: surgery is less extensive.

Con: limited volume means there’s less difference between flaccid and erect states.

There’s also the “gooseneck” option:

Talk with your doctor about the risks.

"reservoir migration" :gonk:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fisting by many posted:

"reservoir migration" :gonk:

It could end up somewhere relatively harmless, or it could end up in the bladder. Yes, by digging through the wall.

quote:

Percutaneous drainage of the cyst was performed, with four litres of purulent fluid evacuated.

I’m going to suggest that civil engineers politicians start using “reservoir migration” to describe dam failures.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Hexyflexy posted:

You're asking me to get the GUI programmers to understand concurrency. I'm not loving god.

Maybe hire better programmers?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

"perfortation/erosion"... so there's a 10% chance that this thing will just erode its way through the flesh of one's dick and pop out like rusty rebar

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Pumped Up Dicks is a catchy tune until you listen to the lyrics, then its a song about blowing your dick up like its a little air mattress.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Pumped Up Dicks is a catchy tune until you listen to the lyrics, then its a song about blowing your dick up like its a little air mattress.

Robert's got a quick gland
He'll look around the room, he won't tell you his plan
He's got a rolled cigarette, hanging out his mouth he's a cowboy kid
Yeah he found a prick shootin' gun
In his dad's closet hidden oh in a box of fun things, I don't even know what
But he's coming for you, yeah he's coming for you

All the other pricks with the pumped up dicks
You'd better run, better run, faster than sound
You'd better run, better run, outrun my blowgun

(I'm truly sorry for this)

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 4, 2019

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

monolithburger posted:

Robert's got a quick gland
He'll look around the room, he won't tell you his plan
He's got a rolled cigarette, hanging out his mouth he's a cowboy kid
Yeah he found a prick shootin' gun
In his dad's closet hidden oh in a box of fun things, I don't even know what
But he's coming for you, yeah he's coming for you

You'd better run, better run, faster than sound
You'd better run, better run, outrun my blowgun

(I'm truly sorry for this)

:vince:

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Icon Of Sin posted:

I don’t think this one is on that list, but I could be mistaken. At any rate, this poor bastard looked directly into the beam of a particle accelerator.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski

I work at a synchrotron light source particle accelerator facility and the sheer amount of work that goes into ensuring no one is ever near the beam is pretty impressive.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Sex Skeleton posted:

Nobody likes to design GUIs so you generally end up with people who don't understand the back end. If you want to make sure some idiot mashing the button over and over again doesn't cause a problem, that's up to the back end/firmware developer.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

It's Goiânia because it always will be,

but I've just discovered "Tech pushed button on CT scan 151 times and doesn't remember"

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/16/us/16radiation.html

also
-unneeded CT scan
-on a toddler
-"Mike Morrison, the hospital’s lawyer, said that while it was possible Jacoby received more radiation than intended, “we don’t know that yet.”"
-Authorities only find out because of parents because the hospital failed to report it

It's like a smorgasboard of America.

edit:
I service and install X-ray equipement, and I always say that for general X-ray a tube will melt and the generator will shut down from duty cycle before producing a dangerous dose of radiation for a patient.
a CT is significantly higher dose (and tends to get over-prescribed) than a general X-ray, but is still not "Dangerous"
to give a patient enough dose to sunburn is literal criminal negligence (IMO)

I think you're missing one of the most outrageous facts of this case, the X-Ray tech was called Raven Knickerbocker.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Are you...are you thinking of Therac? Y'know, THE story of a radiation machine that emitted too much because of operator error? Like, the actual machine whose very name has become a shorthand for design hubris and overreliance on software?

e: oops beaten but mine has more disgust and shaming at the idea that you'd post in this thread without knowing what Therac was. Next you'll tell me you've never heard of the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory. Unbelievable.

It's way too far to blame the Therac-25 on Operator Error, it was and error by the operator but one that could not have happened in the Therac-20 they had been using and one that should not have been possible on the Therac-25.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Therac-25 is the case study in why you don't move hardware interlocks to software, why you need robust QA on critical systems and why UI design is really, really important. That an 'operator error' caused the deaths is exactly the issue - the system should not have allowed an operator error.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blacknose posted:

Therac-25 is the case study in why you don't move hardware interlocks to software, why you need robust QA on critical systems and why UI design is really, really important. That an 'operator error' caused the deaths is exactly the issue - the system should not have allowed an operator error.

Or rather operator error should always result in the least harmful outcome. You can't eliminate error because you can't read the operator's mind, but you can make sure that screwing up results in lost time rather than irradiated children.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Kazak posted:

This is a less adventurous version of that one goon's table mounted chainsaw rig, can someone repost it here please?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902292

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Or rather operator error should always result in the least harmful outcome. You can't eliminate error because you can't read the operator's mind, but you can make sure that screwing up results in lost time rather than irradiated children.

This is exactly what I mean. You have to assume operators will find whole new paths to navigate through your software and do things it shouldn't. The key is that when they do, it should prevent it, not go 'ok lol'

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

edited out because fatality involved sorry about it :(
the driver apparently lived.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 4, 2019

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

boar guy posted:

it's like being a soccer referee

someone's gotta do it

This was my job as a teen and it paid pretty well :shrug:

schmug
May 20, 2007

holy poo poo. How?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Okay, I'm not a carpenter or lumberjack, so can someone explain to me what purpose the hammer has in this enterprise? It's clearly not there by coincidence but I can't figure it out.

Dark Off posted:

But did all the bystanders at what looks like a bus stop that his car wiped out?! Jesus!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Dark Off posted:

Did the people they seemingly land on also live?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay, I'm not a carpenter or lumberjack, so can someone explain to me what purpose the hammer has in this enterprise? It's clearly not there by coincidence but I can't figure it out.

He uses it to drive wedges in behind the cut, it prevents the weight of the cut board from binding on the rig.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/Fpha6DY.mp4

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Sex Skeleton posted:

How? Alternatively: they cost too much!

Somewhere up the management chain is someone who definitely couldn't accurately identify a good programmer, and who most likely thinks a good programmer is one who completes their tasks on time without complaints, where "complete" is as defined by someone who knows nothing about programming.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Hell Yea!

Literally A Person posted:

I really like working wood. I spend a lot of time in my woodshop loving around with a variety of stupid crap. But get this: lumber is loving expensive. I do go and salvage wood when I get the chance but those chances are few and far between and it sucks to rely on someone wanting to get rid of something to start a project. So it dawned on me, I live in the woods. The woods. Perhaps called that because they contain some amount of wood. So now I can get logs. Problem: logs are big and all of my tools are for dealing with nothing larger than a 4x4" piece of lumber. Solution?

DANGER MILL!!!

Danger Mill is a tool I've been slapping together to get some boards out a log. Why the name DANGER MILL? Because it's really loving dangerous. So, upon cutting some boards with it I thought to myself "who out there would be interested in seeing some hick almost cut his hand off with a chainsaw?" The answer of course is GOONS!!!! So without further ado, here is some sweet DANGER MILL!!

Here's a quick rundown of my patent pending system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ib88Binyg

How to adjust DANGER MILL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlNbQ6ifHdI

And cutting a board with DANGER MILL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mK2PjMRsk

If any other goons out there have built incredibly dangerous tools I implore you to post about it, show it to us, and let us know when you lost your first fingat!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

My favorite part of watching Danger Mill is seeing the piece of wood immediately attempt to leap off the table.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Woodjumping is an advanced strategy in the home millers repertoire

coke
Jul 12, 2009

bolind posted:

Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but this was used on the brand new $80 lamp the wife hauled home:

Only the finest in precision Chinesium machining...

Also winter is here, check y'all's tires the next time you head out to your car.

coke fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 4, 2019

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Kazak posted:

Woodjumping is an advanced home milling strategy

Is there any way to harness kickback for jumpage? I can see a potential fairground level competition in this.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

monolithburger posted:

Is there any way to harness kickback for jumpage? I can see a potential fairground level competition in this.

You gotta rubberize your setup my dude. All the pros are galvanized

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wow yikes! The redesigned, safer vertical danger mill looks even MORE DANGER than the horizontal.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

How does a warehouse that size not have a dock to drive that thing off of? WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

chrisgt posted:

Nobody likes to design GUIs

I like to design GUIs :saddowns: It becomes very obvious after many years of writing software that a huge amount of devs either 1. hate it and half-rear end the entire UI 2. don't actually know how to make a UI that doesn't suck or 3. are designing a UI for something even passingly medicine-related, so it needs to be a fuckfest by the lord's decree. It seems like the quality of the user experience is often roughly equal to the inverse of the risk of the UI killing someone. I've always been curious about the UI/UX of the software involved in mining, industry and stuff like that since it seems like a place where a whole lot could go wrong, but I haven't heard many stories of people bypassing safety interlocks via software quirks, so I guess something is going right? Something related to hardware interlocks and actual safety regulations probably?

Also, I was looking more into the Therac-25, as I could have sworn I'd read that an operator just doing their thing normally but kinda fast could make it break (which turned out to be untrue, shockingly), and I found the long and concerning list of civilian radiation accidents

worrying amount of people going "oh this cool weird rock that seems to melt all the snow around it would make a nice heater, I immediately trust it and it's my warm friend", also IMMENSE MEDICAL OVERSIGHTS HOLY gently caress

quote:

November 16, 1992 – Indiana Regional Cancer Center – After treating a patient with HDR brachytherapy, personnel ignored alarms indicating high radiation levels and an available radiation survey meter was not used to confirm or rule out the area alarm's signal. A radioactive pellet of iridium-192 had broken off inside the patient during treatment. The patient was transported back to a nursing home where the catheter containing the radioactive pellet fell out four days later. The patient received a thousand times the intended dose and died several days later.
:stonk: loving CHRIST. One of them involves a 7 year old girl getting 8 full doses of radiation directly to the brain instead of a single dose over 8 visits, I hate it a lot