Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Lockback posted:

As someone with a 1070 I'm very much struggling with the "Wait or buy" decision. I don't really need a new GPU right now and I usually wait a few years between buys so I'd like to stretch it. But yeah, I'd really like to hear something from Nvidia one of these days.
My 1070 is pushing 1440P/144hz well enough on games that I can't justify a buy yet. Its kind of a weird spot to be in because the only games I need a whole lot of extra horsepower in are ones that are poorly optimized early-access titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Stickman posted:

Unfortunately, MSi’s Evoke and Mech cards have pretty terrible coolers. It’s worth spending a little extra money for a Powercolor Red Dragon or a Sapphire Pulse.

Any idea if the XFX DD Ultra is any good? I can only find one review, which rates it, but it's not on a site I've heard of before: http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1001168/XFX-Radeon-RX-5700-DD-Ultra-8GB-GDDR6-Video-Card-Review#axzz66zFONlSb. It's sub £300 for a non reference card which seems great value if it's good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lungboy posted:

Any idea if the XFX DD Ultra is any good?

It looks like the same cooler as the THICC but with the dumb extra plastic removed, so it's probably fine.

Meaty Ore posted:

What are thread recommendations for a Radeon RX 580 GPU? I'm updating/replacing a 10-year old build and am on a budget, so I can't go for a Radeon 5700/XT; even a GTX 1660 Super is pushing the limits of what I can spend. User reviews on Newegg seem to say there's QC issues for a lot of these cards, but I don't know how reliable those are. Any help from more knowledgeable goons?

Newegg reviews for cheap stuff always seem to me to sway negative even on stuff that's fine. I think because people who don't know what they're doing buy stuff and and try to plug their new 200w card into an OEM dell or crapbox with an overspeced PSU. I really don't think that 580s are flawed in some universal way.

But K8.0's buy used suggestion isn't a bad idea. There are probably a lot of used 1060s and 5x0s coming on the market right about now. Put up a WTB in SA mart and see if anyone will sell you one for under $150.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
You can get a used 570/580 for a song. Check SAmart or locally for people who don't want the hassle of ebay and have a card just sitting in a drawer somewhere.
Please don't spent money on a new one when the 1650Super exists now, which brings the same performance at half the power draw/noise/heat and with a much better video engine.

eames
May 9, 2009

buglord posted:

My 1070 is pushing 1440P/144hz well enough on games that I can't justify a buy yet. Its kind of a weird spot to be in because the only games I need a whole lot of extra horsepower in are ones that are poorly optimized early-access titles.

I can relate to that, my lowly 1070 also still does 120-165 FPS in all the titles I care about as long as the settings are toned down (typically medium/high with ultra textures).

All the small Turning chips (16 series) aren’t much faster than the old 1070 which is why I suspect it’ll stay viable for a while longer. My only regret is not buying a 1080ti on release. :)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lockback posted:

There's been nothing and the "Sometime in June/July" is 100% guesswork based on their typical release cycles. There possibly could be no new generation in 2020 at all.

As someone with a 1070 I'm very much struggling with the "Wait or buy" decision. I don't really need a new GPU right now and I usually wait a few years between buys so I'd like to stretch it. But yeah, I'd really like to hear something from Nvidia one of these days.

I'd say it's way more likely we'll get a *teaser* at Computex in June.

AMD's supposedly working on a high-end card, but my guess is we're going to end up with some 350W+ TDP monstrosity that'll perform within the 2080/2080Ti's stock performance levels, and they'll sell it for ~$699.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd say it's way more likely we'll get a *teaser* at Computex in June.

AMD's supposedly working on a high-end card, but my guess is we're going to end up with some 350W+ TDP monstrosity that'll perform within the 2080/2080Ti's stock performance levels, and they'll sell it for ~$699.

You know that 5700/5700xt pull about as much power as the same tier Nvidia cards, right?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Arzachel posted:

You know that 5700/5700xt pull about as much power as the same tier Nvidia cards, right?

Does amd have another card besides that that's competitive and over $200 lol

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
We'll see in a couple months most likely

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It looks like you can get a Radeon VII for $530 from Amazon now and that's competitive with the 2070 Super, but they probably have like 3 of those left in stock.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Don't buy Radeon VIIs

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
nvm

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Inept posted:

It looks like you can get a Radeon VII for $530 from Amazon now and that's competitive with the 2070 Super, but they probably have like 3 of those left in stock.

rx 5700xt is better and cheaper.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Anyone with a Radeon 5700 XT find a solution for the random display driver crashing/black screen hang? I've got it intermittently on pretty much every version of the drivers I've tried. Seems to be a somewhat common issue for 5700 XTs, but also seen it reported on older 500 series cards. Card's a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT, don't believe thermals or power are an issue. I get it especially bad while playing Imperator: Rome, which isn't that demanding of a title. Symptom is the driver silently crashes in the background, game will continue to play and sound continues to play (you can click on stuff and hear sound effects of buttons you're hitting, etc) but display freezes. If you're quick you can alt tab and close the process, if you're not quick eventually the video output dies, monitor(s) go to sleep, and you have to hard reset the system. Sometimes it happens two minutes into a game, sometimes it's stable for 30 or 60 minutes or so. No version of the drivers has been perfectly stable for me, but the least bad one is rolling back to the July 19.7.5 one. I've tried most versions between 19.8 and 19.11 without success. I'm about to try the 19.12 that just came out yesterday for shits and giggles.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Try to the new driver and see if it helps. What’s the rest of your system? I haven’t experienced this issue with my 5700 XT and 9900k.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Honestly I'd look at hardware. If you have any doubts about your PSU try swapping that out if you can, and get the card replaced if that isn't it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ItBreathes posted:

Don't buy Radeon VIIs

Surprisingly good at deep learning

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Malcolm XML posted:

how does it fare against Nvidia cards on that?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Malcolm XML posted:

Unlike people who keep buying Radeons

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

B-Mac posted:

Try to the new driver and see if it helps. What’s the rest of your system? I haven’t experienced this issue with my 5700 XT and 9900k.

Corsair 750w PSU (wanna say the HX750), MSI x570-A PRO mobo (currently on the September 1.0.0.3abba BIOS), Windows 10 Enterprise 1903, Ryzen 9 3900x at stock settings, 32gb Crucial Ballistix RAM at 3733 MHz. Runs Fallout 1 and Morrowind like a champ!

Played for a short while earlier on 19.12.1 and didn't experience any issues, but might've been lucky. I had stability issues early on when I first built this rig, but they were mostly ironed out by rolling back to the 19.7.5 drivers, I've only experienced crashes lately while playing Imperator. AMD seems to know about it, "Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may intermittently experience loss of display or video signal during gameplay." is listed as a known issue in each version of the drivers, and multiple people seem to be experiencing it with Imperator (Here's a thread on the Paradox forums about it). Might be a weird combination of goofy AMD drivers and goofy Paradox games, I dunno. I'm not the only one, so I don't think the card's bad.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

shrike82 posted:

how does it fare against Nvidia cards on that?

10% less than a 2080ti on fp32 but 50% less on fp16

For 1/2 the cost

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Apparently my PC uses 234 Watts when I max out the AMD 2700 (non-x) and the NV 1060 using Furmark and some CPU tool. Given that a 2060 Super uses 70 Watts more I should be fine with my beQuiet 400 Watts PSU despite the recommendation for a higher wattage, right? I was thinking of getting a GALAX GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER EX (alt name: 8GB KFA2 GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER EX) that's why I'm asking.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 4, 2019

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Apparently my PC uses 234 Watts when I max out the AMD 2700 (non-x) and the NV 1060 using Furmark and some CPU tool. Given that a 2060 Super uses 70 Watts more I should be fine with my beQuiet 400 Watts PSU despite the recommendation for a higher wattage, right? I was thinking of getting a GALAX GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER EX (alt name: 8GB KFA2 GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER EX) that's why I'm asking.

Is that 234 watts a hardware or software reading? You’ll need to account for the rest of you system too if your just reading cpu and GPU power draw off software. Most likely you’ll be fine but it might be cutting it close with a 400W PSU.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 4, 2019

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

B-Mac posted:

Is that 234 watts a hardware or software reading? You’ll need to account for the rest of you system too if your just reading cpu and GPU power draw off software. Most likely you’ll be fine but it might be cutting it close with a 400W PSU.
I have this little device and measured it. In the end I'll still better go for a 500 W just in case. Thanks.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

I have this little device and measured it. In the end I'll still better go for a 500 W just in case. Thanks.

If you measured it at the wall with a device you will most likely be ok then since it accounts for the whole system. A nice 550W might not be a bad idea if you current supplies warranty is up and gives you some more breathing room to upgrade.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Get a 650W - it shouldn't be appreciably more expensive. Never buy *just* as much PSU as you need - they lose efficiency over time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Bequiet generally does primo stuff. If that's one of their gold rated PSUs it will easily handle that upgrade, it'll still be in the 300w range which is just fine. I wouldn't bother replacing it unless it is 5 years old or so.

Most people way overbuy capacity on PSUs. Partly from the old days when PSUs were all much worse than they are now, the common info was to buy twice what your draw was to be in the peak of the PSU efficiency curve. Good modern PSUs don't have a curve, they're pretty much the same across nearly the whole watt range. But also because once you start looking at just the quality brands with gold or better efficiency, there often isn't much price difference between the 450-750 ratings.

I'm no exception, I have a 650 watt PSU powering a system that barely needs 300. When I got my 650 it was like $5 more than the 450 size.

(Also if you are in the US the moron in chief's trade war with china means PSUs are kinda expensive.)

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Never buy *just* as much PSU as you need - they lose efficiency over time.

This is not true. The main thing that "wears out" on PSUs is the caps, and those are going to affect power quality far more than efficiency.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 4, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Where are you seeing that a 2060 Super only draws 70 watts? That’d be 1650-level power consumption. Under heavy gaming loads a 2060 super can draw up to 200 watts.

It’s also nice to have a little headroom in case a future GPU upgrade requires more power, especially with a PSU that has a 10-year warranty!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 4, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You used to have to account for spinny drives and CDROMS too, which I assume this system has neither. I agree, if your BeQuiet PSU is less than 5 years old I'd ride it out. Over 5 years probably a good idea to get a new one anyway.

Stickman posted:

Where are you seeing that a 2060 Super only draws 70 watts? That’d be 1650-level power consumption. Under heavy gaming loads a 2060 super can draw up to 200 watts.

It’s also nice to have a little headroom in case a future GPU upgrade requires more power, especially with a PSU that has a 10-year warranty!

He meant 70 watts more than his current GPU (1060)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PSU efficiency curves being what they are there's basically no downside to buying a larger PSU than you need, for price. Most any computer will pass the 20% threshold under load.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lockback posted:

He meant 70 watts more than his current GPU (1060)

Whoops, that's what I get for posting first thing in the morning :cripes:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh Raja, you so silly: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-xe-rumors-development-reportedly-stagnating-and-efficiency-worse-than-its-competitors.html

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

It would be preposterous if that wasn't the case I think

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey, guys? Between this and the "we called it Ponte Veccio so I can cop a free trip to Italy", I'm starting to think that maybe Raja isn't very good at his job...

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 4, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
But how is the shroud progressing?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Klyith posted:

Honestly I'd look at hardware. If you have any doubts about your PSU try swapping that out if you can, and get the card replaced if that isn't it.

Also start simple - could be a finicky display cable, make sure it's all connected securely on both ends

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The curse

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Don't know if this is interesting to anyone, but since I asked questions about it and got some advice earlier in the thread, here goes a quick trip report/brain dump from doing a Kraken G12 + X62 (280mm AIO) mod on an Asus Strix 2080Ti.

Overall it was quite simple as far as modding goes, took maybe 90 minutes to do. Original cooler was quite easy to disassemble and the fan and RGB connectors were easily accessible. Nothing like the wacky "50 screws and hotglue" stuff on the founders edition cards. I had to remove the backplate for installation, but I think I could've put it back on afterwards if I wanted to. I don't see the point though since it doesn't have any thermal pads and there's airflow from the CPU cooler just above the card, so I figure I'll leave it off. Most spooky part of the operation was trying to judge appropriate mounting pressure for the pump/coldplate. Installed the radiator in pull configuration but the existing chassis fans give it quite a bit of help with pushing from the other side as well.

Only had time for a few short benchmarks yet but it looks good so far. Max temperature I've seen so with 330W power consumption has been 48C, but I haven't tried to heat soak the liquid properly yet. I haven't put any heatsinks on the VRM's or the VRAM yet either, but honestly it might not be needed at all. I was somewhat concerned about the VRM's on the "wrong" side of the GPU die since they don't have any airflow from the Kraken's fan, but it really doesn't seem to be a problem - the card's VRM temperature monitoring says 63C has been the max so far (I've seen 70C on the stock cooler), and while I don't know which power stage it's measuring, the no-airflow power stages haven't been uncomfortably hot to the touch at least. The VRM is honestly so overbuilt that this really doesn't surprise me. I'm somewhat more concerned about the VRAM though, since it doesn't have temperature monitoring and is mounted under the G12 bracket so it's hard to get airflow to. Might try to figure out some janky rear end ziptie fan mount for that in the coming days. It's hard to mount heatsinks on it since the mounting bracket is in the way.

I installed CAM for fan/pump speed control but eeeh, I'd rather avoid it and just use Argus monitor instead. It's annoying that you can't control the pump speed without their special software, but that's what I get for buying without bewaring and I can't return it now. Think I'll hook up the radiator fans to a motherboard fan header tomorrow, just leave the pump at 100% and uninstall CAM.

After that I guess the next step is trying to flash a VBIOS with a higher power limit - I chose this card mostly because it was on sale, but as a bonus it also has dual BIOS, so I think I might just give it a shot. Gotta put that 750W PSU I bought years ago and felt silly about to good use.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 5, 2019

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Why did they name the card after the second or third Blackwater reboot? :confused:

What is a good device to use to measure that? I do a lot of folding@home when I'm not gaming and currently have 2x GPU in my case (but one is a 1050 so lol) but I'm half-considering upgrading the "good" GPU (a 970, also lol) in the spring, so I should probably know how hard I'm pushing my PSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zarin posted:

What is a good device to use to measure that? I do a lot of folding@home when I'm not gaming and currently have 2x GPU in my case (but one is a 1050 so lol) but I'm half-considering upgrading the "good" GPU (a 970, also lol) in the spring, so I should probably know how hard I'm pushing my PSU.

A Kill-A-Watt is a solid choice. Should run you about $20. There are plenty of others around that price point, as well, that I'd imagine do just as good a job of things.